Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anyone else feels like Blizzard never goes 'All the Way' on new systems?

The new systems (for a long time now) are always:
    .Heavily Timegated
    .Heavily Restricted
    .Heavily Watered Down

Examples:
    -Garrisons
    -Warmode
    -Warfronts
    -Isle Expeditions
    -Torghast
    -Visions

Anyone else feels like the new systems always have incredible potential...endless vision...endless possibilities, AND THEN always end up being watered down versions of "no fun allowed" and "no risks taken"?

Dragonflight looks promissing and IT SEEMS like they are going ALL THE WAY on th new talent system! Good.
    I hope they go "all the way" on Dragonflight's new systems somehow...

I finish with a question:
    "When was the last time Blizzard wend WILD on world of warcraft?"

I only remember corruption gear being completely insane and wild...in terms of power level

10+ Year Old Account
    You just answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    You just answered your own question.
    He didn't. Literally asking OTHER people for their opinions in the title.

Yes, i agree with you OP

10+ Year Old Account
    I've felt that way since BFA but on the other hand, sometimes they shouldn't.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    The new systems (for a long time now) are always:
    .Heavily Timegated
    .Heavily Restricted
    .Heavily Watered Down

Examples:
    -Garrisons
    -Warmode
    -Warfronts
    -Isle Expeditions
    -Torghast
    -Visions

Anyone else feels like the new systems always have incredible potential...endless vision...endless possibilities, AND THEN always end up being watered down versions of "no fun allowed" and "no risks taken"?

Dragonflight looks promissing and IT SEEMS like they are going ALL THE WAY on th new talent system! Good.
    I hope they go "all the way" on Dragonflight's new systems somehow...

I finish with a question:
    "When was the last time Blizzard wend WILD on world of warcraft?"

I only remember corruption gear being completely insane and wild...in terms of power level
    I’ve only played on and off since wotlk so my answer is obviously going to be hindered by that, but I honestly don’t think blizzard has ever gone super WILD on anything since the DK release.

On release they were so laughably, hilariously, outlandishly overpowered you could tell that whoever was designing them was just having a blast. It was like they thought of what ability would thematically fit the deathknight and they just added it to them without any care in the world in terms of balance. They got nerfed so fucking hard during wotlk and they still ended up great at the end of it.

Sure there were systems or patches where things were overpowered or things were crazy but when it came to the DK launch, and the event that turned you into an undead and had you run rampant in cities and just murdered lowbies was probably the last time they truly went all in on something and didn’t even think about balance.

With that being said, blizzard is a ‘safe’ company in terms of changes in any aspect of the word, not just new systems. Even if something is massively massively disliked the very last thing they would do is remove it completely. They might make a slight change here and there but their design goal is to always just play it ‘safe’.

Garrisons was on purpose. They didnt want to do player housing and have since used it to excuse why they wont do player housing.
    Warmode is fine.
    Warfronts and Isle were such missed opprotunities. But they wanted to rush BfA out the door early on, so did. A shame.
    Visions were just a test run of future systems, not intended to stay in the first place.
    Torghast being abandoned is and always will be one of their biggest mess ups. It was a system that could have lasted for years and given players things to do, but they dropped it, ignoring why people had problems with it and never seeking to improve anything.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

It's the usual "if anyone at any point can get the same power level as those who do premade content then we won't do it"

Ironically titanforging was the only system since Ion took over that allowed for that so obviously it had to be removed. Imagine after you walking around in your heroic raid gear for months a casual got a single heroic piece from doing queued or solo content, the game would break.

I’m honestly curious here though, why are yo guys saying they didn’t go all in with garrisons? Like what were they suppose to do? Add furniture? Like I feel like they added way too much for garrisons because they made it so efficient that you literally never left them.

Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    I’m honestly curious here though, why are yo guys saying they didn’t go all in with garrisons? Like what were they suppose to do? Add furniture? Like I feel like they added way too much for garrisons because they made it so efficient that you literally never left them.
    Speculation was rampant on the community since Blizzard used terms like "customize your Garrison" and that we could "visit" other people Garrisons.
    But yeah...people were expecting something like Lost Ark or Genshin Impact maybe.

There are a few problems with your examples... namely with Island Expeditions, Torghast and Garrisons. These examples are Blizzard introducing new technology to the game.
    Sunsung Ranch in Halfhill from Mists of Pandaria was the initial test with Garrisons being the evolution of it. And even then, they were an iteration of the phasing technology added in Wrath of the Lich King. Island Expeditions was the initial test for procedurally generated instances with Torghast being the next step. So you really cannot say Blizzard went "all-in" with them.

Speculation was rampant on the community since Blizzard used terms like "customize your Garrison" and that we could "visit" other people Garrisons.
    But yeah...people were expecting something like Lost Ark or Genshin Impact maybe.
    I’ve played lost ark and the housing is very similar to garrisons, minus the fact that lost ark you can just add a lot more ‘stuff’ to yours like furniture or monuments or what have you.

I’m not trying to be rude, but do you guys seriously think adding those minor details would have made garrisons a hit? Also you could join other peoples garrisons.

I’ve played lost ark and the housing is very similar to garrisons, minus the fact that lost ark you can just add a lot more ‘stuff’ to yours like furniture or monuments or what have you.

I’m not trying to be rude, but do you guys seriously think adding those minor details would have made garrisons a hit? Also you could join other peoples garrisons.
    But isnt Garrisons a text-based iddle game?
    I know it was insanely rewarding but the gameplay is worse than iddle games on phones...

At least thats what i think, since i personaly refused to play the Garrison at the time of the expansion...i actually dont know much about Garrisons and how rewarding they were. Just word of mouth.

I know it was insanely rewarding but the gameplay is worse than iddle games on phones...

At least thats what i think, since i personaly refused to play the Garrison at the time of the expansion...i actually dont know much about Garrisons and how rewarding they were. Just word of mouth.
    You’re thinking of the wartable I think. Garrisons had shops you could add to them for crafting that gave you quests and dailies, it literally had farming nodes for gathering professions, and it had garrison raids or whatever the fuck they were called where waves of enemies would attack and you could fend them off (think of mount hyjal trash mobs).

They added something later on like docks for ships or something but I was way checked the fuck out at that point so I have no idea how that worked.

I mean, you're asking when was the last time Blizzard went wild a few days after season 4 just started.

So I'd say a few days ago.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think the take-away here is that they don't quite utilize these systems how you think in the end.
    They use them for inspiration for future content a lot of the time, pushing their horizons for what's possible to do with the game.
    There's bound to be hits and misses but where nothing is ventured nothing is gained. In any case the game has to renew itself and keep coming up with new ideas for players new and old to keep returning.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

I call it "Great idea - terrible implementation". It has been Blizzards' motto for a long time already. Since Cata it started to feel more and more like their budget was cut despite of billion $ of revenue.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, you're asking when was the last time Blizzard went wild a few days after season 4 just started.

So I'd say a few days ago.
    Tbh that’s kinda fair. They did add a ton of stuff that is actually fairly out of the box ideas that I think are healthy for the game.

(I would also be a fan of them recycling content also making more super old dungeons and raids actually relevant)

Tbh that’s kinda fair. They did add a ton of stuff that is actually fairly out of the box ideas that I think are healthy for the game.

(I would also be a fan of them recycling content also making more super old dungeons and raids actually relevant)
    They did kinda, you can get decent gear from doing timewalking, but current endgame is always better, as it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah garrisons were player housing, you could pick where/which buildings you wanted. You're thinking of the mission table, which has been in every expansion since WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Garrisons was on purpose. They didnt want to do player housing and have since used it to excuse why they wont do player housing.
    Warmode is fine.
    Warfronts and Isle were such missed opprotunities. But they wanted to rush BfA out the door early on, so did. A shame.
    Visions were just a test run of future systems, not intended to stay in the first place.
    Torghast being abandoned is and always will be one of their biggest mess ups. It was a system that could have lasted for years and given players things to do, but they dropped it, ignoring why people had problems with it and never seeking to improve anything.
    Isles were more or less an extension of scenarios, so they lasted for a bit. This probably started with perhaps the Battle for Undercity, highly scripted and instanced. But more recent expansions have gotten crazy with phasing, and that kills the need for scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    They did kinda, you can get decent gear from doing timewalking, but current endgame is always better, as it should be.
    Meh I don’t mean timewalking, that’s not really “relevant”.

What they are doing with mythic dungeons in dragonflight is relevant.

If they had a rotation of raids/mythics that implemented old with new that would amazing. I’m not asking for no new content, but it would be nice to have new mixed in with old.

And I’m not trying to be ‘nostalgic’ either here. The problem is blizzard has always just had the current raid of that patch and the current dungeons for the expansion and that’s it. The burnout on this comes fucking FAST.

If they had a rotation of old dungeons every week and maybe a rotation of raids as well (like have another lockout for an old raid that offered current raid level gear) you would literally never get bored with the dungeons offered.

Wow has something like 130 dungeons all together? And something like 50 or so raids. Just throwing that in there for current gear would be great. Timewalking isn’t really the same I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    It's the usual "if anyone at any point can get the same power level as those who do premade content then we won't do it"

Ironically titanforging was the only system since Ion took over that allowed for that so obviously it had to be removed. Imagine after you walking around in your heroic raid gear for months a casual got a single heroic piece from doing queued or solo content, the game would break.
    Titanforging predates Ion. It was a MoP feature.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg