Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I like to envision a raid utility for Ret called "Inspiration". It leans into the fantasy of a "field general" inspiring his/her troops in battle. Spending Holy Power builds up an "Inspiration bar"; when maxed, one of a few abilties either become available to pick from, or are randomly cast.

- A lower-effectiveness World of Glory heal on all party/raid members within X yards
    - Short-duration raidwide % stat buff (randomized?)
    - Raid members within X yards deal X% of their damage as Holy damage for X seconds
    - All raid members gain Avenging Wrath for X seconds (probably OP)
    - 1-second group/raidwide Divine Shield (probably OP)

Things like that.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2022-08-22 at 06:43 PM.

I mean that's kinda what the night fae thing was and everyone hated it

My idea for a utility would have been a throwback to the Classic-WotLK era talent "Sanctified Retribution", but tweaked to better mesh with WoW's modern skills and talents. It would read as follows -

Sanctified Retribution
    Instant
    5 min cooldown

Utter a vow of enmity against the wicked, granting Seraphim to all party and raid members within 40 yards of you. Lasts 20 seconds.

The intent behind my suggestion was to give Ret a mini lust effect that leans into the fantasy of a vengeful crusader that doesn't require a party member be slain to activate, but without stepping on the toes of existing Paladin utilities such Holy's Aura Mastery talent that bolsters party survivability. Talents that provide DPS/HPS increases are always valuable, and such an ability would make Ret an appealing choice when forming a raid roster, even if their overall damage output happens to not be the greatest for the current patch cycle.

Sanctified Retribution would not inflict the exhaustion debuff, and if the ret paladin who cast the spell benefits from Seraphim before the effect expires (whether manually or passively through Retribution Aura) it alters Seraphim's duration to reflect the buff with the highest remaining time left.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-08-22 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gungus View Post

You think the girl born with eight limbs is now a spider?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celvira View Post
    My idea for a utility would have been a throwback to the Classic-WotLK era talent "Sanctified Retribution", but tweaked to better mesh with WoW's modern skills and talents. It would read as follows -

Sanctified Retribution
    Instant
    5 min cooldown

Utter a vow of enmity against the wicked, granting Seraphim to all party and raid members within 40 yards of you. Lasts 20 seconds.

The intent behind my suggestion was to give Ret a mini lust effect that leans into the fantasy of a vengeful crusader that doesn't require a party member be slain to activate, but without stepping on the toes of existing Paladin utilities such Holy's Aura Mastery talent that bolsters party survivability. Talents that provide DPS/HPS increases are always valuable, and such an ability would make Ret an appealing choice when forming a raid roster, even if their overall damage output happens to not be the greatest for the current patch cycle.

Sanctified Retribution would not inflict the exhaustion debuff, and if the ret paladin who cast the spell benefits from Seraphim before the effect expires (whether manually or passively through Retribution Aura) it alters Seraphim's duration to reflect the buff with the highest remaining time left.
    That's a pretty cool idea.

I recently had a thought about Retribution Aura. What if it had a bonus effect where, if you're the last one standing in a full raid/party, you become a Divine Avenger for 15 seconds. This buff gives you 75% damage absorption, 25% bonus damage, and a Naaru spawns to give minor heals. 1 hour CD, resets like Bloodlust.

Divine Avenger could be a Ret-only talent, and this effect would be a secondary effect to one of the passive talents (2% mastery for example).

This would be a fun niche thing for Rets, and would finally give them something only their spec can bring.

Sanctified Retribution
    Instant
    5 min cooldown

Yes, that is a cool idea, and practical. Roboscorcher's is awesome as well.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2022-08-23 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    That's a pretty cool idea.

I recently had a thought about Retribution Aura. What if it had a bonus effect where, if you're the last one standing in a full raid/party, you become a Divine Avenger for 15 seconds. This buff gives you 75% damage absorption, 25% bonus damage, and a Naaru spawns to give minor heals. 1 hour CD, resets like Bloodlust.

Divine Avenger could be a Ret-only talent, and this effect would be a secondary effect to one of the passive talents (2% mastery for example).

This would be a fun niche thing for Rets, and would finally give them something only their spec can bring.
    Don't like. If you are the last one standing, the fight is basically over. 15s mean nothing. We need something that benefits the group while everybody is alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think mobility is our biggest issue in PvP. Once it's fixed it will also improve our survivability. With more uptime we'll be able to pressure more, heal more, interrupt more. At 45 seconds cooldown Divine Steed is never going to be enough.

Group Seraphim would be way too powerful lol.

Just adding back the Legion-BFA passive would be a huge boost in progression when people die more frequently.

Dungeon utility is a lot harder since it's competing against so many other melee specs for basically 1 or maybe 2 slots. If dungeons output more unavoidable damage and off-healing was improved, it would help a fair bit. Just not sure they'll go back to that model

I'd rather we get utility that doesn't encourage allies to die to gain a DPS benefit, and that includes the older Retribution passive. In mythic, early deaths usually result in the raid lead calling for a wipe anyways, and the personal DPS gain becomes, less and less relevant as your guild becomes comfortable performing mechanics.

Also, I believe the group Seraphim can work if the values prove to be too strong. Instead of 8% increases, it can be lowered to 3% to account for the entire group receiving the buff. If it's still considered overkill, the classic version of Sanctified Retribution gave a flat 3% damage increase, so the ability could be altered to cause all the party/raid members attacks to deal additional holy damage for the duration.

I just wanted a skill that felt more engaging for the raid beyond a simple damage increase (more haste speeds up rotations, and select classes can proc effects with the higher crit-chance).

Paladins getting brez, which is something

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    Yeah, but it's ultimately inconsequential since DK, another plate DPS, has a battle rez and the coveted Anti-Magic Zone in a single package. Plus, brez has limited uses per encounter, but having a Blood tank and a DK dps means the entire raid gets two uses of AMZ, compared to Paladin's utility of making a single player invulnerable every 3-5 minutes (a Protection Paladin will likely use their immunity on themselves dealing with mechanics, so that utility tends to only benefit themselves).

Also, there is a chance Ion mixed-up the class that receives the new brez during the interview (saying the first class that came to mind), and it could very well end up going to Priest. He never confirmed which class gets it, just hinted, so we still need confirmation.

However, if Paladin does get the new brez, but with an added effect (such as giving the Paladin who cast the brez a small duration of wings that stacks with our passive) then we could possibly be going somewhere. But brez's usually don't have a secondary effect, so this is wishful thinking at best.
    Last edited by Celvira; 2022-08-25 at 10:25 PM.

I mean it's nice for small groups and no longer makes engineering mandatory, but that's about it. Still not a reason to take a paladin

I mean it's nice for small groups and no longer makes engineering mandatory, but that's about it. Still not a reason to take a paladin
    Given my gear-luck I'll be stuck with Engineering for the googles anyway (unless Smithing has good hats).

Wait is it confirmed its paladin? I just saw another class might get it.

I heard it was elsewhere, but maybe maybe it was an example and not for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    Ion mentioned one more class is getting battle res. He also mentioned they are considering paladin. It is not 100% yet but mosty likely paladins will get it. It fits the paladin best and ret really needs 5man utility.
    I think it's great. A lot of paladins, including me, have been asking for battle res.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    Ion mentioned one more class is getting battle res. He also mentioned they are considering paladin. It is not 100% yet but mosty likely paladins will get it. It fits the paladin best and ret really needs 5man utility.
    I think it's great. A lot of paladins, including me, have been asking for battle res.
    Haha I was just reading that and thinking "that would be a great addition to Retribution Aura. When it procs, the paladin rez becomes a brez." This would allow all Paladins to use it, but Ret would be in the best position to use it. They could even make it a Ret tree talent, to make it spec specific. But the RetAura solution is fairer, where Holy and Prot can still brez if they switch auras.

even classic trees are better than this.

Yeah, but it's ultimately inconsequential since DK, another plate DPS, has a battle rez and the coveted Anti-Magic Zone in a single package. Plus, brez has limited uses per encounter, but having a Blood tank and a DK dps means the entire raid gets two uses of AMZ, compared to Paladin's utility of making a single player invulnerable every 3-5 minutes (a Protection Paladin will likely use their immunity on themselves dealing with mechanics, so that utility tends to only benefit themselves).

Also, there is a chance Ion mixed-up the class that receives the new brez during the interview (saying the first class that came to mind), and it could very well end up going to Priest. He never confirmed which class gets it, just hinted, so we still need confirmation.

However, if Paladin does get the new brez, but with an added effect (such as giving the Paladin who cast the brez a small duration of wings that stacks with our passive) then we could possibly be going somewhere. But brez's usually don't have a secondary effect, so this is wishful thinking at best.
    Well... the druid one gives a more powerful well fed effect in SL. With the conduit that is.

this talent tree is quite sad.

Its like they understand the old tree was more fun but the totally fail to understand why. Its not about just pushing buttons its about freedom. If you look yourself to the meta it is your decision not blizzard decision.