Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    BTW, has anything official called the character a tiefling? Or is this just an assumption from the online discourse?
    There was a twitter put out with the official names and classes of the characters and they said she was a tiefling in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Sure.

And if you google 'Monk WoW' the most common image that pops up is the Pandaren Monk.

I wouldn't by any means equate that google search as Pandarens being the most popular race for the Monk. We have data that tells us otherwise, with Human and Blood Ef Monks having 4x more picks than Pandaren of either faction.

Common depictions =/= popularity.
    Nice double standard, too bad the images we find are people drawing/making commission on their characters

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Nice double standard, too bad the images we find are people drawing/making commission on their characters
    What do commissions have to do with anything? WoW census and armory data that tells us Humans and BE are the highest picked Monk races. Why would you even consider fanart a metric of popularity? lol

There is no reliable metric to gauge the popularity of any given Tiefling skin color. All we can say is that the most common depiction is red skin. Red skin being popular is not defined by what the official art portrays or how often it's portrayed in that way.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-28 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    This was a fascinating post, thank you.

Along the lines of the ever-changing appearance of things in D&D, I highly recommend the book, Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History. This is a hefty book that contains a vast number of illustrations from the history of D&D, talking about how the visual appearance of the game has been developed over the decades.

If you're a fan of D&D, you would love this book.
    *nods* That old stuff has immense charm.
    I'd add the Dragon Archive for a more complete collection, Dragon Magazine, issues 1-250 in cds.

So, the first movie with the infamous purple lipstick baddie was quite dreadful. But the second movie, Wrath of the Dragon God, I found quite enjoyable and a lot more faithful to the source material (especially if you look at deleted scenes where staples like the Vorpal Blade were given a lot more attention).

This looks... okay. Not a fan of the trailer's light-hearted tone, but that might just be marketing BS. Besides, there's mimics and spell interactions in this one, so it can't be that bad. I'm almost sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    So, the first movie with the infamous purple lipstick baddie was quite dreadful. But the second movie, Wrath of the Dragon God, I found quite enjoyable and a lot more faithful to the source material (especially if you look at deleted scenes where staples like the Vorpal Blade were given a lot more attention).

This looks... okay. Not a fan of the trailer's light-hearted tone, but that might just be marketing BS. Besides, there's mimics and spell interactions in this one, so it can't be that bad. I'm almost sold.
    I expect it to be Marvel Entertainment levels of comedy. Plenty of serious moments, and heated battles, with comedy in between to break up the tension.

Basically, a D&D Campaign. lol
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

What do commissions have to do with anything?
    Because people ask art for the characters they play, or they draw themselves

If you find more red or purple tieflings, obviously there is more people playing then, thus, they are more popular among players, easy.

Because people ask art for the characters they play, or they draw themselves

If you find more red or purple tieflings, obviously there is more people playing then, thus, they are more popular among players, easy.
    Yeah, and if you google tiefling fanart you'd see just as many blue tieflings as red and purple. Hell, half of them are fanart of Jester FFS.

Again, not quite sure what you're measuring here unless your google somehow discriminates against showing you blue tieflings or some shit.

Yeah, and if you google tiefling fanart you'd see just as many blue tieflings as red and purple. Hell, half of them are fanart of Jester FFS.

Again, not quite sure what you're measuring here unless your google somehow discriminates against showing you blue tieflings or some shit.
    When did i say you don't find blue tieflings? you find white, black, many colors, yet, you still find more red ones. Unless your own google have the same bias as yourself. ah yes, people usually don't play with fanart, its just a fanart.

When did i say you don't find blue tieflings? you find white, black, many colors, yet, you still find more red ones. Unless your own google have the same bias as yourself. ah yes, people usually don't play with fanart, its just a fanart.
    How is that a metric for anything?

You won't find many fanart of Blood Elf and Human Monks compared to fanart of Pandaren Monks, yet they are still highly popular and more played than the individual Pandaren Monks of each faction. Fanart is not a metric of popularity.

Fanart is fanart.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-28 at 05:19 PM.

All of Dungeons and Dragons is subject to change at any time by the DM and players.

The information in the books are guidelines, not really hard rules.

Debating anything in D&D as "but this is what the book says" is a failed stance from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I have no doubt this movie will be a cringe-fest and misses all it's intended marks, but man....there's a MIMIC in this movie!!!!
    For all we know, EVERYTHING in this movie is a mimic!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    For all we know, EVERYTHING in this movie is a mimic!
    The DVD OF the movie is Mimic!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    All of Dungeons and Dragons is subject to change at any time by the DM and players.

The information in the books are guidelines, not really hard rules.

Debating anything in D&D as "but this is what the book says" is a failed stance from the get go.
    It's way sadder than that, it's a "my opinion is right" cringefest.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It's way sadder than that, it's a "my opinion is right" cringefest.
    I guess you aren't wrong lol. Folks with social issues (which D&D has a reputation of attracting) wouldn't amicably agree to disagree lol.

How is that a metric for anything?

You won't find many fanart of Blood Elf and Human Monks compared to fanart of Pandaren Monks, yet they are still highly popular and more played than the individual Pandaren Monks of each faction. Fanart is not a metric of popularity.

Fanart is fanart.
    its funny that you are trying to comapre the mmo with the tabletop

And bs that you won't find fanart about then, the very first image i find about "wow monk" is a blood elf, good try mate

This thread is a living stereotype of D&D players.

1). This trailer looks cool, finally maybe a good D&D movie.

2) This trailer would be cool but Druids can’t change into Owlbears unless they are way higher level.

3). Forget the owlbear, that Tiefling is so not lore friendly. Dude, get your flipping editions straight 5e noob. Editions 2 and 3 are the original real Tiefling.

4). Forget which edition, either way the horns are don’t come off the top of the head they come off the forehead so it’s still crap work being faithful to the source material.

5) So on and so forth.

I'd assumed this movie would be terrible when I first heard about it, but now that we have the trailer it looks good.

I don't care if it's not entirely accurate to the rules, that kind of pedantic rules lawyering won't have any impact on how much I enjoy the movie. I'm pleasantly surprised so far and hope it's good.

its funny that you are trying to comapre the mmo with the tabletop

And bs that you won't find fanart about then, the very first image i find about "wow monk" is a blood elf, good try mate
    And you can find a Blue Tiefling when you google Tieflings. Isn't your argument that the more common depiction = more popular? Well, are you seeing more Blood Elf monks there than Pandaren? Didn't think so.

I mean if google searches are measurements of popularity, then all those Morbius memes must mean the movie was hella popular right? It's Morbin' time!

Not sure why this thread basically turned into 8 pages of arguing about tieflings but here's my contribution since I love tieflings.

I despise 4e's homogenization of tieflings being one distinct race stemming from asmodeus, they admit others exist but they aren't really talked about beyond being options on a sheet and all official depictions after 4e have very similar and very exaggerated fiendish features of the asmodeus bloodline, which makes them look more fiendish then literal half demons.

For tieflings I will always stick to 3.5e

"Many tieflings are indistinguishable from humans. Others have small horns, pointed teeth, red eyes, a whiff of brimstone about them, or even cloven feet. No two tieflings are the same."

So the one in the movie is perfectly fine by me.