Thread: Shower Thoughts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    Don't let anything in this post distract you from the fact that Game of Thrones season 8 was terrible
    I'm not aware of a single soul on the face of the planet who genuinely believes otherwise. At least no one with an opinion worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    And yet, through some strange miracle, millions upon millions of different species have managed to evolve without needing shoes. Including modern day humans who still have people who refuse to wear them, like the aforementioned tribe in Zimbabwe.
    Shoes should be viewed as a tool, like most human inventions. Our feet are pretty good at developing callouses and other defenses to allow us to move freely. Still, if we cut our foot, we can be disabled for a considerable period of time, and even potentially die from infection. Shoes greatly reduce the damage to our feet over our lifespan. With modern medicine, we absolutely could revert to a barefoot culture without much danger if we altered our infrastucture to support it.

Horseshoes exist because many hoofed animals evolved primarly on soft ground such as plains. Their hooves are not designed to withstand the wear that cobblestone/asphault/pavement provides. By contrast, hoofed animals in rough terrain, such as goats, actively need their hooves trimmed because there isn't enough wear on soft ground.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Shoes should be viewed as a tool, like most human inventions. Our feet are pretty good at developing callouses and other defenses to allow us to move freely. Still, if we cut our foot, we can be disabled for a considerable period of time, and even potentially die from infection. Shoes greatly reduce the damage to our feet over our lifespan. With modern medicine, we absolutely could revert to a barefoot culture without much danger if we altered our infrastucture to support it.

Horseshoes exist because many hoofed animals evolved primarly on soft ground such as plains. Their hooves are not designed to withstand the wear that cobblestone/asphault/pavement provides. By contrast, hoofed animals in rough terrain, such as goats, actively need their hooves trimmed because there isn't enough wear on soft ground.
    Yes, all of this was brought up (numerous times) earlier in the conversation.

We're talking to someone who's in complete denial about the purpose of shoes (used as a general term, including horseshoes and all its variants). For whatever bizarre reason, they seem to think it's literally impossible for a hooved creature (or even just a normal human) to exist without shoes. Like, at all. They'll apparently die on the spot if they try to do anything without them, or whatever effed up belief they've convinced themselves will happen. That's what's being discussed, not that shoes aren't beneficial, useful, comfortable, and/or a convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    It really is a sad time for mankind. This is how people are about everything and anything now. Saw a movie you didn't like? Best rant about it on social media for the better part of a year and shit all over everyone involved or god forbid someone who liked it. A band released a new album you don't like? Better shit all over them as much as humanly possibly. Someone has a slightly differing opinion than your own? Literally Hitler. You're not allowed to enjoy something anymore, you must be enraged or offended!!!
    What i find REALLY confusing is review bombing, especially on platforms that require a purchase first.

"this game is shit, i knew it would be shit, all the story sux the gameplay sux - this company hasnt released anything good in a decade, and this is no different" - Bob - pre-purchased ultra edition for $99 - 946 hours played on record, 600 since this review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The workload has nothing to do with it.

You don't shoe because of abrasive wear, period. That's never the issue. You show because of load wear (primarily to prevent splitting), and if that's not an issue you just don't shoe at all. Because hooves are entirely capable of just growing back what's abraded against the ground - that's... how they work.

That's why domesticated animals are entirely fine walking across paved roads and whatnot without horseshoes, because them just abrading against a hard surface doesn't matter. The hooves will just grow naturally all the time anyway, and replace themselves.
    For the last time: I'm not talking about animals, domesticated or otherwise.

I'm talking about humanoids such as tauren and draenei, who stand on two legs, who put a lot of exertion on their hooves as they fight against powerful enemies, as they do some serious heavy lifting, as they trudge or run through rough terrain, etc. All stuff that puts serious strain on the hooves and could damage them to the point of leaving them crippled.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

I'm talking about humanoids such as tauren and draenei, who stand on two legs, who put a lot of exertion on their hooves as they fight against powerful enemies, as they do some serious heavy lifting, as they trudge or run through rough terrain, etc. All stuff that puts serious strain on the hooves and could damage them to the point of leaving them crippled.
    I once got hit in the throat by a horseshoe. Voice wasn’t the same for weeks afterwards

I thnk that for tauren and draenei rogues we should add damage component for their ability Kick. Imagine being kicked by 3 meters tall tauren with horseshoes. And small nerf of their stealth, as they running with that horseshoe sound.

Yeah...sure, tauren and draeni rogues...and about as subtle. /s

How do you know this?

Since you're NOT inferring from how it works on animals, where ARE you getting your information from?

Oh cool, then let's limit it to two-legged creatures.

Most two-legged creature on Earth (a notable exception being birds) are capable of putting "serious strain" on their feet, can "trudge or run through rough terrain," and most of them can do some "serious heavy lifting." Gorillas and other apes wave hello, in particular.

Yes, that includes. We do just fine without shoes. Again there are entire peoples on the planet who go without shoes, one of which being the continually-ignored tribe in Zimbabwe (which you might know as being a harsh terrain). In the case of humans, we naturally tend to develop callouses to help protect our feet. Because if we didn't, and we -- again, I have NO IDEA what you think happens if you don't wear shoes, so I'm sticking with the spontaneous combustion theory -- then we'd never have fucking evolved to our current state, or anything close to it.

Shoes are a convenience not a requirement. I have no idea why you can't process this simple fucking fact. It's not rocket science. It's not even basic arithmetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know this?

Since you're NOT inferring from how it works on animals, where ARE you getting your information from?
    It's simple basic physics: attrition. Everything can and is eroded through friction on varying levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that includes. We do just fine without shoes.
    No. No, we don't. Wearing shoes is about protection. Against wear and damages that would incur while running, jumping, stomping, grinding the hooves, etc, against terrain those hooves were not designed to walk on, made worse by heavy loads they'd be carrying, just as heavy plate, heavy weapon, and whatever else they might be doing.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

It's simple basic physics: attrition. Everything can and is eroded through friction on varying levels.
    So you ARE taking some info from how things work on earth, you're just EXCLUDING other things (like how hooves work)?

Any particular reason why you get to refer to real-world stuff and I don't? Just asking. Seems a little unfair.

No. No, we don't. Wearing shoes is about protection. Against wear and damages that would incur while running, jumping, stomping, grinding the hooves, etc, against terrain those hooves were not designed to walk on, made worse by heavy loads they'd be carrying, just as heavy plate, heavy weapon, and whatever else they might be doing.
    Yes. Yes we do.

We (including our ancestors) were running long distances, hunting, hauling heavy loads, jumping, stomping, and grinding away for hundreds of thousands of years without so much as an inkling of the concept of what a shoe would one day be.

They. Are. A. God. Damned. Fucking. Convenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you ARE taking some info from how things work on earth, you're just EXCLUDING other things (like how hooves work)?

Any particular reason why you get to refer to real-world stuff and I don't? Just asking. Seems a little unfair.
    Because you're taking how we treat animals and the work animals get with what humanoid races can do. Horses don't do the same work and go through the same exertions that people do. "Horses can carry a human in full plate armor with no problem!" Great! We're not talking about horses. I don't care about how much they can or cannot carry.

- - - Updated - - -

They. Are. A. God. Damned. Fucking. Convenience.
    Are welding masks "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are hard hats "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are seat belts "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are bike helmets "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Is everything "just a god damned fucking convenience"?

Because you're taking how we treat animals and the work animals get with what humanoid races can do.
    Um, you're literally denying that HOOVES work the same, so... idk man.

You say Draenei/Tauren need horseshoes because of abrasion; you justify this by saying "them walking on hard ground abrades their hooves". But when I point out that this is not enough to warrant shoeing for ANY hoof we know of, you simply dismiss it by saying "but I'm talking about fictional races!".

So explain to me why you get to use an understanding of physics based in the real world (materials abrading against each other), but I do NOT get to use an understanding of biology based in the real world (hooves growing back continuously).

And if you're saying "well Draenei/Tauren hooves just work differently!" then explain to us how you know this. Or, alternatively, just outright admit that you're making shit up out of thin air.

10+ Year Old Account
    But when I point out that this is not enough to warrant shoeing for ANY hoof we know of, you simply dismiss it by saying "but I'm talking about fictional races!".
    Wrong. I counter your argument by pointing the kind of work a horse or any other animal does not compare to what a humanoid would do.

Wrong. I counter your argument by pointing the kind of work a horse or any other animal does not compare to what a humanoid would do.
    And how does that mean humanoids WOULD need shoes for their hooves simply because of abrasive wear, when that's not true for ANY hoof we know?

How do you know this is how it works, when literally every example we have in the real world says it doesn't work like that?

Because you're taking how we treat animals and the work animals get with what humanoid races can do. Horses don't do the same work and go through the same exertions that people do. "Horses can carry a human in full plate armor with no problem!" Great! We're not talking about horses. I don't care about how much they can or cannot carry.
    I thought we weren't talking about animals? Funny how you go back to using that argument when it suits you.

Are welding masks "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are hard hats "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are seat belts "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Are bike helmets "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Is everything "just a god damned fucking convenience"?
    Yes! You can most certainly fucking weld without a mask.
    Yes! You can most definitely build something without a hard hat.
    Yes! Seat belts weren't even fucking invented until decades after cars were.
    Yes! You can most definitely ride a bike without a god damned fucking helmet.
    Pretty much! Most technology is a convenience.

Wait, are you a creationist or something, and believe man was put on this earth by a creator, complete with all modern technology or something? Is that how you think evolution worked? Or worse, one of those spoiled twits who are all "but mooooooom, I'll totally die if you take away my phone, it's a necessity for survival, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"?

Also, it's funny how you keep ignoring the point about people who, today, don't wear shoes and function just fine, like the yet again aforementioned Zimbabwe tribe. Or just random Joes and hippie-types who don't like shoes.

Don't bother fucking replying if you're going to ignore it again. (Which means, don't bother fucking replying at all, since everyone knows you will.)
    Last edited by Rocksteady 87; 2022-08-07 at 09:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And how does that mean humanoids WOULD need shoes for their hooves simply because of abrasive wear, when that's not true for ANY hoof we know?
    I've already explained that several times over, and yet you keep ignoring it.

How do you know this is how it works, when literally every example we have in the real world says it doesn't work like that?
    Because "literally every example we have in the real world" doesn't fit the kind of stuff draenei and tauren do.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought we weren't talking about animals? Funny how you go back to using that argument when it suits you.
    It's amusing how you accuse me of "not knowing how to read english" yet you partake in the same 'mistake'. The quote of mine you responded to literally has me saying I don't care about talking about animals, which the other poster kept bringing up.

Yes! You can most certainly fucking weld without a mask.
    Yes! You can most definitely build something without a hard hat.
    Yes! Seat belts weren't even fucking invented until decades after cars were.
    Yes! You can most definitely ride a bike without a god damned fucking helmet.
    Pretty much! Most technology is a convenience.
    Ah, okay. So you have a skewed definition of "convenience". Nothing is necessary, everything is convenience.

Don't bother fucking replying if you're going to ignore it again.
    And you also seem to have a skewed definition of "ignore" considering I addressed your points. Good bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87
    Also, it's funny how you keep ignoring the point about people who, today, don't wear shoes and function just fine, like the yet again aforementioned Zimbabwe tribe. Or just random Joes and hippie-types who don't like shoes.

Don't bother fucking replying if you're going to ignore it again. (Which means, don't bother fucking replying at all, since everyone knows you will.)
    And you also seem to have a skewed definition of "ignore" considering I addressed your points. Good bye.
    And you ignored it for the fourth time.

Fascinating how certain people's brains work. Or don't, as the case may be.