Thread: Shower Thoughts

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The only reason we're talking horses here is because you keep insisting to bring them on where they don't apply.

    Tauren and draenei are not horses, despite having hooves.
    And what do you know about the way hooves work for Tauren and Draenei that you did not infer from how hooves work for horses (or other earth animals)?
    Last edited by Biomega; 2022-08-05 at 09:22 PM.

  2. #42
    Titan Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    11,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    No arguments there, but it'd be a completely superfluous and barely noticeable customization option on a character. Adding a tiny mole to someone's face right below the hairline would be easier to spot than a slight sliver of dark grey on the bottom of their hoof.
    Completely true, and even more interesting customization option than just Horseshoes.

  3. #43
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    And what do you know about the way hooves work for Tauren and Draenei that you did not infer from how hooves work for horses (or other earth animals)?
    The simple fact anything grinding against anything causes wear and damage to one or both of the items.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    No arguments there, but it'd be a completely superfluous and barely noticeable customization option on a character. Adding a tiny mole to someone's face right below the hairline would be easier to spot than a slight sliver of dark grey on the bottom of their hoof.
    You're saying a singular "tiny mole just below the hairline" would be more noticeable than this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You're saying a singular "tiny mole just below the hairline" would be more noticeable than this?
    <snip>
    Yes.

    Do you know how I know? Because most people, even in this thread, didn't even notice it and it's a garishly colored and contrasting set.

    The simple fact anything grinding against anything causes wear and damage to one or both of the items.
    And yet, through some strange miracle, millions upon millions of different species have managed to evolve without needing shoes. Including modern day humans who still have people who refuse to wear them, like the aforementioned tribe in Zimbabwe.

    As for tauren in particular, how do you think they got all those massive muscles of theirs? Hint, they evolved with them to carry heavy loads and perform other strenuous activities... all without needing to wear shoes. Or wait, are you going to try to argue that they only become stupidly strong after they discovered blacksmithing?
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; 2022-08-05 at 11:22 PM.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The simple fact anything grinding against anything causes wear and damage to one or both of the items.
    You do know that hooves account for this, right? They're like fingernails - they keep on growing precisely to work against wear and damage.

    And by the way: abrasive wear is NOT why animals are shoed. They're shoed primarily to prevent injuries like splitting and tearing which result from the high stresses associated with very heavy loads and very long periods of high exertion. Injuries which do NOT normally occur under regular wear, which is also why animals who aren't used that way often go unshoed even in contemporary domestication, which involves walking on paved roads etc.

    Again you show that you don't know what you're talking about, you're just wildly conjecturing your butt off.

  6. #46
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You do know that hooves account for this, right? They're like fingernails - they keep on growing precisely to work against wear and damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Because you have no knowledge about the specific mechanics of Tauren or Draenei physiology
    So you argue against me "because I have no knowledge about the specific mechanics of tauren or draenei physiology", but you can make statements of fact regarding their physiology? That's a fallacy. "Rules for thee but not for me."

    And by the way: abrasive wear is NOT why animals are shoed.
    I.
    Don't.
    Care.
    About.
    Animals.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Yes.
    Okay, then you're wrong.

    Do you know how I know? Because most people, even in this thread, didn't even notice it and it's a garishly colored and contrasting set
    You contradict yourself. If it's "garishly colored and contrasting", then it is easy to see. That's the whole point of "contrasting". You can see something better when it contrast with the colors surrounding it. So basically you admit to making shit up, and using your own opinion as facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So you argue against me "because I have no knowledge about the specific mechanics of tauren or draenei physiology", but you can make statements of fact regarding their physiology? That's a fallacy. "Rules for thee but not for me."
    Wrong.

    I'm saying I make references to real-world hooves because that's all we have to go by if we don't want to just speculate our asses off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I.
    Don't.
    Care.
    About.
    Animals.
    QED.

    Either you make inferences based on real-world examples, or it's ALL speculation in which case "I think they need horseshoes because they're abrading against the ground" has EXACTLY THE SAME TRUTH VALUE as "I think they don't need horseshoes because abrasion against the ground isn't a problem" since both are (at that point) complete speculation.

    Which means you have no discussion because there's nothing to fall back onto other than "this is my head canon, deal with it".

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Okay, then you're wrong.

    You contradict yourself. If it's "garishly colored and contrasting", then it is easy to see. That's the whole point of "contrasting". You can see something better when it contrast with the colors surrounding it. So basically you admit to making shit up, and using your own opinion as facts.
    It's amazingly amusing how much trouble you have with basic English. The point was that despite (you may need to look that word up, apparently) being garishly colored and contrasting, it still goes unnoticed. Despite. Despite.

    Also good job at ignoring the other comments. But that seems to be a common theme for people who have no real argument and just want to double down on demonstrating the Dunning Kruger Effect in all its glory.

  9. #49
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    It's amazingly amusing how much trouble you have with basic English. The point was that despite (you may need to look that word up, apparently) being garishly colored and contrasting, it still goes unnoticed. Despite. Despite.
    Then perhaps you should actually use english and correctly construct your phrases next time?

    Also good job at ignoring the other comments.
    Because they're nonsensical. It doesn't matter that "millions upon millions of different species evolved without needing shoes". Because those "millions and millions" are not sentient species.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Wrong.

    I'm saying I make references to real-world hooves because that's all we have to go by if we don't want to just speculate our asses off.
    You are still making statements about the tauren/draenei physiology. They're not horses.

    Either you make inferences based on real-world examples, or it's ALL speculation in which case "I think they need horseshoes because they're abrading against the ground" has EXACTLY THE SAME TRUTH VALUE as "I think they don't need horseshoes because abrasion against the ground isn't a problem" since both are (at that point) complete speculation.
    Except your claim doesn't hold up to scrutiny because it's a fact because wear and tear is a thing, and grinding constantly against rough terrain, rough rocks, stone, gravel, etc, would wear on the hooves.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2022-08-06 at 01:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  10. #50
    Titan Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    11,003
    Shower thought: Where are these gigantic Kaiju-sized animals that supplied the bones around Orgrimmar.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except your claim doesn't hold up to scrutiny because it's a fact because wear and tear is a thing, and grinding constantly against rough terrain, rough rocks, stone, gravel, etc, would wear on the hooves.
    And I claim that their hooves grow back to compensate for that.

    Which you have no way of refuting other than with "I disagree", so now we're at an impasse where we have two claims backed by nothing except speculation, if you refuse to consider RL inferences.

    So gz, I guess? You say A, I say B, and that's that.

  12. #52
    All i know is this site was FULL of threads like this, and it was awesome and we all laughed and had solid bants and it was a great time..........then.....something happened. And now everyone is offended and 99% of content is Vs content, basically a PvP forum. WoW is more a pvp game now than it ever was, its just 99% fought out in chat. Just like the various forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Nobody uses Online forums anymore.

  13. #53
    I just want a customizable cockring for my tauren rogue.

  14. #54
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    And I claim that their hooves grow back to compensate for that.

    Which you have no way of refuting other than with "I disagree", so now we're at an impasse where we have two claims backed by nothing except speculation, if you refuse to consider RL inferences.

    So gz, I guess? You say A, I say B, and that's that.
    It doesn't matter if it "grows back like nails". It still gets damaged, and worse, can get broken. Meaning it's a good idea to protect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It doesn't matter if it "grows back like nails". It still gets damaged, and worse, can get broken. Meaning it's a good idea to protect it.
    How do you know this, except by HOW IT WORKS IN THE REAL WORLD?

    And in the real world, you WOULDN'T need horseshoes to protect from wear like that.

    So either you're making inferences from RL stuff (in which case so can I, and you're proved wrong) - OR - you are making stuff up, in which case so can I and just say "nope".

    Pick either one, I'm fine to discuss on your terms.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Then perhaps you should actually use english and correctly construct your phrases next time?
    I did. Your inability to read properly is what's at fault. You're just not as clever as you seem to think you are.

    Because they're nonsensical. It doesn't matter that "millions upon millions of different species evolved without needing shoes". Because those "millions and millions" are not sentient species.
    Ah, so I guess horses don't need shoes either then? Is that what you're trying to say now? Your seem to have lost whatever point you're trying to make.

    Or are you saying that humans, being sapient (since sentient doesn't mean what you think it means as all those aforementioned species are sentient; again, nowhere near as clever or literate as you think you are), must wear shoes? Even though we, too, evolved without them. And -- yet again -- with there being god damned fucking cultures on the planet, right fucking now, who never wear shoes like the -- yet again -- aforementioned Zimbabwe tribe. (Amazing how you keep ignoring that one, but it's to be expected since you can't admit even to yourself just how fucking wrong you are on this whole topic.)

    It has to be one or the other, so...
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; 2022-08-06 at 05:12 PM.

  17. #57
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Ah, so I guess horses don't need shoes either then? Is that what you're trying to say now? Your seem to have lost whatever point you're trying to make.
    And now you're engaging in a bait-and-switch fallacy. Because those "millions upon millions of different species that evolved without needing shoes" are just animals. All your examples are bogus because the races we're talking about are not tribal like your examples. Tauren walk around on heavy armor. Heavy plate armor. Carrying huge weapons. And some even carry huge frigging totems on their backs. And those Zimbabwe dudes don't do that.

    The main purpose of wearing shoes is to reduce stress and wear on their feet. Which would also apply to the hooves.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    So either you're making inferences from RL stuff (in which case so can I, and you're proved wrong)
    Your examples fail because you're comparing the work a horse does to the work a tauren or draenei do, which is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Your examples fail because you're comparing the work a horse does to the work a tauren or draenei do, which is wrong.
    The workload has nothing to do with it.

    You don't shoe because of abrasive wear, period. That's never the issue. You show because of load wear (primarily to prevent splitting), and if that's not an issue you just don't shoe at all. Because hooves are entirely capable of just growing back what's abraded against the ground - that's... how they work.

    That's why domesticated animals are entirely fine walking across paved roads and whatnot without horseshoes, because them just abrading against a hard surface doesn't matter. The hooves will just grow naturally all the time anyway, and replace themselves.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Right. Then why don't you head out and go on a trail while barefoot, and tell me how it goes. Also, try going out jogging a little while barefoot, and again, tell me how it goes.

    I honestly don't know how hard it is to understand that being a soldier, or an adventurer, or someone who works with heavy loads, would put a lot of stress on their feet, or, in this case, their hooves, necessitating the use of horseshoes to avoid wear and damage to their hooves over long periods of time.
    .
    Stop being so serious, none of it matters anyway as its a fantasy game.. they are just there because they look cool or what ever. Not everything needs to be looked at with a goddamn loop. It baffles me how some compare it way to much with rl, my god.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And now you're engaging in a bait-and-switch fallacy. Because those "millions upon millions of different species that evolved without needing shoes" are just animals.
    Again, I have to bring up that old adage about a lack of fecal matter and a fictional British detective from the 1800s.

    What the hell did you think was being described? Millions of alien species or something? What's wrong with you?

    All your examples are bogus because the races we're talking about are not tribal like your examples. Tauren walk around on heavy armor. Heavy plate armor. Carrying huge weapons. And some even carry huge frigging totems on their backs. And those Zimbabwe dudes don't do that.
    Do tell me how my examples are bogus. Go on, tell me. In detail. Explain it to me. Explain how modern people who don't wear shoes yet function just fine... well, don't do that. Go on, fucking explain it to me. "Liquid water is wet." "Nuh uh, your example is bogus." Ooh, what a retort!

    And yes, tauren do walk around with heavy loads. Almost like its nothing to them because they evolved with massive musculatures tailored towards carrying massively heavy loads (like kodo hides/meat and the like, no doubt). They also developed plainstriding as well, allowing them to run massive distances at great speed with no problem whatsoever. And yet they still had hooves, and this all occurred ages and ages and ages before the idea of blacksmithing let alone horseshoes ever crossed their minds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •