Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Impressed. It's not gonna last of course because there are plenty of ways to communicate/organize, but did not expect something like this.

Anything but fix the problems that gave rise to these things in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other day I bought a WoW Token and blew 120k gold in a heartbeat.

No Regrets at all. 11/10 would do it again if I didn't need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Okay let’s just ignore the fact that you are blatantly attempting to move the goal posts here sweet heart and let’s go back to what started this conversation.

Someone specifically said blizzard can take action against websites or other third party actors and you said AND I QUOTE:

The conversation was never about whether or not blizzard could eradicate the world of all crime you knob. You specifically said they can’t do ANYTHING against websites especially if they are outside of the US. I proved you wrong with my specific examples I gave you. THATS what I was getting at.

If you’re going to say “if that’s what you mean then duh” then you’re calling yourself dumb, because you specifically said they couldn’t.
    I never said they can't do anything about 100% of the websites, but only about a given fraction of those. which is true. my point has never changed and you can easily see it by reading me again.

They will just use website and email now. The problem wasn't really fixed. But at least they are trying. A big step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticcrono View Post
    selling boosts isnt a cheat or hack though so discord is in the wrong

and if you think it is by that same logic buying items from the auction house is cheating.
    Great analogy. Except one of the two is breaking the ingame rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    Great analogy. Except one of the two is breaking the ingame rules.
    I mean, the devs themselves have been caught selling boosts. Multiple times.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    thats actually dogshit. discord doesnt need to adhere to blizzards bullshit. not that im really torn up about it but thats an extremely slippery slope to get actioned on by something that happened outside of your platform. actions that occurred before the ToS was changed should not result in anything happening if they were done within the ToS at the time. i dont get how people dont see how thats a massive fucking issue.
    I'm with you -- this sets an incredibly terrible precedent. But if we're to believe the "multiple sources" in the OP, this was a result of Blizzard putting pressure on Discord due to the boosting communities flagrantly circumventing the main purpose of the boosting community ban, mainly keeping large amounts gold in escrow. The RMT-adjacent nature of massive piles of gold is too much of a temptation for most admins of these boosting communities and this puts them in direct competition with Blizzard's own monetization of the game (the WoW token).

Hopefully it won't go further than this; though I can easily see boosting communities simply moving to a different platform (Telegram maybe?) since the demand for boosting isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I never said they can't do anything about 100% of the websites, but only about a given fraction of those. which is true. my point has never changed and you can easily see it by reading me again.
    I read it again, and I quoted you on it specifically. You word for word said blizzard can’t do anything. Period. You even said especially if they are out of the US. What part of this sentence, that you said yourself, aren’t you understanding? Why am I having to repeat back to you the words that you said?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    There's nothing to "catch" when selling a boost for gold is completely within the ToS.

Not really relevant I guess. I assume there are no examples of this after the rule was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Well that's interesting. Surprised Discord stepped in and did anything.
    Cheaters get booted

CP distributors though...

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Man View Post
    Cheaters get booted

CP distributors though...
    1054358 discord accounts were banned between January and March 2022 - 78,5% were banned with the reason "child safety".
    In the same period, 40k servers were removed total. 25k because of child safety.

15+ Year Old Account
    Afaik the discord ban had little to do with Blizzard since the guild banks they use are apparently all still intact.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    There's nothing to "catch" when selling a boost for gold is completely within the ToS.
    I'll expand on this to bolster what you say, because people seem to forget that there's a real reason that banning boosts for gold would go too far.

Back in the good ol' vanilla days, I remember I was doing world PvP in STV and was helping some lowbies survive. One whispered me for help doing some quests since I was 60 and he was not, and I happily joined his group and went around solo killing animals he needed while protecting him from PvP. After going through the chain quests, he thanks me and traded me 1 gold... told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. What I did back then still happens to today, and it's just fellow players helping each other out. However, that act of kindness would be against ToS if selling boosts for gold was against ToS as it technically would count as a boost.

The unfortunate reality is that boosting isn't a black-and-white issue, but the focus tends to be on the end-game boosting. However, I submit that boosting isn't the problem but rather the symptom of a problem with the game. To simplify things for the sake of brevity, if the game's activities were fun and engaging, I guarantee the amount of boosting that's perceived as negative would plummet. It wouldn't disappear completely, but it would be drastically reduced. What I'm saying is that WoW right now isn't fun and engaging (and the reasons for this are plentiful), and until that aspect of the game gets fixed Blizz is only treating a symptom. I can make the case for other aspects of WoW being a cause for negatively-perceived boosting, but this fundamental issue is at the heart of it all.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Afaik the discord ban had little to do with Blizzard since the guild banks they use are apparently all still intact.
    Not only that, but (nearly) all of the banned communities already have new discord servers up and running. So, this news should be "Blizzard inconvenienced boosting communities for a couple hours".

Quote Originally Posted by pfbe View Post
    Not only that, but (nearly) all of the banned communities already have new discord servers up and running. So, this news should be "Blizzard inconvenienced boosting communities for a couple hours".
    Where’s the links to them? I’d like to send a report

Anything but fix the problems that gave rise to these things in the first place.
    Fixing human nature is a little beyond Blizzard, and if they could, and did, you would be throwing an even bigger fit. I can see the headlines now "Blizzard mind controlling players to no longer want shit without putting in the effort".

Boosts are as old as time. Its not the game, its humans.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

link the specific rule that was broken. also last i checked the current Co-Leader of Blizzard Mike Ybarra sells boosts.
    This may come to a shock to you, but people on these discords sell boosts for actual money. I know it’s shocking so I understand if you need a minute.

link the specific rule that was broken. also last i checked the current Co-Leader of Blizzard Mike Ybarra sells boosts.
    I already pointed out the rule. And last you checked was before or after the rule was introduced? sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

so does blizzard, whats your point? blizz sells gold and the co lead sells boosts.
    I guess his point was that it's against the rules and therefore cheating. Selling cheats is against discords rules.