Thread: Shower Thoughts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    Don't let anything in this post distract you from the fact that Game of Thrones season 8 was terrible

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    Don't let anything in this post distract you from the fact that Game of Thrones season 8 was terrible
    I'm not aware of a single soul on the face of the planet who genuinely believes otherwise. At least no one with an opinion worth listening to.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    And yet, through some strange miracle, millions upon millions of different species have managed to evolve without needing shoes. Including modern day humans who still have people who refuse to wear them, like the aforementioned tribe in Zimbabwe.
    Shoes should be viewed as a tool, like most human inventions. Our feet are pretty good at developing callouses and other defenses to allow us to move freely. Still, if we cut our foot, we can be disabled for a considerable period of time, and even potentially die from infection. Shoes greatly reduce the damage to our feet over our lifespan. With modern medicine, we absolutely could revert to a barefoot culture without much danger if we altered our infrastucture to support it.

    Horseshoes exist because many hoofed animals evolved primarly on soft ground such as plains. Their hooves are not designed to withstand the wear that cobblestone/asphault/pavement provides. By contrast, hoofed animals in rough terrain, such as goats, actively need their hooves trimmed because there isn't enough wear on soft ground.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Shoes should be viewed as a tool, like most human inventions. Our feet are pretty good at developing callouses and other defenses to allow us to move freely. Still, if we cut our foot, we can be disabled for a considerable period of time, and even potentially die from infection. Shoes greatly reduce the damage to our feet over our lifespan. With modern medicine, we absolutely could revert to a barefoot culture without much danger if we altered our infrastucture to support it.

    Horseshoes exist because many hoofed animals evolved primarly on soft ground such as plains. Their hooves are not designed to withstand the wear that cobblestone/asphault/pavement provides. By contrast, hoofed animals in rough terrain, such as goats, actively need their hooves trimmed because there isn't enough wear on soft ground.
    Yes, all of this was brought up (numerous times) earlier in the conversation.

    We're talking to someone who's in complete denial about the purpose of shoes (used as a general term, including horseshoes and all its variants). For whatever bizarre reason, they seem to think it's literally impossible for a hooved creature (or even just a normal human) to exist without shoes. Like, at all. They'll apparently die on the spot if they try to do anything without them, or whatever effed up belief they've convinced themselves will happen. That's what's being discussed, not that shoes aren't beneficial, useful, comfortable, and/or a convenience.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    I'm not aware of a single soul on the face of the planet who genuinely believes otherwise. At least no one with an opinion worth listening to.
    You've clearly never seen the guy on this site that will tell you with his last breath how amazing s8 was and if you disagree you're 100% wrong. He has the ridiculous Biden sig, I can't remember his name. XD

    I kinda wish the horseshoe guys would just start their own thread. I mean it's been days and they're still arguing about horseshoes...... We're livin in some wild times lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    All i know is this site was FULL of threads like this, and it was awesome and we all laughed and had solid bants and it was a great time..........then.....something happened. And now everyone is offended and 99% of content is Vs content, basically a PvP forum. WoW is more a pvp game now than it ever was, its just 99% fought out in chat. Just like the various forums.
    It really is a sad time for mankind. This is how people are about everything and anything now. Saw a movie you didn't like? Best rant about it on social media for the better part of a year and shit all over everyone involved or god forbid someone who liked it. A band released a new album you don't like? Better shit all over them as much as humanly possibly. Someone has a slightly differing opinion than your own? Literally Hitler. You're not allowed to enjoy something anymore, you must be enraged or offended!!!
    Last edited by SuperKarateDeathCar; 2022-08-06 at 10:34 PM.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    It really is a sad time for mankind. This is how people are about everything and anything now. Saw a movie you didn't like? Best rant about it on social media for the better part of a year and shit all over everyone involved or god forbid someone who liked it. A band released a new album you don't like? Better shit all over them as much as humanly possibly. Someone has a slightly differing opinion than your own? Literally Hitler. You're not allowed to enjoy something anymore, you must be enraged or offended!!!
    What i find REALLY confusing is review bombing, especially on platforms that require a purchase first.

    "this game is shit, i knew it would be shit, all the story sux the gameplay sux - this company hasnt released anything good in a decade, and this is no different" - Bob - pre-purchased ultra edition for $99 - 946 hours played on record, 600 since this review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Nobody uses Online forums anymore.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    What i find REALLY confusing is review bombing, especially on platforms that require a purchase first.

    "this game is shit, i knew it would be shit, all the story sux the gameplay sux - this company hasnt released anything good in a decade, and this is no different" - Bob - pre-purchased ultra edition for $99 - 946 hours played on record, 600 since this review.
    hahaha right? The review bombing thing is like the epitome of sad and people pretty much do it for everything now so reviews are basically meaningless. I remember years back there was a movie or something coming out on the same day as like a Beyonce or Taylor Swift thing or some shit and the Taylor Swift fans (or whoever) review bombed the OTHER thing to help their thing look better XD

    I wish we could see the /played for all the people on this site who are like omg this game has sucked since -expansion name here-!!!!!
    Last edited by SuperKarateDeathCar; 2022-08-06 at 10:42 PM.

  8. #68
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The workload has nothing to do with it.

    You don't shoe because of abrasive wear, period. That's never the issue. You show because of load wear (primarily to prevent splitting), and if that's not an issue you just don't shoe at all. Because hooves are entirely capable of just growing back what's abraded against the ground - that's... how they work.

    That's why domesticated animals are entirely fine walking across paved roads and whatnot without horseshoes, because them just abrading against a hard surface doesn't matter. The hooves will just grow naturally all the time anyway, and replace themselves.
    For the last time: I'm not talking about animals, domesticated or otherwise.

    I'm talking about humanoids such as tauren and draenei, who stand on two legs, who put a lot of exertion on their hooves as they fight against powerful enemies, as they do some serious heavy lifting, as they trudge or run through rough terrain, etc. All stuff that puts serious strain on the hooves and could damage them to the point of leaving them crippled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  9. #69
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    For the last time: I'm not talking about animals, domesticated or otherwise.

    I'm talking about humanoids such as tauren and draenei, who stand on two legs, who put a lot of exertion on their hooves as they fight against powerful enemies, as they do some serious heavy lifting, as they trudge or run through rough terrain, etc. All stuff that puts serious strain on the hooves and could damage them to the point of leaving them crippled.
    I once got hit in the throat by a horseshoe. Voice wasn’t the same for weeks afterwards

  10. #70
    I thnk that for tauren and draenei rogues we should add damage component for their ability Kick. Imagine being kicked by 3 meters tall tauren with horseshoes. And small nerf of their stealth, as they running with that horseshoe sound.

  11. #71
    Yeah...sure, tauren and draeni rogues...and about as subtle. /s

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    For the last time: I'm not talking about animals, domesticated or otherwise.

    I'm talking about humanoids such as tauren and draenei, who stand on two legs, who put a lot of exertion on their hooves as they fight against powerful enemies, as they do some serious heavy lifting, as they trudge or run through rough terrain, etc. All stuff that puts serious strain on the hooves and could damage them to the point of leaving them crippled.
    How do you know this?

    Since you're NOT inferring from how it works on animals, where ARE you getting your information from?

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    For the last time: I'm not talking about animals, domesticated or otherwise.

    I'm talking about humanoids such as tauren and draenei, who stand on two legs, who put a lot of exertion on their hooves as they fight against powerful enemies, as they do some serious heavy lifting, as they trudge or run through rough terrain, etc. All stuff that puts serious strain on the hooves and could damage them to the point of leaving them crippled.
    Oh cool, then let's limit it to two-legged creatures.

    Most two-legged creature on Earth (a notable exception being birds) are capable of putting "serious strain" on their feet, can "trudge or run through rough terrain," and most of them can do some "serious heavy lifting." Gorillas and other apes wave hello, in particular.

    Yes, that includes. We do just fine without shoes. Again there are entire peoples on the planet who go without shoes, one of which being the continually-ignored tribe in Zimbabwe (which you might know as being a harsh terrain). In the case of humans, we naturally tend to develop callouses to help protect our feet. Because if we didn't, and we -- again, I have NO IDEA what you think happens if you don't wear shoes, so I'm sticking with the spontaneous combustion theory -- then we'd never have fucking evolved to our current state, or anything close to it.

    Shoes are a convenience not a requirement. I have no idea why you can't process this simple fucking fact. It's not rocket science. It's not even basic arithmetic.

  14. #74
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    How do you know this?

    Since you're NOT inferring from how it works on animals, where ARE you getting your information from?
    It's simple basic physics: attrition. Everything can and is eroded through friction on varying levels.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    Yes, that includes. We do just fine without shoes.
    No. No, we don't. Wearing shoes is about protection. Against wear and damages that would incur while running, jumping, stomping, grinding the hooves, etc, against terrain those hooves were not designed to walk on, made worse by heavy loads they'd be carrying, just as heavy plate, heavy weapon, and whatever else they might be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It's simple basic physics: attrition. Everything can and is eroded through friction on varying levels.
    So you ARE taking some info from how things work on earth, you're just EXCLUDING other things (like how hooves work)?

    Any particular reason why you get to refer to real-world stuff and I don't? Just asking. Seems a little unfair.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    No. No, we don't. Wearing shoes is about protection. Against wear and damages that would incur while running, jumping, stomping, grinding the hooves, etc, against terrain those hooves were not designed to walk on, made worse by heavy loads they'd be carrying, just as heavy plate, heavy weapon, and whatever else they might be doing.
    Yes. Yes we do.

    We (including our ancestors) were running long distances, hunting, hauling heavy loads, jumping, stomping, and grinding away for hundreds of thousands of years without so much as an inkling of the concept of what a shoe would one day be.

    They. Are. A. God. Damned. Fucking. Convenience.

  17. #77
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    So you ARE taking some info from how things work on earth, you're just EXCLUDING other things (like how hooves work)?

    Any particular reason why you get to refer to real-world stuff and I don't? Just asking. Seems a little unfair.
    Because you're taking how we treat animals and the work animals get with what humanoid races can do. Horses don't do the same work and go through the same exertions that people do. "Horses can carry a human in full plate armor with no problem!" Great! We're not talking about horses. I don't care about how much they can or cannot carry.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    They. Are. A. God. Damned. Fucking. Convenience.
    Are welding masks "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are hard hats "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are seat belts "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are bike helmets "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Is everything "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Because you're taking how we treat animals and the work animals get with what humanoid races can do.
    Um, you're literally denying that HOOVES work the same, so... idk man.

    You say Draenei/Tauren need horseshoes because of abrasion; you justify this by saying "them walking on hard ground abrades their hooves". But when I point out that this is not enough to warrant shoeing for ANY hoof we know of, you simply dismiss it by saying "but I'm talking about fictional races!".

    So explain to me why you get to use an understanding of physics based in the real world (materials abrading against each other), but I do NOT get to use an understanding of biology based in the real world (hooves growing back continuously).

    And if you're saying "well Draenei/Tauren hooves just work differently!" then explain to us how you know this. Or, alternatively, just outright admit that you're making shit up out of thin air.

  19. #79
    The Insane Ielenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    18,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    But when I point out that this is not enough to warrant shoeing for ANY hoof we know of, you simply dismiss it by saying "but I'm talking about fictional races!".
    Wrong. I counter your argument by pointing the kind of work a horse or any other animal does not compare to what a humanoid would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Wrong. I counter your argument by pointing the kind of work a horse or any other animal does not compare to what a humanoid would do.
    And how does that mean humanoids WOULD need shoes for their hooves simply because of abrasive wear, when that's not true for ANY hoof we know?

    How do you know this is how it works, when literally every example we have in the real world says it doesn't work like that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •