3+ Year Old Account

Did anyone else think this about combat styles…

I was super excited for combat styles, primarily because I thought it was a “class fusion” system like in Guild Wars, only to discover it’s more akin to dual spec in World of Warcraft.

The new system is still cool and I’m enjoying the game again (played in 2015-2016) but I was a little disappointed when I discovered this aspect of combat styles. To be clear I don’t necessarily think they should do such a thing, considering the balancing nightmare that would likely follow. However, I really love the idea of my Pureblood Sith Warrior being a hybrid of a Juggernaut and Sorcerer/Assassin. A Juggernaut with heals or one with stealth, which do you think would be more OP? (Prob the former lol). Combat style fusions would be super cool! A single character could mix and match the 4 unique combat styles, along with their 3 disciplines, allowing players to tinker with all sorts of powerful and/or interesting builds. I doubt the feasibility of this happening, again because of the balancing nightmare. One thing is for sure, though; combat style fusions would be a huge boost to player power, so endgame content would probably need some sort of difficulty spike to prevent all the gigachads from wreaking too much havoc with their otherwise brokenly OP builds.

Anyways I’m done rambling [for now]. Did anyone else make the same mistake I did, thinking we would be able to fuse combat styles? I'm sure I’ll feel kind of dumb about this in retrospect but meh... Ignorance is [was] bliss.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2022-07-25 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    I was super excited for combat styles, primarily because I thought it was a “class fusion” system like in Guild Wars, only to discover it’s more akin to dual spec in World of Warcraft.

The new system is still cool and I’m enjoying the game again (played in 2015-2016) but I was a little disappointed when I discovered this aspect of combat styles. To be clear I don’t necessarily think they should do such a thing, considering the balancing nightmare that would likely follow. However, I really love the idea of my Pureblood Sith Warrior being a hybrid of a Juggernaut and Sorcerer/Assassin. A Juggernaut with heals or one with stealth, which do you think would be more OP? (Prob the former lol). Combat style fusions would be super cool! A single character could mix and match the 4 unique combat styles, along with their 3 disciplines, allowing players to tinker with all sorts of powerful and/or interesting builds. I doubt the feasibility of this happening, again because of the balancing nightmare. One thing is for sure, though; combat style fusions would be a huge boost to player power, so endgame content would probably need some sort of difficulty spike to prevent all the gigachads from wreaking too much havoc with their otherwise brokenly OP builds.

Anyways I’m done rambling [for now]. Did anyone else make the same mistake I did, thinking we would be able to fuse combat styles? I'm sure I’ll feel kind of dumb about this in retrospect but meh... Ignorance is [was] bliss.
    The literature released on what combat styles were going to be was clear from the start that it wasn't a mixing of anything game play wise, you could just choose a combat style from within the Force classes as a Force using character or from within the Tech classes with a tech using character. i.e. playing as a Juggernaut as an Inquisitor or play as an Operative as a Bounty Hunter.

Nothing more.

So no, I never thought combat styles was going to be some kind of fusion of the different class game play styles.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not even for a second. It was clear from the start that it wouldn't be anything like that.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with the previous comments as well, however, they said that the introduction of CS' opens the door for new ones. Since they dont need to come up with new VAs for a new class and then they have the whole origin story stuff, we were never going to get new ones. With CS' a class like the one you described seems much more likely as it will only deal with animations and abilities.