Poll: Best Dungeons have...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    For me it's tossup between Classic & Cata.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The atmosphere of the classic dungeons is really good, but there's nothing really remotely challenging about them for me to give them the nod. While I hated MoP dungeons, some of my favorite dungeons were the revamped Classic ones (Scholo and both SM dungeons).

I really liked the WoD and Cataclysm dungeons. They have great locations and themes, with actual challenge when done at appropriate levels. I'd give a nod to WoTLK as well, but it just missed the tuning aspect for me to really care about them.

Fairly certain they said when doing M+ in the future that the cut off would be MoP dungeons, which is sort of a shame. With some cherry picking a lot of the Cataclysm and WoTLK dungeons would be great additions as well.

Cata had the best dungeons from a difficulty perspective; It was just right and I really enjoyed how random strangers were able to overcome the obstacles.
    I still remember joining a Grim Batol group were we wiped a few times in the first pack of trash group because it was not the usual WOTLK trash group. Soon after we were all ccing and interrupting the trash groups to get by; Not something I was accustomed of doing after playing though WOTLK.
    Last edited by CrittenMitten; 2022-08-18 at 03:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I enjoyed WoD dungeons the best. The rest are probably Legon>BfA>ShL>The rest
    Here is something to believe in!

Cata pre nerf.

On that note, I just did a few +15 Legion ones (M+ week once in half a year lol) and it's nice when people don't care about finishing the dungeon in time, with all the rating
    and stuff. They just give it a shot and don't quit after 2 wipes. We had a +15 EoA that took us x2 the time, 67 deaths but people still stayed.

That's what I miss about dungeons, much less toxic that way yet still difficult.

TBC for me.

The best time was stepping in to Heroic dungeons for the first time with our group of 5 friends. For us casuals it was quite a step up, where f*ck!ng up a pull was a wipe. They were quite a challenge for us, but we cleared all of the them and geared up. It was also a good introduction to harder content, as when LK dropped most of us started to raid in a guild on the server after that... good times...

Cataclysm pre-nerf. In a way, the playerbase was also somewhat weaker in skill, so the dungeons felt difficult, but fun!

Personal highlight is Zul'gurub. I loved that dungeon to bits.

Cataclysm would be followed by Legion, I guess, purely for Mythic+. I hated WoD's dungeons, but there's a personal bias there so I'm ignoring it entirely.

Interesting that the general consensus in the WoW community seems to be that Cataclysm sucked, yet here it sits at the top of this poll. Personally, I loved Cata for the most part. I actually really liked WoD too, until I ran out of things to do. For my favorite dungeons, it's a toss-up between Cata, Legion, and WoD for me. I like WotLK too except they are braindead easy.

By the way, anyone who chooses MoP for this is clinically insane. Maybe they got ooked in the dooker too many times.

Depends on what's your flavor. Hardly anyone can go wrong with the answer.

BFA dungeons used to be my poison, but places like Tazzavesh, Plaguefall, and ultimate winner Spires of Ascension making Shadowlands my favorite dungeon pool. For example running dungeons like Theater of Pain as necro resto druid, swarm makes your dopamine cells to pop. And that's not even counting gameplay itself.

Colors/sounds/graphics and various design combinations makes you to think that these guys definitely going places. Giving credit to people who deserve it is naturally easy.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-08-18 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    MoP, while surely the best expansion in many categories, it was by far the worst dungeons-wise, followed by TBC and SL.

I'd say Legion on the other hand had the best dungeons. Wotlk, Cata, Wod and BfA are roughly the same imo.
    IMO BfA's dungeons were also really cool, I think that many people just hate them because of M+ (applies partially to Legion as well and ofc SL).

It's hard to compare Classic dungeons IMO as they were just too different than what the expansions offered and how the game even played back then. But overall I really had a lot of fun doing them in Classic and they were just so unique. Dungeons like BFD, Dire Maul, Stratholme etc. with all their quests and quirks will just never be a thing again.
    This is exactly my opinion. The dungeon game has been more or less strong since WOD. There are some one offs like the argus dungeon that was very low effort but overall they've been good bc it's content that feeds into their mainstay these days, m+.

SL dungeons... Controversially I don't think they're bad. I think it's more because we're at the end of them now with no break and the aesthetics of sl are reminders of it's failings. I feel strongly that in a few years running them as m+ or time walking people will feel a little different.

Wod weirdly has good dungeons. I standby that it's launch content was good besides it's first raid. I enjoy them on m+ barring discussion about tuning which is independent of how they were meant to be experienced (they weren't designed with progressively harder m tiers or affixes) and aesthetically they're strong.

Cata had good ones but many of the mechanics just didn't feel polished enough yet, or were way too ambiguous. I think of the growth phase at the end of throne of the tides (which is otherwise aesthetically in my top five favorite dungeons).

Anyone that said classic or tbc...I don't think I'll ever be able to understand your rubric lol. No mechanics, tbc had the same dungeon 3-4 times over with different mobs. Idk man.
    Last edited by Magistrate; 2022-08-18 at 02:32 PM.

Cata for me also. The difficulty, the fun, no timer and amazing style and graphics. Till this day I sometimes revisit Halls of Origination just to look at the architecture.

Best difficulty: Cata pre nerfs
    Best atmosphere: Vanilla (Mop is close 2nd)
    Best bosses: Hard to say, maybe Legion
    Where I've had most fun: Vanilla 1st, Cata 2nd, Legion 3rd.

So I guess Vanilla wins it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Cata hands down. It separated the wheat from the chaff pre nerf. Everyone couldnt just facetank mechanics like they do now.
    And that lasted for a whole 5 or 6 weeks before Blizz caved to the wrathbabies and nerfed everything back to AoE faceroll difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbleem View Post
    Interesting that the general consensus in the WoW community seems to be that Cataclysm sucked, yet here it sits at the top of this poll.
    Even the worst expansion (WoD) will have some great content (raids). Cata had great dungeons and two solid tiers of raiding. Getting the dungeon meta achievement early on in Cata was among the best experiences I had in WoW (Going South be damned)

Cata pre-nerf were the best I think
    TBC a good second
    Followed by Wotlk

Legion was okay, but didn't capture me as much as cata & tbc. MoP I didn't like that much, Mantid Siege and brewery broke emersion for me. BfA too linair, arcade and so was WoD and Shadowlands.

Classic were a whole different ballgame, with dungeons (attunement (keys) finding a group, travelling to the dungeon, running the dungeon, doing post content together) being whole afternoon efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Even the worst expansion (WoD) will have some great content (raids). Cata had great dungeons and two solid tiers of raiding. Getting the dungeon meta achievement early on in Cata was among the best experiences I had in WoW (Going South be damned)
    Rating WoD below BfA is a travesty. I'd personally put WoD above BfA and probably Shadowlands. The only problem with WoD was content drought. The content that existed was good.

Rating WoD below BfA is a travesty. I'd personally put WoD above BfA and probably Shadowlands. The only problem with WoD was content drought. The content that existed was good.
    Yes the content that existed was good but there was nowhere near enough of it. I still judge an expansion on what it can provide for the period that it is out. Sure if WoD had only been out for one year with a cadence like Legion, with the 6.1 improvement on Garrison from the start, BRF released 11 weeks after Highmaul, Tanaan 11 weeks after that and HFC 11 weeks after Tanaan then sure, WoD might be out there with Legion and MoP even. But it lasted TWICE as long.

5+ Year Old Account
    Legion, easily.

The only problem with WoD was content drought. The content that existed was good.
    yes, but there was almost none, if you dont consider that a HUUUUGE problem i dont know what to say... hell SL, which was done amidst pandemic and other shit including the sex scandal and whatnot had more content than wod... and hell, BETTER, ZM is bigger better hellfire from wod basicaly
    as for BFA, literaly nazjatar patch or even nzoth patcha had pretty much the same quality and MORE CONTENT than whole of wod (after expansion release ofc) so it should obviously be higher rated...

selfie-camera as patch feature, and pretty much ONLY feature of the MAJOR patch, is there need to say more?

as for dungeons, WOD had few good dungeons, but thats about it, pretty much only train had something "new", something interesting, others were the same old, though some were aestheticaly great, but pretty much dead after first week (until heirloom trinkets)
    in BFA, on top of m+ so dungeons being relevant much more, some had amazing atmospehere and at least some basic cool mechanics (doors in waycrest, making you alter your route), and then ofc mechagon was amazing, so many cool bosses and the place looked awesome
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-08-21 at 07:44 AM.