Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Woke is one of those terms, that has lost all meaning to what it was supposed to represent. Now its just word used to describe something people do not like/agree with because people they do hate like/partake in said thing. As usual of terminology used by those sort of people. :P

I eat plant based foods sometimes because I find it a better alternative... except chicken, You cannot get me to replace chicken :P

I stopped drinking milk, now drink more alternative milk. Plant based. So yea...

and if what I eat is a problem to some people, then more people need to go outside and breathe in some air. No one is taking away what you love, some people just prefer alternatives.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-08-05 at 09:04 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

None of these apply. Again, less of an "innovation" than KFC adding the Double Down to their menu, because that was at least an actually new product on the market.
    I kind of know what they are getting at. It's not so much about 'innovation' but a lot of conservative types don't like change in general, or maybe it's a Southern thing (some would say same thing). They resist change even when it's benign/harmless/only better for them. Met a lot of older people who complain about xyz being changed for the simple fact it got changed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I kind of know what they are getting at. It's not so much about 'innovation' but a lot of conservative types don't like change in general, or maybe it's a Southern thing (some would say same thing). They resist change even when it's benign/harmless/only better for them. Met a lot of older people who complain about xyz being changed for the simple fact it got changed.
    I just can't get over the smoothbrained nature of the reaction from the reactionaries. They can literally keep stuffing their faces with meat as if nothing changed, yet they're boycotting a restaurant they supposedly like to..."own the libs"? Their loss I guess, though I can't say I remember Cracker Barrel ever being anything noteworthy in terms of the quality of their food.

this is on the level of those idiots who burn their air Jordan's and smash $300 Keurig coffee makers. just the dumbest variety of spite that exists.

- - - Updated - - -

"you want me to eat plant based food!?"
    *mainlines a vat of corn syrup*

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    What a weird and pointless thing to be upset about. How is it being on the menu bothering anyone?
    Who knows. Snowflakes melt even in cool temperatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

15+ Year Old Account
    God forbid Americans gets less obese.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    God forbid Americans gets less obese.
    For the beyond burger, there's 0 cholesterol, only about 20% less calories compared to 80/20 beef, less fat (and less saturated fat), with less protein and more carbs. Definitely better for you than beef. If it wasn't for the cholesterol in beef, it'd still be better for you than beef, but it'd be close.

The impossible burger (which is what cracker barrel is introducing) has 0 cholesterol, 10% less calories, and 15% less fat as 80/20, about 20% more saturated fats, a lot more salt, and more carbs (I should note, beef has no carbs, which is why I'm not giving a % here) with about 30% less protein. It's largely a wash, depending on your cholesterol/sodium levels and your carb/protein goals. For me, it'd be definitively less healthy than 80/20 beef, let alone leaner meat, but that's because of a low occurrence genotype that affects my cholesterol uptake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Viconia View Post
    It seems the term 'woke' is suffering inflation as it's developing into a catch-all phrase for things people consider annoying in our current society. Such is the way with labels.
    Woke has become an -ism. When you don't have an arguement, just scream the label.

As far as it being healthier..... Lizzo is a vegan. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Woke has become an -ism. When you don't have an arguement, just scream the label.

As far as it being healthier..... Lizzo is a vegan. /shrug
    Just because it's healthy doesn't mean it won't make you morbidly obese if you eat enough of it. It is always calories in calories out it's just better for your system is all.

Too much sodium in a lot of that stuff anyway.

I'm so tired of living in a world where DIETARY choices are politicized... ffs

not that I would eat that, not because its plant based I eat a LOT of plant based proteins along with meat, but because I just don't like it and haven't gone out to eat in years at this point anyways. but that's just me - it exists for other people as it should.

but just... isn't it exhausting, politicizing every little thing?

I don't know about "woke", but fake meats are generally garbage, both from a culinary and nutritious perspective. I can imagine a world where that's not the case, but right now, these are trash products. There are tons of excellent vegetarian meals, but trying to make a fake bacon cheeseburger just results in a poor quality product. If it must be a veggie burger, make a good black burger rather than the weird mystery non-meat.

That said, I don't care what other people eat. Applebee's still exists and I don't give a shit about that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't understand the appeal of fake meat. It's flat out depressing compared to real meat, and if it's for the vegans/vegetarians, I thought the whole point was not eating any meat or animal products ever again, yet people constantly come up with this weird stuff to imitate the stuff people swore off of as some kind of big win for them. It doesn't really bother me that people eat it, just why it exists is what I have questions about since I can't see a market for it that makes sense.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Because for a lot of vegetarians/vegans, it isn't because they don't like the taste of meat, it's because they have issue with the fact an animal died. So having a burger/sausage/whatever that didn't used to be part of an animal is better.

The only real downside to a store bought vegetarian/vegan fake meat is typically how overly processed they are.
    They should just get around to growing cows and chickens without brains. Nothing "suffered" during its existence. You could probably also farm them far more efficiently and would take up less space than the space required to raise actual cows and chickens or the acreage required to raise the plant crops needed to create fake hamburgers.

But until then... if people want to buy fake meat and companies want to make hamburgers with it, let them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't know about "woke", but fake meats are generally garbage, both from a culinary and nutritious perspective.
    To be fair, that fits most of Cracker Barrell's menu so the fake sausages will blend right in.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If something wasn't accessible to prior generations it's still a relatively new innovation.

The Impossible Food sausage was not a product that already existed at Cracker Barrels. The article said this was their "first plant-based protein".
    If a restaurant never served chocolate cake before and suddenly adds it to the menu...are they "innovating"?
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-08-08 at 01:43 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I had a McPlant Burger and Big Mac from Macdonald's last week, a friend who doesn't eat meat had been raving about them, so I decided to try one. Going back and forth between the 2 it was really difficult to taste much difference between the patties. I enjoyed both and will order a Mcplant again.

Guess I must also be woke now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I had a McPlant Burger and Big Mac from Macdonald's last week, a friend who doesn't eat meat had been raving about them, so I decided to try one. Going back and forth between the 2 it was really difficult to taste much difference between the patties. I enjoyed both and will order a Mcplant again.

Guess I must also be woke now.
    They're putting chemicals in the McPlants that are turning the frogs gay.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

my mate made some home made lasagne with mushroom based filling, it tasted pretty good tbh

if i didn't already know it wasn't meat, i'm not sure how long it would have taken to figure it out. it tasted slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They're putting chemicals in the McPlants that are turning the frogs gay.

Better start pumping Alex Jones supplements directly into the water supply then!
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.