Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden/Yugoslavia
    Posts
    3,612

    Stop closing good threads because of bad posts

    Let's get one thing out of the way - not allowing to discuss moderation is dictatorship. Like China, Eritrea, etc.
    Imagine if Xi said "you are not allowed to publicly say ANYTHING about me, instead send me an email".
    That's ridiculous and that rule needs to go.

    Anyway, to my point.
    Mods need to do some actualy moderation for once.
    Many of them (you know who you are) are spamposting in every forum instead of doing their job. It's fine to discuss, but do your job properly, mkay?

    What happens is that a GOOD thread gets a ton of bad posts and gets closed by a mod leaving all the bad posts in it.
    You're killing the forum. YOU. Not the posters. The mods are.
    Leave the damn thread open and delete the posts that are offensive and issue infractions (but go easy on these as you're way too trigger happy atm).

    And finally, stop taking sides and infracting people who disagree with your opinion and using trolling as an excuse. That shit is not cool. If I go to the Ukraine thread and say that it does needs to be denazified, that is not trolling and it's not a reason for infraction.
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2022-08-04 at 07:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Mods are such snowflakes on this forum.

  3. #3
    You may have a point but...well, see you in a month or so...

  4. #4
    Most of the so-called "good threads" devolve to a bunch of DAUNTING back and forth between 2 people for 5 pages who already forgot what the thread was even about.

    If anything moderators show restraint given many threads are just thinly veiled low effort jabs at everything by vengeful exes.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden/Yugoslavia
    Posts
    3,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Most of the so-called "good threads" devolve to a bunch of DAUNTING back and forth between 2 people for 5 pages who already forgot what the thread was even about.

    If anything moderators show restraint given many threads are just thinly veiled low effort jabs at everything by vengeful exes.
    There's a way to stop those people. Yeah it's not as easy as closing down the whole thread, but cleaning it up is their job. But I guess the problem is higher up for allowing that kind of behavior/moderation.
    The moderator culture needs to change.

  6. #6
    I am 100% behind this. I've resorted to just reporting all the trolls with 10 year badges, but they get a 1 day ban at most. I realize modding a forum like this is an unpaid 100% voluntary shitty job, but if you're not up to the task, then don't do it. It is that simple. I also see a lot of good discussion threads closed because of the same exact bad apples making troll posts and derailing the thread. Instead of closing a thread, you could just ban and remove those bad posts. It just seems lazy to me.
    I have to say there are some good mods and decisions being made as well, but they are in the minority. A lot of mods (like OP said, you know who you are), seem to just be moderator so they can powertrip and close threads/delete messages that they don't like.

    And yes, discussing moderation should be allowed. Not doing so is actual censorship. This rule is only a vain attempt to try and hide the terrible moderation that often occurs on this forum. I do think it should be contained to the feedback sub-forum though, since that is its purpose. Calling out moderation in regular threads is not needed. And ofc calling out specific mods could still be limited. But I do feel like discussing moderation in general in the feedback forum should be allowed. This way we can improve this forum and its moderation in a healthy way.
    Last edited by micwini; 2022-08-04 at 07:35 AM.

  7. #7
    Freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom of consequences.

    You advocating for a genocide of an entire people (because thats how it works in reality) and thinking it is a valid acceptable viewpoint to fiercely defend...It is pure trolling.

    Advocating for harm against innocent people is against the websites rules.

    "Let's justify a massacre of all civilian life and infrastructure because a country wants safety from a hostile, belligerent neighbour!" is not the opinion you should be proud of. But you are you, I foresaw this post coming from mile away lol.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom of consequences.

    You advocating for a genocide of an entire people (because thats how it works in reality) and thinking it is a valid acceptable viewpoint to fiercely defend...It is pure trolling.

    Advocating for harm against innocent people is against the websites rules.

    "Let's justify a massacre of all civilian life and infrastructure because a country wants safety from a hostile, belligerent neighbour!" is not the opinion you should be proud of. But you are you, I foresaw this post coming from mile away lol.
    It's not really about this. It is like the title states: Good threads are closed because of bad posts (mostly 2-3 people derailing the thread back and forth). This naturally leads into discussing the sub-par moderation on this site. Something really should be done about it.

    I do agree with you on your points: Stuff that you mentioned would obviously result in a timeout, but it's not really what the thread is about.

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden/Yugoslavia
    Posts
    3,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Freedom of speech does not guarantee freedom of consequences.

    You advocating for a genocide of an entire people (because thats how it works in reality) and thinking it is a valid acceptable viewpoint to fiercely defend...It is pure trolling.

    Advocating for harm against innocent people is against the websites rules.

    "Let's justify a massacre of all civilian life and infrastructure because a country wants safety from a hostile, belligerent neighbour!" is not the opinion you should be proud of. But you are you, I foresaw this post coming from mile away lol.
    Go to the Ukraine thread if you want to discuss that, or PM me if you want to discuss our differences. But I disagree with you, Russia is not commiting genocide on Ukraine. You should look up what that word means.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    There's a way to stop those people. Yeah it's not as easy as closing down the whole thread, but cleaning it up is their job. But I guess the problem is higher up for allowing that kind of behavior/moderation.
    The moderator culture needs to change.
    Many threads simply outlive their usefullness even regardless of trolling.

    And besides the usual pattern is some burner account OP opening some thinly veiled gaslighting thread and then proceeding fighting 10 people at the same time unwilling to budge even a millimeter, even if there was a speck of good faith in the whole endeavor.

    If moderation would have been how it should be - you'd have half the current threads in general purged with fire. But given how MMO-C is practically a club of 100 or so boomers duking out, guess they give it a bit more air.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    It's not really about this. It is like the title states: Good threads are closed because of bad posts (mostly 2-3 people derailing the thread back and forth). This naturally leads into discussing the sub-par moderation on this site. Something really should be done about it.

    I do agree with you on your points: Stuff that you mentioned would obviously result in a timeout, but it's not really what the thread is about.
    You are not wrong, the moderation at times is wild.

    But when a poster makes a thread about this matter, it is more than healthy to check the post history of the OP and see where it stems from. In this case, I and many others are very familiar of the modus operandi of the said poster and in this particular case, moderation has been perfect when a valid discussion turns into a shitfest going back and forth, from 1 genocide-enthusiasist to 10 others debunking everything, every time, until a mod bans the one.

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden/Yugoslavia
    Posts
    3,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    You are not wrong, the moderation at times is wild.

    But when a poster makes a thread about this matter, it is more than healthy to check the post history of the OP and see where it stems from. In this case, I and many others are very familiar of the modus operandi of the said poster and in this particular case, moderation has been perfect when a valid discussion turns into a shitfest going back and forth, from 1 genocide-enthusiasist to 10 others debunking everything, every time, until a mod bans the one.
    You think this thread is about myself?
    Take a look at the forum generally. The issue is widespread and affecting everyone, not just me.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    You think this thread is about myself?
    Take a look at the forum generally. The issue is widespread and affecting everyone, not just me.
    You also are not wrong about that. But you had to add your last line of the original post so I guess I could not resist to comment!

    What comes to this thread, if discussion of moderation is not allowed here, this thread will simply be closed and the only way to discuss moderation is to directly PM the mods. Not much else you can do about it, a rule is a rule and this website is not public space where your individual rights of your country of residence apply.

    My guess is, in many cases, some threads are never closed despite of humongous amount of bad posts - this is because like with Ukraine vs Russia thread - they need a thread to contain all the volatile topics.

    You say banning the discussion of moderation is dictatorship, but if it is a clear rule, you have no choice but to obey - or get infracted.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sweden/Yugoslavia
    Posts
    3,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    You also are not wrong about that. But you had to add your last line of the original post so I guess I could not resist to comment!

    What comes to this thread, if discussion of moderation is not allowed here, this thread will simply be closed and the only way to discuss moderation is to directly PM the mods. Not much else you can do about it, a rule is a rule and this website is not public space where your individual rights of your country of residence apply.

    My guess is, in many cases, some threads are never closed despite of humongous amount of bad posts - this is because like with Ukraine vs Russia thread - they need a thread to contain all the volatile topics.

    You say banning the discussion of moderation is dictatorship, but if it is a clear rule, you have no choice but to obey - or get infracted.
    Yes, this thread will be closed.
    But it needs to be said. It needs to be said by us and it needs to be heard by mods. By changing nothing, nothing changes.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    You also are not wrong about that. But you had to add your last line of the original post so I guess I could not resist to comment!

    What comes to this thread, if discussion of moderation is not allowed here, this thread will simply be closed and the only way to discuss moderation is to directly PM the mods. Not much else you can do about it, a rule is a rule and this website is not public space where your individual rights of your country of residence apply.

    My guess is, in many cases, some threads are never closed despite of humongous amount of bad posts - this is because like with Ukraine vs Russia thread - they need a thread to contain all the volatile topics.

    You say banning the discussion of moderation is dictatorship, but if it is a clear rule, you have no choice but to obey - or get infracted.
    I would rather go out fighting bullshit like this than just sit quietly and let them treat me like a fucking doormat.

    There is a reason why I rarely post here and the Mods and that pile of refuse called scrapbot are that reason.

    The entire mod team here should be added to the Chilling effects web site.

    As for the rules ..dictatorships love their rules even if the rules make no damn sense worse still the ones in power can interpret the rules at their whim to mean any fucking thing they want whenever they want and telling us to go discuss it with the Mods is like asking us to go discuss it with the Stazi. (Stazi = Brickwall that simply doesnt care)

    No thanks, I would rather get banned than talk to any of the mods here.
    Last edited by Addiena; 2022-08-04 at 08:13 AM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Let's get one thing out of the way - not allowing to discuss moderation is dictatorship. Like China, Eritrea, etc.
    Imagine if Xi said "you are not allowed to publicly say ANYTHING about me, instead send me an email".
    That's ridiculous and that rule needs to go.
    this is a privately owned forum....it is not a democracy. But there's good news. If you don't like the rules...you can leave anytime you want

    Anyway, to my point.
    Mods need to do some actualy moderation for once.
    Many of them (you know who you are) are spamposting in every forum instead of doing their job. It's fine to discuss, but do your job properly, mkay?
    Most of the mods you see that are "spamposting" are not mods of that particular forum.

    That shit is not cool. If I go to the Ukraine thread and say that it does needs to be denazified, that is not trolling and it's not a reason for infraction.
    You may not be trolling...but it is certainly a reason for infracction.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Let's get one thing out of the way - not allowing to discuss moderation is dictatorship. Like China, Eritrea, etc.
    If they allow moderation to be discussed you would see several posts pop up about "I was moderated". You do not want that, well unless the site was about moderation.

    Most moderation issues are between 1 user and the mod team and have no reason to be openly discussed and others really have no reason to be involved.
    Last edited by Amorac; 2022-08-04 at 08:15 AM.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    I would rather go out fighting bullshit liek this than just sit quietly and let them trat me like a fucking doormat.

    There is a reason why I rarely post here and the Mods and that pile of refuse called scrapbot are that reason.

    The entire mod team here should be added to the Chilling effects web site.
    I mean it is a private website, just like if you go to a mall and start acting rowdy there - security will throw you out and nothing there will change. MMO-C was sold from a private owner Boubouille, the french Garfield-fan - to some other company entities (probably changed ownership few times by now).

    Which means they treat this website as a product now instead of fan-made forum - they want traffic here to generate revenue. So they have a set of rules ready that has been concluded that they work the best (even if not most user-friendly). It's the reality of things here...

  19. #19
    Brewmaster Naoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    But I disagree with you, Russia is not commiting genocide on Ukraine. You should look up what that word means.
    Maybe you should look up what that word means.

    "the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group."

    Since when did deliberately killing Ukrainian people not count as Genocide?

  20. #20
    At least this site doesn't preemptively lock threads containing controversial topics, unlike Wowhead


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •