Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    its not how the general public knows then, its not how tieflings are depicted in the common media, etc.
    I think this is where we're having a disconnect with your issue.

I would assert that the "general public" and "common media" have no clue at all what a Tiefling is nor what they look like. Her appearance is a nitpicky item strictly for the people that are very much into D&D and, even then, as we see here there will be a great divergence of opinion on the topic. This is of such little importance that I feel we've already spilled far too many words discussing it The character looks great and I'm sure audiences will love her.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Where does it say that they have to? All it says is that they have horns...doesn't specify they all have to have to start in the forehead.
    The official art does, unless there is others who don't.

But again, according to the PHB:

See the problem with your "official tiefling art"
    no, as the movie is not faithful to both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I think this is where we're having a disconnect with your issue.

I would assert that the "general public" and "common media" have no clue at all what a Tiefling is nor what they look like. Her appearance is a nitpicky item strictly for the people that are very much into D&D and, even then, as we see here there will be a great divergence of opinion on the topic. This is of such little importance that I feel we've already spilled far too many words discussing it The character looks great and I'm sure audiences will love her.
    Nope, the general public of dungeons and dragons and common media about then depict then with red-ish colors, or with skin from different colors, with inhuman eyes and other devilish features.

For people who don't know d&d, she is just an elf lady with horns cause druids.

Im not saying the character isn't great, im saying the depiction was bad, for each his own.

Tiefling is not the same as a half-fiend. In many cases, they are not the direct offspring of fiend and mortal. In addition, a tiefling doesn't NEED to have a fiend/demon/devil ancestor, they can have other origins and are still called tieflings.

I suggest additional material than 5th edition because 5th summarizes a lot of information.
    Last edited by KainneAbsolute; 2022-07-27 at 12:10 AM.

The "official art" does not encompass all tieflings...seeing as they don't show the other horn types mentioned in the rulebook. Even if you go strictly by RAW...the rules do not state anywhere that the horns must start at the forehead.

Both of your tieflings have eyes that are not one solid color... so even the "official art" doesn't strictly follow the rules.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-27 at 12:27 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Man, I can't believe how many threads just get tossed down a pit because people can't just see an opinion about a preference and have a different opinion. Instead we get literally pages of folks trying to prove or disprove the authenticity of a tiefling characters physical attributes.

I guess there's nothing else to discuss about the movie, so may as well.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

This is how tieflings originally looked like;

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, the general public of dungeons and dragons and common media about then depict then with red-ish colors, or with skin from different colors, with inhuman eyes and other devilish features.

For people who don't know d&d, she is just an elf lady with horns cause druids.

Im not saying the character isn't great, im saying the depiction was bad, for each his own.
    The general dnd community picks and chooses what they want from various editions I don't really care what 5e says Tieflings are when I'm playing 3.5 or pathfinder or 2e. Get the fuck over it she's clearly a Tiefling.

I like how you're depicting "the general community" to be "people who are solely familiar with 5e" as if D&D hasn't been around for like 50 years and 4 previous editions prior to the current one.

I've always pictured tieflings like the first picture in Corvus's post, because, guess what, that's what they looked like in the edition I started playing in. I didn't exclude the idea that they could be red-skinned, but that being the norm never once crossed my mind. Hell, I've played plenty of tieflings and never once had red skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is how tieflings originally looked like;

That's what they look like in the manual I have. I don't even know what they changed about Tieflings since, nor do I really care.

7+ Year Old Account
    The "official art" does not encompass all tieflings..
    They don't, but they show the most common ones, the ones people see and the ones they have the image off.

Both of your tieflings have eyes that are not one solid color... so even the "official art" doesn't strictly follow the rules.
    both the tieflings i show did not have normal human eyes, they also have, the skin color and horns, they are the image of what people think when someone say "tiefling".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The general dnd community picks and chooses what they want from various editions I don't really care what 5e says Tieflings are when I'm playing 3.5 or pathfinder or 2e. Get the fuck over it she's clearly a Tiefling.
    And if i don't get the fuck over it, what the fuck are you going to fucking do?

Those guys, lmao, im going to keep saying its a shit depiction, no matter what you say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I like how you're depicting "the general community" to be "people who are solely familiar with 5e" as if D&D hasn't been around for like 50 years and 4 previous editions prior to the current one.
    >implying the red skin tiefling is something that only came up in 5e
    >implying the popularity of D&D today due to 5e isn't bigger with a wilder community than before

>implying the red skin tiefling is something that only came up in 5e
    >implying the popularity of D&D today due to 5e isn't bigger with a wilder community than before
    The funny thing is, the most recognized depiction is basically driven by mainstream pop culture. If the movie ends up having the most popular version of a Tiefling we see, then that's the one most people will end up recognizing.

Just like how most people will think of Stranger Things when they hear the word 'Demogorgon', and not the classic or 5e depictions of this creature.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-27 at 05:18 AM.

And if i don't get the fuck over it, what the fuck are you going to fucking do?

Those guys, lmao, im going to keep saying its a shit depiction, no matter what you say.
    Well as to what I'll do, I'll be very happy you are nowhere near my table trying to dictate to others what X is and what it has to look like.

Hmf...the movie looks fun. If direction and script proves it out, I'm sure no one will care about the minor details.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    That's what they look like in the manual I have. I don't even know what they changed about Tieflings since, nor do I really care.
    4E changed tieflings from "any humanoid that has a fiend (ANY evil outsider, even divine ones) a couple of steps back in the family tree) to human lineages that made a pact with Asmodeus. 4E lore is by far the largest break with D&D lore that ever existed (well, Die Vecna Die might be worse) and so most people chose to ignore it. In 5E as a compromise the 4E origin was kept as an option. Other official settings have their own versions of tieflings; Eberron tieflings can be the result of pacts but often are the result of evil planar influence affected a fetus.
    Tieflings have been described with such a massive variety of traits from Planescape in AD&D to Races of Faerun in 3E to their own little splatbook in 4E (that gave them insane variety in shape).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...the movie looks fun. If direction and script proves it out, I'm sure no one will care about the minor details.
    The minor details will most likely end up new rules in a UA or even in the appendix of a proper adventure book using hooks from the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The minor details will most likely end up new rules in a UA or even in the appendix of a proper adventure book using hooks from the movie.
    Yep. D&D has been so vastly influenced by the people that play it.

It's worth remembering that the world this movie takes place on, Toril (aka The Forgotten Realms), was nothing more than someone's childhood stories that they then turned into their homebrewed campaign that they then sold to TSR and it was made into an "official" setting.

The whole point of D&D is YOUR imagination, the source material is only there to help you along.

So if Syegfryed wants to believe she's not a tiefling because it doesn't match his personal idea of what a tiefling should look like, that's fine. He can miss out on all the fun the rest of us will be having because we recognize that D&D is whatever the hell the writer/DM wants it to be.

They don't, but they show the most common ones, the ones people see and the ones they have the image off.
    So, what you're saying now is that the most common Tieflings...do not have a solid eye colour.

both the tieflings i show did not have normal human eyes, they also have, the skin color and horns, they are the image of what people think when someone say "tiefling".
    Again, the description is "A solid eye colour"... The "official art" tieflings do not have a solid eye colour. "Not normal eyes" is not a thing. You are creating your own parameters for what makes a Tiefling.

Again, From the 5E players Handbook:

and their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-27 at 06:32 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Yep. D&D has been so vastly influenced by the people that play it.

It's worth remembering that the world this movie takes place on, Toril (aka The Forgotten Realms), was nothing more than someone's childhood stories that they then turned into their homebrewed campaign that they then sold to TSR and it was made into an "official" setting.

The whole point of D&D is YOUR imagination, the source material is only there to help you along.

So if Syegfryed wants to believe she's not a tiefling because it doesn't match his personal idea of what a tiefling should look like, that's fine. He can miss out on all the fun the rest of us will be having because we recognize that D&D is whatever the hell the writer/DM wants it to be.
    If we want to be more specific about FR; https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tiefling

In preparation for 4E destructive approach to lore, most tieflings (from the VERY broad number of bloodlines established in Races of Faerun) were converted to the bloodline of Asmodeus which does have a fairly uniform appearance. With 5E that is slowly being reversed.

And if you want to appeal to the most popular examples for newer players, Critical Role gave us Jester (blue skin, human type eyes, and horns that don't start at the brow).

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    And if you want to appeal to the most popular examples for newer players, Critical Role gave us Jester (blue skin, human type eyes, and horns that don't start at the brow).
    And if we go to gamers then you have Haer-Dalis from Baldur's Gate who very much could pass as a half elf and Annah from Torment who if not for the tail could just be Irish. The new BG game does have a lot of tieflngs but those are all Asmodean ones.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The funny thing is, the most recognized depiction is basically driven by mainstream pop culture. If the movie ends up having the most popular version of a Tiefling we see, then that's the one most people will end up recognizing.

Just like how most people will think of Stranger Things when they hear the word 'Demogorgon', and not the classic or 5e depictions of this creature.
    For sure after the movie people will start doing human skinned tiefling, that however does not change the fact that was not something popular or wide used

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well as to what I'll do, I'll be very happy you are nowhere near my table trying to dictate to others what X is and what it has to look like.
    Thank god i don't want to play in your table, as i have mines.

Don't get me wrong, i bet it would be funny to be a 8ft tall halfling in yours, its just not my gig

- - - Updated - - -

So, what you're saying now is that the most common Tieflings...do not have a solid eye colour.
    i don't care about "solid eye color" or not, what i care is "not human eyes"

you are weirdly nittpicking at this, for what purpose i still don't know, since i will still say its a bad depiction and it would be better a more well know one.