Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nask View Post
    So "forcing" male characters good, female bad. Can you be anymore obvious of your intentions?
    Can you?

I never said that, I said the opposite.

There should be option for ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Can you?

That weakens the writing.

Rockstar's last main character was Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2.

If you just choose his sex at the start of the game in character creation I doubt he would have been half the character he ended up being because they could focus the story telling around him.

Every single GTA game has had a male lead character so its not that crazy 50% of the population finally get a female lead character.

It depends on how well its written and lately their characters have been strong so I dont see the point in getting a huff when we've seen nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a refreshing to see a female lead, but the writing has to be on point. If we get "stronk female who don't need no man" and gets labeled as a Mary Sue, I'm personally gonna call it badly written. We need, like previous GTA or RDR titles, well written, vulnerable characters who develop as the game progresses.

This is why I think that San Andreas was the best written Rockstar game, a black dude with family problems living in a gangster neighbourhood and a near certain early grave tries to make something of himself to get out of the ghetto.

Can you?

So there should be option only now after how many games forced male characters? Why now? Have you complained about the previous GTA games forcing male characters?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So there should be option only now after how many games forced male characters? Why now? Have you complained about the previous GTA games forcing male characters?
    I actually always found it odd, yes. Because I knew girls who wish they could have a female character instead.

So now, finally after so long they do it. But then they do the same mistake again, just with female sex instead (I mean, as far as we know). Do not force one or the other, my point is, allow a choice.
    They´ve got lots of male and female players so why stick to one sex as the main character?

GTA has the cool thing that changing the main character sex or racial profile is no issue, because the series are not really connected from one to the other so nothing odd about it.

You cannot argue that there should be no choice because there was no choice in the past... that is what progresing forward is all about... You can´t use the eye for an eye, that´s just plain irrational.
    Last edited by shise; 2022-08-12 at 08:44 AM.

The GTA games are not connected no but they are their own self contained story, where yes, race and sex matters.

You bold the fact they are making the same mistake by not making characters uni sex but as said earlier it weakens the writings that you didnt address.

SOME games have pulled it off, but its largely down to said protagonist being a chess piece in a bigger threat like mass effect or something where Commander Shepard is the same shit as Commander Jane. But neither of those characters are as strong as Arthur Morgan so again I dont agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I like humor! I don't like low effort humor playing to the lowest common denominator, it's generally not funny. The, "Oh no! Protagonist discovers that the chick giving them a lapdance IS A DUDE WITH A DICK HOLY SHIT HAHA IT'S SO FUNNY!" joke wasn't really funny to begin with, much less when the 50th time. I'm much more into social critique and commentary, mostly punching up. Punching down isn't funny, it's lazy.
    Exactly this, also im willing to wager that people throwing the word "woke" in this thread and others are people that generally never have been the buttend of the punching down that have occurred in the GTA seeries before!

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of wish I was only the internet back when San Andres came out. Missed out on a lot of people crying about nothing.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm neverous about this game. I don't think it will be the same GTA.

GTA is satirical, which means characters say and do things that a meant to be uncomfortable to poke fun at how absurd aspects of society/people are. I feel like since GTA V came out a lot of people forgot about how satire works. The best thing about GTA is that it was smart satire, not too over the top, not dry, it felt believable in the world's they created why relating back to the real world. It was inclusive on all (well most because it could have been better) fronts, from the jokes to representation. It was good.

Now that Rockstar is massive all about metrics. It's 2022 and every opinions is screamed at on social media. You can't say the sky is blue without someone complaining on the internet. I anxious that they are going to take a very vanilla and dry approach to the game. I can think of several GTA V characters who might be rewritten if the game came out today to avoid confrontation - Lamar and Trevor off the top of my head without having played through the story in a long time.

IDK I just feel like they are going to water down the SP experience a lot, especially realizing how much money they can make with MP where they don't have to worry about a narrative.

If you think "Rockstar is going woke" is the theme, you're missing the entire plot and probably fully understand the writing of the old games. Being extremely cautious is not "woke" and being "edgy" just to be "edgy" was the downfall of Saints Row.
    I mean i sure as fuck hope its the same as GTA5 cause you know that game is 10 years old man! But im not in the least worried about what people cry about "this is gonna be such bad WOKE shit" schtick some people go on about. If they need to use marginalised groups as a punchingbag then i would argue they need pbetter people cause that aint good writing.

I actually liked the story with Michael and Trevor and Franklin but i can also see the sometimes over the top sterotypical portays of certain groups to be cringe af. And they dint have to be that. But as you said before it was done more then 10 years ago and it was more accepted back then. But now times has changed and they are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Aren't most successful "uncensored" comedians left?
    @Tech614 helped me articulate my opinion on the matter. We can get the same GTA just without being straight up derogatory.

"Punching down" isn't about being politically correct, it's about not making fun of people/things just because they exist. It's mocking a person or thing because you feel like they are beneath you. Rockstar would be "punching down" if they used their new protagonist to make a bunch of "women are bad drivers" and "women be shopping" jokes.

They won't have characters that are made fun of for say, just being gay, xyz race, whatever.

Stuff like that
    Exactlu that is what i expect this release to be and im 100% sure Rockstar will kill it as they always does. i have no worries whatsoever regarding the relaese of the game. Providing the leak is correct.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you?

why is it a deal breaker when you are forced to play a women but not when you are forced to play a man?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    I mean i sure as fuck hope its the same as GTA5 cause you know that game is 10 years old man! But im not in the least worried about what people cry about "this is gonna be such bad WOKE shit" schtick some people go on about. If they need to use marginalised groups as a punchingbag then i would argue they need pbetter people cause that aint good writing.

I actually liked the story with Michael and Trevor and Franklin but i can also see the sometimes over the top sterotypical portays of certain groups to be cringe af. And they dint have to be that. But as you said before it was done more then 10 years ago and it was more accepted back then. But now times has changed and they are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactlu that is what i expect this release to be and im 100% sure Rockstar will kill it as they always does. i have no worries whatsoever regarding the relaese of the game. Providing the leak is correct.
    Which doesn't make sense. The characters in gta are horrible people if you change that suddenly stuff like the torture scene is even worse and more disconnecting. You can't be a good considerate person and happily gun down hundreds of people canonically it just doesn't work. You need to be broken inside to do that shit. The difference in gta that makes it semi ok is that they go after everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    They always did that though. Look as San Andreas, it made fun of black and latino gang culture, of the whole rap/hip-hop scene and also on the police, the military, californian white hipster culture, white Hillbillys and the mob.
    It made fun of everyone, that was good writing. Having "protected groups" that you are not allowed to show as anything else as shining beacons of light, that aint good writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    They always did that though. Look as San Andreas, it made fun of black and latino gang culture, of the whole rap/hip-hop scene and also on the police, the military, californian white hipster culture, white Hillbillys and the mob.
    It made fun of everyone, that was good writing. Having "protected groups" that you are not allowed to show as anything else as shining beacons of light, that aint good writing.
    I wouldn't call any of those groups marginalized.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I wouldn't call any of those groups marginalized.
    I thought black/latino gangbangers would be seen as marginalized. What would you call marginalized?
    In Ballad of Gay Tony they made a parody of gay people. Are they marginalized enough?

So I assume Bruno must be one of your favorite comedies of all time? Especially the like 30 seconds of a dick helicoptering around in the middle of the movie? And that Divine's films are your favorites?

Literally not, and I'm still deeply confused where y'all get this stuff.
    This isn't a gamergate thread, folks. Please stay on topic and try to avoid forbidden topics.
    Pot, kettle, etc.

So "forcing" male characters good, female bad. Can you be anymore obvious of your intentions?
    Its not forcing when the majority of the playerbase is male. Good luck getting good female character writing or really anything.

It's always some super ridiculously forced crap, the issue is people complained and companies started pandering and now you have something even worse.

Just look at TLOU 2. That was some game of thrones last season quality writing. "Good girl kill dog. Bad girl kill dog. Now story is deep. Rinse and repeat with 6 more topics. Not to mention how unrealistic the pandering made the game.

Anyways TLR

You won't get good characters that break the norm because they will just pander to the dummies of twitter and you'll get shallow fan fic levels of writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    White men.
    Its so awesome I love it.

See as a white male when I have a problem I don't get to blame anyone else but myself.

SO then I make a change to fix it.

You on the other hand blame mcdonalds cause you got fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Drench View Post
    Its not forcing when the majority of the playerbase is male. Good luck getting good female character writing or really anything.

It's always some super ridiculously forced crap, the issue is people complained and companies started pandering and now you have something even worse.

Just look at TLOU 2. That was some game of thrones last season quality writing. "Good girl kill dog. Bad girl kill dog. Now story is deep. Rinse and repeat with 6 more topics. Not to mention how unrealistic the pandering made the game.

Anyways TLR

You won't get good characters that break the norm because they will just pander to the dummies of twitter and you'll get shallow fan fic levels of writing.
    It is forcing. If you have no choice, you are "forced" into it. It's just that the majority of gamers are/were male and have no qualms about playing men for the most part, myself included.
    There have been buttloads of games with female leads that no one complains about and cotninue to release. It's not so much about male/female it's more about good/shit writing and cherry picking those examples. Is anyone complaining about NieR Automata, Control, Tomb Raider, Tales of Berseria, A Hat in Time, Beyond Good and Evil or Mirrors Edge for having women specifically?
    The games that were written by shit authors that want to push an agenda at all costs obviously stay more in mind than the one that people genuinely enjoyed and someone just had an idea for a good character.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I thought black/latino gangbangers would be seen as marginalized. What would you call marginalized?
    In Ballad of Gay Tony they made a parody of gay people. Are they marginalized enough?
    Making fun of people for something innate, e.g. skin colour or sexual orientation, groups of people who have been wrongfully persecuted. Something along those lines.

I never played any of the DLC for GTA 4, so I don't know exactly what it's about.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    So is every game that has a female main character considered "woke" now? So Metroid, Tomb Raider, RE, and other games with female leads are "woke?"

Wtf is this nonsense?
    Welcome to the modern world...where everything that doesn't have a straight white male protagonist is "woke" these days. Clowns toss around the word woke for everything these days it has no meaning anymore, well I take that back...these days woke means "I'm a insecure little munchkin who can't handle anything that isn't just ANOTHER straight white male"

You could have made it less obvious that you are an incel shitlord. So now, having female lead in a game is forcing, it also automatically will have bad writing? And the game will be shit?

Male normal, female abnormal? Are women perhaps frightening to you? Do you fear them? or something?
    Last edited by Nask; 2022-08-16 at 02:13 PM.