i5-11600K or i7-11700K

I'm looking to upgrade my cpu( i5-7600k) and was wondering which would be better for gaming, i5-11600K or i7-11700K.

Some of the games I play:
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Star wars Jedi Fallen Order
    Cyberpunk 2077
    No Man's Sky
    Elden Ring

And in case you want/need to know, gpu is a RTX3070. And I don't do any type of streaming or video/audio editing, Just gaming and web browsing.

Thank you in advance!
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

Any reason you’re going last gen instead of current gen?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    Any reason you’re going last gen instead of current gen?
    Price/bundle. The i7 comes with a mobo and the i5 is cheap enough to allow for a mobo purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Price/bundle. The i7 comes with a mobo and the i5 is cheap enough to allow for a mobo purchase.
    Old thread by now...But dont get 11th gen intel. Imo the worst generation ever. And it only lasted like 8 months. Just see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B14h...sableadblock=1

12th gen 12400 up to 12700k or ryzen 5600 is all you really need for gaming if you dont want to push high frame rates.

The power draw alone is way better on 12th gen. Just dont buy a 12900k obviously, but their mid range runs pretty good, through AMD using TSMC magic is better on power draw.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2022-08-16 at 10:10 AM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The gaming framerate difference between the 2 is going to be indiscernible, ~2-3 fps max with a 3070. Though you may have already purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    The gaming framerate difference between the 2 is going to be indiscernible, ~2-3 fps max with a 3070. Though you may have already purchased.
    I have not. I think I'm going to hold off for a bit and save a little more money for 12th gen.

despite what benchmarks from pcmasterrace.com might say. I think it's all down to the GPU, the CPU is pretty much useless past a certain point and both cpus are way past that point, there's going to be no GPU bottleneck from either. The latter may have more cores but no game I know of is six-core threaded, four-core threaded at best and even that only gives minuscule gains. Just my opinion, based on experience nothing else mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks2017 View Post
    despite what benchmarks from pcmasterrace.com might say. I think it's all down to the GPU, the CPU is pretty much useless past a certain point and both cpus are way past that point, there's going to be no GPU bottleneck from either. The latter may have more cores but no game I know of is six-core threaded, four-core threaded at best and even that only gives minuscule gains. Just my opinion, based on experience nothing else mate.
    That depends a lot on what game you're looking at. There's absolutely games that are incredibly CPU-heavy, and also games that utilize (or don't utilize) cores in specific ways (a particular MMO is a prime example for that, it's called 'World of Warcraft' you may have heard about it). For those games, a high individual core clock speed, for example, can make a far more significant performance difference than the number of cores or the GPU. But of course for other games, that can be very different, and the GPU will trump CPU performance by a big margin.

Neither CPU nor GPU are irrelevant, it just becomes a function of cost and use case that weights different aspects differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That depends a lot on what game you're looking at. There's absolutely games that are incredibly CPU-heavy, and also games that utilize (or don't utilize) cores in specific ways (a particular MMO is a prime example for that, it's called 'World of Warcraft' you may have heard about it). For those games, a high individual core clock speed, for example, can make a far more significant performance difference than the number of cores or the GPU. But of course for other games, that can be very different, and the GPU will trump CPU performance by a big margin.

Neither CPU nor GPU are irrelevant, it just becomes a function of cost and use case that weights different aspects differently.
    Yup, I've seen the WoW benchmarks on multi-core performance. The conclusion was pretty much this: single clock speed triumph over multi-core CPU with lower clock speeds and there is just minuscule returns for more cores and more .

More CPU clock speed DOES help in WoW because it is a pretty old game and because it is trying to reach the masses who most likely can't afford a dedicated GPU. But OP mentioned some pretty heavy GPU demanding games and considering the fact that those two CPUs he showed us have WAY WAY WAY too much clock speed for WoW and for most games running at FHD really, he could just choose either.

He could get a +10fps boost from the core i7 but he could get the same boost through dual-channeling RAM or doing some perfomance settings too. Both CPUs at least based on my experience are way too fast for most games.

I admit...the extra clock speed COULD help if you have say a 3060RTX or a 3050Ti.

But he's already got a monster GPU which completely overwhelms the small difference in CPU clock speed between the two.

My Shitty 1660Ti with Core i5 8th gen CPU can run pretty much any game at ultra settings and for WoW...the GPU's only at 10% with all settings maxed out...I can only imagine what would it be like with a 3070RTX.

Even if the dude wanted to play the game at 4k, that small difference between the two is not goign to make a big difference. The 8GB vRAM will take ALL the LOAD with eitiher just fine. If he had to choose between a Core i9 12900H or a Core i7/i5...that would be another story.
    Last edited by Trunks2017; 2022-08-22 at 01:37 AM.

Check out AMD 5800 "3D" Edition , Not the x version but the 3D one , It's better then both you mentioned and motherboard you can get cheaper options . It's even faster then 12k Intel series in many titles .
    Last edited by jacktheking; 2022-09-03 at 01:56 AM.