Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
18
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Because they are.
    Based on what metric?

    All you're going on is your opinion of what is most popular, lol. Blue Tiefling is also highly popular because of Jester in Critical Role, which has a wider-reaching mainstream audience. Many people may recognize Tieflings through Jester before they even opened or read the 5e handbook, and they would recognize a Blue Tiefling as being the more popular version. It's a matter of perspective.

    That is exactly what I'm pointing out. It's your opinion on the matter. You're fine to have the opinion that red or purple tiefling is most popular, but it doesn't make it factually relevant because there is no way for you to define it as being the most popular depiction. Popularity constantly shifts and gets redefined. Like, I would even go as far as saying the most popular Tiefling in mainstream pop culture right now is probably Jester. Few other well-known Tieflings in any other media come to mind.

    The mere existence of this movie trailer and having millions of eyeballs (16m at the time of this post) on that new Tiefling character potentially makes that one character the most recognized Tiefling to date. And the character's design? Loosely based on the 3rd edition depiction of a 'human' skinned Tiefling, which is also official art.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-27 at 05:08 PM.

  2. #142
    Holy shit y'all are STILL arguing about Tieflings? Give it a bloody rest.

  3. #143
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And "Not human eyes" is not what is described in the book. That's a feature you have decided on.
    Believe what you want man, the book does not say normal human eyes.

    I'm not "weirdly nitpicking". You keep moving the goalposts.
    there is no moving goalposts, you people are just making stuff up.

    You're the one that is complaining that the Tiefling in the movie isn't accurate...and you are basing that off of "official art" that also isn't, according to the printed rules of the game, accurate.
    So you are basically saying we should pick what is the "accurate" version, despite official art and the book ones being official and canon? ok

    Like i said, regardless of what you think, the image people see when they imagine a tiefling is not a normal human with horns, it think it would be better to make the tiefling in the movie like most people know then, end.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Based on what metric?
    Dunno, maybe play the game and be part of the communities, search fannart of people characters, pinterest and google is full of then

    All you're going on is your opinion of what is most popular, lol. Blue Tiefling is also highly popular because of Jester in Critical Role, which has a wider-reaching mainstream audience.
    Blue tiefling was already a thing before her, and yet, she is not more popular than the red/purple ones.

    That is exactly what I'm pointing out. It's your opinion on the matter.
    I like how everything in this forums you try to make up as its nothing is objective, nothing is something right or factually truth, tis all about "opinions",Despite we having plenty of exampls to proof that

    Well friend, its your opinion that there is not something more popular or well know than another.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Dunno, maybe play the game and be part of the communities, search fannart of people characters, pinterest and google is full of then
    Then you're just talking about popularity of your own little community.

    Blue tiefling was already a thing before her, and yet, she is not more popular than the red/purple ones.
    Again, based on what metric? Google even shows plenty of Blues amongst the reds and purples that you listed. What is making Red and Purple definitively more popular? You're saying be part of the communities, yet the communities themselves are not definitively what decides something to be most popular. You're talking about individual places.

    Just like this forum is a WoW community yet its collective opinions do not reflect community-wide popularity. You'd find New Class discussion here wildly different from any other community, like Reddit or the WoW forums or Discord.

    I like how everything in this forums you try to make up as its nothing is objective, nothing is something right or factually truth, tis all about "opinions",Despite we having plenty of exampls to proof that

    Well friend, its your opinion that there is not something more popular or well know than another.
    If you have proof then show it. I see nothing here but more opinion from you really.

    I showed you my proof. 16m views of a trailer that has a Tiefling in it. How many communities can you boast with that level of recognition?

    And you are correct. Anecdotal evidence is not objective fact. That is why I can counter your argument by providing a different observation that is equally true. There can be multiple perspectives that offer multiple views of the same source to be true.

    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-27 at 05:29 PM.

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Believe what you want man, the book does not say normal human eyes.
    I've told you exactly what the book says about eyes. This whole "not normal eyes" is something you invented. According to the books...Tieflings should have eyes that are a solid colour. You brought in "official art" that doesn't follow the rules. At the same time you are complaining that the movie doesn't follow those rules.

    there is no moving goalposts, you people are just making stuff up.
    I mean, we can go through everything you said. First you said she had no demonic features. People pointed out that she has horns and a tail. Then you moved the goal posts to her horns not being animal and not demonic. Then I specifically pointed out that the horns can be of various shapes, styles, and colours. Then you moved the goalposts to the horns not being exactly like the horns on two pieces of official artwork. Which i then pointed out that even that official artwork does not follow the actual description of Tiefling eyes.

    So, the only way the movie isn't being accurate about Tiefling appearance is with her eyes. And you're fine with official art that also isn't accurate about the eyes.


    So you are basically saying we should pick what is the "accurate" version, despite official art and the book ones being official and canon? ok
    The "official art" you brought up doesn't even follow the rules you think are so important
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Ahh another senseless Syegfryed discussion...
    This is a masterclass in argument trolling. After 10 pages, if you can accurately guess what his stance is you win 100 MMO-Coins.

  7. #147
    Okay...the game-rules lawyer? Congratulations, no one wants to play with you.
    The convention's exit door is that way.

  8. #148
    this looks like it will suck but im gonna watch it

  9. #149
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,466
    Ok, this actually looks decent. CGI is solid, Chris Pine likeable like always. The fact they used a black drogon burping acid (instead of a standard red) seems to indicate they know, and care, about source material. Main worries for me are possibility of generic/obnoxious jokes and the fact they may have to really rush with exposition, considering the amount of stuff we saw in the trailer.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-27 at 06:07 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  10. #150
    Black dragon breathing acid…displacer beast…owlbear, red Thayan wizard, there was so much being shown, I hope there's more.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Black dragon breathing acid…displacer beast…owlbear, red Thayan wizard, there was so much being shown, I hope there's more.
    Did you notice them jumping into the Gelatinous Cube to dodge the Displacer Beast?

  12. #152
    Over 9000! Spirit Halloween Voter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Javelin of Shitposts, Post-and-Forget
    Posts
    9,090
    Looks cool. Reminded me to check out the old SSI Gold Box games on Steam. They're on sale.

    Not ever sure if branding a movie with DnD actually helps. Glad it's having a resurgence through podcasting, but it still feels niche. How will casual audiences respond? Watching Stranger Things with my kids. They didnt believe the Satanic Panic or insane bullying were real things 80's.
    Welcome to MMO-C. One you realize that the median poster is a Johnny Depp fanboi that consume 8 hours of youtube a day. You realize it's hopeless.

  13. #153
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    snip

    Sure, i think you are wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I've told you exactly what the book says about eyes. This whole "not normal eyes" is something you invented.
    Yes, the book does not say normal human eyes
    I mean, we can go through everything you said. First you said she had no demonic features.
    If you actually go back to my first post, you would know what i said, which is basically saying:
    although the 5e corebook says tieflings with human skin colors are a possibility, the eyes aren't, and overall tieflings are well know for their red-color)
    And i think the movie should go with a red tiefling, because its the basic tiefling, the one people know/imagine when someone say "tiefling", the rest people bitching about other stuff and making up other, because they don't like different pov

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Did you notice them jumping into the Gelatinous Cube to dodge the Displacer Beast?
    O yes!
    And the mimic "treasure chest."

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post

    Yes, the book does not say normal human eyes
    Stop talking about what the book doesn't say and start dealing with what the book actually does say.

    their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil.
    It's not that their eyes are "not normal"...it's very specific about what their eyes should be like... and your "official art" doesn't match that description.

    If you actually go back to my first post, you would know what i said, which is basically saying:
    You also made a really big deal about the horns. And were proving wrong about that too.

    And again, what you use as "official art" also doesn't follow the rules regarding the eyes. Which again are, according to the rules, one solid colour. If their Official art doesn't follow their own rules...why should their official movie?

    I mean it straight up says in every edition of D&D that the rules are guidelines and that you shouldn't be beholden to them. They probably told the filmmakers the same thing.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-27 at 08:56 PM.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Sure, i think you are wrong.
    Sure, you and only you. And the rest of us all think you are wrong.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Holy shit y'all are STILL arguing about Tieflings? Give it a bloody rest.
    I predict it will trail off over the next week, then someone will accidentally bump the thread by replying to an old post and it'll go for a while again.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  18. #158
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Stop talking about what the book doesn't say and start dealing with what the book actually does say.
    By books the movie still is not faithful, so you can keep arguing for nothing.

    You also made a really big deal about the horns. And were proving wrong about that too.
    I didn't make a big deal, and i can't be wrong if its in fact truth, as most art from tieflings the horns do come from the forehead.

    And again, what you use as "official art" also doesn't follow the rules regarding the eyes. Which again are, according to the rules, one solid colour. If their Official art doesn't follow their own rules...why should their official movie?
    You mean the official art that does follow their own rules? like this one



    and this one:


    you know, solid colors.

    I mean it straight up says in every edition of D&D that the rules are guidelines and that you shouldn't be beholden to them. They probably told the filmmakers the same thing.
    Sure thing buddy

    but i still think they should have gone with the red tiefling as it is the basic/most well know. I think going to the trouble of doing a tiefling to not make it purple and red, especially in a party full of humans is a bad move.

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Sure, you and only you. And the rest of us all think you are wrong.
    Depends, I guess. I didn't think she was a teifling until they said so, figured a satyr-fey type. I have no problem with her being a teifling though, so basically I think both sides are wrong.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  20. #160
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    16,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Sure, you and only you. And the rest of us all think you are wrong.
    And by your own arguments, you guys can be wrong and im right

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Depends, I guess. I didn't think she was a teifling until they said so, figured a satyr-fey type. I have no problem with her being a teifling though, so basically I think both sides are wrong.
    I have no problem Either, my point is that they should have gone more devilish, especially with a more darker tone. The way i see it? its a satyr as well.

    People who said they immediately though was a tiefling are prob lying

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •