Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account

Games crashing - Brand new computer

Hello nice people,

I have some issues with my new selfbuild computer. Ive run out of ideas.. i searched and did everything (i think)

Dota 2 is atm. the most common game i play, wich i why its where i have encountered the problem.. i can play 1 min, 8 min or whatever, and then game just shuts down.

Setup is:

I7-12700K
    ASUS TUF 3080 V2 OC
    32 GB Corsair ram 3200mhz
    Z690 Gigabyte ASUS UD DDR4
    Windows 11 pro
    Nocturna D-NH15 cooler
    Corsair 850M PSU

Like i said, i think i have tried everything, every small and big gimmick i could find on the internet...
    Only thing im a bit unsure of are my drivers.. for some reason, they all seem to check out but i have that stomach feeling - cant really explain it.

Any ideas? hope you can help me, its frustrating as hell.....

NEW INFO

Its not just dota 2. Its also modern warfare, but NOT Hearthstone.. so.. its under heavy'er load the games crash...
    Last edited by JoeGood; 2022-08-05 at 09:02 PM.

I assume by "the game just shuts down." you mean you are getting a "Crash to Desktop".

Have you checked to see if there are any dump files created for dota2? Hearing something like this immediately makes me think of one of a few things:
    1) Bad/Corrupt graphics driver. Possibly need to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to purge all graphics drivers and reinstall drivers clean
    2) Memory corruption. Lots of possibilities here, the kit could be bad (unlikely but possible) or your overclock/bios setting could be screwing you (more likely imo). Memtest from a bootable usb stick is the best way to test this, but that can be complicated for some. I usually would opt to power down the machine, unplug the machine, and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. After ~30 seconds or so, put it back in, plug the computer back in and boot up. If that fixes it, great, if it doesn't its then worth trying memtest.
    3) And finally the obvious corrupt game files. Pretty common, verifying game file integrity is worth running as it takes very little time, but I'm assuming you already did this.

If you have a dmp file (.dmp or .mdmp extension sometimes) I might be able to take a peek, but issues like this often take some trial and error. A dump would definitely help clarify what exact issue you are having, e.g. if you see a kernel address being used in usermode, or a slight offset from null, etc...

Okay idk if this is the same thing but my buddy JUST bought a 3080 as well and had this exact same issue. He told me that the cards manufacturer should have a hotfix for you to download for your drivers that didn’t come through the automatic update.

I guess the card somehow either over volts itself or something so the processes have been crashing.

Try downloading the driver specifically from the website not the software tool
    Last edited by Somic; 2022-08-05 at 07:41 PM.

Game shuts down or computer shuts down? Does you screen go black and then recover? What happens? My instant feeling is that if you computer just shuts down.. your PSU cannot handle the transient power spikes and triggers protections.

You don't say which Corsair PSU you have, I assume it's TX850M, but they are usually solid.

Dota 2 certainly isn't the most GPU intensive workload so makes me wonder if it would be memory/CPU boosting dependant. If you have enabled some sort of OC on your CPU, first thing would probably be to disable it and if that does nothing you should probably try stress tests on your CPU, memory and GPU seperately.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Game shuts down or computer shuts down? Does you screen go black and then recover? What happens? My instant feeling is that if you computer just shuts down.. your PSU cannot handle the transient power spikes and triggers protections.

You don't say which Corsair PSU you have, I assume it's TX850M, but they are usually solid.

Dota 2 certainly isn't the most GPU intensive workload so makes me wonder if it would be memory/CPU boosting dependant. If you have enabled some sort of OC on your CPU, first thing would probably be to disable it and if that does nothing you should probably try stress tests on your CPU, memory and GPU seperately.
    Game just crashes, it closes down out to the desktop, and i get that thinking circle on my mouse curser for 3-5 seconds and thats it.

Im not into OC at any kind, so i dont thing i messed with anything there, atleast not on purpose.
    Corsair RM850 850W PSU thats the PSU im using.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Okay idk if this is the same thing but my buddy JUST bought a 3080 as well and had this exact same issue. He told me that the cards manufacturer should have a hotfix for you to download for your drivers that didn’t come through the automatic update.

I guess the card somehow either over volts itself or something so the processes have been crashing.

Try downloading the driver specifically from the website not the software tool
    Thx, its worth a try

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cratez View Post
    I assume by "the game just shuts down." you mean you are getting a "Crash to Desktop".

Have you checked to see if there are any dump files created for dota2? Hearing something like this immediately makes me think of one of a few things:
    1) Bad/Corrupt graphics driver. Possibly need to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to purge all graphics drivers and reinstall drivers clean
    2) Memory corruption. Lots of possibilities here, the kit could be bad (unlikely but possible) or your overclock/bios setting could be screwing you (more likely imo). Memtest from a bootable usb stick is the best way to test this, but that can be complicated for some. I usually would opt to power down the machine, unplug the machine, and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. After ~30 seconds or so, put it back in, plug the computer back in and boot up. If that fixes it, great, if it doesn't its then worth trying memtest.
    3) And finally the obvious corrupt game files. Pretty common, verifying game file integrity is worth running as it takes very little time, but I'm assuming you already did this.

If you have a dmp file (.dmp or .mdmp extension sometimes) I might be able to take a peek, but issues like this often take some trial and error. A dump would definitely help clarify what exact issue you are having, e.g. if you see a kernel address being used in usermode, or a slight offset from null, etc...
    - i will try the driver thing, the rest you are explaying is mumbo jumbo for me - 3. i did that part. - thx for giving it a go

This is going to sound dumb but uninstall your sound driver and reinstall it. I had the fight of a life time with windows 11 and games for a minute but then for some reason the sound crapped out one day and I wiped the old drivers and install the newest ones (note just upgrading didnt seem to work) and it fixed all crashing issues. Not saying its what you are dealing with.. but its an easy worth a shot try.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    NEW INFO

Its not just dota 2. Its also modern warfare, but NOT Hearthstone.. so.. its under heavy'er load the games crash...

I have been reading further arround, and some people suggest the PSU being a problem..

https://gpuz.techpowerup.com/22/08/05/9de.png

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGood View Post
    NEW INFO

I have been reading further arround, and some people suggest the PSU being a problem..

https://gpuz.techpowerup.com/22/08/05/9de.png

Did you try using DDU and uninstalling drivers and reinstalling new ones yet? Again this is the exact same thing my friend did and he ended up buying a 1000w PSU and it ended up being a driver issue.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somic View Post
    Did you try using DDU and uninstalling drivers and reinstalling new ones yet? Again this is the exact same thing my friend did and he ended up buying a 1000w PSU and it ended up being a driver issue.
    - yup, and that didnt help. I fixed the problem for now i think, i disabled XMP in the bios, and i havent crashed since...

- yup, and that didnt help. I fixed the problem for now i think, i disabled XMP in the bios, and i havent crashed since...
    That means your Memory is probably crap, try a memory test, then RMA it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    That means your Memory is probably crap, try a memory test, then RMA it.
    - ill try that when i get home, but what does RMA mean?

- ill try that when i get home, but what does RMA mean?
    RMA is returning a product for a refund.

Field Marshal
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    RMA is returning a product for a refund.
    Ah thank you - how do i test my ram as best as possible? and what do i need to look for and be aware of?

Ah thank you - how do i test my ram as best as possible? and what do i need to look for and be aware of?
    I would try re-seating the RAM first, making sure they're installed correctly. If you are running 2 sticks of RAM, make sure they're in slot 2 and 4.
    If the problem persists remove the RAM and then try 1 stick at a time.
    If it works with 1 stick and not the other, you'll know you have gotten a bad stick of memory.

If it keeps failing you can most likely rule out the RAM as the issue.

EDIT: Just saw the above comment about it working fine without XMP. I haven't personally tried a memory test but according to this article there is a built-in tool in Windows.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how...-for-problems/
    Last edited by Acelius; 2022-08-09 at 07:54 AM.

Hello nice people,

I have some issues with my new selfbuild computer. Ive run out of ideas.. i searched and did everything (i think)

Dota 2 is atm. the most common game i play, wich i why its where i have encountered the problem.. i can play 1 min, 8 min or whatever, and then game just shuts down.

Setup is:

I7-12700K
    ASUS TUF 3080 V2 OC
    32 GB Corsair ram 3200mhz
    Z690 Gigabyte ASUS UD DDR4
    Windows 11 pro
    Nocturna D-NH15 cooler
    Corsair 850M PSU

Like i said, i think i have tried everything, every small and big gimmick i could find on the internet...
    Only thing im a bit unsure of are my drivers.. for some reason, they all seem to check out but i have that stomach feeling - cant really explain it.

Any ideas? hope you can help me, its frustrating as hell.....

NEW INFO

Check the CPU condition, sometimes it may happen due to high CPU usage.

On GPU-Z can you change all the sensors to record highest reading and post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.