Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    The Insane Feali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cornelia Street
    Posts
    15,473
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    I will NEVER forget how metzen stepped on stage at blizzcon and had to call out "Guys this is not a joke" after they announced crapdaria, cause no one could believe how much they'd sold the franchise out just to appeal to chinese players.
    You went through all that trouble just to trash the only good piece of lore that has come out since the ending of Wrath.
    Warcraft story was never particularly good. It's good because of the world it built.

    MoPs story is honestly very good, you just get triggered by Pandas in your WAR world.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    I still maintain that Suramar and it's related quests about the Legion, insurrection, and the rejuvenation of the Nightborne, as well as Elisande, and the attached audio dramas with Gul'dan and the comics was altogether some of the strongest storytelling out of the franchise.

    Also, I know there are some valid quips about the Garrosh storyline in MoP but that was overall incredible. And when the music lined up right in that final raid fight with him? Pure epic.
    The audio dramas imo were great. The Gul'dan and Khadgar one was good, as was 1000 years of war. Which actually made the Void far more intriguing than anything I can remember them doing with it in game. Which usually just amounds to making people crazy murderers.

    Legion was very uneven for me. I loved Velen's story. Loved the Nighborn story. Loved Runas the Shamed. Didn't care much however for Illidan's story in Legion or the LIghtforged in general.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I agree with almost anything you say, but honestly, MoP Lore was good. I get it, some people don't like Pandaren and didn't enjoy the eastern asthetics. Fair enough, but if you can ignore the fact they are literal Pandas, the whole MoP Lore was a fucking masterpiece, especially when compared to BfA or SL.
    why can't you people just STOP idolising an expansion that was so hated it lost over 25% of the playerbase before they stopped reporting the numbers?

    it was literally losing players after its first month all the way to the end

    what MASTERPIECE? It started with "fighting muh emotiunz" to "ook you in da dooker" rapist monkeys and a true to their name dumb species of pandas who were too incompetent to do any of the things they themselves criticized us of

    masterpiece? what the hell are you SMOKING man?
    The klaxi had some nice side lore with the dudes you woke up from sleep and their ties to qiraji, that was fucking it, just stop already.
    For the love of god stop telling me the thunder king story was something interesting it was literally just copy paste of chinese history and transposed into wow.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaLimaCharlie View Post
    I bet you had your MAGA hat on while writing this up. Hating the direction the lore is going is fine (It's been pretty crap for awhile now) but getting that upset about them writing in gay characters is laughable. "Cause no one could believe how much they'd sold the franchise out just to appeal to chinese players"...lmao...I'll eat my shorts if this dude isn't a Trump supporter.
    bro there's an entire subreddit for politics go farm your thumbs up over there

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Funny how you hold the old lore in so high regard but stay blind to MoP because you seemingly never went over the "lol kung fu panda" meme.

    MoP is one example of how worldbuilding can be done right and new lore can fit right in when you do the proper research (both on the established lore and on the reference material). Aside from a few problems like fucking Varian and the over the top evilness of Garrosh in the end, it also properly involved our factions, focusing on the new continent but still showing some evolution in the rest of the world.
    where did i even mention kung fu panda?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    You went through all that trouble just to trash the only good piece of lore that has come out since the ending of Wrath.
    Warcraft story was never particularly good. It's good because of the world it built.

    MoPs story is honestly very good, you just get triggered by Pandas in your WAR world.
    where did i even mention pandas?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    where did i even mention kung fu panda?
    That's usually what it boils down to when someone goes on a rant against MoP.

  5. #25
    Scarab Lord Maljinwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post

    I will NEVER forget how metzen stepped on stage at blizzcon and had to call out "Guys this is not a joke" after they announced crapdaria, cause no one could believe how much they'd sold the franchise out just to appeal to chinese players.

    Except Pandaren and Pandaria were featured and mentioned in Frozen Throne so..
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    The audio dramas imo were great. The Gul'dan and Khadgar one was good, as was 1000 years of war. Which actually made the Void far more intriguing than anything I can remember them doing with it in game. Which usually just amounds to making people crazy murderers.

    Legion was very uneven for me. I loved Velen's story. Loved the Nighborn story. Loved Runas the Shamed. Didn't care much however for Illidan's story in Legion or the LIghtforged in general.
    Legion dropped the ball at the very end and i didn't understand why. It was strong from start all the way up to then.
    I liked Illidan, but the lightforged and fucking ALLERIA and DANNATH's return were boring as fuck.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    That's usually what it boils down to when someone goes on a rant against MoP.
    ok so go assume somehwere else, if you have an actual question, ask it.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    I still maintain that Suramar and it's related quests about the Legion, insurrection, and the rejuvenation of the Nightborne, as well as Elisande, and the attached audio dramas with Gul'dan and the comics was altogether some of the strongest storytelling out of the franchise.
    Yeah, I think many of the expansions had some cool lore/characters and ideas. There were definite missteps but people tend to only focus on the bits they hate without giving the other parts that were actually pretty solid a chance.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Except Pandaren and Pandaria were featured and mentioned in Frozen Throne so..
    So was a hydralisk in one map. Does that mean the Zerg are a part of Warcraft lore now?

    DUDE THE HYDRALISK HELPED TYRANDE.
    HYDRALISK ARE A MAJOR PART OF WC LORE NOW.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    WC3 intro:
    This shit still looks amazing. WC3 was an era-defining game.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  10. #30
    The Insane Feali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cornelia Street
    Posts
    15,473
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    why can't you people just STOP idolising an expansion that was so hated it lost over 25% of the playerbase before they stopped reporting the numbers?

    it was literally losing players after its first month all the way to the end
    It was losing players because of the insane dailies grind. Not because of the lore.

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    what MASTERPIECE? It started with "fighting muh emotiunz" to "ook you in da dooker" rapist monkeys and a true to their name dumb species of pandas who were too incompetent to do any of the things they themselves criticized us of

    masterpiece? what the hell are you SMOKING man?
    The klaxi had some nice side lore with the dudes you woke up from sleep and their ties to qiraji, that was fucking it, just stop already.
    For the love of god stop telling me the thunder king story was something interesting it was literally just copy paste of chinese history and transposed into wow.

    - - - Updated - - -

    where did i even mention kung fu panda?

    - - - Updated - - -

    where did i even mention pandas?
    And there it is.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    What you expect when you have Afrasiabi sabotaging the games lore and Danuser trying to ''salvage'' it with his own self-inserts in a fanfiction expansion.
    Horseshit deflection because nobody liked his pseudointellectual fractals and patterns. Blame the dude that can't speak for himself anymore.
    Not to say Afrasiabi was good with the lore, maybe he was maybe he wasn't, but Anuser is the one responsible for the Marvel-tier stupidity, the destruction of internal consistency, and the basic soft-reboot of the entire franchise that has happened.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    It was losing players because of the insane dailies grind. Not because of the lore.
    And there it is.
    There what is? The fact that taran zhu admonishes us from start to finish of the expansion about what we should do but we end up saving his ass every time?

    Saved his ass from the shalalalalala
    Saved the entire race's ass from the klaxi
    Saved their continent's ass from the horde

    Yet him and his band of incompetent dipshits get their ass kicked at every turn. Even in 1 v 1 vs garrosh as some ancient martial arts bullshit master he still gets ass fucked.

    And when you lose people after the first month of the game, it's not because of dailies dude. BC and WOTLK had dailies too, as did Cataclysm.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    ok so go assume somehwere else, if you have an actual question, ask it.
    I don't have any question. It was a bad take and I already notified you about it.

    If it was an interesting take, I would maybe have questions.

    I mean, I could have a question and the question would be "Why don't you like MoP ?" but you already answered that question by mentioning how it appeals to "the chinese market" (lol panda). And it wouldn't even be a good question because whether you like the expansion or not is irrelevant to the quality of its writing.

    Is it clear ?
    Last edited by DatToffer; 2022-07-22 at 03:58 PM.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post

    - - - Updated - - -



    bro there's an entire subreddit for politics go farm your thumbs up over there
    Who's farming thumbs ups? It's a pretty obvious conclusion from your statements. You literally are the one who started spewing nonsense about Blizzard selling out to appeal to the "Chinese" with MOP and how them writing in gay characters is a "Fucking weep-inducing the travesty that has become.". Like if you're gonna make statements like that at least own it.

  15. #35
    Herald of the Titans Rendark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    There what is? The fact that taran zhu admonishes us from start to finish of the expansion about what we should do but we end up saving his ass every time?

    Saved his ass from the shalalalalala
    Saved the entire race's ass from the klaxi
    Saved their continent's ass from the horde

    Yet him and his band of incompetent dipshits get their ass kicked at every turn. Even in 1 v 1 vs garrosh as some ancient martial arts bullshit master he still gets ass fucked.

    And when you lose people after the first month of the game, it's not because of dailies dude. BC and WOTLK had dailies too, as did Cataclysm.
    Love people like this. Still so mad about something so good.

  16. #36
    The Insane Feali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cornelia Street
    Posts
    15,473
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    And when you lose people after the first month of the game, it's not because of dailies dude. BC and WOTLK had dailies too, as did Cataclysm.
    It's also most definitely not because of the lore which has no impact on most of the players when it comes to an MMO.
    And to compare MoPs amount of dailies to TBC or Wrath is just wrong and you know that.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaLimaCharlie View Post
    Who's farming thumbs ups? It's a pretty obvious conclusion from your statements. You literally are the one who started spewing nonsense about Blizzard selling out to appeal to the "Chinese" with MOP and how them writing in gay characters is a "Fucking weep-inducing the travesty that has become.". Like if you're gonna make statements like that at least own it.
    Yes, it's not about anti-gay, like you went full woke about it with the trump shit, it's about not wasting time pushing woke agendas into videogames that are traditionally based around a faction conflict and grand battle set pieces.

    It's like the people who try to push female space marines into 40k so hard, despite the universe having UBER strong female characters that are more powerful than the space marines themselves and can even go toe to toe with Chaos gods.

    Whereas the old games were focused about building something fun based in the premise of the universe they'd created, the WoW games are more and more focused on being woke and doing dumb shit like censoring paintings of women wearing bikinis (meanwhile the men still look like Arnold Schwarzennegger on an off day).

    I'm bisexual and i'm STILL sick of this shit.

  18. #38
    I HAVE to ask: OP, do you consider yourself to be a "casual" (by the terms of this forum or rather by the definition of @WowIsDead64)? Same question to everyone that's into the story side of things.

    I am part of the gameplay first, story last fraction of the community. I play the game because the gameplay (in general) is good, top notch even compared to every other MMO of the past 15 years that i have played (yes FF, GW2 and ESO were 3 of them). I couldn't care less for the story. Never reading quest texts (besides the objectives ofc), mostly skipping cutscenes because i watch them on youtube when I can't play the game, so i don't waste my gaming time watching them.

    I'm having a blast playing like that. Because PLAYING the game is fun and because there's nothing but maybe clunkyness of a spec (shadow priest) or balancing (WL/mage/rogue/hunter always competing for the top 5 spots with one of them always being THE BEST spec) that i need to worry about.

    I would say, if some of you guys just stopped caring about the story, im pretty sure you'd have a much better time in game.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    It's also most definitely not because of the lore which has no impact on most of the players when it comes to an MMO.
    And to compare MoPs amount of dailies to TBC or Wrath is just wrong and you know that.
    WoW is not just an MMO. It is a unique MMO because it's founded on a very rich and popular RTS series that houses many good storylines and characters that people really wanted to see again.

    Arthas, Illidan, Turalyon, Khadgar, Alleria, Medivh and so on. People do, at least DID, come to WoW for the lore, just like people would go to a Warhammer 40k game for the lore, or ESO, or Star Wars and so on. Not JUST for lore, but it plays a major factor for many people.

    You imply i'm obtuse on the daily quest count? Don't be obtuse on this then.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    I don't have any question. It was a bad take and I already notified you about it.

    If it was an interesting take, I would maybe have questions.

    I mean, I could have a question and the question would be "Why don't you like MoP ?" but you already answered that question by mentioning how it appeals to "the chinese market" (lol panda). And it wouldn't even be a good question because whether you like the expansion or not is irrelevant to the quality of its writing.

    Is it clear ?
    No, it is not.

    I didn't like pandaria not because it was clearly hamfisted into Warcraft lore based on a tiny spec of appearance in W3 just to appeal to chinese numbers, but because it was hamfisted badly.

    The pandaren could have been really cool, but were designed to be weak, incompetent pieces of shit. Taran zhu is a key example of utter incompetence despite spouting holier than thou criticism constantly at the players.

    Their samurai heritage was gone so as to not offend china because they hate Japan. They had a LOT of samurai/japanese influence in Samwise's art.

    Their backlore was literally copy pasted chinese history and folklore transposed into wow with 0 attempt at originality.

    Their main foe at the start of the game was a joke for Warcraft standards. Who the FUCK comes to Warcraft to fight their negative emotions?

    Their entire existence served no purpose to the advancement of Warcraft lore. Everything we found on their continent could just as easily have existed somewhere else on Azeroth without the hassle of designing a new race. They brought nothing new to the table.

    The gameplay brought nothing new other than the timeless at the very end when they wanted some competition to GW2's open world questing system, which they want hard into Warlords with and even harder in Legion onward.

    The female character models look cool in a lot of the armor sets in the game, that's pretty much the only good thing this expansion left behind. My rogue in trial of the crusader tier looks great.

    And so on.
    Last edited by AppleWhiskey; 2022-07-22 at 04:09 PM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    No, it is not.

    I didn't like pandaria not because it was clearly hamfisted into Warcraft lore based on a tiny spec of appearance in W3 just to appeal to chinese numbers, but because it was hamfisted badly.

    The pandaren could have been really cool, but were designed to be weak, incompetent pieces of shit. Taran zhu is a key example of utter incompetence despite spouting holier than thou criticism constantly at the players.

    Their samurai heritage was gone so as to not offend china because they hate Japan. They had a LOT of samurai/japanese influence in Samwise's art.

    Their backlore was literally copy pasted chinese history and folklore transposed into wow with 0 attempt at originality.

    Their main foe at the start of the game was a joke for Warcraft standards. Who the FUCK comes to Warcraft to fight their negative emotions?

    Their entire existence served no purpose to the advancement of Warcraft lore. Everything we found on their continent could just as easily have existed somewhere else on Azeroth without the hassle of designing a new race. They brought nothing new to the table.

    The gameplay brought nothing new other than the timeless at the very end when they wanted some competition to GW2's open world questing system, which they want hard into Warlords with and even harder in Legion onward.

    The female character models look cool in a lot of the armor sets in the game, that's pretty much the only good thing this expansion left behind. My rogue in trial of the crusader tier looks great.

    And so on.
    This criticism seems very valid. And not only for pandaria, but most of the lore at any time of the Warcraft license.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •