Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This is guaranteed to be the best dnd film made so far. But that's not saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Justice is not a good actor though. Yeesh.
    He feels really Justin Long to me.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    This is guaranteed to be the best dnd film made so far. But that's not saying much.
    Lol. I'm thinking this trailer was the best DnD film ever.

honestly, I think now is the perfect time for a D&D movie. I feel like after COVID everyone has finally admitted to themselves that it's cool to RP. also having the leading man be a Bard is probably the best move they ever made. also Michelle Rodriguez can hulk slam me all she wants. even if this movie ends up being bad I can only hope it's as entertainingly bad as the 00's movie is.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I don't think this will be a "good movie" but the trailer looks like fun.

I have a feeling it is going to be a fun turn your mind off and watch movie.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Hmm apparently it's Neverwinter. I thought that was Waterdeep (which would have made the underground area Undermountain) but then again FR lore has had a lot of Neverwinter in the last decade and a strong Thay presence there. So the underground area might be Gauntlgrym or an underdark city (does not feel like Menzoberranzan or Gracklstugh

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Eh, each setting plays different. Eberron can easily be played noir (or completely pulp). Planescape can easily be played with no combat. Ravenloft is straight up horror. Dark Sun is Mad Max. And ofc it is up to the players and their GM to set the tone.
    That's just player interpretation though. The D&D brand is pulp adventure as marketed and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's just player interpretation though. The D&D brand is pulp adventure as marketed and sold.
    ? I am sorry but as I explained, it varies by setting. The D&D Brand is not one thing. Ravenloft was gothic horror decades ago and 5E expanded it to multiple horror genres adding things like survival horror. Dark Sun was never pulp, the very basis of the setting is desperation. From the start people have been playing Eberron like it's Sin City. The brand is expansive.

?The D&D Brand is not one thing.
    Yes, it is. The brand has other products and lines. However, the brand identity is pulp adventure and it is singular. There is no way anyone markets their brand otherwise. That does not happen ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Surprisingly positive thougths so far... but why do every DnD stuff must be now this slightly cringy humour vibes?
    The Legend of Vox Machina got same shit even if also looks good.
    Personally i'd rather see gloomy and brutal medievalish style instead.

I think it was just a joke...
    Have you ever played dnd? Even the most dark campaigns I have played have still had a good amount of humor.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'll be watching this. Deffo.

Trailer got me sold. Have ma monies.
    /spit@Blizzard

Look so cool!! Y love the druid

Hmm apparently it's Neverwinter. I thought that was Waterdeep (which would have made the underground area Undermountain) but then again FR lore has had a lot of Neverwinter in the last decade and a strong Thay presence there. So the underground area might be Gauntlgrym or an underdark city (does not feel like Menzoberranzan or Gracklstugh
    Judging by the lore video put out by wotc alongside the trailer drop and what I saw in the trailer we are going to see Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Menzoberranzan and Gracklstugh.

Waterdeep and Neverwinter are directly mentioned in the wotc video. A map of Menzo is shown during the underdark bit and lastly the overweight red dragon in the trailer i'm quite sure is Themberchaud which lives in Gracklstugh.

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Looks great.

Does anyone know if owl bear is dnd lore or have they ripped it from the band books? (I'd be really happy with that nod to the band books they're awesome)
    It has been in D&D since the beginning, I think it's one of the monsters based on a bag of cheap plastic toys that they mixed with historical mini's even, but not positive on that one.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Ladyhawk.
    Remember Ladyhawk. It was funny, serious, and yes, even a touch of romance.
    I absolutely adore Ladyhawke.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    what doesn't look better than the new LOTR series?
    Fair point.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It has been in D&D since the beginning, I think it's one of the monsters based on a bag of cheap plastic toys that they mixed with historical mini's even, but not positive on that one.
    That's basically it:

Gygax was always on the look-out for new monsters. Although he was able to draw on pulp fiction and sword and sorcery stories for many of them, he also looked through dime stores for figurines that could be used in battle. On one of those occasions, he came across a bag of small plastic toys euphemistically labeled "prehistoric animals". Made in Hong Kong, the set included monsters from Japanese "Kaiju" films such as Ultraman and the Godzilla franchise. Several of these were odd enough to catch his eye, and he used them to represent several new monsters, including the owlbear, the bulette and the rust monster.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Lol. I'm thinking this trailer was the best DnD film ever.
    After giving it a second watch I hope we didn’t just see every cool part of the movie. Wish they had saved the owlbear for the movie, as that would have been a great surprise scene. I’ve geeked out twice about that now, damn the “rules”!

Druid, Bard, Pally, Berserker. What class is the fifth guy? (The one that explains the owlbear)?

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Have you ever played dnd? Even the most dark campaigns I have played have still had a good amount of humor.
    Yes, as i said in THIS post.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    After giving it a second watch I hope we didn’t just see every cool part of the movie. Wish they had saved the owlbear for the movie, as that would have been a great surprise scene. I’ve geeked out twice about that now, damn the “rules”!

Druid, Bard, Pally, Berserker. What class is the fifth guy? (The one that explains the owlbear)?
    The Owlbear is the Druid.

The fifth class is Sorcerer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Agreed. I think his popularity increased because of Bridgerton and his sex appeal on the show, but his acting was still subpar on there.
    I think you are confusing Justice Smith with Regé-Jean Page.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-22 at 11:02 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Remarkably for a cultural object often relegated to nerd fodder, it will be the basis for a multi-million dollar Hollywood adaptation led by some massive stars: Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page and Hugh Grant. If you'd have told us this could happen five years ago, we wouldn't have rolled the dice, we'll tell ya that much. The neeks are taking over the world.

Pine is a whimsical bard, Edgin, who apparently enjoys a good strum of the lute. Rodriguez portrays a barbarian, Holda, having gained ten pounds of muscle for the role. They're joined in the central band of titular thieves by Justice Smith, portraying a sorcerer, and Lillis, portraying a druid. The creators are clearly going to some length to replicate the lore of the RPG, even if the film strikes a surprising tone.

Page, for his part, portrays a paladin called Xenk, rocking some tremendously cool looking armour. If the Stranger Things connection wasn't more obvious, Page told the Comic Con crowd he “basically grew up as Eddie Munson,” the character portrayed by Joseph Quinn in season four of the sci-fi series, himself a D&D enthusiast. “I know a little something about escapist fantasy that gives you no limits.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenrant
    An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store.
    Most surprising is the tone: this ain't Game of Thrones or The Witcher. The vibe is much more in line with the off-kilter comic sensibilities The Princess Bride, pulsating with action and boasting a quippy script. For his part, Chris Pine reckons it's somewhere between the two. Speaking to Collider back in March, he said:

“The way I've been describing it, it's like Game of Thrones mixed with a little Princess Bride, just a smidge of Holy Grail; it's somewhere in that ballpark. It's a lot of fun. It's got a lot of thrills. It's poppy, it's eighties heartfelt, there's a bit of Goonies in there.”