Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Movie]: Avengers Kang Dynasty/Secret Wars

#MarvelStudios boss Kevin Feige says fans will learn more about #Marvel’s next big saga in the coming months.

“We’ll be a little more direct, to set out a plan, so that fans who want to, can see a tiny bit more of the roadmap”

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/ke...d23-expo-2022/

This will possibly be the biggest cinema event of all time perhaps for decades to come when this is released. It will be very difficult to top Secret Wars since it involves nearly every single Marvel hero and villain. All will be revealed September 10th
    Last edited by TheramoreIsTheBomb; 2022-06-20 at 07:21 PM.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

"Biggest cinema event of all time?" Please. Harry Potter's massive explosion of popularity was facilitated by the normie corporate media. Harry Potter was the last gasp of an era in which there was a monolithic corporate infrastructure that could direct everybody's attention to this one thing and continue delivering to meet demand. We probably won't see an explosion in popularity like Star Wars or Harry Potter again, all pervading cultural phenomena known to everyone. Not even the MCU or Game of Thrones managed to achieve that level of popularity, as now people's options are too diversified to catch everybody's attention.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be very difficult to top Secret Wars since it involves nearly every single Marvel hero and villain.
    As if having bigger and flashier spectacle and 200 characters will make Marvel movies good again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    This will possibly be the biggest cinema event of all time perhaps for decades to come when this is released. It will be very difficult to top Secret Wars since it involves nearly every single Marvel hero and villain. All will be revealed September 10th
    So which is it?

Biggest event of all time...or biggest event for decades to come? "All time" is infinite..or at least so close to being infinite that the difference is immaterial to the human experience.

Very Difficult to top...or impossible? Biggest event of all time would make it impossible to top.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    So which is it?
    Since the future doesn't exist yet, "all time" can only ever go up to and including the present moment

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Since the future doesn't exist yet, "all time" can only ever go up to and including the present moment
    By that logic than "decades to come" doesn't exist yet either.

Seems kinda like Goldfish mentality to me... but you do you, bruh :P
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    "Biggest cinema event of all time?" Please. Harry Potter's massive explosion of popularity was facilitated by the normie corporate media. Harry Potter was the last gasp of an era in which there was a monolithic corporate infrastructure that could direct everybody's attention to this one thing and continue delivering to meet demand. We probably won't see an explosion in popularity like Star Wars or Harry Potter again, all pervading cultural phenomena known to everyone. Not even the MCU or Game of Thrones managed to achieve that level of popularity, as now people's options are too diversified to catch everybody's attention.
    The MCU has already annihilated both Star Wars and Harry Potter in terms of revenue and popularity. It isn't even close.

Here's Harry Potter, which you're making way too big a deal of; https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchise/fr558337797/

Topping it out with Deathly Hallows Pt 2 and just south for $400m total worldwide revenue. Which is a lot. And I'm including the Fantastic Beasts films to round this out as much as possible.

Here's the MCU; https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...bo_frs_table_1

Of the 28 films so far in the franchise, the top 12 have all done better than any Harry Potter movie. And while three of the more-recent films have been significantly lower in revenue terms (Shang Chi, Black Widow, and Eternals), all three were released during the pandemic, which undoubtedly affected things. If we look at the most-recent Wizarding World films, it's the latest two Fantastic Beasts films, and Crimes of Grindelwald did worse than The Eternals. Only beating the original Incredible Hulk film with Ed Norton, which everyone forgets was technically part of the MCU. Secrets of Dumbledore is still making money, but it doesn't look like it's setting new heights, either.

So I don't know what pipe you're smoking from if you think Harry Potter was super successful and the MCU has not been much bigger. Both in scope (28 films vs 11) and revenue.

If you've got a problem with the source, feel free to use another, BOM came up first and I kept with it to keep consistent.

And that's just looking at revenue. What Marvel managed to pull off by weaving together a whole bunch of different story threads into Infinity War/Endgame was an achievement in planning and organization that's never been pulled off in film, ever.

If Marvel's aiming for the "biggest cinema event of all time", they're trying to one-up themselves, not anyone else.

I'm talking about cultural impact here. When Star Wars came out, everybody saw it. I don't know anyone who has seen a marvel film since... Ultron? I've never even heard of it talked about in public since then. The first Avengers movie was pretty decently big in the US, with long lines outside of theaters, and several people I knew went to see it, but that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    By that logic than "decades to come" doesn't exist yet either.

Seems kinda like Goldfish mentality to me... but you do you, bruh :P
    I guess the yellow smiling face wasn't enough to mark this as humorous for some people.

I'll make sure to include written instructions next time, it seems some people can't parse things without that. Good call.

I don't know anyone
    You should’ve just stopped there. It’s the most believable thing I’ve seen you post.

I'm talking about cultural impact here. When Star Wars came out, everybody saw it. I don't know anyone who has seen a marvel film since... Ultron? I've never even heard of it talked about in public since then. The first Avengers movie was pretty decently big in the US, with long lines outside of theaters, and several people I knew went to see it, but that was it.
    Sure

youy don't know anyone that's seen Infinity war and Endgame.

Pull the other one.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think the MCU hasn't had a massive cultural impact as well, you haven't paid any attention.

I mean...someone's buying those tickets
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Here's Harry Potter, which you're making way too big a deal of; https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchise/fr558337797/

Topping it out with Deathly Hallows Pt 2 and just south for $400m total worldwide revenue. Which is a lot. And I'm including the Fantastic Beasts films to round this out as much as possible.

Here's the MCU; https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...bo_frs_table_1
    Those are the domestic numbers for both links.

The world wide numbers for the MCU still murder Potter’s numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I guess the yellow smiling face wasn't enough to mark this as humorous for some people.

I'll make sure to include written instructions next time, it seems some people can't parse things without that. Good call.
    Perhaps you didn't notice the :P which indicates the response was intended in the same way.

anything to get these people off the mutliverse bullshit...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Those are he domestic numbers for both links.

The world wide numbers for the MCU still murder Potter’s numbers.
    Yeah, I realized after the fact it's just domestic, and isn't properly accounting for ticket-price inflation.

Here's some figures for the top films by that assessment, in terms of "tickets sold" rather than "dollars made", which is probably a better measure;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rice_inflation

Star Wars comes off a lot better that way, though the newer films aren't beating the top MCU films, for the most part. Star Wars also got to build hype with decadal gaps between trilogies, which is a factor that should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, I realized after the fact it's just domestic, and isn't properly accounting for ticket-price inflation.

Here's some figures for the top films by that assessment, in terms of "tickets sold" rather than "dollars made", which is probably a better measure;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rice_inflation

Star Wars comes off a lot better that way, though the newer films aren't beating the top MCU films, for the most part. Star Wars also got to build hype with decadal gaps between trilogies, which is a factor that should be considered.
    I don’t think Star Wars and the MCU can be accurately compared regardless. As a series of films Star Wars does have massive cultural relevance which was created by its films. Potter’s films are impressive as a series but it’s cultural relevance was created by the books. The MCU had at least a few decades of comics and other media. The Spider-man movies probably helped make people more receptive to well made super hero movies.

You don't know anyone who has watched Endgame, Infinity War, Far from Home, or Strange 2? I'm not gonna call you a liar, but consider your friends non-representative given that the first one in particular was THE box office smash of the previous decade.

As for cultural impact, have you been around kids lately? The superhero stuff is as much part of their childhood as Star Wars was to 80s kids. It certainly murders Harry Potter in this regard which still has a large and very dedicated fanbase but is nowhere near as culturally omnipresent as the MCU is.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    What version of secret Wars we talking here?

Secret Wars (1984)?
    Secret Wars (2015)?

One is a classic the other is an over bloated overly long bit of tripe that caused me to give up reading Marvel for 5 years lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-20 at 10:13 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't wanna shit up a dedicated topic by being a contrarian but I'm with Val here. I've been completely burned out on this superhero franchise getting milked for as much as humanly possible since age of ultron. For me, it's tainted by the very aggressive marketing and hyper cons00merism culture. If you don't mind that you've probably been having a very good time in the last decade orso and I hope you continue to do so. I wish some of my favorite franchises got 15% of the budget this does.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla