Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Becuase it is the same grind even in FFXIV when it comes to rep.

run into a giant mob, kill mob, GG. Only difference in any is wasting time to go see NPC or not to gain and hand in quest. None of these games are that different at all they're 99% the same.
    It's really not but ok.

Know its a bit of jumping the gun but looking at this renown system again. Somehow I got this feeling its going to mimic almost identically as what Shadowlands brought

Last edited by AlmightyGerkin; 2022-08-04 at 12:48 AM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegresse View Post
    maybe this is an indicator that Archaeology will finally have an update and use again...
    I think they said that Archaeology would be making a return in DF but not on launch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    A game that doesn't gate things behind a tedious grind system would be real nice.
    I wouldn't call it a tedious grind. grinding mobs to get rep with the Steamwheedle Cartel, that was a tedious grind. this, not so much. also gating stuff doesn't really matter if the gated stuff gives zero player power; it's not a mandatory grind so just don't do it if you don't want to

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Most games don't have the tedious and boring grinds that WoW does. At least in other games it's actually fun.
    Define fun for me please.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Define fun for me please.
    Kind of a hard one, what's fun for you might not be fun for someone else. Which is why arguing over what is fun in a game is silly to begin with unless you have a large sample size poll and have asked a significant portion of the said population and can actually say 78% of said population does not find this fun. Lending to the argument that people tend not to talk about their individual opinions and instead present them as if they are the opinions of a collective whole or majority. Would be far better to discuss what it is an individual finds to not be fun about a rep grind. For example I do not find the repetitive nature of killing x creature for x drop only to turn in said number of x drops for y amount of rep to be enjoyable or fun in the long term. Short term, maybe an hour worth of said content can actually be enjoyable and a reasonable time sink. I do not find doing the same quests or group of rotating quests for months to be enjoyable. I do enjoy doing them several times and again is good content for me. So I would hope blizzard would utilize several different methods for renown gain that would take into account both methods and perhaps even a 3rd or 4th option beyond dropped item turn ins and daily quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    No that's not what they said, this has been known for a while you just can do all them at the same time and don't have to pick anymore, no throughput is gained from them.
    Not quite accurate. What they are doing is a reputation overhaul going from the old Neutral to Exalted XP grind to a renown grind.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Not quite accurate. What they are doing is a reputation overhaul going from the old Neutral to Exalted XP grind to a renown grind.
    It's all the same thing but it's always been time gated. No matter how you look at it some things in this game will always be timegated unless they change fundamental aspects of the game and not rework the same systems to oblivion but to do that they would need to move to a new engine.

This is kind of a tangent but related

Honestly based on all the software engineers they hired it's looking like they may actually be making a new engine. Look at Capcom's Monster Hunter series for example, they used the same game engine for about 16 years before they moved onto 2 new engines which they had to remake pretty much everything but it ended up being 100% worth it.

It won't be an issue with Microsoft money, if they are smart they will invest big into WoW and get it onto consoles and Gamrpass. Having a premium mmo to get people into the universe on pc and console would destroy the competition, not to mention all the WoW mobiles titles and stand alone games that will come.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2022-08-04 at 03:56 PM.

It's all the same thing but it's always been time gated. No matter how you look at it some things in this game will always be timegated unless they change fundamental aspects of the game and not rework the same systems to oblivion but to do that they would need to move to a new engine.

This is kind of a tangent but related

Honestly based on all the software engineers they hired it's looking like they may actually be making a new engine. Look at Capcom's Monster Hunter series for example, they used the same game engine for about 16 years before they moved onto 2 new engines which they had to remake pretty much everything but it ended up being 100% worth it.

It won't be an issue with Microsoft money, if they are smart they will invest big into WoW and get it onto consoles and Gamrpass. Having a premium mmo to get people into the universe on pc and console would destroy the competition, not to mention all the WoW mobiles titles and stand alone games that will come.
    They are not putting WoW on consoles. It is pointless to re-write a 17 year old game to work on them. IF they want to put WoW on console, they can create a WoW2 and that is not going to happen because players are not going to give up what they spent years on old characters.

Dragon ilse supplies....?

Why is blizzard unable to learn? Is it stupidity or arrogance? Perhaps a blend of the two?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Dragon ilse supplies....?

Why is blizzard unable to learn? Is it stupidity or arrogance? Perhaps a blend of the two?
    says the person who misspelt Isle. also, I don't know exactly what supplies refers to but I think it's going to be mats for crafting. what did you think it was going to be?

They really should find a different name.. The idea behind the way they are planning to do it in DF isn't even bad in the slightest, but people lose all critical thinking skills the moment they see the word renown.

All this is doing is replacing reputation with renown, functionally its likely not gonna be any different than if it had been the same old, neutral,friendly,honored,revered,exalted bar, plus there are so many more interesting rewards tied to it than with previous expansion rep grinds.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2022-08-05 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    So you want everything handed to you. I don't think you want to play an MMO. Every MMO has grinding. Hell, most games have some form of grinding.
    What?...time gating is simply dumb, the game files don't change, everything is in the game, you just can't access it because they want you to wait X number of weeks before allowing you to take part in that specific piece of content...they are taking player choice away and replacing it with "the Blizzard way" of doing things. You can be the best geared player in the world or the worst kind of player, you're both going to have to wait for X months before finishing the renown because of timegating...timegating goes *against* the very idea of grinding, you CAN NOT grind something that is timegated....

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    They really should find a different name.. The idea behind the way they are planning to do it in DF isn't even bad in the slightest, but people lose all critical thinking skills the moment they see the word renown.

All this is doing is replacing reputation with renown, functionally its likely not gonna be any different than if it had been the same old, neutral,friendly,honored,revered,exalted bar, plus there are so many more interesting rewards tied to it than with previous expansion rep grinds.
    Exactly this, people read Renown and lose their shit. If they had more than a pea-sized brain and were able to read they would know that the offical idea for Dragonflight reputations is to introduce the Renown system there to actually hand our MORE rewards over time than in a better way than with the classic reputation system.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    They are not putting WoW on consoles. It is pointless to re-write a 17 year old game to work on them. IF they want to put WoW on console, they can create a WoW2 and that is not going to happen because players are not going to give up what they spent years on old characters.
    You clearly did not read the part about moving everything to the new engine, MS isn't making a 70 billion investment without other big moves. No one will lose anything account related.

You clearly did not read the part about moving everything to the new engine, MS isn't making a 70 billion investment without other big moves. No one will lose anything account related.
    Even IF a "WoW2" was to ever happen (and that's doubtful to begin with), it's unlikely they'd migrate anything of substance from old accounts. More likely it'd be some token gesture like "anyone with an old WoW account gets this cool mount" or whatever. A new game would be a chance for them to angle for a new generation of players, and the last thing you want is to create the impression that the "old school" has some kind of advantage you'll never overcome; even if it has nothing to do with power. From a business standpoint that's just never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Even IF a "WoW2" was to ever happen (and that's doubtful to begin with), it's unlikely they'd migrate anything of substance from old accounts. More likely it'd be some token gesture like "anyone with an old WoW account gets this cool mount" or whatever. A new game would be a chance for them to angle for a new generation of players, and the last thing you want is to create the impression that the "old school" has some kind of advantage you'll never overcome; even if it has nothing to do with power. From a business standpoint that's just never going to happen.
    A new engine doesn't mean wow2 why does everybody keep getting this in their heads. I also said it's a possibility hence why that was in the bottom section.

However people need to start being OK with change because battlenet is going to merge with game pass at some point and then there won't be a battlenet app so if you don't like Microsoft now you better get the hell out lol.

A new engine doesn't mean wow2 why does everybody keep getting this in their heads.
    Because that's even less likely to happen.

If you're already creating a new engine 20+ years more advanced, you'd be an idiot to keep all the legacy stuff around and working the same way. Part of the problem is that WoW's engine limits its mechanical potentials, and you can't just update all that but also keep it the same. It's not just about "WoW needs to look prettier", it's about a whole slew of technical limitations that create GAME MECHANICS two decades out of date.

That's like saying we need to recreate Super Mario in full 3D but we keep all the content and moves the exact same. It'd be a giant disjointed mess.

I like the way they have it set up this time I know for a fact im going to do all of them.. party time!!!! just where is dragon isle on the azeroth map and when do we get a release date .. so I can plan..my adventures

WOW is not the only game under that investment. Call of Duty, Candy Crush and others under that and are far more worthy of investment. MS is NOT going to invest that kind of money into an old game. It makes absolutely no snese to re-write a 17 year old game for consoles. The only way bringing WOW to consoles make any sense is to create a WoW2. That will bomb becuase no player is going to give up all their hard work to start all over again. People need to stop acting like WoW is the sole reason why they are buying the company. IN fact, it is very far down the list of games in tersm of what they are going to invest in. WoW ain't that anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

A new engine doesn't mean wow2 why does everybody keep getting this in their heads. I also said it's a possibility hence why that was in the bottom section.

However people need to start being OK with change because battlenet is going to merge with game pass at some point and then there won't be a battlenet app so if you don't like Microsoft now you better get the hell out lol.
    And you jknow that how? Show the official announcement from MS where they said that?

Right now you do not know that with any certainty.

ESO still uses its own launcher. So, no?