Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The products I've had are actually pretty good. The texture is close enough and to be honest a lot of the flavor comes from the condiments anyway, so it's really not that different. If I eat both side by side it's clear which is the real meat but it's good enough that I find myself buying it more.

Pretty funny to see it politicized.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Anything that implies that humanity's current usage trends of meat, pollutants, automobiles, fossil fuels, deforestation, water, and... well, resources in general, isn't 100% optimal or should perhaps even be increased is seen as "woke."

Because if you imply that fake meat is good, you imply that real meat is bad

And if you imply that real meat is bad, you imply that producing real meat is bad

And if you imply that producing real meat is bad, you imply that producing real meat is polluting or wasteful

And if you imply that producing real meat is polluting or wasteful, you imply that pollution and resource waste is a problem.

And if you imply that pollution and resource waste is a problem, you imply that global warming might be a problem.

And if you imply that global warming might be a problem, you imply that the liberals might be right.

And if you imply that the liberals might be right, you imply that they as conservatives are wrong.

You'll find that, applying that rough train of logic, you can suss out the reason for most conservative outrage.

All that being said, while the article makes a to-do about the negative reception it also notes people that are in support of it. Now Cracker Barrel is a pretty yee-yee ass place, but I doubt that a bit of negative reception will be particularly impactful. The fate of these impossible meat substitutes lie more heavily in whether they're able to transcend being a fad or not, and not whether one particular chain's redneck patrons don't personally order it.
    You don't even have to go this far. You just have to go to "if you imply meat is bad", because if you imply meat is then that means they are bad, and they're not bad! Them liking meat is fine! How dare you tell them they can't like meat?! Fuck you, you woke hippie bastard! /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    There are so many sensible alternatives for breakfast that don't involve meat, why not eat that instead of fake-meat?
    Some of that is even healthy!

And in terms of CO2: breakfast sausages are unlikely to be the worst offenders - they are usually not close to 100% meat, and the meat isn't beef.
    Breakfast sausage is delicious. If they have a fake-meat alternative that tastes just like it, I'm definitely down to try it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what the big deal is, they are *not* taking real sausage off the menu, just adding plant based items as an option as countless other restaurants have. So that right off the bat shows this is a nonsense complaint. I assume the complainers are misleading people that they are taking real meat off the menu, since that's the only way anyone would agree with them.

So the article sounds like an overreaction to a few loud but outnumbered voices on social media, which happens a lot online nowadays. Every few days there is some topic trending online of "ban x" or "boycott y" company, usually for completely ridiculous reasons like this. But since the majority of people don't have a problem with it there's no real world effect on sales for any of these companies at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They should just get around to growing cows and chickens without brains. Nothing "suffered" during its existence.
    That is debatable under current industrial standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I mean...I honestly doubt that, at least for a very long time, that would even be economically viable given all the functions that the "farm" would need to take over on the animals behalf.

We'll be growing animal meat in labs for human consumption first, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    We'll be growing animal meat in labs for human consumption first, I imagine.
    We already do...but I guess you mean for commercial use?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    We already do...but I guess you mean for commercial use?
    I mean on industrial scales, not testing etc. Unless I've missed some plants opening >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I might be wrong but I think they just want that urban legend that KFC changed their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC because they were just using chickens without heads and couldn't call them chickens.

Anything that puts me in closer proximity of Vegans who won't shut the fuck up about being Vegan deserves it and I hope they burn in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    Anything that puts me in closer proximity of Vegans who won't shut the fuck up about being Vegan deserves it and I hope they burn in hell.
    I'm just imagining getting triggered by a veggie burger and shit and wondering how on earth one can be so sentitive.

I'm just imagining getting triggered by a veggie burger and shit and wondering how on earth one can be so sentitive.
    You get away from me with that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    You get away from me with that shit.
    What happens if you get within 5 feet of a veggie burger or fake plant-based sausage? Like, I've walked by them a lot in the meat section at my grocery store and I can't say I've ever spontaneously combusted or suddenly had a desire to start eating grass or anything.

What happens if you get within 5 feet of a veggie burger or fake plant-based sausage? Like, I've walked by them a lot in the meat section at my grocery store and I can't say I've ever spontaneously combusted or suddenly had a desire to start eating grass or anything.
    I think the push back comes from inflation and the idea of pushing alternative foods like insects in their place.

It's a fight between two sub groups of crazies. The only problem people have with veggie foods is when they market them as tasting just like regular food people who become curious always end up biting into something at best off tasting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how fake meat is 'woke'?
    It's not. The reaction to Cracker Barrel is yet another swing at politicizing something that doesn't need to be politicized. If people want to order a meatless alternative breakfast sausage (which is pretty good by the way) then Cracker Barrel is only meeting a market need by putting it on the menu. Assigning political meaning to every goddamn thing is so tiring. Pointless too since no one is going to remember any of this six months from now.

Besides being awake is better than being asleep at the wheel.

For anyone questioning my bias: I've had a couple of Impossible Burgers at BK and found them just fine (to my surprise at first). I'm not a vegan by any means, just curious.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'm personaly not a fan of vegan meat substitutes. my problem is not even the taste, they taste just fine to me, the problem is that they make me feel like absolute shit. like... I can handle seitan that tastes like seitan just fine (so no crapton of additives in it) and while I need to pop an enzyme pill when eating tofu, I can eat it and feel afterwards just fine as well. beans can be a bit more difficult but as long as I space them out a few days apart, I can deal.

but those fake meats, man... they mess me up.

anyways, happy for those that can eat them and not feel like crap after. options are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    I think the push back comes from inflation and the idea of pushing alternative foods like insects in their place.

It's a fight between two sub groups of crazies. The only problem people have with veggie foods is when they market them as tasting just like regular food people who become curious always end up biting into something at best off tasting.
    What's wrong with eating insects?

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    If you're (the royal you) connecting vegetable based food with eating bugs, that's a big "you" problem.

If you're (the royal you) connecting vegetable based food with eating bugs, that's a big "you" problem.
    I'm explaining why its considered "woke" try observing the world and listening to people even those you disagree with. It helps you understand it better.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You didn't really explain anything. You just decided that "push back" against plant-based food is based on inflation and some idea that insects are seriously being pushed onto people.

The term "woke" quite literally doesn't apply. People really need to stop saying things are "woke" when they don't know what it means.
    I didn't explain anything because I summed up what the pushback was from. Its akin to saying the sky is blue.

It is simply a statement it's not something I'm going to debate on.

10+ Year Old Account
    woke and plant based food having nothing in common, seriously the term 'woke' is butchered beyond belief when it used for something like this lol. What's plant based food got to do with standing up for racial injustice? lol

The term woke is so misused you are better off calling a Teddy Bear a Car Engine.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance