Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Okay...the game-rules lawyer? Congratulations, no one wants to play with you.
    The convention's exit door is that way.

this looks like it will suck but im gonna watch it

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok, this actually looks decent. CGI is solid, Chris Pine likeable like always. The fact they used a black drogon burping acid (instead of a standard red) seems to indicate they know, and care, about source material. Main worries for me are possibility of generic/obnoxious jokes and the fact they may have to really rush with exposition, considering the amount of stuff we saw in the trailer.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-27 at 06:07 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Black dragon breathing acid…displacer beast…owlbear, red Thayan wizard, there was so much being shown, I hope there's more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Black dragon breathing acid…displacer beast…owlbear, red Thayan wizard, there was so much being shown, I hope there's more.
    Did you notice them jumping into the Gelatinous Cube to dodge the Displacer Beast?

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks cool. Reminded me to check out the old SSI Gold Box games on Steam. They're on sale.

Not ever sure if branding a movie with DnD actually helps. Glad it's having a resurgence through podcasting, but it still feels niche. How will casual audiences respond? Watching Stranger Things with my kids. They didnt believe the Satanic Panic or insane bullying were real things 80's.
    Government Affiliated Snark

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    snip

Sure, i think you are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I've told you exactly what the book says about eyes. This whole "not normal eyes" is something you invented.
    Yes, the book does not say normal human eyes
    I mean, we can go through everything you said. First you said she had no demonic features.
    If you actually go back to my first post, you would know what i said, which is basically saying:
    although the 5e corebook says tieflings with human skin colors are a possibility, the eyes aren't, and overall tieflings are well know for their red-color)
    And i think the movie should go with a red tiefling, because its the basic tiefling, the one people know/imagine when someone say "tiefling", the rest people bitching about other stuff and making up other, because they don't like different pov

Did you notice them jumping into the Gelatinous Cube to dodge the Displacer Beast?
    O yes!
    And the mimic "treasure chest."

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post

Yes, the book does not say normal human eyes
    Stop talking about what the book doesn't say and start dealing with what the book actually does say.

their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil.
    It's not that their eyes are "not normal"...it's very specific about what their eyes should be like... and your "official art" doesn't match that description.

If you actually go back to my first post, you would know what i said, which is basically saying:
    You also made a really big deal about the horns. And were proving wrong about that too.

And again, what you use as "official art" also doesn't follow the rules regarding the eyes. Which again are, according to the rules, one solid colour. If their Official art doesn't follow their own rules...why should their official movie?

I mean it straight up says in every edition of D&D that the rules are guidelines and that you shouldn't be beholden to them. They probably told the filmmakers the same thing.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-07-27 at 08:56 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Sure, i think you are wrong.
    Sure, you and only you. And the rest of us all think you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Holy shit y'all are STILL arguing about Tieflings? Give it a bloody rest.
    I predict it will trail off over the next week, then someone will accidentally bump the thread by replying to an old post and it'll go for a while again.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

7+ Year Old Account
    Stop talking about what the book doesn't say and start dealing with what the book actually does say.
    By books the movie still is not faithful, so you can keep arguing for nothing.

You also made a really big deal about the horns. And were proving wrong about that too.
    I didn't make a big deal, and i can't be wrong if its in fact truth, as most art from tieflings the horns do come from the forehead.

And again, what you use as "official art" also doesn't follow the rules regarding the eyes. Which again are, according to the rules, one solid colour. If their Official art doesn't follow their own rules...why should their official movie?
    You mean the official art that does follow their own rules? like this one

and this one:

you know, solid colors.

I mean it straight up says in every edition of D&D that the rules are guidelines and that you shouldn't be beholden to them. They probably told the filmmakers the same thing.
    Sure thing buddy

but i still think they should have gone with the red tiefling as it is the basic/most well know. I think going to the trouble of doing a tiefling to not make it purple and red, especially in a party full of humans is a bad move.

Depends, I guess. I didn't think she was a teifling until they said so, figured a satyr-fey type. I have no problem with her being a teifling though, so basically I think both sides are wrong.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

7+ Year Old Account
    And by your own arguments, you guys can be wrong and im right

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Depends, I guess. I didn't think she was a teifling until they said so, figured a satyr-fey type. I have no problem with her being a teifling though, so basically I think both sides are wrong.
    I have no problem Either, my point is that they should have gone more devilish, especially with a more darker tone. The way i see it? its a satyr as well.

People who said they immediately though was a tiefling are prob lying

By books the movie still is not faithful, so you can keep arguing for nothing.
    Again, by the books...your official art isn't faithful...and yet you are using that as the standard to which all tieflings in media should be portrayed.

I didn't make a big deal, and i can't be wrong if its in fact truth, as most art from tieflings the horns do come from the forehead.
    You made several posts about the horns not being according to the rules and, even when the rules were shown to you, continued to argue against it.

You mean the official art that does follow their own rules? like this one

and this one:

you know, solid colors.
    But not like the official art you posted earlier that does not. All you've done is prove that WotC is more flexible with their rules than you are.

Sure thing buddy

but i still think they should have gone with the red tiefling as it is the basic/most well know. I think going to the trouble of doing a tiefling to not make it purple and red, especially in a party full of humans is a bad move.
    It's fine to say "I would prefer they had gone with a red tiefling".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    eta: This idea that D&D is just silly fun, or "camp", seems to have sprung forth mostly from Critical Role. The entire history of playing D&D that I'm familiar with has always treated the material with seriousness. Even humorous parodies of D&D like Knights of the Dinner Table still treated the game and the setting with seriousness, while allowing for fun table-talk.
    Pretty much, yeah.

This happens a lot, too. Something new and popular breaks into an existing genre/idea/game/etc and is so widely known that it becomes the entirety of what that thing is to people. Then people who weren't familiar with the work before the new thing exposed them to it will speak as if the work was always the way it is in that new/popular thing.

(Compare the viewpoints of someone who played MMOs before WoW to someone who has only played WoW)

I played plenty of campaigns that weren't "camp" back in the day. In fact, none of them were "camp" as far as I recall. People were having fun, but that didn't mean the setting/tone/etc wasn't serious. Maybe that's still a bit TOO "nerdy" for people today, though.

To some extent it almost feels like some of the stuff you see nowadays are people playing ironically. That's not me gatekeeping or taking anything away - everyone should absolutely play in the way that's most fun for them - but if people have the impression that "D&D was always like that to everyone" they're definitely mistaken.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, by the books...your official art isn't faithful...and yet you are using that as the standard to which all tieflings in media should be portrayed.

You made several posts about the horns not being according to the rules and, even when the rules were shown to you, continued to argue against it.

But not like the official art you posted earlier that does not. All you've done is prove that WotC is more flexible with their rules than you are.
    Funny think is how you are putting words on my mouth, i never said shit about rules, neither say they should follow the "rules in the book"

So this show how much dishonesty you can bring to a discussion, that you rly don't want to discuss just argue for the sake of arguing.

It's fine to say "I would prefer they had gone with a red tiefling".
    thats literally what i've being doing so far, i just provide the reasons why i would preffer that

But apparently, im not allowed to.

Funny think is how you are putting words on my mouth, i never said shit about rules, neither say they should follow the "rules in the book"

So this show how much dishonesty you can bring to a discussion, that you rly don't want to discuss just argue for the sake of arguing.
    You have been bringing the rules into it the entire time. You've just been wrong about the rules. You keep on saying what Tieflings are supposed to look like...and you keep on getting proven wrong...so you then attempt to move the goal posts to something else.

And by your own arguments, you guys can be wrong and im right
    Yet yours is not the popular opinion here. All a part of my point.

If it were really as popular as you'd say, then there wouldn't be so many people arguing against your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

thats literally what i've being doing so far, i just provide the reasons why i would preffer that

But apparently, im not allowed to.
    You cross a line when you infer that everyone else must be wrong about the 'most popular' version of the race. It has nothing to do with what you prefer, everything to do with how you're explaining your why.

If all you said is you preferred to have a Red Tiefling because that's how 5e portrays them, then that's fine. That you inferred that 5e is the most popular version and everyone else is wrong, with nothing to actually back that up, is just a bunch of fluff and nonsense. It's these kind of ridiculous comments that will get people all up in your business. I can't imagine you've been here this long and don't understand how your words stir up the hornet's nest. 7 years, my dude.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-07-27 at 10:31 PM.

They don't, but they show the most common ones, the ones people see and the ones they have the image off.

both the tieflings i show did not have normal human eyes, they also have, the skin color and horns, they are the image of what people think when someone say "tiefling".

- - - Updated - - -

And if i don't get the fuck over it, what the fuck are you going to fucking do?

Those guys, lmao, im going to keep saying its a shit depiction, no matter what you say.

- - - Updated - - -

>implying the red skin tiefling is something that only came up in 5e
    >implying the popularity of D&D today due to 5e isn't bigger with a wilder community than before

I will continue to laugh at your absurdity because the depiction used for tiefling is pretty much bang on point with content that predates 5e. It was pretty obvious to anyone who played prior to 5e that the character was a tiefling.