Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Easily the greatest so far. I love a lot of video games, but none of them have I played for almost every day for 18 years besides WoW. I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Just fyi, saying "no debate" doesnt mean people cannot disagree with you. I dont have it in top 5 and have played since launch. But i do agree its "top 5 mmos" but thats really a big fish in a tiny pond.
    just fyi saying "no debate" means i could care fucking less what anyone has to say even when they just have to chime in like you did. and yet it still happened.......

There really hasn't been a game that's kept me around since launch. If I was a newer player, I probably wouldn't play it. But I was a kid and hooked and worlds / stories like Lord of the rings, Eragon, ect. When I came across Warcraft 3, I was instantly hooked by the world. Its a huge reason why I was so pissed at how Arthas and a lot of huge lore pieces have been handled recently. I do want to see this game through since its already been a huge part of my life. But its not the main focus. So I agree with this.

No other game ( in my experience ) has ever kept me around for as long as wow has.

Peak players? Many mobile games have hundreds of millions of players. Box sales? Not even close. Longevity? again no, not even within mmos. Give me a single way you calculate it as the greatest - or one of the greatest (i would say that is top 3, maybe top 5 at most).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    That's not the point of the thread. Nothing subjective about those datas. While what you are saying is.
    And being the best among low quality content is not something I would bloat about. But yeah probably the best one.
    How do you calculate what success is? No - you can't look at sub numbers or meta critic.

It's not that easy to conclude.

It's like i'm selling you soccer uniforms, but you are interested in golf. But basketball is right now more popular due to Micheal Jordan shoes(pointing out some silly example). What's good is subjective - and makes this thread really stupid.

You and the kind is the reason for why Blizzard stopped sharing sub numbers. Apparently - everybody is working at Wall Street as buisness analyst.

#1 You can't compare free games vs. paid games.
    #2 You can't compare mobile games vs. non mobile games.
    #3 You can't compare Tony Hawks, Call of Duty to WoW. Do you also compare Fifa to WoW - it's sounds like a crazy playerbase, knowing that people can be exclusive.
    #4 You CAN compare buisness models and how the buisness is performing.

Essentially = no buisness, no games.

Reasoning is simple - you have a target group. The group can consist of potential 8billion people on a phone or 1M skateboarders.

And if you decide to compare Activision Blizzard as a buisness model - just look here and how they perform, despite the scandal earlier this year:

Earnings are forecast to grow 11.12% per year
    https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/medi...ision-blizzard

Activision Blizzard is beating the average market by almost 100%(average is 6-8% in order to be considered growing - out performing Square Enix and other competition). If you look at how they been performing - you basicly would be rich if you had stocks since early 90s(the only major crack was during the grooming scandal - which they recovered from few weeks after). And no - not even the Cataclysm release was a setback.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-08-09 at 11:20 AM.

WoW definitely is one of the greatest games of all time, did someone ever doubt that? I mean it's one of the most successful video games on top of that. Not the recent WoW, the Classic - WotLK WoW. Maybe even Cataclysm. That's where it earned the title.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    How do you calculate what success is? No - you can't look at sub numbers or meta critic. It's not that easy to conclude.

It's like i'm selling you soccer uniforms, but you are interested in golf. But basketball is right now more popular due to Micheal Jordan shoes(pointing out some silly example). What's good is subjective - and makes this thread really stupid.

You and the kind is the reason for why Blizzard stopped sharing sub numbers. Apparently - everybody is working at Wall Street as buisness analyst.

#1 You can't compare free games vs. paid games.
    #2 You can't compare mobile games vs. non mobile games.
    #3 You can't compare Tony Hawks, Call of Duty to WoW. Do you also compare Fifa to WoW - these groups can be exclusive and not have interest in different games.
    #4 You CAN compare buisness models and how the buisness is performing.

Reasoning is simple - you have a target group. The group can consist of potential 8billion people on a social media or 1M people soccer fans.

And if you decide to compare Activision Blizzard as a buisness model - just look here and how they perform, despite the scandal:

https://simplywall.st/stocks/ca/phar...annabis-shares

Activision Blizzard is beating the average market by 100%(average is 6-8% in order to be considered growing). If you look at how they been performing - you basicly would be rich if you had stocks since early 90s(the only major crack was during the grooming scandal - which they recovered from few weeks after).
    ... I gave two links. I don't put personal feelings in it. Worldwide critics of the game and worldwide trend of the game.
    One says it's not one of the greatest game of all time. And one says it's one of the most popular.

I don't know what you are trying to do here. And I don't care about your personal opinion on this subject. Again that's not the goal of this post.

Is it one of the greatest game game of all time ? No. Is it a popular one ? Yes.

... I gave two links. I don't put personal feelings in it. Worldwide critics of the game and worldwide trend of the game.
    One says it's not one of the greatest game of all time. And one says it's one of the most popular.

I don't know what you are trying to do here. And I don't care about your personal opinion on this subject. Again that's not the goal of this post.

Is it one of the greatest game game of all time ? No. Is it a popular one ? Yes.
    I was just replying to universal hater Arkannon(and im the whitest knight here).

Nothing personal - but I did respond to you as well, given that I thought you wanted to pick a fight(like we do in a debate forum).
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2022-08-09 at 11:19 AM.

I was just replying to universal hater Arkannon(and im the whitest knight here).

Nothing personal - but I did respond to you as well, given that I thought you wanted to pick a fight(like we do in a debate forum).
    Bah nothing to debate here. Wow is not one of the greatest game of all time. And the opinion of people on a wow forum is as much interesting on the subject than the opinion of people on a fortnite forum.

15+ Year Old Account
    People can hate Blizzard all they want, but their games are legendary and Warcraft/WoW, Diablo and Starcraft games that have changed gaming.
    Even today there is no competition to WoW.

Bah nothing to debate here. Wow is not one of the greatest game of all time. And the opinion of people on a wow forum is as much interesting on the subject than the opinion of people on a fortnite forum.
    I disagree.

You can compare a Ford from 69 to a Tesla. But you can't market the old car as the market need today.

Just like you can't sell the idea of a 16bit Zelda game to a teenager today.

That's a fact.

I disagree.

You can compare a Ford from 69 to a Tesla. But you can't market the old car as the market need today.

Just like you can't sell the idea of a 16bit Zelda game to a teenager today.

That's a fact.
    And what's the point ? Most of the greatest games of all times are from different genres, and times. Wow is not one of them. Like fortnite.
    But both are very popular.

The opinion of people on a wow forum on the subject is completely irrelevant.

And what's the point ? Most of the greatest games of all times are from different genres, and times. Wow is not one of them. Like fortnite.
    But both are very popular.

The opinion of people on a wow forum on the subject is completely irrelevant.
    But what you pointing out - you are just rejecting me blank.

You linked to google graphs and the metacritic score. And I say that it's not that easy to conclude.

Is that your contribution? Then just ignore me.

But what you pointing out - you are just rejecting me blank.

You linked to google graphs and the metacritic score. And I say that it's not that easy to conclude.

Is that your contribution? Then just ignore me.
    Well yeah, it's that easy.
    Metacritic is a merge of all professional critics of a game. And wow is not part of the highest ones of all time..

Google trends shows how popular something is. And it shows wow was a very popular game.

Of course you can say "it's the greatest" and someone can say "it's not the greatest". And do that on a hundred posts. But I clearly don't see the point. So yeah I can ignore the rest.

Well yeah, it's that easy.
    Metacritic is a merge of all professional critics of a game. And wow is not part of the highest ones of all time..

Google trends shows how popular something is. And it shows wow was a very popular game.

Of course you can say "it's the greatest" and someone can say "it's not the greatest". And do that on a hundred posts. But I clearly don't see the point. So yeah I can ignore the rest.
    Are you reading what you are typing?

Professional critics of a game? How do you compare 16bit Zelda game to a modern game?

Equally - you are supposed to compare WoW of all it's itteration for all the time.

Are you freaking kidding me.

5 pages of random dribble.

Any game that was a cultural phenomenon for a period (aka people that have no reason playing it, play it because of the hype) will always be one of the greats, and its a reason they survive longer or are famous for much longer than 1-2 years (not talking franchise like Cod/Battlefield, but specific game that still has insane numbers decade in) ,CS and later CS:GO, WoW, LoL , Dota, GTA V, hell even Skyrim can be considered, all games that ended up being played by people that should never even be allowed having internet because it became part of the "culture".

Talking sales is a silly measurement, a great game or a cultural game has nothing to do with its money making schemes.

If thats the way, FIFA is the greatest game of all times, go figure you have to be missing 99% of your braincells to actually buy that shit, but hey.
    Last edited by potis; 2022-08-09 at 12:16 PM.

It's hard to rank the game for me due to how long it's been around.

I would definitely rank vanilla through wolk as one of the best gaming experiences ever created.

I feel the quality dropped from cataclysm through to WoD, increased in Legion and then plummeted in BFA and SL.

Overall I would still probably put it in my top 3 games of all time due to how many hours I played it. I have higher /played time on other games, but WoW is right up there for me.

theres probably some comparison to be made between wow and the madden football series. madden was extremely popular from the 1980s into the 2000s but they started making incredibly terrible decisions with the IP like no longer supporting PC gaming, turning madden into some sort of crazy trading card game or dare i say an RPG or whatever the hell it is now. finally madden is a phone game where you go thru a slew of confusing minigames when you just want to open the app and play football. and all the way down this process, madden kept getting less and less popular and you start to see fans set up maddenlike private servers and ISOs to be able to enjoy the classic madden experience on PC because retail madden sucks and the devs refuse to remove all the nonsense and just make a football game again.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

More than Everquest? More than Fortnite? DayZ? Gran Turismo? Doom? Halflife? Tetris? Mario Bros? PacMan? Halo? GTA? Minecraft?
    Wow can be one of the greatest games of all time. So can pacman, Mario, tetris, halo. Fortnite? Eh maybe, seems to just be a lot of children playing might be a quick boom and bust but we'll see. This isn't about "THE greatest" or a "top 10". But not only has this game has 11 million players. It has 11 million players willing to pay 15 dollars a month, something you didn't see before then and other mmos failed at. It had a convention where thousands of fans would fly across the world. It had south park episodes. You ask anyone what world of warcraft is and most people would know it's a game of nerds. It defined it's genre and was designed impressively and addictively.

Wow is not one of the greatest game of all time.
    wow was on top of its genre for 15+ years, we still cant confirm its not till this day as competition dont publicise numbers either, but its probably not on top its "only" in top 3 most likely, despite its age, and thats just current state, over almost 2 decades about dozen or more games tried to dethrone it and failed miserably, it have immesurable impact on popculture, and in its prime it had more players than many countries have inhabitants, despite being sub based, did ANY other mmo ever achieved even half of that active playercount? afaik no, not even those without sub, and that was just active players, over 100m players tried it, thats more than population of any european country (well, russia have more, but thats hardly european country given most of it is in asia)...

whatever your opinion about wow might be, saying its not one of the greatest game of all time and best ever - BY FAR - in its genre is just incorrect

- - - Updated - - -

More than Everquest? More than Fortnite? DayZ? Gran Turismo? Doom? Halflife? Tetris? Mario Bros? PacMan? Halo? GTA? Minecraft?
    yes, yes, yes, yes, no, probably not, no, probably not, no, yes, yes, yes

- - - Updated - - -

Even Diablo Immortal has a bigger community than wow.
    did you even tried to read what i wrote? bcs your first sentance shows that you didnt even finish MY first sentance...
    bigger community doesnt mean "Greater" game... i dont know how to write it even simpler so you would understand it...

- - - Updated - - -

Since no one seems capable or willing to answer, give me one tangible measure where wow is the best game.
    read the thread, there was about 100 already mentioned, im not gonna repeat that just bcs you are unwiling to use whatever it is you have in your head...
    but ill give you one (that should be obvious but ok) - at its peak wow had over 12m active players, and over 100m accounts were created (more like 120m by now) please tell me about those mmorpgs that had more (and please, source, not just "this game SURELY had more)...
    and even IF (and thats huge if) you found one it wouldnt be sub based, which definitely should be considered...

its undeniable wow is past its prime, but denying it is (or at least was for 15 years) greatest in its genre is just ignorance, theres a reason why sdo many mmorpgs tried to be like wow and all are still to this day measured against it...
    since its creation, was there EVER a list of mmorpgs that didnt have WoW on it? other than "x games like wow"
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-08-09 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Blog-type" threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead