Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Are we talking Discord's ToS? Well, in the end, Discord can if seeing fit, shut any community down if they wish. They are already breaking WoW ToS, and just like on MMO-Champion, some fansites rather just shut it down right away if it breaks a supporting game's ToS.
    I don't see why Discord would bother enforcing another company's ToS... seems like it opens them up for liability that you'd think they would want to shy away from. It's far more likely, imo, that these are automated bans that will get turned over once an actual human being looks at them.

  2. #22
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I don't see why Discord would bother enforcing another company's ToS... seems like it opens them up for liability that you'd think they would want to shy away from. It's far more likely, imo, that these are automated bans that will get turned over once an actual human being looks at them.
    Dunno. WoWhead and MMO-champion, and other sites that offer fanservice options to WoW warn people about the subject of breaking Blizzard's ToS and request that it is not discussed either.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I don't see why Discord would bother enforcing another company's ToS... seems like it opens them up for liability that you'd think they would want to shy away from. It's far more likely, imo, that these are automated bans that will get turned over once an actual human being looks at them.
    This type of stuff is specifically built into discords ToS themselves. Twitch does the exact same thing which is why you see when people hack they instantly get booted off of twitch.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Dunno. WoWhead and MMO-champion, and other sites that offer fanservice options to WoW warn people about the subject of breaking Blizzard's ToS and request that it is not discussed either.
    If the bans stick it opens the door to have guild communities banned for mentioning boosting as well. Considering boosting itself isn't against Blizzard's ToS, you'd think they'd want to avoid that particular Pandora's Box but who knows. The demand for boosting isn't going anywhere so like you had said they'll probably just move to a different platform if Discord ends up no longer viable.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm just saying gamepass is their a golden child, they are not going make it a less valuable proposition by keeping the token. When they inevitably add World of Warcraft to gamepass you're going to see a huge influx in new World of Warcraft players and it will breathe new life into the game. I also see people saying that none of this stuff will happen because they have other mmos with vip subs blah blah blah but the truth of the matter is nobody gives a shit about those other MMO's like they do Warcraft and they not have the brand power that World of Warcraft has.

    Bringing World of Warcraft to gamepass would slaughter the competition.
    anything handled through the WoW token is more money for Blizzard then accessing that service 'normally'.

    If in future gamepass includes a WoW sub and you can buy gamepass with the WoW token it will earn MS more money then if you couldn't by gamepass with the token, simply because of the conversion rate between real cash and tokens.

    Tokens actively multiple income, its not going to go away.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    If the bans stick it opens the door to have guild communities banned for mentioning boosting as well. Considering boosting itself isn't against Blizzard's ToS, you'd think they'd want to avoid that particular Pandora's Box but who knows. The demand for boosting isn't going anywhere so like you had said they'll probably just move to a different platform if Discord ends up no longer viable.
    Discord will uphold the bans for the same reason everyone else does. Because so long as the ban requests are reasonable its not worth the massive legal fees to fight it.

    Discord has no interest in having Blizzard, or any other company/government, suing Discord under the guise of aiding in the distribution or access to 'illegal' activities. And that includes anything against the ToS.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  6. #26
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    If the bans stick it opens the door to have guild communities banned for mentioning boosting as well. Considering boosting itself isn't against Blizzard's ToS, you'd think they'd want to avoid that particular Pandora's Box but who knows. The demand for boosting isn't going anywhere so like you had said they'll probably just move to a different platform if Discord ends up no longer viable.
    They've already made a section for that at Blizzard. Boosting that does not require payment of any sort is permitted. And Discord rather want to be in the good books than be under the category of hiding people that breaks the ToS.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    They've already made a section for that at Blizzard. Boosting that does not require payment of any sort is permitted. And Discord rather want to be in the good books than be under the category of hiding people that breaks the ToS.
    Yeah, seems likely. /shrug

    I was trying to find the "multiple sources" from the front page article which suggested this was Blizzard itself and not the result of mass reporting but couldn't find anything. I still maintain they'll try to rebrand their communities on Discord before leaving the platform.

  8. #28
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Yeah, seems likely. /shrug

    I was trying to find the "multiple sources" from the front page article which suggested this was Blizzard itself and not the result of mass reporting but couldn't find anything. I still maintain they'll try to rebrand their communities on Discord before leaving the platform.
    Well, a free boost group I'm in is all fine. They, of course, have whiners who immigrated from the others.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm just saying gamepass is their a golden child, they are not going make it a less valuable proposition by keeping the token. When they inevitably add World of Warcraft to gamepass you're going to see a huge influx in new World of Warcraft players and it will breathe new life into the game. I also see people saying that none of this stuff will happen because they have other mmos with vip subs blah blah blah but the truth of the matter is nobody gives a shit about those other MMO's like they do Warcraft and they not have the brand power that World of Warcraft has.

    Bringing World of Warcraft to gamepass would slaughter the competition.
    ESO is in Gamepass, and it still has it's subscription, expansions, and predatory cash shop (which is even worse than WoW and XIV ones combined) so no, even if they would put WoW in GP, it won't change anything.

    Besides, if WoW is in Gamepass, the only way to profit of WoW is by microtransactions, and token is their best selling micro at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by richardhuntr
    It should be considered the same as how cheating is bannable on twitch IMO.
    But then what will Mike Ybarra, boss of Blizzard will do on his twitch streams?

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludek View Post
    ESO is in Gamepass, and it still has it's subscription, expansions, and predatory cash shop (which is even worse than WoW and XIV ones combined) so no, even if they would put WoW in GP, it won't change anything.

    Besides, if WoW is in Gamepass, the only way to profit of WoW is by microtransactions, and token is their best selling micro at the moment.

    But then what will Mike Ybarra, boss of Blizzard will do on his twitch streams?
    If you think ESO has the brand power of Warcraft you are mistaken lol. WoW would sell more gamepass subs, I never see advertisements for ESO or Fallout, I see plenty for Warcraft everywhere.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If you think ESO has the brand power of Warcraft you are mistaken lol. WoW would sell more gamepass subs, I never see advertisements for ESO or Fallout, I see plenty for Warcraft everywhere.
    The power of targeted ads.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    The power of targeted ads.
    That’s actually funny I have gotten quite a bit of eso ads and I have never seen a wow one in god knows how long yet I’ve played wow since vanilla and I have never touched eso….

    Then again I ad block everything so most of the ads I get are built into videos so it makes sense I wouldn’t see a wow ad inside of wow videos.

  13. #33
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    32,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively. You don't make a full rework of a core system (crafting) in a game like this that's tied to the game's economics Is without making other big changes.
    There are very likely much, much larger economies for token use that involve very simple things: 1). I want some gold. 2). I would like to pay my subscription in some other way than using a credit card.

    I know. Boosting seems like the most important thing ever but it's doubtful that it is comparatively. The number of players who are paying big bucks for boosts is still reliant on how many people are interested in M+15 or advanced raids, i.e. not really that many as a percentage of all players.

    Token won't be going anywhere. Moreover, almost all MMO's have a system for transferring game currencies to real money and vice versa. The implication that Blizzard is unique in this regard is nonsense and people should just realize that. It's a standard feature in many MMO's.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-08-05 at 06:32 PM.
    Two rules for living: "Don't go around hurting each other. Try to understand things." — William Least Heat-Moon (Blue Highways)

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively. You don't make a full rework of a core system (crafting) in a game like this that's tied to the game's economics Is without making other big changes.
    I'd be seriously surprised if that ever were to happen.

    Thanks to the token, Blizzard takes another ~7 bucks out of every sub / month bought via token.
    I really cannot see any of the corporate side being convinced that by removing the token, Blizzard would make more money longterm and they absolutely need the approval of these people to remove the token.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively.
    Hahahaha!

    It'll be a cold day in Hell before Blizzard removes the token.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Just watching the house burn down.

  16. #36
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    One path
    Posts
    4,704
    Was wondering where the usual spam had went, I figured it had all moved to the dedicated channel mentioned in the patch notes but I've yet to find it anywhere ingame- figuring something had to be up.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Just noticed a guildie mentiond in Discord that all boosting communities have disappeared from Discord, and sure enough, the 3 I was part of have disappeared from Discord.

    What happened?
    what I want to know is why did you join 3 boosting community in Discord? hmmmm were you buying the boost or taking gold/cash to boost people?

    Also just so people know a lot of these boosting service is done by top guilds, world 1st, or people related to them(like people who help them run stack raids to get gear for them. Just look at EHCO and TEAM liquid I remember when they were racing for world 1st they were recruiting people to do split runs offering everyone 100m+ of gold and even more if you trade your item to them(not sure how that works). Also, they use pots and flasks and other items to boost their DPS every time and if they don't come cheap then there are repairs. How do you think they paid off all that? They sell boost with their alts after world 1st is over to grind gold(sometimes real money).

    And yes I have been there and done that back in Warth the guild I was in pretty much sever first in every raid we sell boost to people afterwards. It was easy gold. Sometimes we would have people kill themselves early on to avoid wiping the group. Is not just the top 1st and 2nd guild most of the top 50 guilds are doing it. Is just the ugly truth so is not all glamour you see on stream.

    As long as there is a huge hype for world 1st boosting will still be there.
    Last edited by sponge5307; 2022-08-05 at 08:30 PM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    boosting communities turned into guilds, no real change in fact. you can't prevent boosting, it will always exist and it may be supported by blizzard one day.
    It is already supported by blizzard? it has been for 8 years, it's called WoW tokens

    They knew what they were doing, what else would people spend gold on

  19. #39
    Legendary! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    6,692
    Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    It is already supported by blizzard? it has been for 8 years, it's called WoW tokens

    They knew what they were doing, what else would people spend gold on
    Dunno, BoEs? Rare mounts/pets? I doubt Blizz expected boosting to turn into such a big industry and how much /trade and LFG would be infested by it.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Skimmed through Discord ToS there is nothing regarding this sort of content (RMT).
    ToS references community guidelines where it's stated that selling cheats is against the rules.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •