Page 1 of 18
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scottishlands
    Posts
    1,980

    Boosting communities gone?

    Just noticed a guildie mentiond in Discord that all boosting communities have disappeared from Discord, and sure enough, the 3 I was part of have disappeared from Discord.

    What happened?

  2. #2
    What happened?

    Something wonderful, no doubt
    The greater the light, the darker the shadow. And this light casts a shadow over all I see - the Prophet Velen, when asked what's next for Blizzard

  3. #3
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...5/IMG_2303.png

    Still not 100%...
    Sylvanas is having a new discord temporarily while trying to get the old one back...

    EDIT: Image is too big imo, so link is enough. cba resizing.


    https://www.wowhead.com/news/wow-boo...discord-328182
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-08-05 at 11:54 AM.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome terminaltrip421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    [A] Azuremyst <US>
    Posts
    679
    I seem to recall mention of policy changes but I haven't played in 10 months. is it now against terms to offer raid carries for gold?

    edit: nvm read the link
    Last edited by terminaltrip421; 2022-08-05 at 12:04 PM.

  5. #5
    a lot of them closed down shop (read: rebranded) during some massive banwave a while back.

    but just look in the usual in game advert areas and you will find them all the same.

    they will just be abit more cautious about RMT than before, the advertiser has to actually be part of the boost and it might be a local server community instead of a huge region wide one.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    I seem to recall mention of policy changes but I haven't played in 10 months. is it now against terms to offer raid carries for gold?
    It's not but it's "locked" to a specific server and as before you cannot promote it in the LFD tools and such. The issue with boosting is just the huge scope it has reached, to the point it's getting a real problem when most people just buy a boots and everyone else expect people to have cleared content week 1 or to have increased ilvl.

    It's not boosting per se, but the extreme easiness and convenience in getting one that makes them so appealing. Also, Blizzard is apparently "against" them but fail to enforce any kind of real policy (probably due to interactions with the token and so on - not saying every boost is paid with RMT).

    It's a fact that a lot of people just buy boosts so they have the required achievements or score to be able to do specific activities in an easier way. Also it's often a better experience (if not always) to get carried by a team of experienced people (doesn't matter if you're good or not at the game). And it's a problem because the more people resort to this practice, the more it becomes normalized and even expected to participate in them.

    We'll see how it pans out, if it's a mass report of people willing to "hurt their businesses" or there's something real behind it.
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,600
    boosting communities turned into guilds, no real change in fact. you can't prevent boosting, it will always exist and it may be supported by blizzard one day.

  8. #8
    They'll be back. This was the result of people mass reporting the communities to Discord and were likely automated. Since the communities weren't actually breaking any of Discord's ToS it's extremely likely they will be restored.

    edit: Looks like this may have actually been Blizzard enforcing the escrow rule since most Discord communities gave zero fucks about hiding the RMT-adjacent nature of their business.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2022-08-05 at 04:27 PM.

  9. #9
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively. You don't make a full rework of a core system (crafting) in a game like this that's tied to the game's economics Is without making other big changes.

    I would be surprised if boosting It's allowed in the next 6 months it's going to be highly against their terms of use once the token is gone.

    Then we can get rid of all these QQ babies that have more Money then brains. I remember when the token was added and it seemed like a good thing at the time but it went downhill very quickly and has had very negative impacts in multiple areas of the game.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  10. #10
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Just noticed a guildie mentiond in Discord that all boosting communities have disappeared from Discord, and sure enough, the 3 I was part of have disappeared from Discord.

    What happened?
    Isn't it just glorious to witness? Sadly, they'll just hide somewhere else, most likely their own forums to be made.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively. You don't make a full rework of a core system (crafting) in a game like this that's tied to the game's economics Is without making other big changes.

    I would be surprised if boosting It's allowed in the next 6 months it's going to be highly against their terms of use once the token is gone.

    Then we can get rid of all these QQ babies that have more Money then brains. I remember when the token was added and it seemed like a good thing at the time but it went downhill very quickly and has had very negative impacts in multiple areas of the game.
    Token is not going anywhere. It produces them 15 dollars every time someone buys one or sells one with no effort of their own. The only way token gets removed if there is a gold reset but that would make the whales mad.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Isn't it just glorious to witness? Sadly, they'll just hide somewhere else, most likely their own forums to be made.
    More likely they'll just keep creating Discord communities. Considering nothing the boosting communities are doing is against their ToS even if these communities aren't restored the demand isn't going anywhere and people will still find ways to get boosted. Discord simply helps organize their operation.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively. You don't make a full rework of a core system (crafting) in a game like this that's tied to the game's economics Is without making other big changes.

    I would be surprised if boosting It's allowed in the next 6 months it's going to be highly against their terms of use once the token is gone.

    Then we can get rid of all these QQ babies that have more Money then brains. I remember when the token was added and it seemed like a good thing at the time but it went downhill very quickly and has had very negative impacts in multiple areas of the game.
    Sounds like less dollars for Blizzard. So highly unlikely. I would like it.. but.. the gaming business these days seems to be about landing a few big whales and hope enough meows swim along side them. It's been working at an alarming rate. So doubts run high for me.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I'm telling you now blizzard's moving towards removing the token and anything that can sway the games economy negatively. You don't make a full rework of a core system (crafting) in a game like this that's tied to the game's economics Is without making other big changes.

    I would be surprised if boosting It's allowed in the next 6 months it's going to be highly against their terms of use once the token is gone.

    Then we can get rid of all these QQ babies that have more Money then brains. I remember when the token was added and it seemed like a good thing at the time but it went downhill very quickly and has had very negative impacts in multiple areas of the game.
    Quite a big delusion there I see.

    Why would Blizz want to remove such big income source as a token? They found a way to sell 13€ for 20€ (or whatever the counterpart in your currency is).
    Especially when in other games such thing exist and people are not complaining there.

    Even if we go by "Microsoft standard", as they will be the boss soon, in their other MMO - Elder Scrolls Online, trading of premium currency (Crowns) for in game gold and vice versa is perfectly fine so why Blizz would ever want to change this in WoW?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludek View Post
    Quite a big delusion there I see.

    Why would Blizz want to remove such big income source as a token? They found a way to sell 13€ for 20€ (or whatever the counterpart in your currency is).
    Especially when in other games such thing exist and people are not complaining there.

    Even if we go by "Microsoft standard", as they will be the boss soon, in their other MMO - Elder Scrolls Online, trading of premium currency (Crowns) for in game gold and vice versa is perfectly fine so why Blizz would ever want to change this in WoW?
    If @Unholyground had his way, Bill Gates himself would descend from the heavens on a golden chariot using a shoulder-mounted RPG to personally nuke Blizzard HQ from orbit. I don't understand his weird obsession with the token or the MS takeover but he seems convinced that Blizzard and Microsoft are both in the business of making less money.

  16. #16
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    They'll be back. This was the result of people mass reporting the communities to Discord and were likely automated. Since the communities weren't actually breaking any of Discord's ToS it's extremely likely they will be restored.
    Wasn’t it confirmed that that was not the reason?

  17. #17
    I'm not concerned about the why the boosting communities went away, if it means that there's finally a serious stance on boosting. It should be considered the same as how cheating is bannable on twitch IMO.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    They'll be back. This was the result of people mass reporting the communities to Discord and were likely automated. Since the communities weren't actually breaking any of Discord's ToS it's extremely likely they will be restored.
    First of all Discord can delete any discord they want, just the same as you can ban anyone from your living room if you feel like it.

    Second if Blizzard considers what boosting communities do as cheating then "Your account participated in selling, promoting, or distributing cheats, hacks, or cracked accounts." falls foul of Discords TOS. Discord doesn't have to give a fuck about what another company considers cheating, but they can just as well say "yo Blizzard you have a point" and ban discords for it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Token is not going anywhere. It produces them 15 dollars every time someone buys one or sells one with no effort of their own. The only way token gets removed if there is a gold reset but that would make the whales mad.
    I'm just saying gamepass is their a golden child, they are not going make it a less valuable proposition by keeping the token. When they inevitably add World of Warcraft to gamepass you're going to see a huge influx in new World of Warcraft players and it will breathe new life into the game. I also see people saying that none of this stuff will happen because they have other mmos with vip subs blah blah blah but the truth of the matter is nobody gives a shit about those other MMO's like they do Warcraft and they not have the brand power that World of Warcraft has.

    Bringing World of Warcraft to gamepass would slaughter the competition.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - The subscription for WoW will be added to Gamepass Ultimate at no additional cost, mark my words.

  20. #20
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    More likely they'll just keep creating Discord communities. Considering nothing the boosting communities are doing is against their ToS even if these communities aren't restored the demand isn't going anywhere and people will still find ways to get boosted. Discord simply helps organize their operation.
    Are we talking Discord's ToS? Well, in the end, Discord can if seeing fit, shut any community down if they wish. They are already breaking WoW ToS, and just like on MMO-Champion, some fansites rather just shut it down right away if it breaks a supporting game's ToS.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •