Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    But with every expansion we get zones full of NPCs with new models and voice overs? You want them to go back to irrelevant zones and give random guards and peasants facelifts and voicelifts? And this is supposed to bring players back? Sorry but that's just ridiculous.

I have the same with RPG games that have the NPC's mumble or hum their text. It's more immersive than actors.

Likewise, the cut-scenes don't do anything for me most of the time. I get that certain events benefit, like having a giant kraken attack Boralus helps when a camera gives a wide aerial shot. But those don't need to last more than a few seconds, just to prevent the player from facing the wrong way and missing the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    It's easy to think that we may not identify with the game if we have no friends in it anymore or if we're abstractly "bored" of it but that may be inaccurate or at least too surface level.
    I believe most of us identified with the game purely for its art too; meaning the voice acting and manerism and the general nature of its NPCs as well may play a big role; that may not be relevant anymore.

So if the devs want to strengthen the game: they may want to refresh the art design around the NPCs.

Doesn't "King's honor friend" and "Zug zug" get old after a point?
    Zug zug

/10
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

So if the devs want to strengthen the game.
    the only reason why I played WoW back in 04 was because I was told it was something more 'up my alley' as a youth when picking out a game to play at the store but as I played the game I found myself often bored while playing it. I tried to level through the game but I just found the quests and lore I read through up to 'max' as a human rogue utterly boring. so I tried out Night Elves and I'll admit that I did find the lore more interesting but once you left the tree the game just got more and more boring, thus I finally quit. I also found the combat pretty stiff and restrictive and I admittedly was one of those people back in the day that called the game a "turn based combat'' game which I still feel is true today in my honest opinion because the amount of Cooldowns makes it feel like you are playing one of those types of games, a fast paced one though. I even tried to return in Burning Crusade but nothing really changed and thus I stopped caring about the games quality and just played through it despite hating it because my friends at the time were peer pressuring me to play the game since I was the only one that was the 'jack of all trades' in the raid group.

yes the game has gotten better lore over the years but it also declined in the quality of the lore past legion. the same can be said for the quests which have declined past legion. the combat is faster but I still don't enjoy it that much as I still feel restricted while playing it. I got other issues with the game but for me if WoW wants to strengthen the game then it needs to basically go back to legion for storytelling where the focus was your class and what faction you are truly loyal too and as for quests I truly think they need to stop making them just chores to check off because questing is in my opinion like 80% of the content in the game which without it the players will only have a few things to do in game.

as for what I play right now well I'll be honest here:
    I don't really see myself as dedicated to any mmorpg as they all just kinda copied off of WoW instead of letting the development team get creative for there mmorpg. Blizzard seems to be trying to do this with the latest expansion but it feels to little too late and ffxiv just feels like it's a horse with crutches that goes the safest route.

WoW (along with other mmos) need to go back to the drawing board and start treating there online service games with more focus on them being worlds people live there lives through rather then just being a bank for them to earn profits from like imho Jagex does.

that was and is my honest opinion about all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If they keep adding more skill based systems in the game it would create more fun moments within the reward loops.

I think they should add a new profession called hunting where you actually have to hunt rare creatures and potentially even trap them. It would yield stuff for multiple professions from the animals once they've been harvested properly. Something like that would be really fun.

You would just give all hunters a passive bonus to this profession as a class passive.
    People would just whine that they're copying their own content that hunters kinda similarly do. Like every time they add something and some goes "REEEE this is just a knockoff of <insert thing from D3> here!!!"
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

3+ Year Old Account
    That's a strawman argument. Nobody told you for devs to develop an unhealthy obsession with updating the game no matter what because that's bad design.

But the fact of the matter is: something that connected with people 20 years ago may not be up to date with how people communicate now to begin with.

You may claim "I communicate with it" but I'm suggesting "you can communicate with movies from the 1950s too but they're not as up to date".
    The question is, when does something go from being "up to date" to no longer "up to date"? "Regularly-scheduled overhauls", with the context of that post, could mean anything from once every expansion (which would be, frankly, ridiculous) to once every several years, which seems to be more in the realm of what's being discussed here.

I think a potential comparison point would be Pokemon, when it shifted from the DS era to the 3DS era, between going from sprite art to 3D models, as well as updating the cries of the pre-3DS pokemon. Generally speaking, spritework has been out of fashion for AAA titles for a long time, so Game Freak ended up being a bit late to the party as far as swapping from 2D to 3D went. While the shift was likely ultimately necessary for the franchise going forward, it's a fairly common criticism that a lot of the NPCs/Pokemon lost a fair bit of "soul" in the shift. Are said criticisms based upon purely nostalgia, as you potentially view WoW's NPC voice acting to be, or was there a certain element of timelessness that 2D art simply had? The problem is, in both cases, it's hard to truly scrape a definitive answer in both cases.

Plus, if we're talking from a purely technical artistic standpoint, there's nothing really wrong with the VAing in the game. It's not like older games where you get bitcrushed voice clips, and, at most, you could make a reasonable argument that the limited palette of character emotes outside of cutscenes don't mesh well with the dialog itself. But that feels like borderline splitting hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    People would just whine that they're copying their own content that hunters kinda similarly do. Like every time they add something and some goes "REEEE this is just a knockoff of <insert thing from D3> here!!!"
    People don't know what they want lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    People don't know what they want lol.
    That's not true so much as it is that the so-called community doesn't exist. There's no monolithic community and anyone who claims to speak for them is speaking from their rear end. The reality is the playerbase is made of dozens of micro-communities who all want different, sometimes completely opposite, things. Take the flying and no flying crowds for a visible example. No matter what is done someone is going to be mad and complain and try to make it sound like Blizzard isn't listening to ANYONE because they're not designing around THEM. That's my annoyance with all the QQ.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.