Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Discord has gotten too big. Time is ripe for a replacement
    Telegram seems to be making progress on the whole "unmoderated free speech" front. What this actually means is that it's a playground for scam artists; ie, a perfect platform for boosters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    Please tell me you're joking. A "rather expensive monthly fee." You mean a fee that hasn't gone up in nearly 20 years. Dude, you can't even go to the movies and get a popcorn and soda for $15. And that's just for a few hours of entertainment.
    Dude you're replying to is from Canada and apparently the USD to CAD ratio is quite bad for Canadians, to the extent that a wow sub is quite a lot more expensive for them relative to what it is for Americans. This is if I've understood it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    The boosting got out of hand and it ruined the game but boosting is none of the above. You simply sell your time to get players through content they couldnt do themselves. Its a service, not a hack, cheat or exploit.

This really is a dystopian virtual nightmare. 2 companies not related to one another decided to fuck some people over because they didnt like them and there is nothing these people can do about it.
    Lol. Get over yourself just a little. They are both private companies and can do what they like. You are free to not use their services.

Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    Please tell me you're joking. A "rather expensive monthly fee." You mean a fee that hasn't gone up in nearly 20 years. Dude, you can't even go to the movies and get a popcorn and soda for $15. And that's just for a few hours of entertainment.
    "Expensive" is a matter of opinion.

I have a friend, she has a 17 year old daughter, the daughter's lunchbox broke and she said she needs a new one, I suggested she get a stainless steel bento box (she likes bento boxes) because that shit will last forever, she told me it was too expensive, they are like $25 - $50, so I bought it for her. That's fucking nothing to me but to her $50 is expensive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    And that's fine. Boosting isn't forbidden, only boosting communities are (cross-server organisations who are doing it on an industrial scale).
    Used it to buy a Tmog mount.

DPS goes up 10% when you have a good looking mog
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Selling boosts for money is specifically against the rules, do you need me to link it to you honey?

Here I’ll link it for you. Policy change here:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...y-2022/1176836

And here is their rules for real money services

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/269874

Any questions?
    Sure. Still confused as to how any of that is a crack, cheat, or hack. It isnt any of thise things. And those are the things Discord says you can be banned for. So, since the thing were doing wasnt any of those things… why were they banned again?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quixef View Post
    These community Discords did NOT get banned because:

- They were offering boosting services.
    - They were cheating.

These were banned BECAUSE:

- They were offering escrow services (i.e. organizing cross-realm boosts, specifically, transferring gold from buyers to boosters between realms)

Hope this helped.
    And heres the rub. This makes more sense, but… Discord shouldnt give a fuck. Its not Discord’s problem and they arent liable for what their users post, any more than Facebook, Twitter, et al, are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Dude you're replying to is from Canada and apparently the USD to CAD ratio is quite bad for Canadians, to the extent that a wow sub is quite a lot more expensive for them relative to what it is for Americans. This is if I've understood it correctly.
    Yeah its currently like .82c to the USD, and on top of that, there are more taxes and fees on stuff like this in CAN. I think the Canadians pay something like 19$ USD equiv.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Can you imagine being so entitled and sheltered that you think not being able to discuss cheating in a video game on a chat program is what you consider a DYSTOPIAN NIGHTMARE?
    Its prerty dystopian. Cheating in a video game is not breaking a law. Its not criminal activity (in most cases, at least). The mere fact that Discord is getting involved in this at all is pretty protofascist. Also because they just take the word of, or set the standard at whatever the other company sys, not any real legal definition. Like.. “Blizzard told us you cheated at their game, so we’re banning you here.” Shit like that is enough to ensure ill never use their software ever again.

So like… im not allowed to talk about things with my friends that arent illegal or criminal… because another, totally different company got butthurt? Fuck that noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    All you are doing is describing how someone could evade such action. You do realize that the need for a provider to do those things means that Blizzard, or any other entity, can act against any website. It isn't like this is anything new because DMCA strikes and copyright infringement have been around on the internet for years. These type of disputes even pre-date the internet though in obviously different forms.
    I hear hosts outside the US are totally behilden to the DMCA….owait, no.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-08-06 at 05:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Sure. Still confused as to how any of that is a crack, cheat, or hack. It isnt any of thise things. And those are the things Discord says you can be banned for. So, since the thing were doing wasnt any of those things… why were they banned again?
    Discord gave selling hacks as the reason. There is no definition of what hacks, cheat, crack, or anything else encompases so you can't honestly say it doesn't full under that category. It doesn't matter if cheating in a video game is not breaking a low, criminal activity, or anything else. It isn't dystopian or protofacist. It is Discord policing their own platform with the rules they see fit to use.

It is no different then when MMO-Champion censors talk of certain topics like cheats, hacks, and etc. No one claims that MMO-Champion moderators are heralding a dystopian future or starting a incubating facism. If things like that ensures you'll never use Discord or Blizzard software again then why are you here as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Some are since international treaties and agreements exist. They also want favorable treatment for when their countries IP is at risk. Do all countries recongize things? Of course not.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-08-06 at 06:03 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I just want to start off by saying that your absolutely olympic level mental gymnastics and goalpost moving skills have not gone unnoticed. Gold medalist shit.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Discord gave selling hacks as the reason. There is no definition of what hacks, cheat, crack, or anything else encompases
    Uhh.... lolwhut? This is the kind of statement that shows that we are living in two totally separate realities and that communication isn't possible because youre apparently in a universe where the sky is chalk white and the sun spins around the Earth.

There are ABSOLUTELY definitions for those things.

so you can't honestly say it doesn't full under that category. It doesn't matter if cheating in a video game is not breaking a low, criminal activity, or anything else. It isn't dystopian or protofacist. It is Discord policing their own platform with the rules they see fit to use.
    Except that isn't what it is. Its Discord (a company that should be focused on its OWN users, monetary concerns, and shareholders) banning people on the say-so of another company that they have NOTHING to do with. Discord exists to serve its users and make its shareholders money. This does neither of those things.

It is no different then when MMO-Champion censors talk of certain topics like cheats, hacks, and etc. No one claims that MMO-Champion moderators are heralding a dystopian future or starting a incubating facism.
    Yes, yes people do constantly rail against MMO-Champ's censorship. Ive done so myself. And won. Both in having them retract their bans and having them legally sanctioned by the EU for violating EU law. Three times. Though at the time they were owned by Curse and i think that when they changed owners that probably got wiped from their record. Not sure how EU law works on that. So... yeah, separate realities.

If things like that ensures you'll never use Discord or Blizzard software again then why are you here as well?
    So here i am, looking around for the "Blizzard and Discord software users only" tag on this website. I cant find it... because its not fucking there.

Its almost like there are... OTHER topics being discussed here? Weird, huh? You might find most of my posts in the Computer Hardware forum. Which has literally nothing to do with WoW or Discord.

I haven't played anything ActiBlizz in 5 years. And i wont, as the company continues to spiral into being a literal emobdiment of greed destroying a formerly good company. I almost never use Discord, because all of its features other than VOIP are utterly useless to me, since their messaging system is inferoir to 15 year old forum software. When i need to voice chat with people, i use other software, because the sound quality is better. I only fire up Discord when the group im joining is already invested in it. Haven't even installed the app since i swapped my daily driver out for a new machine 5 months ago. Thats how little i already used it. So yeah, Discord basically choosing to operate at the behest of companies that it has nothing to do with, and censoring completely legal conversations - particularly when letting people chat with their friends is the sole reason for the product to exist (That literally IS their product) is enough to tell me i dont want to do business with them. I dont need Big Bro Discord looking over my shoulder.

Some are since international treaties and agreements exist. They also want favorable treatment for when their countries IP is at risk. Do all countries recongize things? Of course not.
    Yeah, and hosts of the kind of websites we're talking about here will not host their site in a country that will comply with the DMCA in the first place, so trying desprately to pretend that there are countries that do is somehow relevant is kinda funny. Here we are, 20 years on, and TPB is still there, despite the big bad DMCA and the US trying to stamp it out with all their might.

- - - Updated - - -

And heres the rub. This makes more sense, but… Discord shouldnt give a fuck. Its not Discord’s problem and they arent liable for what their users post, any more than Facebook, Twitter, et al, are.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah its currently like .82c to the USD, and on top of that, there are more taxes and fees on stuff like this in CAN. I think the Canadians pay something like 19$ USD equiv.

- - - Updated - - -

Its prerty dystopian. Cheating in a video game is not breaking a law. Its not criminal activity (in most cases, at least). The mere fact that Discord is getting involved in this at all is pretty protofascist. Also because they just take the word of, or set the standard at whatever the other company sys, not any real legal definition. Like.. “Blizzard told us you cheated at their game, so we’re banning you here.” Shit like that is enough to ensure ill never use their software ever again.

So like… im not allowed to talk about things with my friends that arent illegal or criminal… because another, totally different company got butthurt? Fuck that noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, some of you guys are absurd. Truly.

Discord is a company that primarily revolves around the facilitation of communication between video game communities. Is it that hard to understand that they see it as being in their own best interests to keep the makers of those games on side?

Discord don't allow the discussion of cheating in videogames. Blizzard sets the rules in WoW. Escrow boosting communities are breaking those rules. Discord bans escrow communities.

It's not even hard to follow.

Companies whose interests are somewhat aligned, or even share the same sphere of influence, frequently collaborate and cooperate in many walks of life. This isn't unusual or even uncommon. Don't go making up weird narratives about dystopian universes because gaming-aligned services agree with each other. Discord is a private entity, Blizzard are a private entity, and both of them feel like they benefit from whatever this move is. There is nothing dystopian, nor even weird, about that. Your option is to move on and not use them.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2022-08-06 at 06:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next step: crack down on Top Guilds Discord servers. The same is happening there.

Bet they won't though.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Next step: crack down on Top Guilds Discord servers. The same is happening there.

Bet they won't though.
    Of course not; those guilds don't operate in the same way as multi-server escrow unions, so they aren't breaking the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It won't but it'll make the game a proper mmo again with no advantage to the whales, as it has been proven whales are always bad for the long term health of any game, epsecially one that already has a rather expensive monthly fee and box price to just get into the game.
    It's been proven whales are bad for the long term health of a game? Where? Literally hundreds of games wouldn't exist right now without whales. Eso was saved from death cause you got people buying 150$ homes and gambling on crown crates to get cool mounts.

The problem with boost for gold being ok is it pretty much allows the frame work for boost with RMT to legitimately exists. Because a lot of the boosters themselves don't probably know which they boosting for. You, as a booster, get a DM from a guy that that says player X needs to be boosted though event Y and they have paid in full. Then at the end if that boosted player paid with dollars or gold you probably get a payout of gold to the boosters in either case. Now that isn't saying their are some 100% clean boosting communities out there that legit only take gold. But it is REALLY easy for those communities to have just one little birdy that takes a few dollars and injects a few boosts into that other wise clean community totally unknowingly to almost everyone else in that community and no one be the wiser that some some of the names on the schedule in front of them were put there with RMT.

At the end though I am not sure if nuking the whole communities is really the answer. Mostly because I think it will just adapt and continue in some new form that won't be as easily shutdown or monitors. I am not sure if banning everyone doing any boosting is going to stop it. But I see why they did it.. even if I don't believe it ultimately to be that effective.

I liked boosting, it was an easy way to get rid of boring progression. I mean, if you don't get boosted by RMT, you're just going to buy a bot and as long as they're not banning bot's all their stuff is kinda useless.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Good now they just need to remove the token as I've been saying and I know it's coming so don't QQ when it happens.
    Not a chance. Who knows how many the sell daily.. Each costing the equivalent of a sub.

Blizzard should ask themselves why boosting is in so high demand in WoW in the first place.

remember that blizzard banned automation for multi account, and that aura for auto follow is very similar, and so not allowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well now I'll have to use their websites for boosts. Just making it more difficult, really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Well now I'll have to use their websites for boosts. Just making it more difficult, really.
    Which I'd assume is the whole point... pretty sure they're aware they'll never fully get rid of boosting.

I hope this won't affect the wow mod for blind people too much

https://duugu.github.io/Sku/first_steps_en.html

https://duugu.github.io/Sku/

as there's an addon for sighted people and i thought one of the functioanlities was to make the blind person lock on you again when you lose him cuz he's stuck somewhere.