Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Iain Glenn's a better actor than Affleck.
    To be fair, Iain Glenn is a better actor than pretty much any other Batman.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Too bad they got saddled with the hack slow-mo king, Snyder. Sadly, I can't think of a director that would know how to make a good Superman movie. Everyone has widely missed the margin. Either they try to copy Richard Donner, or The New 52 "with lots of punches and flying action for the young kids! BAM, KABLAMO!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I will say that Reeves does the most believable performance by giving Clark and Superman very different physical mannerisms...but it still doesn't change his face. It might fool casual observers...but anyone that had spent a good deal of time around both Clark and Superman would not be fooled at all. Especially if that person happened to be a pulitzer prize winning journalist.

Superman himself addresses this problem:

The comics have, at times, used the idea that there is a low-level hypnotic effect that prevents people from making the connection between Clark and Superman.
    It's hiding in plain sight. Lois is the only person who really spends that much time up close to Superman. Bear in mind the character and his disguise were created in 1939, before everyone had a high-definition camera in their back pocket, and most people of Metropolis, let alone the world, probably only got a glimpse of him as he did some heroics and then leapt tall buildings. Not to mention 99% of the people of Metropolis have no idea who Clark Kent is, and only see him as a dark-haired white man in a city populated by majorly... dark-haired white men who dress in a suit and tie? Mind you, the disguise should have improved with the times as the character transitioned through the silver age to modern times, but I'd just go with the excuse that he's always too fast for anyone to get a good picture of, and it would always come out in a blur.
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2022-08-05 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post

It's hiding in plain sight. Lois is the only person who really spends that much time up close to Superman.
    Yeah. Lois Lane. Investigative Journalist. Spends time with both Clark Kent and Superman. Fooled by glasses.

Mind you, the disguise should have improved with the times as the character transitioned through the silver age to modern times, but I'd just go with the excuse that he's always too fast for anyone to get a good picture of, and it would always come out in a blur.
    Except the Daily Planet has pictures of Superman on the front page often. Like, he sits down for interviews and shit.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Yeah. Lois Lane. Investigative Journalist. Spends time with both Clark Kent and Superman. Fooled by glasses.

Except the Daily Planet has pictures of Superman on the front page often. Like, he sits down for interviews and shit.
    It's a dumb disguise today, but when first conceived readers didn't scrutinize things that much in 1939. Especially back then, comics were for children. It is what it is. If writers have him sitting down for close-up interviews, or other medium like the Richard Donner movies, then it's to the detriment of their own stories rather than the integrity of the character's mythos.

bale was the best batman. cavill best superman imo.

Never though Cavil was a great actor, but he indeed looks a lot like Superman.

It's a dumb disguise today, but when first conceived readers didn't scrutinize things that much in 1939. Especially back then, comics were for children. It is what it is. If writers have him sitting down for close-up interviews, or other medium like the Richard Donner movies, then it's to the detriment of their own stories rather than the integrity of the character's mythos.
    It was always a dumb disguise. There isn't a kid that has ever read Superman comics that hasn't said to themselves "Why doesn't anyone notice that Clark Kent and Superman have the same face?". It might be more believable if Superman and Clark Kent weren't always hanging around the same people...but they do...and those people are supposed to be journalists.

It's the entire reason "Super-hypnosis" and "Hypnotic glasses" were created.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Idk, I actually quite enjoyed Pattinson as Batman. I really liked that he did more investigating rather than just beating the shit outta everyone. Cavill makes a good Superman because of the rigid personality of the character, which you often see in Cavill’s acting.
    Pattinson did a good job as a very young Batman. Affleck played the Frank Miller older Batman quite well. If only we could get a mix of

A) Afflecks playboy persona
    B) Pattinsons detective (which may have been more the director than the actor taking the "greatest detective alive" concept seriously)
    C) Bale's presence as Batman in the Dark Knight

You know, if we're wishing for things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Pattinson did a good job as a very young Batman. Affleck played the Frank Miller older Batman quite well. If only we could get a mix of

A) Afflecks playboy persona
    B) Pattinsons detective (which may have been more the director than the actor taking the "greatest detective alive" concept seriously)
    C) Bale's presence as Batman in the Dark Knight

You know, if we're wishing for things.
    I'd say Bale's playboy persona was better than Affleck's.

Also, the good thing about where Pattinson's Batman is is that they can develop all those things naturally. He can become a better detective, he can learn how to use his identity as Bruce Wayne to create a smokescreen, and he can hit the streets even harder now that he has a clearer purpose.

The biggest fault with both Bale's and Affleck's Batman is that neither of them was really that smart. Pattinson's Batman is at least showing signs of a thus-far mostly unrealized potential. Hopefully they build on that with the next film.

It was always a dumb disguise. There isn't a kid that has ever read Superman comics that hasn't said to themselves "Why doesn't anyone notice that Clark Kent and Superman have the same face?". It might be more believable if Superman and Clark Kent weren't always hanging around the same people...but they do...and those people are supposed to be journalists.

It's the entire reason "Super-hypnosis" and "Hypnotic glasses" were created.
    If you were alive in 1939 and most of the golden years of the character to know what kids were talking about, kudos. The concept certainly became dumber during the Silver Age as comic book readers became older, but for its time, a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet hiding in plain sight in the great Metropolitan area isn't that farfetched. It crossed my mind reading comics as a teenager, but it never made me suspend disbelief in a fictional universe filled with extra-terrestrials, metahumans, and most of Jack Kirby's Fourth World. I guess I just accepted it for what it is. Most people do otherwise he wouldn't be the most enduring superhero character in modern history.

I guess I just accepted it for what it is. Most people do otherwise he wouldn't be the most enduring superhero character in modern history.
    People accept it because that's just part of the character. Like the concept of hyper-jacked dudes running around wearing their underwear over costumes that are essentially painted on. It's all ridiculous, but it's accepted because we're used to it. Doesn't mean that stuff like that isn't downplayed or outright abandoned occasionally, precisely because of how silly it is. Especially when making the transition to live-action.

15+ Year Old Account
    Affleck ugh, his history of movies is cosy/corny crap. Good Will Hunting is the one good that pops to mind and that probably mostly due to Mat and him being involved in the wrting and screenplay.

To me Affleck is synonymous with shit like Pearl Harbor and with with an occasional "okey" performance in some thriller like Sum of all fears whatnot.
    He is talented now no question, just that I cant take him seriously having to put up with his movies since start.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I thought both of them were great in their roles. But while I'd argue Affleck wasn't irreplaceable, Henry Cavill is a godmode human who is irreplaceable, he is the best Superman not only for his physical attributes.

I'd love to see both of them return to their roles and I'd also love the Snyderverse continued. Especially after the Snyder's Cut for Justice League showed how much more awesome it could have been if they gave him creative freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Bring back George!

Don't you dare wish that evil upon us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threads View Post
    bale was the best batman.

"SWEAR TO MEEEEEEEE"

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Affleck ugh, his history of movies is cosy/corny crap. Good Will Hunting is the one good that pops to mind and that probably mostly due to Mat and him being involved in the wrting and screenplay.

To me Affleck is synonymous with shit like Pearl Harbor and with with an occasional "okey" performance in some thriller like Sum of all fears whatnot.
    He is talented now no question, just that I cant take him seriously having to put up with his movies since start.
    If we are judging actors based on the previous movies they have been in, rather than their potential ability to do a part well....... poor Robert Pattinson. I try not to judge like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I thought both of them were great in their roles. But while I'd argue Affleck wasn't irreplaceable, Henry Cavill is a godmode human who is irreplaceable, he is the best Superman not only for his physical attributes.

I'd love to see both of them return to their roles and I'd also love the Snyderverse continued. Especially after the Snyder's Cut for Justice League showed how much more awesome it could have been if they gave him creative freedom.
    Ugh, Snydercut was 4 hours of slow-mo, logical inconsistency, bad writing and character assasination.

Not saying Whedon made it that much better, but after watching the Snydercut I totally understood why the studio had Whedon hack it down.

I cannot honestly think of a single redeeming factor of the Snydercut that made it better than the crap Whedon put out. The movie as a whole was crap, but adding MORE crap to it that does nothing for the story doesn't make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Don't you dare wish that evil upon us.
    But it was the best film ever!

I like Cavil in the role because he has the perfect look for Superman (and because I have an insane man-crush on him, but that's just an aside).

Affleck was all right as an older Batman. He just doesn't have the raw gravitas or aged, apathetic, and grim wisdom I expect from the character. I also didn't care for the movies he was in, but that has more to do with the direction and costume than anything else. I want my Batman to be more detective and an agile and acrobatic combatant in a uniform he can move in, not a robotic dude who just punches everything as he waddles through a building because of the god-awful costume design and direction.

15+ Year Old Account
    If we are judging actors based on the previous movies they have been in, rather than their potential ability to do a part well....... poor Robert Pattinson. I try not to judge like that.
    I agree but I made it kinda clear that 95% of the movies he at least had an acting role is falls into the shit category.
    Hes better at screenplay/writing nowdays to be honest.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I cannot honestly think of a single redeeming factor of the Snydercut that made it better than the crap Whedon put out. The movie as a whole was crap, but adding MORE crap to it that does nothing for the story doesn't make it better.
    The Cyborg part of the story made sense. He was really the central character for the entire movie. I'm not sure it was worth slogging through four hours to figure that out though.

I also liked the end credit bit although it was completely superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The Cyborg part of the story made sense. He was really the central character for the entire movie. I'm not sure it was worth slogging through four hours to figure that out though.

I also liked the end credit bit although it was completely superfluous.
    I suppose the Cyborg addition wasn't horrible, however I think it still suffers from a major issue. Nobody who cares about Cyborg couldn't have told you the backstory Synder provided, and nobody who doesn't care needed it. The character in Whedon's version plays out 99% the same, you just miss a bit of backstory. It doesn't affect the movie at all, its just fluff that SHOULD have been covered in a Cyborg standalone film PRIOR to ever doing a team up movie.

I watched Synder's version with some non-superhero knowledgable people and none of them cared for the Cyborg or Flash backstories. It was just filler to them. Which makes sense why it was cut then.

The end scene.... ugh, I get it, make everyone go "ooooo Injustice!", but its not going to lead anywhere so it just fell flat for me. Jared Leto isn't enough of a draw for me to care and I already despised amber heard. It was filmed like a college film school project. It had no point and wasn't going anywhere..... just a "hey I want to make this".

And I like this story about when people complain about Superman and his disguise as Clark....

"I'll never forget the day Marilyn and I were walking around New York City, just having a stroll on a nice day. She loved New York because no one bothered her there like they did in Hollywood, she could put on her plain-jane clothes and no one would notice her. She loved that.

So as we we're walking down Broadway, she turns to me and says 'Do you want to see me become her?'

I didn't know what she meant but I just said 'Yes'- and then I saw it.

I don't know how to explain what she did because it was so very subtle, but she turned something on within herself that was almost like magic. And suddenly cars were slowing and people were turning their heads and stopping to stare. They were recognizing that this was Marilyn Monroe as if she pulled off a mask or something, even though a second ago nobody noticed her.

I had never seen anything like it before."~ Amy Greene, wife of Marilyn's personal photographer Milton Greene

(throw that in with things like Cavill dressed in a superman shirt going utterly unrecognized in Times Square, Hugh Jackman not getting noticed while DRESSED as wolverine, etc..... it is not so crazy)