Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Buy the most expensive professional office chair you can afford from a company specifically making 24-hour task &/or professional chairs. It will last forever and your body will be better off for it.

Premium mattresses, shoes, make-up, and functional furniture are worth the investment.
    "24-hour task &/or professional chairs" is the super important part, the exact phrase to google might be "24 hour task chair". These chairs are designed for people whose jobs require them to sit in one place for long periods of time. Pump as much $$$ into one of these chairs as you can, you'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by pahbi; 2022-07-23 at 08:43 PM.

On the cheaper end, nothing I've tried is better than Ikea Markus. Not expensive, great support, fairly sturdy, isn't made of cheap "leather" that peels off after 2-3 years. They're not lookers but that's all "gaming" chairs have going for them, the "1337 pro gaemer much RGB such wow" look that I find extremely tacky anyway. They're basically all made at the same place in China, and anyone can order a bunch of those shitty things, have a label slapped on it and sell them at a massive markup. Avoid like the plague.

As others have said, an expensive office chair is the best but the initial investment is quite steep. I haven't got one myself even if I likely should. I've only heard good things about Herman Miller as well, save for the prices of course but you get what you pay for.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I bought a used high end herman miller aeron chair 10 years ago, the only thing I have had to do with it is replace the gas piston which I was able to easily order and replace. Even used they are expensive I believe I paid either $300 or $350 but had all the extra ergonomic options and adjustments (special back support and head support). I think they are running closer to $400 now, but they will basically last forever and work the same as they day they were brand new.

I have a noble chair and couldn’t be happier with it. Great for me, I am 6 ft 4 and about 18 stone with my height mostly in my torso more so than legs.

if you're a bigger person, this chair is incredible... and i specify that because for example i'm 6'4, 230lbs, and it's been incredibly comfortable for 10 years now and is holding up very well.
    the padding has flattened out, but i sit in 10+ hours a day so that's to be expected - i get a new ass pillow off amazon once a year or so and it's just fantastic.
    if you're NOT a bigger person, if you're under 6 feet, this chair is going to be too big. everyone i know hates my chair because they can't properly sit in it, they're like a 7 year old trying to sit in grandpa's recliner.

https://www.amazon.com/Serta-Layers-...%2C118&sr=8-45

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Personal opinion: Gamer chairs are just marketing, you'd be better buying an ergonomic office chair.

I was recommended the IKEA Markus and IKEA Jarvfjallet for my price range, but seeing the price of that Secretlab chair you could possibly get something better.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I recommend not getting anything with leather on it tbh. ALL the chairs I've had that had "leather" on them have horrible quality and start peeling after a while, and also suck to sit on in hot weather ;P

I have a dream of getting a Herman Miller Embody, but the bugger costs €1600 here, and even if/when I can afford it, I'd feel bad for spending so much on a chair lol.
    Same experience so I'll just double you.

I thew out a DXRacing some white chair that's name I don't remember anymore. It lasted 2 years... The first summer I think it already started fraying the leather off... terrible design to be fair.

I didn't have an ACd room because I live in a country where we get hot weather for like 2 weeks a year, but apparently that was enough against bare skin as it sticks to it and when you move, which I did, a lot, it just kind of tore on it.

TLR

Buy proper ergonomics from office chair comapnies. All of that gaming crap is there to basically leech easy money from $uckers, of which I was one.

Right now, sitting on one cheap IKEA chair, for the 3rd year right now. Flintan I think. And this isn't even a good chair but it's better than the DXracer.

The next one I buy I'm going to put some proper research into it and get something that lasts. Will be expecting to spend in the 4 digits probably.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    Same experience so I'll just double you.

I thew out a DXRacing some white chair that's name I don't remember anymore. It lasted 2 years... The first summer I think it already started fraying the leather off... terrible design to be fair.

I didn't have an ACd room because I live in a country where we get hot weather for like 2 weeks a year, but apparently that was enough against bare skin as it sticks to it and when you move, which I did, a lot, it just kind of tore on it.

TLR

Buy proper ergonomics from office chair comapnies. All of that gaming crap is there to basically leech easy money from $uckers, of which I was one.

Right now, sitting on one cheap IKEA chair, for the 3rd year right now. Flintan I think. And this isn't even a good chair but it's better than the DXracer.

The next one I buy I'm going to put some proper research into it and get something that lasts. Will be expecting to spend in the 4 digits probably.
    If you're really going to spend in the region of 4 digits, you'd probably be looking at Herman Miller. I've been told the Embody is an excellent chair of theirs, but have no personal experience with it myself. I'm considering getting one myself once I can afford it (€1622 here in Belgium). I do plan to see if I can at least go and try it first though obviously.

I often think we don't put enough thought in to how bad constantly sitting down is, and why (if you game a lot, or have a desk job, or both) getting a proper chair is so bloomin' important. I know I haven't put enough thought into it in the past. And yeah obviously getting up and moving around every odd 2 hours is important too.

Almost 10 years ago i bought non-name 'gaming' chair from outlet for 1/4 price of the branded ones.
    One of the best purchases in my life.
    Do not pay for bullshit marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    If you're really going to spend in the region of 4 digits, you'd probably be looking at Herman Miller. I've been told the Embody is an excellent chair of theirs, but have no personal experience with it myself. I'm considering getting one myself once I can afford it (€1622 here in Belgium). I do plan to see if I can at least go and try it first though obviously.

I often think we don't put enough thought in to how bad constantly sitting down is, and why (if you game a lot, or have a desk job, or both) getting a proper chair is so bloomin' important. I know I haven't put enough thought into it in the past. And yeah obviously getting up and moving around every odd 2 hours is important too.
    Look for a Herman Miller (or also Steelcase) certified used dealer. They recertify the chairs and they are basically good as new. I can grab a used Embody here for about 900 vs the nearly 2k new.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy an Armoury chair, biggest mistake I've made as it's not very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    "24-hour task &/or professional chairs" is the super important part, the exact phrase to google might be "24 hour task chair". These chairs are designed for people whose jobs require them to sit in one place for long periods of time. Pump as much $$$ into one of these chairs as you can, you'll be glad you did.
    And really some people may literally spend a third of their lives on a chair (and another third/quarter on a mattress). That alone should show how worthwhile an investment it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    I currently have a DX Racer Formula F08-N but after 5 years the leather has started to peel, I’m looking to buy a new chair but am stuck in which to buy. I have been looking at Secretlab Titan Evo 2022 but have read it is uncomfortably firm, is this the case? And can anyone recommend any alternatives at or under the same price point?
    How tall are you? Secret Lab chairs are not for shorter people. They don't go low enough and you'll need to find a proper footrest. I'm 1,70 and while the chair itself is uncomfortable, dangling feet are dangerous for your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And really some people may literally spend a third of their lives on a chair (and another third/quarter on a mattress). That alone should show how worthwhile an investment it is.

- - - Updated - - -

How tall are you? Secret Lab chairs are not for shorter people. They don't go low enough and you'll need to find a proper footrest. I'm 1,70 and while the chair itself is uncomfortable, dangling feet are dangerous for your back.
    I’m 165cm which apparently would be ok with the small Titan 2022. Ive heard so many people say they’re uncomfortably firm and the returns process is a nightmare, it puts me off.
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

I’m 165cm which apparently would be ok with the small Titan 2022. Ive heard so many people say they’re uncomfortably firm and the returns process is a nightmare, it puts me off.
    Think it also really depends on the chair size and the person sitting in it. I received my Titan2020 2 weeks ago and it's actually quite comfortable (way better than the knock off 150 euro "gaming" chair that it replaced). The seating has a nice spongy feeling (I'm 185cm and 88kg). My gf at 165 and <60kg has an entirely different experience since she doesn't have enough weight to actually sink in the foam and for her it's definitely firmer. The backrest is definitely a lot firmer but that's a good thing.
    The ikea chairs might feel somewhat more comfortable initially but there's no way the seating will last more than a few months before you start feeling the metal underneath.

Unless you live in the country/area from where the chair is shipped, there's no returning it unless you just want to literally throw away a lot of money. Did an estimate and shipping it back would cost me a little over 300 euros while the chair costed 444.

Now the chair itself is definitely very high quality with a lot of features, but it's a matter of time to tell if it was worth the money.
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-08-03 at 09:56 AM.

My go to is always a basic office chair with a floor model I can sit my ass in before purchasing. Usually 2x cheaper than a "OMGAMINGCHAIR" and usually more comfortable

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but since it does deal with a piece of equipment that we all use everyday and is an actually important one that folks tend to take for granted, I'm putting this here.

The right armrest of my office chair completely broke off last night and the left one is hanging loose as well. So I need a new seat, nothing fancy just something that is durable and comfortable to sit in chair feature. I brought my current chair for $100 at Big Lots almost four years ago, so I guess $25 a year isn't too bad but....

Of course I can still use what I have, however I'm feeling uncomfortable without having armrests. So what chairs do you guys prefer? Or will any office chair do?
    Last edited by hoshanaeckhart; 2022-08-06 at 05:05 PM.

"Any office chair" could land you with a chair just as bad as any gamery chair.

You still need to research the chair and make sure its not awful.

Depending on your budget, i recommend the Ikea Markus or Jarvfjallet.

I've had my Markus for... over 5 years. Maybe 7 or 8? I honestly dont remember. Its still in perfect shape other than im overweight and crushed the life out of the seat padding - easily remedied by getting a Purple seat cushion (which id recommend to everyone reading this anyway, no matter how good your current chair is. That shit is magic.)

Its not "the best most ergonomic chair ever" like a Herman Miller or Steelcase, but for the money its very hard to beat.

It or the Jarvfjallet (if you're taller) are the most id spend unless youre going to get into "real" chairs like an HM or Steelcase.

OP, consider a standing desk instead. Its gonna be better for your health. Getting up and standing is better than sitting in any chair.

That said; Dont buy leather, buy cloth/mesh. And Id consider gaming chairs, unless you wanna do more research/look into office chairs thats finder to know about, but youtube is your friend...Say gamernexus video was good etc, ltt etc etc
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    OP, consider a standing desk instead. Its gonna be better for your health. Getting up and standing is better than sitting in any chair.
    This is not true, and there is a reason that most orthopedists and ergonomics experts recommend a sit/stand desk.

If you were to stand on your feet for an entire 8+ hour work day, every work day, you'd have bursitis within two years. And probably ankle damage and spine damage. Keep in mind im talking about simply standing. If you do a job where you're on your feet all day but moving around, that isnt remotely the same. But standing relatively still in one place is not any better for you than simply sitting. Varying between the two is great for you, though.

That said; Dont buy leather
    While i agree, simply because leather does not breathe, there is a BIG difference between most "leather" office and gaming chairs in the sub-500$ market (which actually uses a product called "Genuine Leather", which is literally all the scraps and shavings from other leatherwork that is then pressed into a form and inundated with glue. Its the leather equivalent of particle board. Thats the shit that peels and comes apart.) If you dont mind it not breathing a real, apholstry-grade leather seat is quite fine. And itll likely outlive you, if you clean it and oil it occasionally. Still.. IMO, too sticky and hot.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-08-06 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks for all the replies, I’m still looking for the right chair in the same kind of price range as the Secretlab Titan 2022, I just can’t find one that is good quality, comfortable and that I can lean right back in like I’d be able to in a gaming chair …
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

Thanks for all the replies, I’m still looking for the right chair in the same kind of price range as the Secretlab Titan 2022, I just can’t find one that is good quality, comfortable and that I can lean right back in like I’d be able to in a gaming chair …
    I have no idea why you think “leaning back” is a feature unique to gaming chairs.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked up the price on that POS. 700$?

Buy yourself an Aeron from Herman Miller.

https://seatingmind.com/herman-mille...saAvkREALw_wcB

650 right now. And then buy the headrest for the additional height if you need. It will take that garbo racing chair out and make it bite the curb.

- - - Updated - - -

Or save hundreds and get the Jvarfallet from Ikea. Still more comfortable than that Genuine Leather faux racing chair and way cheaper. And yes, it leans back.