Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Question I wonder... what makes this game worth coming back to?

    Other than more promises and a little progress, what makes this game worth coming back to, when EVERYTHING revolves around "the new place"? Why would you want to play the rest of the game's immense world, if still nothing matters? I don't understand why people keep giving Blizzard a pass on not updating anything in the world since Cataclysm (which itself was horribly done). All the Titan stuff that has happened, the things we -supposedly- know about Azeroth, all the little sub plots that are just gone by the wayside, the influence of the Old Gods, the Twilight's Hammer cult, all the Naga now without a queen, the Burning Legion without Sargeras, on and on and on.

    I mean, why won't MicroActiBlizzionsoft just take the loss of 4 years of silence and make a new MMO where they can write a story as full of woke, weird and stupid bullshit as they want instead of beating the dead horse's corpse into a fine powder? There's really not much of Warcraft left to speak of. So, what makes this game worth coming back to for ANYONE?

  2. #2
    Herald of the Titans Rendark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,742
    It's fun to play.

  3. #3
    Music and Visual Landscapes, sense of immersion that goes along with that.

  4. #4
    Not a fucking thing. Other games do it better w/o the bullshit.

  5. #5
    Some people are new to the game, so the content that is old to us is new to them. New expansions and content are always fun, especially when they can give weeks, months and years of something to do. When you buy an expansion, you are playing a new game, the old stuff is optional.

  6. #6
    To expand on your point, there are better written side quests in ffiv than wow's recent msqs. Who gives a shit about pUrTy CoLoRs when it's devoid of any meaningful narrative?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by beast6228 View Post
    Some people are new to the game, so the content that is old to us is new to them. New expansions and content are always fun, especially when they can give weeks, months and years of something to do. When you buy an expansion, you are playing a new game, the old stuff is optional.
    that's a TINY, TINY, TINY, TINY minority of players. like half a dozen. so that's not really a valid point.

  7. #7
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    343
    Veteran player game is familiar and easy to get into and understandable I have tried other games and it takes me Over 30.minutes just to set up an account and try to get in the game then once your in the game it's all open world do whatever you want..they don't tell you how to play what to do..anything..hate the talents are too convoluted..Just a mess..I have tried eso,guildwars 2 lord of the rings online starsold republic aion ,ffix reborn..rangnorok..secret world ,..but none of these games hold my attention..world of Warcraft is my game..period..

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    Other than more promises and a little progress, what makes this game worth coming back to, when EVERYTHING revolves around "the new place"? Why would you want to play the rest of the game's immense world, if still nothing matters? I don't understand why people keep giving Blizzard a pass on not updating anything in the world since Cataclysm (which itself was horribly done).
    Why do I care about the rest of the world when I've already played through it, and the new stuff is what's fun and current?


    Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    All the Titan stuff that has happened, the things we -supposedly- know about Azeroth, all the little sub plots that are just gone by the wayside, the influence of the Old Gods, the Twilight's Hammer cult, all the Naga now without a queen, the Burning Legion without Sargeras, on and on and on.
    I believe they'll get to those things over time, as they fit the expansion stories.

    Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    I mean, why won't MicroActiBlizzionsoft just take the loss of 4 years of silence and make a new MMO where they can write a story as full of woke, weird and stupid bullshit as they want instead of beating the dead horse's corpse into a fine powder? There's really not much of Warcraft left to speak of. So, what makes this game worth coming back to for ANYONE?
    First, it's hilarious that you think they could somehow build a new MMO in 4 years, and actually have enough content to satisfy the playerbase(literally no MMO has ever had enough to satisfy people).

    Second, we come back to the game because it's fucking fun, why else? If you don't find it fun, leave, there's literally hundreds of other games you could be playing instead of making threads like these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    i find it hard to believe some random raid from BFA would draw in more players than the battleground patch in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    FruitySalad boy, this is a fantastic thread and is really going places. I just want to make sure I'm on page one of what is bound to be a long lasting and productive thread. It's amazing there are no other threads discussing the squish, as I'm confident you would have just posted in them if they did exist.

  9. #9
    Draenei rogues. Nuff said ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    To expand on your point, there are better written side quests in ffiv than wow's recent msqs. Who gives a shit about pUrTy CoLoRs when it's devoid of any meaningful narrative?
    Sure, but who gives a fuck about story? Certainly not anyone I've ever played this game with in the last 16+ years. FF14s gameplay feels like shit, so why would I care about its "narrative"?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Sure, but who gives a fuck about story? Certainly not anyone I've ever played this game with in the last 16+ years. FF14s gameplay feels like shit, so why would I care about its "narrative"?
    Enough people care about it to make the jump from wow, just sayin'. The numbers don't lie, and your anecdotes aren't evidence.

  12. #12
    Over 9000! Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,556
    Right now, not a damn thing. The long-awaited new playable class is pigeonholed into the new ugly race. Oh, and don't forget the class is essentially just another kind of mage, which no one had asked for.

    We have no idea who the main villain is for us to care. They're going to try to promote "adventure" as the hook in a game everyone will know what happens a year before it's out due to testing and beta.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    The numbers don't lie, and your anecdotes aren't evidence.
    Yawn. Your anecdotes matter, mine don't, whatever. I'm just tired of this imaginary position that some crazy high percentage of all gamers place "storyline" at the top of reasons to play a videogame and that obviously the reason people are leaving a game they've been playing for over a decade for a game they've never played before is exclusively because of the "narrative". It's horseshit, the number of people who care about that is infinitesimal versus the number of people who care about gameplay.

  14. #14
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,979
    nothing that can't be obtained from better games.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Yawn. Your anecdotes matter, mine don't, whatever. I'm just tired of this imaginary position that some crazy high percentage of all gamers place "storyline" at the top of reasons to play a videogame and that obviously the reason people are leaving a game they've been playing for over a decade for a game they've never played before is exclusively because of the "narrative". It's horseshit, the number of people who care about that is infinitesimal versus the number of people who care about gameplay.
    Funnily enough my entire RL Friend Group and most of my large Guild that played WoW for years together all went to FFXIV once the WoW story really tanked hard.

    So it's enough for me by pure percentage of People I interact with doing it, to realise its a genuine factor.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Sure, but who gives a fuck about story? Certainly not anyone I've ever played this game with in the last 16+ years. FF14s gameplay feels like shit, so why would I care about its "narrative"?
    People don't care about the story if it's not written well.
    The only really good stories WoW has ever written, were those of Arthas, Illidan, Garrosh and the Mograine family and that's the reason why they keep recycling their stories to no end. And to top it all off, WoW has so many plot holes that it doesn't even make sense anymore.

    FF14 tells a story about hope, forgiveness and meaning of live in various ways, from many different perspectives and I'm not ashamed to say, that this game made me cry so many times and still does when I rewatch the cutscenes or hear the outstanding songs i connect to certain events. And that is something WoW, even in it's glory days, has never accomplished for me.
    And you don't even need to buy a single book or comic or find some hidden away webcomic to fully understand their story.

    And when the story is written well, people care. In FF14 nobody will spoil the story for you, people will encourage you to play the MSQ and they wait for you to watch the cutscenes if you're new. People will be mad at you if you pull a boss while someone is watching the cutscene in a dungeon because they actually DO care.

  16. #16
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Enough people care about it to make the jump from wow, just sayin'. The numbers don't lie, and your anecdotes aren't evidence.
    Where’s your evidence that people have swapped from WoW to FF? Or are you just making shit up?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Enough people care about it to make the jump from wow, just sayin'. The numbers don't lie, and your anecdotes aren't evidence.
    ah yeas, the "numbers" dont lie, except we dont have official numbers for WOW since WOD and afaik we dont have official numbers for FF either...
    so what numbers are you exactly talking about, those guestimates someone pulled out of their asses which might be completely off the target?

    anecdotes aren't evidence is the only part you said thats true - and you have nothing else to base your OPINION on, so, maybe dont try to pretend otherwise?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    nothing that can't be obtained from better games.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Funnily enough my entire RL Friend Group and most of my large Guild that played WoW for years together all went to FFXIV once the WoW story really tanked hard.

    So it's enough for me by pure percentage of People I interact with doing it, to realise its a genuine factor.
    Nobody in my guild cares about the story. Not in my previous guilds either. Probably because they are raiding guilds. You play this game for the group experience, not for story of any single player aspect. That is its forte. If you're looking for something else as priority, you're better off finding a different game.

  19. #19
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Enough people care about it to make the jump from wow, just sayin'. The numbers don't lie, and your anecdotes aren't evidence.
    It's true that anecdotes are not evidence. It's even more true that numbers don't lie but there are no numbers to know from either MMO so I have no idea what you're talking about.

    Word of caution to everyone else who might not know: Anyone telling you they know "the numbers" is talking out of a place south and behind their head.
    Two rules for living: "Don't go around hurting each other. Try to understand things." — William Least Heat-Moon (Blue Highways)

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Nymrohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,053
    The value proposition of a new expansion launch is crazy. The amount of decent gameplay time you can get at the very least in the first 2-3 months of a WoW expansion matches or surpasses pretty much any other game or really, form of entertainment. it's value for money. It's why however bad the numbers get by the end of an expac, each release does amazingly well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •