Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    What makes you think that boosting correlates to less people wanting to group with you?

Those that buy boosts will take the path of least resistance, what is fastest - finding a random pug group to do a dungeon with or just carry on solo questing with heirlooms?

Those that want to do dungeons are already doing dungeons, and it turns out they're very, very few.
    Acquiring 5 or so dungeon quests while out there soloing, and then going to the dungeon to knock them all out 1 time, is faster. Plus, even if the dungeon is not as fast, many ppl prefer doing one every now and then as a change of pace, to try for a piece of gear, or for a specific reward from the dungeon quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    This.

They stated that their intention was solving the economy that was surrounding boosting methods.

Why did they not just gut the exp gained for being carried? Why implement all of these weird changes that also impact people farming solo and impact people playing through the dungeons legitimately?

They never said that paladin and mage solo farming for raw gold was an issue, they said boosting was.
    Yeah, it's absolute bullshit. People that want to farm on their own, maybe enjoy trying to solo stuff for a laugh or challenge are getting penalised also.

Not sure how it works completely, but wouldn't this also affect normal dungeon groups? Say you're pulling a group of mobs and then the tank dies, can a Hunter or Mage use their head and kite a mob away or kite it to kill it? Because by the sounds of things you can't.

They certainly messed up. But I have a different impression than most of the pro-boosters in this thread.

The reason they targeted solo farming is that if boosting is disabled, gold sellers will switch back to solo farming. In the original wrath bots were endemic in old instances (including raids). However, there can be legitimate reasons to solo old instances - eg for rare mounts, for transmogs and for achievements and for own use gold.

I am familiar with about 6 guilds on my server. There is very little support for boosters in these guilds and only a small percentage of people in these guilds use them. The notion in this thread that no-one wants to level does not hold up to scrutiny - though I am sure there is a significant population who would prefer end game only servers. At the moment there is a huge population levelling on our server - partly driven by the arrival of the xp buff, but also a significant population starting for wrath or switching from completely unbalanced PvP servers. Maybe 6 months into the expansion the buff could return for levelling alts and late arrivals. With the buff it is fastest to level by quests alone. Despite this, for the first time since Vanilla, there are lots of groups forming to do low level instances via looking for group. This just did not happen prior to the boosting nerfs - and a lot of people got high level guild mates to run their alts through levelling instances.

At the moment it is like the cure is worse than the disease. I hope Blizzard has the competence to fix these changes so they work
    Last edited by irdsyd; 2022-07-28 at 05:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    What makes you think that boosting correlates to less people wanting to group with you?

Those that buy boosts will take the path of least resistance, what is fastest - finding a random pug group to do a dungeon with or just carry on solo questing with heirlooms?

Those that want to do dungeons are already doing dungeons, and it turns out they're very, very few.
    i take leveling over boosting any day. and the older dungeons are fun. and the gear from them makes leveling easier and faster. personally i like that more people are doing them now that boosting is dead cause im currently leveling yet another alt. i like being out in the world. its a nice change from leveling by random dungeon group for 50 levels and then doing heroics till raid time. i like being in the world and doing things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by irdsyd View Post
    They certainly messed up. But I have a different impression than most of the pro-boosters in this thread.

The reason they targeted solo farming is that if boosting is disabled, gold sellers will switch back to solo farming. In the original wrath bots were endemic in old instances (including raids). However, there can be legitimate reasons to solo old instances - eg for rare mounts, for transmogs and for achievements and for own use gold.

I am familiar with about 6 guilds on my server. There is very little support for boosters in these guilds and only a small percentage of people in these guilds use them. The notion in this thread that no-one wants to level does not hold up to scrutiny - though I am sure there is a significant population who would prefer end game only servers. At the moment there is a huge population levelling on our server - partly driven by the arrival of the xp buff, but also a significant population starting for wrath or switching from completely unbalanced PvP servers. Maybe 6 months into the expansion the buff could return for levelling alts and late arrivals. With the buff it is fastest to level by quests alone. Despite this, for the first time since Vanilla, there are lots of groups forming to do low level instances via looking for group. This just did not happen prior to the boosting nerfs - and a lot of people got high level guild mates to run their alts through levelling instances.

At the moment it is like the cure is worse than the disease. I hope Blizzard has the competence to fix these changes so they work
    pretty much this. im on pagle on alliance side. its one of the biggest and busiest servers for tbc classic. prior to the boost nerf i couldn't get a dungeon group at low level at all. every dungeon was considered a boost dungeon at one point or another and so no one ran them in groups when it was faster to get pulled thru 5 to 10 times for under 100 gold.
    and another thing i like is now i can see what's going on in lfg chat and trade chat again. last week all you saw was boost and gdkp group advert spam. now people are talking and making groups again.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Acquiring 5 or so dungeon quests while out there soloing, and then going to the dungeon to knock them all out 1 time, is faster. Plus, even if the dungeon is not as fast, many ppl prefer doing one every now and then as a change of pace, to try for a piece of gear, or for a specific reward from the dungeon quest.
    Do they? If that was the case, why are there no low level dungeon groups (allegedly).

People don't want to level, they want to get to max asap.

Do they? If that was the case, why are there no low level dungeon groups (allegedly).

People don't want to level, they want to get to max asap.
    Because they are being boosted. Thats the point lol.

Gathering the quests takes time, but you'd grab them while questing anyway. But they aren't questing, cause they are being boosted.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    "Mage boosting is out of control, FIX THIS NOW BLIZZARD OR WE ALL QUIT!"

"Fixes broke everything, WHY CAN'T BLIZZARD JUST LEAVE THINGS BE?!"

You just can't win.
    I didn't give a shit about mage boosting as this change doesn't affect me, why mage boost when you can pay Blizzard for a boost and play only 1 char ! But yeah it's just dumb that they decide to mess with something for the "good of the game" which is maybe noble from an idealistic point of view but all they have achieved is to damn near break the game in so many ways.

Gathering the quests takes time, but you'd grab them while questing anyway. But they aren't questing, cause they are being boosted.

And this is true, players choose the easy path and they get boosted, that's why nobody is doing low level dungeons. You remove the boost you will remove a lot of levellers but it'd still probably work out more people doing low level dungeons, at least while this 50% XP buff is up.

I'm actually levelling my first alt on Gehennas right now, currently in Barrens.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2022-07-28 at 11:56 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    "Mage boosting is out of control, FIX THIS NOW BLIZZARD OR WE ALL QUIT!"

"Fixes broke everything, WHY CAN'T BLIZZARD JUST LEAVE THINGS BE?!"

You just can't win.
    I have this crazy idea on how to "win": don't break other things in the process of fixing other issues.

But yeah, Blizzard is in full panic mode to get Wotlk out in Q3 (launch date just happens to be within the last week of that quarter), despite the fact that the team seems to be really struggling to get shit done.

Wotlk Beta is still quite bugged.
    Absolute miscommunication (when the XP buff would arrive, 0 warning that arrival of the buff would also nuke boosting).
    Leaked launch date.

Not surprising that a change that was never on the PTR and implemented with no forewarning of what it actually entails causes major issues, possibly because the team itself doesn't have a clear overview of what they actually did.

Yeah, so why would they do dungeons which is slower than questing if boosting isn't an option?

Anyway, boosting is largely dead until Outland now anyway, so I guess we'll see if there is such a deluge of dungeon groups.

Yeah, so why would they do dungeons which is slower than questing if boosting isn't an option?

Anyway, boosting is largely dead until Outland now anyway, so I guess we'll see if there is such a deluge of dungeon groups.
    Because dungeon with 5 dungeon quests that u k ok out in 1 go is faster than soloing. Or the other reasons I said like wanting a quick change of pace, wanting an item drop, or wanted a specific dungeon quest reward. Plus even if its faster, some players hate questing and would rather dungeon grind.

And you can see more dungeon groups right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    im good with the boosting fixes. but they need to make the game playable for non boosters. and i also dislike gdkps. makes it hard to raid when all teh raids charge gold for gear. and a lot of it too.
    I've been raiding 2-4 times a week since Classic started and I haven't paid a single copper for loot.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Its worrisome for WOTLK because if they implemented the same "Fixes" in leveling dungeons... yeah
    Which is why it's a good thing they did it now. Could probably have tested it internally a bit better

- - - Updated - - -

I dont get why people act as if you cant run around soloing just keeping an eye on LFG and jump in when there's a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    Which is why it's a good thing they did it now. Could probably have tested it internally a bit better

- - - Updated - - -

I dont get why people act as if you cant run around soloing just keeping an eye on LFG and jump in when there's a chance.
    I know that's what I do lol. Especially if im out of a good concentration of quests and know that I'm 1 lvl away from a good zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I've been raiding 2-4 times a week since Classic started and I haven't paid a single copper for loot.
    A rather odd argument, the prevalence of GDKP's has massively increased since TBC launched.

Matter of fact is, GDKP has become on larger servers (such as Gehennas) the de facto loot system for pugs, soft reserve pugs do still exist, but they get outnumbered, especially in SWP, which makes it very difficult to find a non GDKP group.
    So, if you don't want to abide by a fixed guild schedule or just plainly play some alts (because not every guild has an alt raid, let alone multiple ones), GDKP's have become a huge elephant in the room.

If you don't believe me, join the Gehennas Discord and check out the LFG channel for SWP, it's full of GDKP's (and trade chat doesn't look any better).

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    A rather odd argument, the prevalence of GDKP's has massively increased since TBC launched.

Matter of fact is, GDKP has become on larger servers (such as Gehennas) the de facto loot system for pugs, soft reserve pugs do still exist, but they get outnumbered, especially in SWP, which makes it very difficult to find a non GDKP group.
    So, if you don't want to abide by a fixed guild schedule or just plainly play some alts (because not every guild has an alt raid, let alone multiple ones), GDKP's have become a huge elephant in the room.

If you don't believe me, join the Gehennas Discord and check out the LFG channel for SWP, it's full of GDKP's (and trade chat doesn't look any better).
    But why is this a problem, people would rather have a way to influence what loot they can obtain instead of rolling. What guild do you know of use a /roll system over a GDKP or loot council system?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    what server are you on? pagle is all gdkp these days and id gladly transfer to a server that isnt busted as shit

- - - Updated - - -

But why is this a problem, people would rather have a way to influence what loot they can obtain instead of rolling. What guild do you know of use a /roll system over a GDKP or loot council system?
    my guild is just open roll MS OS when we get enough people on to run a raid. so theres one at least.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

But why is this a problem, people would rather have a way to influence what loot they can obtain instead of rolling.
    Whether it's considered a problem or not is secondary.
    My point is: On large servers, GDKP runs are very difficult to avoid because they became the dominant loot system.

Arguing that an individual did not pay for an item in over four years implies that GDKP are a fringe phenomenon, which i question because i don't think that Gehennas EU is the exception on that front and it looks similiar on any large server.
    What guild do you know of use a /roll system over a GDKP or loot council system?
    Not sure what guilds or they distribute loot has to do with it, but i will say that i would be surprised to learn that the majority of guilds are using GDKP to distribute loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    And f*ck them, its good blizzard took action on this stance. Next up they need to ban GDKP - There are now more boosting in classic wow than on gut damn retail I bet. Its toxic and no boosting should be in classic wow.
    Why? I love GDKP runs. I bring my geared alts to them as a carrier and make tons from those runs. Even my Alt's alts have epic flight due to those.

Because most if not all of the buyers in those runs do it with bought gold. So you either farm for days, or pay money if you want gear.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Why? I love GDKP runs. I bring my geared alts to them as a carrier and make tons from those runs. Even my Alt's alts have epic flight due to those.
    your gdkp's are being funded by people that are buying gold from chinese sellers. of course they'll never admit it because they don't want to get banned, and entire gdkp groups have been banned for accepting gold gained from RMT/chinese sellers.

you're part of the problem

edit: I guess I wouldn't have as much of a problem if GDKP leaders didnt enforce minumum bids and the mindset of gdkp is there only to make money. I've seen people complaining from getting kicked from GDKP for not bidding enough gold, such as a mage only having won 1 item for minimum bid. Second piece they wanted dropped almost at the end. Leader or carriers were getting pissed and wanted more gold so a warrior bid 3 times the minimum on a mage/spellcaster piece and the mage didn't want to pay that much, so they got kicked.

it's this mindset that turns me off from gdkp; huge minimum bid prices and being pressured to bid more because people in raid want to make money.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2022-07-29 at 05:43 PM.