Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Back in the 90's, most cartoons were watchable by even adult standards, unlike subsequent generations of cartoons. Well, unless it was on Disney channel, but anything on FOX Kids, Cartoon Network, and Nick was mature enough for adult audiences to enjoy.
    I think people forget just how high brow a lot of cartoons were in the 90's. Aside from like actual educational shows for kids, even Rugrats, a show about literal babies, was entertaining for adults because there were always references to things that would go over the heads of us kids. Then like the Nixon and Clinton jokes in Animaniacs, Brain being an interpretation of Orson Welles and so on and so forth. The DC shows in the 90's were great, and even the original Batman show from the 70's which was on reruns when I was a kid, had all of the camp and wit of the early comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think people forget just how high brow a lot of cartoons were in the 90's. Aside from like actual educational shows for kids, even Rugrats, a show about literal babies, was entertaining for adults because there were always references to things that would go over the heads of us kids. Then like the Nixon and Clinton jokes in Animaniacs, Brain being an interpretation of Orson Welles and so on and so forth. The DC shows in the 90's were great, and even the original Batman show from the 70's which was on reruns when I was a kid, had all of the camp and wit of the early comics.
    Batman. Animated series was pretty great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq5vNY_FJeE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtLTxBYZHw

and even in 2000 we had some good stuff in DC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOooJW5SSDA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhPTRMnu7rk

as for batgirl, I absolutely unironically loved the only season of Birds of Prey we got. that show was pure CW cheesefest and deviated from comics quite a bit, but I loved it anyways. it could have found its footing had it been allowed to, but alas the ratings dropped and so was the show...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    what about man of steel?
    That was one of the worst movies ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Did any of you know young kids or people who had young kids in the 90s?

I was a teenager watching Doug and Rugrats, etc. I didn't know any little kids who watched those cartoons. They were not really entertaining for little kids, imo. Kids stuck to Sesame Street and Barney and things like that, things we, as adults, would find as cringe as Bluey or whatever is the du jure these days.

who asked for this movie to begin with?

Would you have preferred the bubblegum and popcorn style of marvel?
    I would have prefered a movie that actually liked its main character.

I'd take an Ironman style movie, or a Captain America Winter Soldier style movie. Something that, for all its faults, actually LIKES the superhero they are showing us.

Synder is good at 2 things, making pretty still-screen images and putting massively unneeded amounts of slowmo into any movie he makes. Other than that, no thanks.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Did any of you know young kids or people who had young kids in the 90s?

I was a teenager watching Doug and Rugrats, etc. I didn't know any little kids who watched those cartoons. They were not really entertaining for little kids, imo. Kids stuck to Sesame Street and Barney and things like that, things we, as adults, would find as cringe as Bluey or whatever is the du jure these days.
    Well I was about 8 when Animaniacs was in full swing and I watched that with my parents a lot. Even on summer vacation, the hotel we were staying at had a big TV in the lobby and it was on TV on Sunday evenings so we'd get together with my dad's coworkers families since they all had kids around my age, and we'd watch that show in particular together.

I think a lot of parents watched shows with their kids when I was growing up, not just mine. I also watched Star Trek TNG as a kid with my dad. Maybe my experience isn't the same as others, but I know me and those in my social circle did. Heck, my brother was watching Rugrats when he was like 5 or 6 and that show came out the same year he was born.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2022-08-14 at 06:09 PM.

I will give you that Animaniacs bridged that adult/kid divide pretty well. But I feel like it was one of the first cartoons to ever do so. Yanno, besides the Simpsons, which, if you think about it, isn't for really little kids, especially back in the 80s.

7+ Year Old Account
    Would you have preferred the bubblegum and popcorn style of marvel?
    Sure dude, seeing how bad man of steel was i would have rather watched a blank screen.

OK I understand now.
    You like the kids version of things.
    Edgy boy you are.... your eyeliner is running.