Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

WoW is likely one of the greatest games of all time.

Idgaf how you feel about this expansion or that expansion. Or what parts of the lore you like or don't like. Even at it's worst patches of its worst expansions WoW was revolutionary and that's why it stood the test of time so far.

Edit: I'm glad everyone has kept this civil. I realize this is entirely subjective opinion and I don't mean to call it "the" greatest game. But something about the game, not the patches, the changes but the underlying, unchanging structure of the game itself, the classes, the arenas and pvp, the ui, the whole design of the game just offers a 'feel" to playing that none of the wow killer mmos have been able to succeed at. And the game just keeps people addicted, made a huge impact on everything etc. And definitely places it in the hall of Fame. Of course wow had it's "glory days" and its greatness is weighted towards that, but I'm just referring to the game as a whole and it's legacy. That's truly the only way I can describe it as far as mmos go is when I try any other.. it's just the "feel" of playing that I can't replicate. Even simple things such as the text and graphics contribute to that
    Last edited by Bandit446; 2022-08-08 at 11:55 PM.

nice blog...you're gonna get a huge argument going and this thread might be locked but....

in a weird way yes not exactly MY cup of tea and wow isn't even in my top 10 but the impact this game did to the video game world cannot be understated. Wow currently is the only MMO to break the niche category and actually have mainstream success. Hell I can argue wow did to MMOs what FF7 did to JRPGS.

WoW is what, 18 years old now? Love or hate the game today, there's no arguing the billion$ of dollars it has made for Blizzard and Activation, like no other game has. In it's heyday was probably pulling in close to $3 billion a year, and now in it's lower least popular time, it's still pulling in a couple hundred million a year, at almost two decades old.

That's not profit numbers, but still serious money over the last 20 years for Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is definitely one of the games of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit446 View Post
    Idgaf how you feel about this expansion or that expansion. Or what parts of the lore you like or don't like. Even at it's worst patches of its worst expansions WoW was revolutionary and that's why it stood the test of time so far.
    Game of Thrones was one of the greatest shows of all time, until it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    WoW is definitely one of the games of all time.
    And its playerbase is some of the all time as well.

It kind of is in the same way The Simpsons is the greatest sitcom of all time

WoW is certainly one of the best single-player games out there. And if you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    nice blog...you're gonna get a huge argument going and this thread might be locked but....

in a weird way yes not exactly MY cup of tea and wow isn't even in my top 10 but the impact this game did to the video game world cannot be understated. Wow currently is the only MMO to break the niche category and actually have mainstream success. Hell I can argue wow did to MMOs what FF7 did to JRPGS.
    Not in your top 10 yet you have an account and post on its fan site. Seems weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haediff View Post
    was*

/10char
    "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

-Ghostcrawler, probably
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    It kind of is in the same way The Simpsons is the greatest sitcom of all time
    Yeah this pretty much sums up my feelings on it. It's hard to argue the impact it used to have, but these days it's just kind of carted around as a hell of its former self, run by people who were fans of the original and don't know what made it good to begin with.

There's no denying that WoW was a monster of a game in its prime time, but these days it kind of just feels like a parody of itself.

I just realized not too long ago that WoW is indeed my favorite game of all time. My top 3 is WoW, Mega Man 2, and Mortal Kombat. Sometimes that order switches up, but right now i'm feeling WoW big time.

I don't know if anyone is like me but, I hit WoW like 6 months at a time, and I hit it hard but then I fall out of it for 6-11 months without wanting to touch it. It is what it is.

Off to log in...

5+ Year Old Account
    Hehe, I can see some positive vibes here. Keep it up my friends. Share some love!

I know people who are "hardcore gamers" who have barely even heard of WoW, or consider it and extremely niche game, like ANNO, or Train Simulator. It has certainly been influential, and has spawned a movie, books, toys, and a seemingly endless stream of merch. But I genuinely believe wow players/fans think wow is a MUCH bigger deal than it actually is.

Its never reached the mainstream heights of something like COD, or FIFA, and hasnt been as impactful as something like Mario Bros, or Tetris, or Wolf/Doom, but is certainly in those conversations for sure. I think it has changed so much that it will likely suffer the same fate as The Simpsons - profitable enough to keep going for YEARS beyond its best before date, but not profitable enough to actually put much effort or care into it, or take any risks.

Sadly, imo, its going the way of many tv shows - The Simpsons is the obvious comparison but not the only one - to a lesser extent Scrubs did the same thing, and even That 70s show really fell off a cliff towards the end - the difference there is they DID recognize the decline and pulled the pin quite quickly. These days it reminds me more of one of those pure cheese soap/drama shows on during the day - days of our lives or whatever - i was at a clients house and the music started for one of those types of shows - cant remember the name - same song and opening as in the 80s, just recycling the same 5 story lines every couple seasons and endlessly going around and around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

love it in the past or present. hate it in the past or present. but when you were on this game when ever you loved it, you played the fucking shit out of it. GOAT MMO hands down no debate. Top 5 Best games of all time.

It was once for me too but that was along time ago, have you seen the gaming market lately and the absolute ton of amazing games? I have a hard time making just a top 10 these days.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    love it in the past or present. hate it in the past or present. but when you were on this game when ever you loved it, you played the fucking shit out of it. GOAT MMO hands down no debate. Top 5 Best games of all time.
    Just fyi, saying "no debate" doesnt mean people cannot disagree with you. I dont have it in top 5 and have played since launch. But i do agree its "top 5 mmos" but thats really a big fish in a tiny pond.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-08-08 at 10:09 PM.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Love or hate the game today, there's no arguing the billion$ of dollars it has made for Blizzard and Activation, like no other game has.
    Mmm, I hate to break it to you, but it's barely in the top twenty.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    It was once for me too but that was along time ago, have you seen the gaming market lately and the absolute ton of amazing games? I have a hard time making just a top 10 these days.
    I can see there being a very strong argument for it being the best / one of the best MMOs, but i think it falls well short when compared to ALL games from ALL genres.