Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Lookout
    Posts
    20,979
    Why in the fuck does Blizzard have the Authority to shut down Discord Servers?

    What actual bullshittery is this?

  2. #142
    Nice. Now start permanently banning those boosting and the players buying them.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Why in the fuck does Blizzard have the Authority to shut down Discord Servers?

    What actual bullshittery is this?
    Spreading cheats and services that break other programs ToS is against Discords ToS. Any company or organisation can ask Discord to ban a server that breaks their (and therefor also Discords) ToS.

    They don't need 'Authority', they asked Discord and Discord said 'sure'.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Sure. Still confused as to how any of that is a crack, cheat, or hack. It isnt any of thise things. And those are the things Discord says you can be banned for. So, since the thing were doing wasnt any of those things… why were they banned again?

    - - - Updated - - -



    And heres the rub. This makes more sense, but… Discord shouldnt give a fuck. Its not Discord’s problem and they arent liable for what their users post, any more than Facebook, Twitter, et al, are.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yeah its currently like .82c to the USD, and on top of that, there are more taxes and fees on stuff like this in CAN. I think the Canadians pay something like 19$ USD equiv.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Its prerty dystopian. Cheating in a video game is not breaking a law. Its not criminal activity (in most cases, at least). The mere fact that Discord is getting involved in this at all is pretty protofascist. Also because they just take the word of, or set the standard at whatever the other company sys, not any real legal definition. Like.. “Blizzard told us you cheated at their game, so we’re banning you here.” Shit like that is enough to ensure ill never use their software ever again.

    So like… im not allowed to talk about things with my friends that arent illegal or criminal… because another, totally different company got butthurt? Fuck that noise.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I hear hosts outside the US are totally behilden to the DMCA….owait, no.
    It’s not dystopian for a company to say “we don’t want to be a platform that enables cheating, please leave.”

    If I own a piece of land next to a store and someone says “I want to use your land to have a bbq”, I would say sure why not.

    That doesn’t mean that if another person comes and says “I want to use your land to protest the store next to you” I need to let them do it or it’s a DYSTOPIAN NIGHTMARE.

    If I want to maintain a good relationship with my neighbor and not be known for causing problems in the neighborhood, that’s my business.

    People like you think it’s a dystopian nightmare when your parents tell you to do your fucking homework.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Man, some of you guys are absurd. Truly.

    Discord is a company that primarily revolves around the facilitation of communication between video game communities. Is it that hard to understand that they see it as being in their own best interests to keep the makers of those games on side?

    Discord don't allow the discussion of cheating in videogames. Blizzard sets the rules in WoW. Escrow boosting communities are breaking those rules. Discord bans escrow communities.

    It's not even hard to follow.

    Companies whose interests are somewhat aligned, or even share the same sphere of influence, frequently collaborate and cooperate in many walks of life. This isn't unusual or even uncommon. Don't go making up weird narratives about dystopian universes because gaming-aligned services agree with each other. Discord is a private entity, Blizzard are a private entity, and both of them feel like they benefit from whatever this move is. There is nothing dystopian, nor even weird, about that. Your option is to move on and not use them.
    Boosting (RM or gold or free) is still not cheating.....It might be against the WoW EULA (edit: prohibited commercial use...not cheating. hacking or cracking by WoW either) , fair enough, but it is not cheating, hacking or cracking by definiton for Discord...Not like I care about them (i mean boosters) but I see a little discrepancy here.

    "Prohibited Commercial Uses: Exploit, in its entirety or individual components, the Platform for any purpose not expressly authorized by Blizzard, including, without limitation (i) playing the Game(s) at commercial establishments (subject to Section 1.B.iv.3.); (ii) gathering in-game currency, items, or resources for sale/selling/exchanging outside of the Platform or the Game(s); (iii) performing in-game services including, without limitation, account boosting or power-leveling, in exchange for payment; (iv) communicating or facilitating (by text, live audio communications, or otherwise) any commercial advertisement, solicitation or offer through or within the Platform; or (v) organizing, promoting, facilitating, or participating in any event involving wagering on the outcome, or any other aspect of, Blizzard’s Games, whether or not such conduct constitutes gambling under the laws of any applicable jurisdiction, without authorization."
    Last edited by cateran100; 2022-08-06 at 12:41 PM.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by cateran100 View Post
    Boosting (RM or gold or free) is still not cheating.....It might be against the WoW EULA (edit: prohibited commercial use...not cheating. hacking or cracking by WoW either) , fair enough, but it is not cheating, hacking or cracking by definiton for Discord...Not like I care about them (i mean boosters) but I see a little discrepancy here.

    "Prohibited Commercial Uses: Exploit, in its entirety or individual components, the Platform for any purpose not expressly authorized by Blizzard, including, without limitation (i) playing the Game(s) at commercial establishments (subject to Section 1.B.iv.3.); (ii) gathering in-game currency, items, or resources for sale/selling/exchanging outside of the Platform or the Game(s); (iii) performing in-game services including, without limitation, account boosting or power-leveling, in exchange for payment; (iv) communicating or facilitating (by text, live audio communications, or otherwise) any commercial advertisement, solicitation or offer through or within the Platform; or (v) organizing, promoting, facilitating, or participating in any event involving wagering on the outcome, or any other aspect of, Blizzard’s Games, whether or not such conduct constitutes gambling under the laws of any applicable jurisdiction, without authorization."
    Discord does not specifically define the word “cheat” in the TOS so it is reasonable to conclude they use a colloquial definition, not a technical definition referring to things like programs that enable cheating.

    The colloquial definition clearly includes “to violate rules dishonestly”. I don’t know where you guys got this idea that the word “cheat” only means running hacks or using exploits.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  7. #147
    This whole decision by discord is a great tool is bring the dumb dumbs to the surface so you have no question who they are.

    If you still can’t wrap your head around discord banning these players, you may need to seek help

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not really. People don't boost just because they aren't having fun or the game isn't engaging. They simply boost because they want to. People love to ascribe stuff to whatever thing they don't like about the current game instead of just being honest. Boosting happens because people want to do it and no amount of "fun and engaging" game design will stop it. Not to mention how nebulous fun and engaging is because it varies per person.
    No amount of "fun and engaging" will help you if the goal you need to achieve is blocked by group content which you cannnot access due to several reasons. Like, m+ has so many difficulties that the group of people you can play with at a current difficulty level is constantly bleeding people out who outlevel it by gear. Instead, it fills up with people who are probably more a burden on the group than a real contribution to it.

    Back in the "older days" where you only had a couple of difficulties (normal and heroic in Wrath, or the introduction of Mythic in dungeons, and nothing above it), the amount of people who were able to run your Heroic / Mythic grew, because people could not outlevel it anymore. As the result, runs became overall easier - not only because of the increasing gearscore of the players running dungeons, but also because more and more people knew them. And it was a thing which I liked, because it happened to me just as well. I have farmed the heirloom trinkets back in WoD - and I did fine despite not setting foot in any raid above LFR - I did have my Mythic gear of course, and I knew how to play my characters and I knew tactics and stuff. I contributed well to my group, be it as tank, dps or healer. With the introduction of m+, I just cannot compete anymore, because people outgear dungeons faster than I can. So people I can play with get worse and worse, since all good player level out.

    That's great for esports, but its a really bad social engineering in an MMO. FFXIV does it much, much better.

  9. #149
    simple solution. dont use discord. go to the website directly.....

    problem solved.

    www dot houkan dot org

    /thread
    Last edited by craigw; 2022-08-06 at 03:31 PM.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Blizzard deems it cheating and Discord doesn't outline what a "cheat" is. Just because it doesn't fit your definition doesn't mean it isn't something that falls into those categories when talking about things. This isn't a dystopian nightamre. They are not screwing someone over just because they didn't like them. This isn't even the first time a company has done something like this. Nintendo routinely has things taken down. YouTube is always taking things down. Even Discord responds to copyright claims.

    It is always strange when people see Blizzard do something then act as if they are the first and some new evil has been unleashed on the world because of it.
    Thanks for making my point for me. Youtube and Nintendo are notoriously bad companies in this regard.


    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Lol. Get over yourself just a little. They are both private companies and can do what they like. You are free to not use their services.
    PRiVaTe ComPAnIeS CAn dO WHat ThEY LiKE. No, they fucking cant. I mean they can because they have all the money and nobody can challenge them, but they shouldnt have that kind of power.

  11. #151
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Thanks for making my point for me. Youtube and Nintendo are notoriously bad companies in this regard.
    It doesn't prove anything about your point because those two companies haven't made a dystopian nightmare. All you are doing is blurting out terms then saying "see you proved my point" when someone tells you these things happen all the time with any company. Even non-digital things. It is just the way things work. This isn't even the first time Discord has policed their own company for content.

    Even MMO-Champion does the same thing every time they take action against a post for breaking the forum rules. Private companies should have the power to police their own service for what content they want on it. The alternative you suggest where no content can ever be removed usually turns out to be a huge issue or it is arbitrarily applied based on views of the contents topic.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It doesn't prove anything about your point because those two companies haven't made a dystopian nightmare.
    I mean if we cant agree that Youtube banning, demonetizing and shadowbanning channels for arbitrary and sometimes even flatout wrong reaons, catering mostly to big companies who only wanna pump out ads and totally manipulating the search algorithm isnt already some kind of dystopian nightmare, then I guess it must be nice living in a world full of cotton candy clouds and dancing unicorns.

    Man I wish I could go there. Reality fucking sucks.

  13. #153
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    I mean if we cant agree that Youtube banning, demonetizing and shadowbanning channels for arbitrary and sometimes even flatout wrong reaons, catering mostly to big companies who only wanna pump out ads and totally manipulating the search algorithm isnt already some kind of dystopian nightmare, then I guess it must be nice living in a world full of cotton candy clouds and dancing unicorns.
    Moving the goal posts a bit aren't you? Private companies should be able to moderate their service. The entire reason why most of these companies started out is because they grew from small things people started to have their own community. If people don't like how Discord manages their service they can start their own competing service, right? It could see success and eventually spawn offshoots when there is a disagreement. It is the nature of things but moderation has been a core part from the very beginning and it isn't dystopian at all.

    This very forum would be an absolute mess if it couldn't be moderated. You may see that as your utopia but I bet very few users would want to wade through hundreds of spam posts.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-08-06 at 04:24 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  14. #154
    So Discord decides to delete these servers, but they allow racist, lgbt phobic and antisemantic servers to roam at wild.

    Wonder how much blizzard paid them to do this.

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Yayeet View Post
    So Discord decides to delete these servers, but they allow racist, lgbt phobic and antisemantic servers to roam at wild.

    Wonder how much blizzard paid them to do this.
    Probably nothing at all.

    I'm sure you'll find some other way to get people to play the game for you. Don't worry, buddy.

  16. #156
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is incorrect because in your very first post on the subject you described how a website would have to shift their operations in order to "hide" from an entity trying to stop them. Even now you indicate you understand it will have an effect because of needing decentralized solutions to hide. You keep making statements that indicate you agree with my point yet refuse to allow yourself to be wrong for whatever reason. This isn't semantics either and deflecting to insults only shows that you aren't interested in anything of substance but merely bullying your way into being correct no matter what.
    I'd say that's semantics. I didn't insulted anyone. my point is if someone want to operate a website that blizzard doesn't like, they will succeed if they're determined, which is allowed by how the internet works. whether they adapt or plan ahead. that's all there is to it, it's just that. whatever semantics you want to argue on, I really don't have time to discuss about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    The fact that he is required to write *more* sentences in order to explain it to *you* isn’t a reflection on his ability to explain things. It’s a reflection on your ability to comprehend. You are now talking with two people who are attempting to explain something to you and you aren’t understanding still. Do you need 3? 4? 15?
    I asked his point, which could have been summed up in a short statement. you're once again making things up. and who cares about it, why are you discussing a sentence about the length of his post, literally it doesn't matter, it could have been any length. stop being obsessed about me and do something more interesting maybe.

  17. #157
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I'd say that's semantics. I didn't insulted anyone. my point is if someone want to operate a website that blizzard doesn't like, they will succeed if they're determined, which is allowed by how the internet works. whether they adapt or plan ahead. that's all there is to it, it's just that. whatever semantics you want to argue on, I really don't have time to discuss about that.
    Right. As I said from the beginning you are describing ways that a website can continue to exist if someone tries to stop them. What you keep calling semantics is not semantics. Any one can go after any website. Will they always be successful? No. Every time you keep trying to defend that false claim you actually prove how false it is. Strange, right?

    My point was summed up in a short statement. One you didn't like which then required a more lengthy, yet still brief, response. It is a strange thing for you to pick a fight over while at the same time telling others to stop being obsessed and focus on more interesting things. If it didn't matter why even bring it up?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  18. #158
    The Lightbringer Cæli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Right. As I said from the beginning you are describing ways that a website can continue to exist if someone tries to stop them. What you keep calling semantics is not semantics. Any one can go after any website. Will they always be successful? No. Every time you keep trying to defend that false claim you actually prove how false it is. Strange, right?

    My point was summed up in a short statement. One you didn't like which then required a more lengthy, yet still brief, response. It is a strange thing for you to pick a fight over while at the same time telling others to stop being obsessed and focus on more interesting things. If it didn't matter why even bring it up?
    some websites will succeed to continue operating despite blizzard not liking it or trying to attack it. the internet allows that. really I don't know what to tell you more.

  19. #159
    The Insane rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    some websites will succeed to continue operating despite blizzard not liking it or trying to attack it. the internet allows that. really I don't know what to tell you more.
    Right. The point of contention has been your claim that you can't just go after any website because of how the internet works.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not really. People don't boost just because they aren't having fun or the game isn't engaging. They simply boost because they want to. People love to ascribe stuff to whatever thing they don't like about the current game instead of just being honest. Boosting happens because people want to do it and no amount of "fun and engaging" game design will stop it. Not to mention how nebulous fun and engaging is because it varies per person.
    People would pay extra money to avoid fun and engaging content they are already paying for? LOL you dont half talk a load of nonsense sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    At no point have I claimed people weren't getting gold from the token or that gold can not be used to acquire power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    p2w is not inherently unfair.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •