1. #1

    Study shows link between climate hazards and diseases.

    https://apnews.com/article/science-h...9b6c2f014b3b02

    Climate hazards such as flooding, heat waves and drought have worsened more than half of the hundreds of known infectious diseases in people, including malaria, hantavirus, cholera and anthrax, a study says.

    Researchers looked through the medical literature of established cases of illnesses and found that 218 out of the known 375 human infectious diseases, or 58%, seemed to be made worse by one of 10 types of extreme weather connected to climate change, according to a study in Monday’s journal Nature Climate Change.

    The study mapped out 1,006 pathways from the climate hazards to sick people. In some cases downpours and flooding sicken people through disease-carrying mosquitos, rats and deer. There are warming oceans and heat waves that taint seafood and other things we eat and droughts that bring bats carrying viral infections to people.
    It's time to start treating climate change like the serious threat to human life that it is.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    https://apnews.com/article/science-h...9b6c2f014b3b02



    It's time to start treating climate change like the serious threat to human life that it is.

    Ok, I will start right now.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    https://apnews.com/article/science-h...9b6c2f014b3b02



    It's time to start treating climate change like the serious threat to human life that it is.
    Old news.

    Central Europe about get to know Malaria in the coming decades.

  4. #4
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    35,056
    I started treating it that way long ago, back when Al Gore was warning us about this shit in his bid to become president. But instead we got Dick Cheney's sock puppet because the Supreme Court threw out and "lost" a ton of Florida ballots from urban centers.

    Makes you wonder what would have happened if 2000 went the way it was supposed to go.
    Plenty of people have been holding their breath waiting for me to fail. I think they all suffocated years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just came here to remind people that the right has no moral conscious. If they ever try to morally scold you, it's not because they think what you're doing is wrong. Is because it's effective, and want to discourage you from doing it.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Old news.

    Central Europe about get to know Malaria in the coming decades.
    We're ahead of you, pal. Malaria mosquitos only breed in wetlands so we kill all our forests and turn our country to desert! Very handy for shooting sequels for Dune.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    We're ahead of you, pal. Malaria mosquitos only breed in wetlands so we kill all our forests and turn our country to desert! Very handy for shooting sequels for Dune.
    I can't wait for it to land in on our native mosquitos in Finland.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I can't wait for it to land in on our native mosquitos in Finland.
    Jesus. Just looking at that pic made my feet itch.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Old news.

    Central Europe about get to know Malaria in the coming decades.
    Well, it is actually a re-introduction.

    Europe and N. America eradicated Malaria in the last century after it having spread during the previous centuries.

    Even Finland had malaria in the 1800s and 1900s, but it was the primarily indoor variant and it was eradicated by just having smaller households - https://malariajournal.biomedcentral...1475-2875-4-19 https://malariajournal.biomedcentral...1475-2875-8-94

    Not saying that it is good that it returns, just that diseases can be more complicated.

  9. #9
    study shows that studies draw what ever conclusion that they are paid to draw....

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Well, it is actually a re-introduction.

    Europe and N. America eradicated Malaria in the last century after it having spread during the previous centuries.

    Even Finland had malaria in the 1800s and 1900s, but it was the primarily indoor variant and it was eradicated by just having smaller households - https://malariajournal.biomedcentral...1475-2875-4-19 https://malariajournal.biomedcentral...1475-2875-8-94

    Not saying that it is good that it returns, just that diseases can be more complicated.
    Malaria was a problem in Italy for the Roman Republic
    - Lars

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by motorized View Post
    study shows that studies draw what ever conclusion that they are paid to draw....
    Do we even need studies for this, though?

    Deforestation leads to more animals suddenly living among humans, which increases the chances of interspecies transmission.
    As climate gets more extreme, the entire foodchain experiments massive changes. Key animals disappear, causing others to multiply without control, such as plagues of mosquitoes carrying all kinds of illnesses further than ever before.
    Floods and droughts (and the resulting starvation) make people more vulnerable to diseases, which also increases the risk of mutations.
    Even the melting of the permafrost could release ancient viruses that current living beings aren't immune to.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2022-08-10 at 09:49 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Malaria was a problem in Italy for the Roman Republic
    Yes. It has a somewhat long history of being present in Europe (well, not too long - it seems Malaria exploded with humans) - and in many countries, Italy included, it was deliberately eradicated recently.

    We can likely do it again - but it will have an impact.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •