Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lightbulb Wrath classic will become it's own timeline (THEORY)

Good afternoon strugglers!

A discussion between some friends put out some really cool ideas, and I'd be interested in seeing what other people thought.

With Wrath classic coming soon (September 26th leak?) and Dragonflight coming at the end of the year, Blizzard will be tasked with continuing the life of Classic. The idea of "Classic +" has been discussed, but what if they use Dragonflight to change history with Classic?

The Bronze and Infinite dragonflights are perfect to help establish Classic as an alternate timeline/reality. Specifically, what if we prevent Deathwing because we were warned (Nozdormu or Murozond?). Better yet, Nozdormu comes and refers to the modern world and how something went wrong around the time Deathwing came. It could drastically change the series of events that happened between Cata-Shadowlands, and Blizzard could use that as an opportunity to change some of the missteps over the years while preserving the "classic" feel.

Of course this is just wishful thinking, but I still think it's pretty neat. What are your thoughts and opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well… this is definitely a fan fiction, I’ll give it that.

I don't see the point to be honest.

People who like Classic (like me) like it, because it's the old game. If Blizzard were to add new "classic" expansions, change up classes (or even add some) then you'd be just back to retail more or less. Wrath and even TBC already feel in many ways like retail. Only the classic Classic felt like a different game.

Blizzard should just keep re-releasing old expansions as seasons or whatever from time to time and maybe make some changes over time. But if they want to add new content, implement completely new stuff, then they should just do it through retail. There's no point in having 2 "different" new WoW's which would more or less be the same.

Man, and people accuse me of huffing Copium. You're mainlining the medical grade variety if you think this has the slightest possibility of happening.

People were calling for the same thing when Classic first came out—I highly doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do hope not. It is Classic, it is, sadly, to be designed to run in the steps of the real game, as a re-enactment (aka. not completely historically accurate, but close to).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

With the current writers it won’t do any good. If they can’t get retails story right then how can you trust them to do a complete re-do? You want the game to stay in the spirit of Classic but the people who made this game are long gone

I'd rather just read actual fanfiction than uncomfortably watch from the safety of Retail as Blizzard attempts to morph Classic into something that it's not, and suddenly put two entire Worlds of Warcraft on their lore plate when they can barely manage one.

I’m hoping they release cataclysm with some adjustments. Cata was good. It was easier to blame Blizzard for the way people were feeling when WotLK ended than to admit they were heavily addicted, and cata was just enough of a break off from their addiction that people joined the anti-blizz mobs as some sort of hate-fueled wowaholics anonymous.

If anything related to Classic+ will ever be a thing, it's going to stay away from Retail anyway.

No need for a crossover, overlap, if it's supposed to be a separate timeline, it needs to be separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    I’m hoping they release cataclysm with some adjustments. Cata was good.
    I liked Cata aside from most of Draqon Soul.

I would love to see something "classic-like" in the MMO market today, but I really don't think your theory has any chance of happening whatsoever (and if it did, I don't trust Blizzard to do it properly).

I'd be happy to be wrong, but my copium supply isn't hard enough for me to believe otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    I liked Cata aside from most of Draqon Soul.
    Honestly, yeah. The first half of dragon soul was great. The only thing wrong with it, imo, was that it went on too long, and the confrontations with deathwing were kinda boring. I was hoping for something a bit more epic than that.

If they were going to create an alternative timeline why wouldn't they just start from after WarCraft III?

That's basically what they do with all the spinoffs anyway.

I honestly think people are giving Blizzard FAR too much credit - reality is, they either stop with wrath and look at seasonal content / leader boards / etc, or, they simply release cata classic. People have proven time and time again they will throw money at whatever Blizzard release, so there is no logical reason for them to try any harder or do anything different or potentially risky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruion894 View Post
    Good afternoon strugglers!

A discussion between some friends put out some really cool ideas, and I'd be interested in seeing what other people thought.

With Wrath classic coming soon (September 26th leak?) and Dragonflight coming at the end of the year, Blizzard will be tasked with continuing the life of Classic. The idea of "Classic +" has been discussed, but what if they use Dragonflight to change history with Classic?

The Bronze and Infinite dragonflights are perfect to help establish Classic as an alternate timeline/reality. Specifically, what if we prevent Deathwing because we were warned (Nozdormu or Murozond?). Better yet, Nozdormu comes and refers to the modern world and how something went wrong around the time Deathwing came. It could drastically change the series of events that happened between Cata-Shadowlands, and Blizzard could use that as an opportunity to change some of the missteps over the years while preserving the "classic" feel.

Of course this is just wishful thinking, but I still think it's pretty neat. What are your thoughts and opinions?
    I would not be surprised to see them create spinoffs or otherwise alternative timeline based games, but i don't thinj they're going to want to maintain two competing mmo's.

Additionally this new alternate branch's content would still be made by the present-day Blizzard, so woke and other messy nonsense would still seep in just as much as all other nasty stuff that one might find in retail.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

instead of multiple timelines, i would prefer they do full expansions that are set between 2 other expansions and tell smaller-scale stories. like set a defias tale between vanilla and bc. nothing that would really alter the story of bc, but a full xpac all the same.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    I’m hoping they release cataclysm with some adjustments. Cata was good. It was easier to blame Blizzard for the way people were feeling when WotLK ended than to admit they were heavily addicted, and cata was just enough of a break off from their addiction that people joined the anti-blizz mobs as some sort of hate-fueled wowaholics anonymous.
    I feel like cata made 2 big mistakes that kinda ´´ ruined the game ´´ for many.

1. Dragonsoul lasted to long with reused assets painting a giant target onto the expansion in many ways

2. It broke the casual players bubble of being not the best but atleast good at the game. With dungeons ( heroic) being really rough, raids demanding more and rbg + arena requiring higher skill caps. A lot of people who were ´´ good ´´ at the game now werent able to get their after work/ school kick of crushing some heroics for catch up gear and later pugging some raids, or getting a decent rating in pvp.

also lore issues could be discussed but i dont think they play a big role

- people not knowing that deathwing was part of wow before the lich king was even imagined and had tons of old lore to him
    - big parts of the old lore being ignored and never displayed ingame

Why would Blizzard want to work when they don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    I feel like cata made 2 big mistakes that kinda ´´ ruined the game ´´ for many.

1. Dragonsoul lasted to long with reused assets painting a giant target onto the expansion in many ways

2. It broke the casual players bubble of being not the best but atleast good at the game. With dungeons ( heroic) being really rough, raids demanding more and rbg + arena requiring higher skill caps. A lot of people who were ´´ good ´´ at the game now werent able to get their after work/ school kick of crushing some heroics for catch up gear and later pugging some raids, or getting a decent rating in pvp.

also lore issues could be discussed but i dont think they play a big role

- people not knowing that deathwing was part of wow before the lich king was even imagined and had tons of old lore to him
    - big parts of the old lore being ignored and never displayed ingame
    the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE error made in cata was cross-realm groups for dungeons and raids. that drove a spike (a sargeras' sized sword?) into in-game communities and drastically altered the game from one where you have a large community of players experiencing the game together to a game where we are all mercenaries for hire dipping in and out of raids and dungeons without saying a word. the social aspect of WoW utterly died and it turned into mostly a single-player game sometimes played with other people that might as well be NPCs.

wow is not even the same game after that. its a shell of itself.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2022-07-23 at 03:08 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.