10+ Year Old Account
    Ref literally running of the pitch says enough.

I mean I don't know what the complaint with the on-field ref is. He called it initially no penalty, and then the mistake was made by calling him to the side to review it. We all know that the VAR ref who makes the decision to call the ref over is the real culprit here, when a ref is called over the ruling on the field is overturned like 99% of the time.

Unless there's some other egregious fouls you're talking about. I think the on-field ref called a few very light contact fouls on both sides, including one on the Netherlands that stopped (I think it was) Dumfries streaking down the right side with a clear break. None of the fouls really led to anything, besides the penalty call.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean I don't know what the complaint with the on-field ref is. He called it initially no penalty, and then the mistake was made by calling him to the side to review it. We all know that the VAR ref who makes the decision to call the ref over is the real culprit here, when a ref is called over the ruling on the field is overturned like 99% of the time.

Unless there's some other egregious fouls you're talking about. I think the on-field ref called a few very light contact fouls on both sides, including one on the Netherlands that stopped (I think it was) Dumfries streaking down the right side with a clear break. None of the fouls really led to anything, besides the penalty call.
    Every duel where both players held on to eachother, went to England.
    And he was called to the video screen. He still could've said to the VAR, nope still not a penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXXXII View Post
    Every duel where both players held on to eachother, went to England.
    And he was called to the video screen. He still could've said to the VAR, nope still not a penalty.
    When was the last time you saw a ref do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Netherlands are comfortably the worst coached team England have played in this tournament. Embarassing that they had Koeman in charge. You play against an England team that have been awful at progressing up the pitch all tournament and cede the midfield to them, utterly bizarre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    When was the last time you saw a ref do that?
    I've seen that plenty of times in the Dutch league last season. If a foul is crystal clear, there is no need to call the ref to the screen. Calling the ref to the screen is the VAR saying: We really can't tell, you have a look. We've seen this tournament that the British refs were the worst of the bunch, so I'm not surprised you haven't seen a ref saying nope after watching the screen.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2024-07-10 at 10:08 PM.

Much better from England tonight. Was never going to be an emphatic win, could have gone either way, but thought England had the better of it. Was never a penalty, wasn't reckless - VAR shouldn't have intervened but there you go. Recurring theme isn't it. Clear and obvious? Foden - unlucky, my son - great game.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXXXII View Post
    I've seen that plenty of times in the Dutch league last season. If a foul is crystal clear, there is no need to call the ref to the screen. Calling the ref to the screen is the VAR saying: We really can't tell, you have a look. We've seen this tournament that the British refs were the worst of the bunch, so I'm not surprised you haven't seen a ref saying nope after watching the screen.
    Really? You've not seen the Ref overrule VAR once during this entire championship! I know you've always had hate a hate boner for the English, and you'll be able to cheer for yet another country on Sunday, but no ref from any country has done what you're suggesting. VAR decisions have been upheld a 100% of the time and is common practice in this tournament as it was in the Champions league and the last world cup. Did anyone really have any doubt as he went to the monitor that it was going to be a penalty? Maybe its the Dutch league that is doing it wrong? Interestingly enough the English were very unhappy with getting this ref considering his history.

As for the penalty that's a free kick that's been given all tournament, studs to an opponents foot and its always been a booking when it happens. I wish penalties weren't given for such things but they are and you cant argue with the consistency of decision regarding that kind of contact during the Euros.

You've mentioned around 10 times its all the refs fault, but never once that the Netherlands played like crap, or the tactically inept coaching conceding the midfield to an England team that has struggled to assert itself when teams put even a modicum pressure on them in their own half or around the half way line. Or that for 80% of the match England were the better team. Its a lack of accountability that comes with the bias you demonstrate that or a really poor analytical awareness paired with the reluctance to give the horrible English any credit

We showed glimpses today of the side we should be, and I honestly believe we have seen the worst that England can be. So for the final, yep, Spain are big favorites, but that's going to suit the English, we play better against better teams, we play the underdog well, we play with a fuck you attitude when everybody hates us, coming into the final playing with house-money is a great position to be in. And if we do stink our way to the championship, I think I can deal with that.

Noone was talking about Spain as potential winner 3 weeks ago and maybe we have seen the best of them, I know if I was to pick from the top 6 regarded sides in the tournament right now I would chose Spain as the team we could beat, I have a nagging confidence that I wish I didnt.

Buzzing right now, cant wait for Sunday

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Back to back finals for southgate, Knighthoods in the post.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

[x] Luckboxing their way to 2/3 finals due to having cakewalk brackets.
    [x] Relying on individual brilliance to mask Southgate's ineptitude.
    [x] English media creating a narrative around a "ref" in order to manufacture consent and turn the tide in their favor.

It's truly a remarkable feat, because, objectively speaking, it was never a pen in a million years. Only 2 minutes of added time was disgraceful as well. Spain will trounce these frauds on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by EURO2016champs View Post
    [x] Luckboxing their way to 2/3 finals due to having cakewalk brackets.
    [x] Relying on individual brilliance to mask Southgate's ineptitude.
    [x] English media creating a narrative around a "ref" in order to manufacture consent and turn the tide in their favor.

It's truly a remarkable feat, because, objectively speaking, it was never a pen in a million years. Only 2 minutes of added time was disgraceful as well. Spain will trounce these frauds on Sunday.
    Loving the salt but you talk nonsense of course, there is no objectivity to decisions like fouls, its always 100% subjective, its even written in the laws "If in the OPINION of the referee...." just like your opinion was also subjective. Do you know about football?

Also winning your group, when France and Belgium failed do , missing out to the mighty Romania and Austria. which is what put all the heavy-weights to that side of the draw how exactly is that Englands responsibility? In your unbiased objective opinion? (right? lol)

Individual brilliance you mean like 16 year old Yamals goal for Spain? Thats fucking diabolical! How dare they?

I have no idea about manufacturing consent paranoia what-not, so Ill just say you're right because everything else was wrong
    Last edited by Marleycat; 2024-07-11 at 01:19 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Bellingham definitely wont be complaining about the ref this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unalorian View Post
    Being relevant is not only being champion. On the top of my head without much thinking I remember Senegal upsetting defending champions France in 2002, Ghana in 2010, Costa Rica sending Italy and England home in group phase of 2014 and South Korea upsetting defending champions Germany and sending them home in group phase in 2018. I can't remember anything at this level of entertainment happening on the EC, maybe Iceland from some years ago?
    Upsets do happen, but consistency matters. There's always the "curse of defending champions", too. Germany was dispatched and upset in 2018 after that humiliating win over Brazil (7-1) on their home soil. Same for Spain, they got upset and dispatched in the first round in 2014 after winning in 2010. I'm not saying sometimes countries outside of Europe don't do well, but it's so seldom and far in between, you hardly see a team outside of the usual suspects in the semi-finals. Turkey did surprisingly well this Euro cup, that was probably the biggest surprise. I think Morocco was the big surprise in Qatar, but they had the sentimental favorites momentum since Qatar itself wouldn't do well in a cup if every other country's players played with lead cleats and kicked with their left foot.

Also, congrats to England, Harry Kane finally scores. Now they better take it home after taking the Dutch out! Take Spain out!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Well Bellingham definitely wont be complaining about the ref this time!
    Although he did book him for kicking the Dutch player on the top of the foot, which apparently isnt even a foul in Netherlands

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post

Also, congrats to England, Harry Kane finally scores. Now they better take it home after taking the Dutch out! Take Spain out!
    Yes finally, I mean he hasn't scored since...well the winner a week ago, PS hes also joint leader in the Euro Championship golden boot

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Screw kane it's kobbie maino carrying England.

Spain are obviously favourites but they have a real chance of winning. Finals can go either way and the squad does have a lot of experience from last finals which helps
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    Really? You've not seen the Ref overrule VAR once during this entire championship! I know you've always had hate a hate boner for the English, and you'll be able to cheer for yet another country on Sunday, but no ref from any country has done what you're suggesting. VAR decisions have been upheld a 100% of the time and is common practice in this tournament as it was in the Champions league and the last world cup.
    Has it actually ever happened? I'm trying to think of one UEFA or FIFA tournament match since its inception when I've seen a ref overrule VAR and can't.

With the exception of goal-line decisions, I can't stand its interference when it comes to minutiae. If the stated philosophy is to correct clear and obvious errors, it should stick to it. They also need to start releasing audio

Re. hate boners - bantz dude, it's bantz. Leave them to it. Unless you're 1970s Brazil, you're gonna get flack. 2010 Spain? 1974 NL? 1998 France? That sort of emphatic domination happens rarely. Personally, I've enjoyed the fact there's been no one stand-out team this tournament (except maybe Spain - but even them, the result against Germany was hardly emphatic was it) and that the underdogs have provided some of the best football / games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not have a hate boner for England, in fact I wish them all the best against Spain and hope they win, although it's going to be tough.
    Besides last nights clown, the English referees were the worst this tournament, to which most of your countrymen agree.
    Dumfries tried to block the ball, studs weren't aiming at Kane, they only pointed at Kane when he pivoted away after shooting and he kicked Dumfries,not the other way around. The VAR was watching that footage over and over and completely missed the obvious handball made by Saka right before that moment. That gave Kane enough time to visit Lourdes to heal his broken foot so he can use the same foot to take the penalty.

And I've said plenty of time this tournament that our team wasn't that good and Koeman is a terrible manager. What the hell was he thinking when Depay got injured? Getting a extra midfielder in, so the only two dangerous players had to leave their position, only to correct it halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleycat View Post
    Loving the salt but you talk nonsense of course, there is no objectivity to decisions like fouls, its always 100% subjective, its even written in the laws "If in the OPINION of the referee...." just like your opinion was also subjective. Do you know about football?

Also winning your group, when France and Belgium failed do , missing out to the mighty Romania and Austria. which is what put all the heavy-weights to that side of the draw how exactly is that Englands responsibility? In your unbiased objective opinion? (right? lol)

Individual brilliance you mean like 16 year old Yamals goal for Spain? Thats fucking diabolical! How dare they?

I have no idea about manufacturing consent paranoia what-not, so Ill just say you're right because everything else was wrong

You're not very astute. Salty?

Cute, but I genuinely couldn't care less. Being emotionally invested in any sport is a giant waste of time. When you wake up and realize that sporting events were manufactured to divert the public's attention away from more pressing issues, you will realize how artificial everything in society is. The Romans weren't responsible for creating chariot races and blood sport solely for the sake of it.

As if one moment of brilliance is comparable to, say, more than a dozen or so since Southgate's appointment. Honestly, mate, it's the hope that kills you in the end; you should have learned this by now. Spain plays like an actual cohesive unit, unlike the mishmash of crap we've seen from England over the last decade under Southgate's reign.

And for the synthetic, glory-hunting American, stick to watching handegg. I couldn't help but cringe reading that load of garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Studs forward:

15+ Year Old Account
    England played alright yesterday, not enough to beat Spain but we all know on the night anything can happen.

However the ref had an absolute howler, one after the other bad calls. English media were right to question his abilities beforehand (even if it was due to a scandal or whatever it was), and what they feared happened but actually worked in England's advantage.

I agree about being emotionally invested in sports being a waste of time. I also feel you should try to be unbiased in opinions and be able to admit if your team dived, or got bad calls in their favor.