Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I don't think Cracker Barrel removed any meat items from their menu, they just added a plant-based one as I understand it. So it seems that the people bitching about this move are the ones who are trying to force their beliefs on everyone else.
    This is correct. Just some delicate snowflakes triggered by the option to order fake meats if they want. Or not, and keep eating mediocre meat sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is correct. Just some delicate snowflakes triggered by the option to order fake meats if they want. Or not, and keep eating mediocre meat sausage.
    to be fair... those sausages are mediocre whether its plant based or meat based. but yeah, no one is forcing anyone to eat plant based one if they don't want to

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    to be fair... those sausages are mediocre whether its plant based or meat based. but yeah, no one is forcing anyone to eat plant based one if they don't want to
    It's fucking Cracker Barrel, lol. It's like the Cheesecake Factory and shit, all aggressively mediocre food at best. That's not hating on it, I love me some Denny's breakfast and that place is total trash. That's what gets me, these people are so worked up over a literal nonthingberder, and an extremely average and mediocre nothingberder. They could get a better meal at just about any family run restaurant in town, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    The price points are still too high also. The real ground beef on average is priced half of the typical plant-based ground meat product.

For a dollar more than the price of the typical plant-based sausage products, I can get duck liver Chinese sausage at the local grocery store.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-09-01 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    I don't think Cracker Barrel removed any meat items from their menu, they just added a plant-based one as I understand it. So it seems that the people bitching about this move are the ones who are trying to force their beliefs on everyone else.
    To be fair, there are precedents otherwise - like when Volkswagen pulled their made-in-house sausage from the company cantina and only left the plant-based option. It gives some credibility to fears that introducing the meatless option is just the first step.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-to-s...t-t-1847563981

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how fake meat is 'woke'?
    You could ask those several "commenters" at least

This is so stupid... a lot of dishes, especially in poorer communities, are just vegetables with meat on the odd occasion.

Example, Indian food. I absolutely love Indian food. They've got a huge variety of dishes that doesn't have meat in it. And I eat meat all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love faux meat, just purchased some last night called Ming's Bing's Fiesta Bings.

Like all movements that lead us toward a brighter future, it will face opposition by those stuck in the past. It's a lot like gay rights really, you can let the movement progress and be happy for it, doesn't mean you need to start fucking men. If you don't want to eat fake meat then don't. Just don't be upset if people think you're on the wrong side of history if you downright hate its existence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's fucking Cracker Barrel, lol. It's like the Cheesecake Factory and shit, all aggressively mediocre food at best. That's not hating on it, I love me some Denny's breakfast and that place is total trash. That's what gets me, these people are so worked up over a literal nonthingberder, and an extremely average and mediocre nothingberder. They could get a better meal at just about any family run restaurant in town, probably.
    Good God, I've never eaten worse grits in my life the one time I ate at a cracker barrel.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    To be fair, there are precedents otherwise - like when Volkswagen pulled their made-in-house sausage from the company cantina and only left the plant-based option. It gives some credibility to fears that introducing the meatless option is just the first step.

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-to-s...t-t-1847563981
    This is kinda missing what Volkswagen is aiming for though. They're pulling the meat because of concerns over emissions, which is something Volkswagen has gotten a lot of flack for since they got caught lying and cheating on emission tests with their cars. Basically it's a diversion tactic, they're doing it so that when anyone points at their vehicle emissions as being bad for the environment, they can say "Ahh, but meat farming is worse, and we did something about that, so we're better about it than other car makers right??".

It's a marketing stunt, not anything to do with the plant-based alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    This is kinda missing what Volkswagen is aiming for though. They're pulling the meat because of concerns over emissions, which is something Volkswagen has gotten a lot of flack for since they got caught lying and cheating on emission tests with their cars. Basically it's a diversion tactic, they're doing it so that when anyone points at their vehicle emissions as being bad for the environment, they can say "Ahh, but meat farming is worse, and we did something about that, so we're better about it than other car makers right??".

It's a marketing stunt, not anything to do with the plant-based alternatives.
    Correct, but it's still something those fearing for meat can point at especially as most people do not know the context. I didn't, so thank you for adding it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Correct, but it's still something those fearing for meat can point at especially as most people do not know the context. I didn't, so thank you for adding it.
    Which is what makes it an effective marketing stunt. Even if there is pushback over it (And there is pushback, nobody actually seems particularly happy about it) a lot of it is focused on "Those woke vegans taking away our food!" rather than "Volkswagen trying a ploy to distract attention from something illegal they did."

I'm a meat eater myself. I don't particularly have a moral stake in the matter (I don't think it's unethical to eat meat, though I do think some of the specific ranching practices are deplorable and unethical). I simply refuse to pay a premium price for a plant-based 'meat' that doesn't have what I'd consider to be premium quality yet. I am happy to see such foods existing and improving, and am hopeful that in my lifetime they may get to a point where they can genuinely replace animal meat, but that day has not come nor do I expect it in the immediate future. Whenever I see people talking about the two products being somehow incompatible with each other I immediately look for the agenda they're pushing, because I only see benefits to having both options available.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not woke, weed.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Plant based "meat" is a hypocritical abomination. Like if you're vegetarian or vegan, why do you need to consume something that taste like meat but isn't. You already pledged your life to eating from the earth, might as well own up to it.

It's like they're too high and mighty to eat Becky the cow but don't wanna miss out on the deliciousness of meat so instead opt in to eat plant paste infused with chemical flavoring.

You know for sure it ain't for health reasons since god knows how you can make grass taste like mediocre meat.

Fake meat consumers are confused annoying individuals, like the woke crowd, which explains the comparison.

Nah, plant-based food is dumb. Slaughtering the animals yourself and then cooking it is the best feeling in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I'll help you out on one point. Vegetarians/vegans eat plant based products like a vegan steak or sausage because they actually like the taste of the meat it aims to replicate. They just don't want to be part of the violence that goes along with the real deal. Nothing confused or hypocritical about that.
    Actually, huge numbers of animals are killed in the production of plant-based foods. Rodents are trapped, insects are poisoned, deer are shot, and it's very often not quick or painless like with the captive bolt at a slaughterhouse where it's (usually) one click and it's done. Vegan food is not violence-free, unless you want to grow the crops yourself, and hope that no pests touch it.
    Last edited by Feronar; 2022-09-17 at 08:30 PM.

My problem with livestock-based protein is that they require disproportionate amounts of resources to produce. They take up nearly 80% of the global agriculture land area and produce less than 20% of the world's supply of calories. In the US, urban areas take up 3.6% of the land, crops for direct human consumption 20%, crops for animal feed and grazing land a whopping 41%. Iowa and Texas are the 2nd and 3rd agricultural states after California, and 90% of the crops produced there are for livestock consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    My problem with livestock-based protein is that they require disproportionate amounts of resources to produce. They take up nearly 80% of the global agriculture land area and produce less than 20% of the world's supply of calories. In the US, urban areas take up 3.6% of the land, crops for direct human consumption 20%, crops for animal feed and grazing land a whopping 41%. Iowa and Texas are the 2nd and 3rd agricultural states after California, and 90% of the crops produced there are for livestock consumption.
    That is a misleading, gross oversimplification. For example, most of the plant food produced for livestock consumption is a byproduct of plant food produced for human consumption, and is inedible or indigestible by humans. Humans can only digest the corn kernels, the husk and the rest of the plant are indigestible to humans and would otherwise go to waste if not fed to livestock. It's a similar story with other food crops.

Quote Originally Posted by Feronar View Post
    That is a misleading, gross oversimplification. For example, most of the plant food produced for livestock consumption is a byproduct of plant food produced for human consumption, and is inedible or indigestible by humans. Humans can only digest the corn kernels, the husk and the rest of the plant are indigestible to humans and would otherwise go to waste if not fed to livestock. It's a similar story with other food crops.
    According to Iowa Corn.

• Only one percent of corn planted in the United States is sweet corn.
    • 99 percent of corn grown in Iowa is “Field Corn”. When Iowa’s corn farmers deliver corn from the field, it’s “Field Corn”. Not the delicious sweet corn you might enjoy on the cob or in a can.
    • Field corn is the classic big ears of yellow dented corn you see dried and harvested in the fall. It’s called “dent corn” because of the distinctive dent that forms on the kernel as the corn dries.
    • While a small portion of “Field Corn” is processed for use as corn cereal, corn starch, corn oil and corn syrup for human consumption, it is primarily used for livestock feed, ethanol production and manufactured goods. It’s considered a grain.
    • Sweet corn is what people purchase fresh, frozen or canned for eating. It’s consumed as a vegetable. Unlike “Field Corn”, which is harvested when the kernels are dry and fully mature, sweet corn is picked when immature.

The same goes for alfalfa grown in the US. The vast majority is used for livestock feed.

I have never tried it. However, my wife is from Illinois. According to her, field corn is pretty much inedible as far as human consumption is concerned. Like eating cardboard.

1+ Year Old Account
    No. Food is food. No one should be judged based on what food they prefer.

However, that becomes a problem when ACTIVISM is involved. "Eat the bugs, you planet destroyer!". And of course only the peasants should eat the bugs, highly unlikely Bill Gates will go anywhere near it. Always the peasants have to obey. The Prohibition? Only the peasants weren't allowed to drink, the nobles had the whiskey on their tables in plain sight. The lockdowns? Only the peasants had to stay in their homes, the nobles partied and were often exposed for doing so by the media. Crickets? Only the peasants have to eat bugs and worms, the nobles will continue to enjoy their pork and beef.

EAT THE BUGS, PEASANTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    No. Food is food. No one should be judged based on what food they prefer.

However, that becomes a problem when ACTIVISM is involved. "Eat the bugs, you planet destroyer!". And of course only the peasants should eat the bugs, highly unlikely Bill Gates will go anywhere near it. Always the peasants have to obey. The Prohibition? Only the peasants weren't allowed to drink, the nobles had the whiskey on their tables in plain sight. The lockdowns? Only the peasants had to stay in their homes, the nobles partied and were often exposed for doing so by the media. Crickets? Only the peasants have to eat bugs and worms, the nobles will continue to enjoy their pork and beef.

EAT THE BUGS, PEASANTS!
    Do you realize that in other cultures on the planets insects are already treated as food?