Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    And you can find a Blue Tiefling when you google Tieflings. Isn't your argument that the more common depiction = more popular? Well, are you seeing more Blood Elf monks there than Pandaren? Didn't think so.
    Yes, because red is more common and popular than blue

    Again, your comparison is a fail one, there is a difference in fanart and peopl drawing commission their own character.

    Since you want to stick with this dead argument, now count for me, how many human skinned tieflings you find, compared to the red/purple/blue ones?

    yeah m8, the red tiefling(and others), are way more common and popular, you are wrong either way

    I mean if google searches are measurements of popularity, then all those Morbius memes must mean the movie was hella popular right? It's Morbin' time!
    Bad popularity still is popularity. Popularity does not equal quality all the time.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Not sure why this thread basically turned into 8 pages of arguing about tieflings but here's my contribution since I love tieflings.
    Because people start bitching about me saying it would be better to put a more common tiefling in the screen, meaning, with more strong devilish features, like different skin, and i suggest red.

  2. #202
    Scarab Lord 3DTyrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Aether
    Posts
    4,178
    Never played D&D but it kinda interests me, so I'll probably end up watching it.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!
    Avatar drawn by Sir Meo

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Because people start bitching about me saying it would be better to put a more common tiefling in the screen, meaning, with more strong devilish features, like different skin, and i suggest red.
    Nope. That's not how you started this.

    What you said was that the character didn't even look like a tiefling because she didn't have tiefling features. You're just flat out wrong about that, which is what others have been pointing out. If all you'd said was "I kinda wish they'd gone with a different design", this thread would probably be about 7 pages shorter.

  4. #204
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Nope. That's not how you started this.
    That was literally what i said, very first post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    even the supposed tiefling look like a human with horns, (although the 5e corebook says tieflings with human skin colors are a possibility, the eyes aren't, and overall tieflings are well know for their red-color)they prob wanted to play safe without someone with different skin colors to put off the audience who is not a fan, but end up rly disappointing, at least some tan or dark skin would be much better..
    its going on 7 pages because its too hard to read when people here just want to argue for the sake of argue

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    That was literally what i said, very first post:

    its going on 7 pages because its too hard to read when people here just want to argue for the sake of argue
    Then like, 2 posts later...

    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    ...she have no demonic characteristics whatsoever

    ...they should however, look like they have some devil-ish features, this one doesn't.
    That was when you started trying to argue about what features a tiefling SHOULD have by only using a narrow description and ignoring older established lore and newer, popular examples.

  6. #206
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Then like, 2 posts later...



    That was when you started trying to argue about what features a tiefling SHOULD have by only using a narrow description and ignoring older established lore and newer, popular examples.
    Thats because, like i said, people start to bitch about what i think they should have, and start making up stuff.

    in my eyes, she doesn't, its just a satyr and/or druid stuff, period.

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Thats because, like i said, people start to bitch about what i think they should have, and start making up stuff.

    in my eyes, she doesn't, its just a satyr and/or druid stuff, period.
    You have apparently never played the game before the abomination that was 4e.

  8. #208
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,860
    I liked 4e for what it was. I wouldn't go back to it though.
    /s

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Never played D&D but it kinda interests me, so I'll probably end up watching it.
    There's some really good podcasts that you could try if you like the style shown in the trailer Glass Cannon and Critical Role and Adventure Zone come to mind.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Popularity does not equal quality all the time.
    I guess it depends on how you define "quality", but yeah - it's actually very common for hugely popular things to not be very sophisticated or critically acclaimed.

    Like, no one is ever going to argue a McDonald's burger is a particularly good burger, but dammit if they don't sell millions upon millions of them.

    All depends on the metric you're employing, and often it's easy to skew things one way or the other by simple implicit bias - like ignoring cost, for example (very popular), or focusing entirely on one "quality" characteristic while ignoring others.

    Remember: to the movie industry, a "good" film is often the one that makes the most profit :P

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    There's some really good podcasts that you could try if you like the style shown in the trailer Glass Cannon and Critical Role and Adventure Zone come to mind.
    Of those 3 only Critical Role is exclusively D&D5E (at least as far as the actual campaigns), GCP is mostly Pathfinder 1E (and now starting to move into 2E), AZ is mostly 5E with a little bit of other systems.

    I only mention it because, while it won't have a huge effect on the listeners enjoyment, there are some mechanical differences between the systems to keep in mind for people planning on eventually playing in their own campaigns.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  12. #212
    I think i just kind of outgrew D&D and the type of game it represents, but boy was Planescape fun back in the day! Even with bad rules it just had so many interesting ideas and concepts.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    I think i just kind of outgrew D&D and the type of game it represents, but boy was Planescape fun back in the day! Even with bad rules it just had so many interesting ideas and concepts.
    My personal D&D is and always will be Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. Yes they're very specific slices of very specific and very modified rule sets - but that's what D&D is to me, not the Pnp weirdness of the n-th iteration.

    Besides, at this point it's probably important to distinguish between the lore and the mechanics anyway - the film is likely to focus heavily on the WORLD of D&D, while people playing it have to engage with the mechanics of it, which likely won't feature much in the film. I do expect them to add a nod or two; maybe someone rolls an actual die and it lands on a 20 (or 1) or something, or we have some counter-intuitive behavior that's a veiled allusion to some abstruse mechanic. But it'll be a small, momentary thing.

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    I think i just kind of outgrew D&D and the type of game it represents, but boy was Planescape fun back in the day! Even with bad rules it just had so many interesting ideas and concepts.
    Planescape, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Al Qadim. 2e had the best and most original settings.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Of those 3 only Critical Role is exclusively D&D5E (at least as far as the actual campaigns), GCP is mostly Pathfinder 1E (and now starting to move into 2E), AZ is mostly 5E with a little bit of other systems.

    I only mention it because, while it won't have a huge effect on the listeners enjoyment, there are some mechanical differences between the systems to keep in mind for people planning on eventually playing in their own campaigns.
    Was more talking about the style than the game system necessarily.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Was more talking about the style than the game system necessarily.
    Yeah, I get it...I was just mentioning it because a lot of people watch/listen to those examples and decide they want to start playing.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  17. #217
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    You have apparently never played the game before the abomination that was 4e.
    I did start with 3.5e but i do prefer the 4e version where they are not half goat, sue me.

    memes aside 4e was not that bad

    i would never go back, but still

  18. #218
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Banned to the Bone.
    Posts
    2,878
    How to destroy a MOVIE thread with endless and pointless drivel on an unimportant related topic in a franchise known for its wide berth on implementation imagination.

    Courtesy of Syegfryed.
    /spit@Blizzard

  19. #219
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    How to destroy a MOVIE thread with endless and pointless drivel on an unimportant related topic in a franchise known for its wide berth on implementation imagination.

    Courtesy of Syegfryed.
    If people can't endure different opinions thats on then buddy, and look at you, bringing back the discussion

  20. #220
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Banned to the Bone.
    Posts
    2,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    If people can't endure different opinions thats on then buddy, and look at you, bringing back the discussion
    I don't care whose opinion on tieflings is right or wrong. You derailed the thread. Stop it.
    /spit@Blizzard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •