Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I just wanna chat about a movie, man.
    Ignoring all the sanctimonious derailing by complaining about derails from the other guy...

There isn't going to be a steady trickle of information about the movie so it's natural that the thread will wander a bit. Hopefully we can break this cycle of complaining and then complaining about complaining because it is tiresome.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Hopefully we can break this cycle of complaining and then complaining about complaining because it is tiresome.
    But are we complaining using 3e rules, 4e rules, or 5e rules?

I NEED TO KNOW.

Must be 5e, since that's "all about combat", amirite.

Oh, I agree, on all points. It's why you get things like Marvel threads going into various random things between movies/series.

Literally all I was asking here was if there was anything about the actual movie because there was zero mention of it in all the posts I saw. I don't care about a tiefling's eyes not being "right," I just wanted movie info lol
    And yet here you are, still bickering about how the thread is allegedly not talking about the movie, rather than actually talking about the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Ignoring all the sanctimonious derailing by complaining about derails from the other guy...
    You mean like this post where I included myself?

It's truly astounding how hypocritical people are here.

Loads of people are discussing the movie, notably the game that it's based on, and you're the ones being sanctimonious snobs; not just that, but hypocritical ones doing nothing, absolutely nothing, but bitching about the thread rather than discussing the topic. And when that hypocrisy is pointed out, you just double down on it and continue to think you're somehow superior to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post

Loads of people are discussing the movie, notably the game that it's based on, and you're the ones being sanctimonious snobs; not just that, but hypocritical ones doing nothing, absolutely nothing, but bitching about the thread rather than discussing the topic. And when that hypocrisy is pointed out, you just double down on it and continue to think you're somehow superior to everyone else.
    Talking about the game the movie is based on is not the same thing as talking about the movie.

I'm fine with discussing the game itself...but ideally that would be done in a different thread.

@eschatological could we maybe get some guidance on this issue before it completely derails the thread.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-08-03 at 10:37 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    I doubt you have been playing as long as tieflings have been in the game.
    I would not make a bet on that idea if I were you. I'd keep your money safe. I've been playing way longer than 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I would not make a bet on that idea if I were you. I'd keep your money safe. I've been playing way longer than 2001.
    Uh...Tieflings were around before 2001 too, friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiefli...dbook%20(1996).
    The tiefling was introduced in the Planescape Campaign Setting (1994)
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Uh...Tieflings were around before 2001 too, friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiefli...dbook%20(1996).
    Not as a playable race. They came out in the Planescape Campaign Setting (1994). Then in 2001 in the Forgotten Realms book as a playable race.

I see no reason why D&D, the game, cannot be discussed in this thread. I feel it's even particularly relevant, given that from what we've seen the movie is massively informed by the game itself, which is a good thing because the first movies had not much to do with D&D other than showing a beholder. I, personally, enjoy discussion about the Realms especially because I've been out of tabletop RP'ing for so long that I never had enough opportunity to immerse myself in the setting. So, it's enjoyable to learn more about the world that's going to be depicted in the film.

Which makes me wonder ... any chance we'll see Elminster or any of the other more notable figures from Toril? Or maybe any mention of them? Given that we have a barbarian in the party it would be wonderful if she maybe mentioned her grandfather, Wulfgar

@eschatological could we maybe get some guidance on this issue before it completely derails the thread.
    Obviously the game is relevant to the movie. The conversation about what tieflings should look like, while dumb as heck, made discussing various editions of D&D somewhat topical, but if it doesn't directly relate to the movie itself y'all should count to 10 and ask yourself if the thread really needs this post.

I'm not gonna infract over it, tbh, because the movie is an adaptation of the game. Also, a thread solely about the game would probably belong in the Video Game subforum? Or the other game subforums?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Not as a playable race. They came out in the Planescape Campaign Setting (1994). Then in 2001 in the Forgotten Realms book as a playable race.
    But the statement wasn't about them as a playable race...just "as long as tieflings have been in the game."

They've been in the game since 94.

Are any of these pages about the actual movie the thread was created for or...?
    It turned into an argument about a human with dragon ancestry that became a druid.

...wat?

Are any of these pages about the actual movie the thread was created for or...?
    Some gets squeezed in by accident here and there. All we really have is a trailer, so discussion centered on the movie will just be guessing anyway.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

But the statement wasn't about them as a playable race...just "as long as tieflings have been in the game."

They've been in the game since 94.
    Nevermind that they were playable since day one. They weren't a standard, core race, but they were absolutely an option in the Planescape campaign or any other campaign if a DM allowed it.

I have no idea where he got the notion they weren't playable until 3e.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    The thing with that is there are already other races for descendants of non-humans breeding with fiends. Elves have Fey'ri, Orcs have Tanarukks, Halflings have Wisplings, Dwarves have Maeluth and Duergar have Durzagons (not really sure why Dwarves and Duergar have separate ones, but 3E gotta 3E I guess). And technically Drow have Draegloth, but these are much more monstrous and their creation is somewhat ritualistic, so they feel a bit different to me. Personally I wouldn't mind at least Fey'ri and Tanarukks (and while we're at it, more Orc races in general) being playable. Most Fey'ri even have the bonus of having innate shapeshifting capabilities which allows them to blend into general society better.
    And Cambions are humans+fiends too, but i meant something that is minimal, not something so over the top, most, if not all examples you gave are too much on the monster side(like cambions) and not too much on the mortal side (tiefling), a tanarukk and feyri,are too much monster to be playable.

Taking account how aasimar and genasi work, i think its only logic to make tieflings as another example of planetouched(any mortal race could ahve some sort of devilish/fiend heritage) and not just human+fiends

On that not, i don't think its canon that tieflings can be from demons or yugoloths, just devils and generic fiends, i do know canon means nothing and we can make what we want, but i would like some official tools for it, sadly the abyssal tiefling sub was axed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post

Which makes me wonder ... any chance we'll see Elminster or any of the other more notable figures from Toril? Or maybe any mention of them? Given that we have a barbarian in the party it would be wonderful if she maybe mentioned her grandfather, Wulfgar
    i will probably lose it, but my money is on mordenkainen, that bald wizard is a big face of wotc lately. Maybe even some meentions of Vecna due to the stranger things show.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i will probably lose it, but my money is on mordenkainen, that bald wizard is a big face of wotc lately. Maybe even some meentions of Vecna due to the stranger things show.
    Both of those characters are from the Greyhawk setting, though as a god there's always a possibility that Vecna has a follower or two who's travelled to the Realms. But if we see anything of the latter, it'll almost assuredly only be one of his artifacts... doubtful as that is since, again, he's a Greyhawk character not a Forgotten Realms one.

That said, we might have seen Szass Tam in the trailer. But that was the only potential "big name" that I spotted in it. I have no doubt they'll at least be dropping some other names, though less likely are actual appearances. Villain wise they'll probably only be some named Red Wizards or maybe a Zhent or two. But the movie seems to be focusing on smaller-scale stuff for now for the most part, so again, it's doubtful.

I'm not sure what that pointing out those articles is supposed to infer.

Those meetings took place between wizards from different worlds and took place on modern-day Earth (the very first article had them eating popcorn and drinking Coke in a pub with a Time magazine on the table next to them). It was just a series of fun fluff articles for Dragon magazine where Greenwood added some new spells, items, monsters, and the like for DMs interested in adding some new stuff to their games.

7+ Year Old Account
    Both of those characters are from the Greyhawk setting, though as a god there's always a possibility that Vecna has a follower or two who's travelled to the Realms. But if we see anything of the latter, it'll almost assuredly only be one of his artifacts... doubtful as that is since, again, he's a Greyhawk character not a Forgotten Realms one.

That said, we might have seen Szass Tam in the trailer. But that was the only potential "big name" that I spotted in it. I have no doubt they'll at least be dropping some other names, though less likely are actual appearances. Villain wise they'll probably only be some named Red Wizards or maybe a Zhent or two. But the movie seems to be focusing on smaller-scale stuff for now for the most part, so again, it's doubtful.
    Well yeah, but both are big hits that can basically "travel" between material planes, even if they are greyhawk they can show up in Faerun just fine.

But yeah, maybe they will start small.

I think they will want to at the very least plant hooks for a sequel so they might introduce a "next big bad" just for the sake of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nevermind that they were playable since day one. They weren't a standard, core race, but they were absolutely an option in the Planescape campaign or any other campaign if a DM allowed it.

I have no idea where he got the notion they weren't playable until 3e.
    Indeed, you just take a level adjustment to play a Monster Race as a playable character.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.