Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I said that blizzard cannot have an effect against "any" websites. this is not incorrect.
    It is incorrect because in your very first post on the subject you described how a website would have to shift their operations in order to "hide" from an entity trying to stop them. Even now you indicate you understand it will have an effect because of needing decentralized solutions to hide. You keep making statements that indicate you agree with my point yet refuse to allow yourself to be wrong for whatever reason. This isn't semantics either and deflecting to insults only shows that you aren't interested in anything of substance but merely bullying your way into being correct no matter what.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Ahhhh hahahahahaha. Such surprisingly good news.

What's not surprisingly is seeing the tragically awful players complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Fixing human nature is a little beyond Blizzard, and if they could, and did, you would be throwing an even bigger fit. I can see the headlines now "Blizzard mind controlling players to no longer want shit without putting in the effort".

Boosts are as old as time. Its not the game, its humans.

Or headlines like "Blizzard Mind controls players into liking WoW and not FFXIV".

The boosting thing has been around since Classic WoW. Blizzard is NOT God. They can't stop everything sneaky going on behind their backs. Hell they can barely keep track of who is doing what in their own company. hence all the legal issues they have going on.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll go deeper underground, but no way are they disappearing completely. It's too profitable.
    Just because Discord has booted them doesn't mean they won't just crop up on some federated network or self-hosted discord alternative. They'll be more difficult to find, but find them those who want boosting services will.

Also, that's what you get for relying on a big tech player like Discord to break the ToS of another big tech player like Blizzard. It's a perfect example for why online communities should value reliability, control and independence over ease of use and cheap infrastructure.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2022-08-06 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I'm with you -- this sets an incredibly terrible precedent. But if we're to believe the "multiple sources" in the OP, this was a result of Blizzard putting pressure on Discord due to the boosting communities flagrantly circumventing the main purpose of the boosting community ban, mainly keeping large amounts gold in escrow. The RMT-adjacent nature of massive piles of gold is too much of a temptation for most admins of these boosting communities and this puts them in direct competition with Blizzard's own monetization of the game (the WoW token).

Hopefully it won't go further than this; though I can easily see boosting communities simply moving to a different platform (Telegram maybe?) since the demand for boosting isn't going anywhere any time soon.
    Yeah its really not a good look to be like hey shut down these discords bc they dont follow OUR ToS which is separate but similar in nature to your ToS. The RMT shit that occurred within communities should absolutely get shut down and thats fine but gold for services boosting never should have been changed to be against ToS. People are just going to buy tokens for gold and look for guilds to do the boosting now instead of communities trying to make the gold. And guilds that are bigger in nature can easily make guilds on other servers and it circumvents the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://discord.com/guidelines
    "Do not distribute or provide access to content involving the hacking, cracking, or distribution of stolen goods, pirated content, or accounts. This includes sharing or selling game cheats or hacks."
    The boosting got out of hand and it ruined the game but boosting is none of the above. You simply sell your time to get players through content they couldnt do themselves. Its a service, not a hack, cheat or exploit.

This really is a dystopian virtual nightmare. 2 companies not related to one another decided to fuck some people over because they didnt like them and there is nothing these people can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You're making the same error that governments make about drugs: If drugs are a problem go after those that are pushing the drug/sales (guilds), not those who are users.
    it's more analogous to blizz being the ones who created the drug itself, and selectively enforcing rules around it (if at all). blizz created the token, allowed token to be converted into b.net balance (worst mistake blizz ever made), then all but incentivized sales by designing shadowlands around them when they saw how boost communities had taken off during BFA.

you really mean to tell me that an expansion that has
    -overtuned raids
    -loot drops significantly lowered from all sources
    -overtuned m+ dungeons
    -a pvp ranking system completely plagued by boosters

was all just a neat little coincidence? blizz was printing a ton of money at the start of SL, don't get me started on covenants making a lot of people reroll the same class just to try out different playstyles. that's why i dont get blizz going after communities now when they have gone out of their way to create the perfect game for boosting communities and have rarely if ever bothered to enforce its own ToS against them.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Well that's interesting. Surprised Discord stepped in and did anything.
    It won't matter because

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    will never replace websites
    just make a website, ezpz, no one can do shit to you.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I think it's pretty simple, boosting communities use a lot of in-game bots. Discord is a large and legally bound company. If Blizzard went to them and said "here's proof that these people are using bots, stop them or we'll sue you" then not much Discord can do.

Your opinion doesn't matter in the slightest.

Blizzard's and Discord's do. They decided to do this. It happened. You'll just have to get over it (and find some other way to get people to play the game for you in the process).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    This really is a dystopian virtual nightmare. 2 companies not related to one another decided to fuck some people over because they didnt like them and there is nothing these people can do about it.
    Blizzard deems it cheating and Discord doesn't outline what a "cheat" is. Just because it doesn't fit your definition doesn't mean it isn't something that falls into those categories when talking about things. This isn't a dystopian nightamre. They are not screwing someone over just because they didn't like them. This isn't even the first time a company has done something like this. Nintendo routinely has things taken down. YouTube is always taking things down. Even Discord responds to copyright claims.

It is always strange when people see Blizzard do something then act as if they are the first and some new evil has been unleashed on the world because of it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Blizzard deems it cheating and Discord doesn't outline what a "cheat" is. Just because it doesn't fit your definition doesn't mean it isn't something that falls into those categories when talking about things. This isn't a dystopian nightamre. They are not screwing someone over just because they didn't like them. This isn't even the first time a company has done something like this. Nintendo routinely has things taken down. YouTube is always taking things down. Even Discord responds to copyright claims.

It is always strange when people see Blizzard do something then act as if they are the first and some new evil has been unleashed on the world because of it.
    Can you imagine being so entitled and sheltered that you think not being able to discuss cheating in a video game on a chat program is what you consider a DYSTOPIAN NIGHTMARE?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    They don't own Discord. The deal failed.
    ...no it didn't? It's just not expected to close until next year.

Literally takes 5 seconds to Google this.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrokovski View Post
    it's more analogous to blizz being the ones who created the drug itself, and selectively enforcing rules around it (if at all). blizz created the token, allowed token to be converted into b.net balance (worst mistake blizz ever made), then all but incentivized sales by designing shadowlands around them when they saw how boost communities had taken off during BFA.

you really mean to tell me that an expansion that has
    -overtuned raids
    -loot drops significantly lowered from all sources
    -overtuned m+ dungeons
    -a pvp ranking system completely plagued by boosters

was all just a neat little coincidence? blizz was printing a ton of money at the start of SL, don't get me started on covenants making a lot of people reroll the same class just to try out different playstyles. that's why i dont get blizz going after communities now when they have gone out of their way to create the perfect game for boosting communities and have rarely if ever bothered to enforce its own ToS against them.
    Of all the shitty arguments players make about this game, blaming literally everything that the developers do or don't do on the fucking WoW token is -- by a country mile -- the worst. Congratulations, you figured out capitalism exists. The existence of capitalism does not mean that every bad decision the developers ever make is because they're being manipulated by some evil corporate entity hellbent on ensuring maximum profits at all costs.

Lay off the Bellular/Asmongold videos.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    ...no it didn't? It's just not expected to close until next year. Literally takes 5 seconds to Google this.
    I'm pretty sure you are confusing Microsoft buying Activision-Blizzard and Microsoft offering to buy Discord. No one but Discord owns Discord currently.

https://www.reuters.com/business/dis...sj-2021-04-20/

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    ...no it didn't? It's just not expected to close until next year.

Literally takes 5 seconds to Google this.
    Ok.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21...in-the-company

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/25/disc...of-offers.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discord

The same month, Bloomberg News and The Wall Street Journal reported that several companies were looking to purchase Discord, with Microsoft named as the likely lead buyer at a value estimated at $10 billion. However, they ended talks with Microsoft, opting to stay independent. Instead, Discord launched another round of investment in April 2021. Among those investing into the company was Sony Interactive Entertainment; the company stated that it intended to integrate a portion of Discord's services into the PlayStation Network by 2022.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ha. Get fucked. xD

Lmao get fucked boosters

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It won't but it'll make the game a proper mmo again with no advantage to the whales, as it has been proven whales are always bad for the long term health of any game, epsecially one that already has a rather expensive monthly fee and box price to just get into the game.
    Please tell me you're joking. A "rather expensive monthly fee." You mean a fee that hasn't gone up in nearly 20 years. Dude, you can't even go to the movies and get a popcorn and soda for $15. And that's just for a few hours of entertainment.

Discord has gotten too big. Time is ripe for a replacement