Poll: Do you like working from anywhere you want?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'd wager the only talking heads against Work from Home are those secretly on the payroll of every gas company ever who would just love every person in America using their cars more. I mean, who cares about reducing their commute, saving on gas, and reducing pollution and traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Midterm Voter View Post
    Malcolm Gladwell takes time off from shilling for reactionaries to slam working from home: 'What have you reduced your life to?'
    I don't even get what he's asking.

I've reduced my life to...spending more time at home if I choose to...?

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I'm sure you had a point intended but, yeah....you can come attempt to be a pedantic cunt in my kitchen and see how well that goes for you there.
    What will happen? Be specific.
    But more importantly: Do you work in a kitchen?

If not, what does your statement have to do with anything in this thread?

If you do work in a kitchen, I do sometimes watch Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - so please tell me which episode it is feature on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I just want the departments under me to run well and efficiently tbh. But if you go from working 40 tickets a day in office in 15-20 a day WFH. I can't actually justify having you work from home it's just, the worst lol. I'm all for WFH I even prefer it myself but it has to make business sense :/
    Even if it productivity gains and losses vary that seems like a pretty drastic drop if it is across the board.
    Are the people new or is there some other specific issue?

As for managers I can also understand that one issue is longer work-days (for the managers) as people work less regular hours https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...WorkReport.pdf

Be great if I could do aircraft maintenance from home... hmph!

yep, flex work is the key/future. My team has hours, but I don't care when they work/where they work.. their goal is to be productive and get XYZ done; long as that happens I don't care if they go to a kid's play, see a doctor, lunch with the family... take a long mid-day break then work a bit that evening. The best part is being on weekly recruiting calls, and other IT departments are like I can't get anyone even to apply; meanwhile, I swim in applicants and can be choosy to get the best person for the role. I wish the left would take remote work incentives as a green initiative - less cars on the road, less office space needed, convert excess office space into affordable housing etc.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Be great if I could do aircraft maintenance from home... hmph!
    Yeah, a lot of jobs just don't have the luxury that the desk work people have, sadly.

We've run into this problem with trying to give people some morale boosts by way of options regarding working at home, flex hours, and so on. Except a large chunk of the workforce we have can't do any of that. So we have all these people in administration - who are already the highest paid people - giving themselves all these perks and the field people are just left hanging. It's a bit of a dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work in a warehouse where I need to be there to move stuff around and count goods and have them moved to different areas of the country and load them onto trailers., unfortunately I don't have the luxury of choice to work from home. Those in the offices can maybe get that privilege, but us lot on the bottom floor cannot. Unless my home becomes big enough to store large road and industrial piping :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-08-14 at 08:49 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

For the past few weeks I've been working in a scrap yard, outside in the heat and humidity, on my feet for 8hrs. Grunt work, but it'll do until better comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Midterm Voter View Post
    Reminder, Malcolm Gladwell is the Joe Rogan for New Yorker subscribers.

Malcolm Gladwell takes time off from shilling for reactionaries to slam working from home: 'What have you reduced your life to?'

Also, the guy that everyone in the office hates. Refuses to acknowledge waiters. Quotes Cicero in his email signature.
    you could maybe snip it to where he starts talking about what you want us to hear.... instead of asking us to watch an hour and 40 minutes of babble to find it...

As a manager my view on W@H is biased. The vast majority of employees I've seen can't self manage. Their productivity drops like a rock when they work from home.
    They probably didn't like the job but needed money.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, reading these people making up "problems" with working from home that don't exist or only occur in very rare instances. It's hilarious. Overall work from home has increased productivity. Get over it. This is the 21st century after all @Forogil. We need modern solutions, not outdated workplace requirements of the 20th century.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Holy shit, reading these people making up "problems" with working from home that don't exist or only occur in very rare instances.
    The problems aren't rare when 38% report feeling less (or significantly less) productive - it's matter of identifying the issues and see how it can be avoided (mostly people who feel less productivity working from home don't do it; but new employees also need some special care - and then there's mixing being in office and working from home to fix some of the issues - but that means having multiple setups for working that costs more).

For equipment the tax issues can, of course, be solved - and people can have ergonomic setups at home if they care - but too many still think that working hunched over a lap-top is a good idea.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2022-08-15 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The problems aren't rare when 38% report feeling less (or significantly less) productive - it's matter of identifying the issues and see how it can be avoided (mostly people who feel less productivity working from home don't do it; but new employees also need some special care - and then there's mixing being in office and working from home to fix some of the issues - but that means having multiple setups for working that costs more).

For equipment the tax issues can, of course, be solved - and people can have ergonomic setups at home if they care - but too many still think that working hunched over a lap-top is a good idea.
    Working from home is a challenge for managers. Who are now required to actually organize the workloads correctly and direct their employees well enough that they are able to do what needs to be done without constant micromanaging. Managers need to instruct and empower their employees to work autonomous. Most of the time it's not the fault of the employees if productivity drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They probably didn't like the job but needed money.
    I mean that's fine, but at least do the baseline lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Holy shit, reading these people making up "problems" with working from home that don't exist or only occur in very rare instances. It's hilarious. Overall work from home has increased productivity. Get over it. This is the 21st century after all @Forogil. We need modern solutions, not outdated workplace requirements of the 20th century.
    Yes we're all making up problems for funzies because we hate employees working from home. You're on to us /sarcasm.

I mean that's fine, but at least do the baseline lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we're all making up problems for funzies because we hate employees working from home. You're on to us /sarcasm.
    It's true but I mean like if you're depressed about your job you're not gonna be as jazzed to do it especially if you can't find another job so you feel stuck. There's an ungodly amount of people who feel like that in their jobs even today as we speak.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

At a local level, San Francisco is probably on the extreme side. Only 39% of the workers in the downtown Business District have returned to the office. Many of them only for 1 - 2 days a week.

Economically, that is bad for the city. Pre-pandemic, the downtown Business District accounted for 75% of the city’s GDP. Now the district is dealing with high office vacancy rate and dying small businesses due to lack of foot traffic. It is affecting the commercial and residential markets in the area also. Median days on the market for homes in South of Market and Mission Districts, which used to be the hottest markets in San Francisco, are 44 and 28 days, respectively. Median sale prices are also lower than pre-pandemic for both districts.

Will it become another Detroit? Probably not. Businesses in the residential districts, such as Richmond and Sunset, are doing better than pre-pandemic. All the people working from home probably contributed to that. Median days on the market for homes in Inner Sunset are 12 days, and median sale prices are up from 1.5M pre-pandemic to 2.6M in July, 2022.

On a personal level, both my wife and I work from home. We love it. My sister is a radiologist with UCSF. She is still mostly working from home. The benefit of being a radiologist. Although, UCSF wants her to go back to the office full time in October. Except she does not have an office anymore. In 2020 it was converted to a Covid ward in anticipation of the Covid hospitalization surge that never arrived in San Francisco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    The shocker of the century

Some employers have figured out their employees work better when they're given some autonomy.

BUT this could be me. I mean, maybe there are people here who love going to a location, so ill pass the poll off to you guys.

LMK what you think.

Link to Spotify HR announcement: https://hrblog.spotify.com/2021/02/1...from-anywhere/

Link to article: https://fortune.com/2022/08/02/spoti...d-remote-work/
    I had to vote yes, but there needed to be a 4th option.

I like the freedom of being able to do my work from home but sometimes you need the structure of having to go to the office too.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Working from home is a challenge for managers. Who are now required to actually organize the workloads correctly and direct their employees well enough that they are able to do what needs to be done without constant micromanaging. Managers need to instruct and empower their employees to work autonomous.
    Without actually seeing their employees work, and handling the fact that people can more freely chose work-hours so that there are even more calls after the normal work-day.

Seems quite difficult, and no wonder that many managers chose to do part of the work themselves instead.

Will managers learn to do a better job? Possibly

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently you have to subscribe to download tracks and you can only listen to what you downloaded while you are subscribed. It's pathetic.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2022-08-18 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Apparently you have to subscribe to download tracks and you can only listen to what you downloaded while you are subscribed. It's pathetic.
    You should think of them as Netflix for music (the major difference is that you are more likely to actually find the thing you want to listen to; due to a less fragmented market).

Similar restrictions - except that Spotify already has the ad-variant (there are rumours for Netflix).

And it is certainly more convenient than older formats; I have my old CDs ripped on my computer - but I still listen to the spotify-version when I actually listen to them. /shrug