Poll: Do you support the USA and Europe intervening to protect Taiwan against China?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Nah we'll find more ways to prevent genocide and authoritarian brainwashing. Civilization is improving over history and is not doomed to repeat it forever.
    You may want to tell the United States that as we regularly take part and sponsor genocides all around the world. As for authoritarian brainwashing, I don't know what to say do you not know you are a Trump supporter? you know the guy who has convinced the right wing that the election was stolen from him.

Nah they would simply disapprove of the CCP until the CCP gives its citizens all the modern human rights and liberties of a liberal democracy. Even mainland Chinese people will eventually demand their human rights and basic freedoms at some point, regardless of what happens with Taiwan.
    The problem is China is neither truly communist nor capitalist, but a weird blend of the two, arguably epitomizing the worst aspects of both extremes, not the best. I admit, they have improved significantly in lots of regards, and have modernized themselves, but I think beneath the glamorous surface of beautiful and massive cities they show to the world, there is a much messier and more complicated picture. The amount of intense nationalist support from China's people for their government and military actions does not give me very much optimism for their future, or that of China's relations with its neighbors.

For example, the Chinese were largely cheering the killing of the former Japanese Prime Minister, while I read that most Taiwanese people were mourning him. It just goes to show the massive difference between their two peoples.
    https://www.newsweek.com/shinzo-abes...-china-1723012
    https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edi.../22/2003782191

Taiwan's past of course is also filled with lots of bloodshed, but lots of Taiwanese people have MOVED ON, unlike mainland China, it seems. For example, Taiwan's people chosen Japan, again and again, year after year, as their favorite country, despite the Nanjing Massacre actually targeting the Republic of China'scapital in the Second World War (the PRC established itself in Beijing after the war). Perhaps they choose not to dwell on the past, but rather focus on building a hopeful future.
    https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/tai.../19/2003775063

I read this article a while ago, which alleges that Taiwan was VERY close to developing nuclear weapons in the 1980s, but America more or less forced them to end the program. I kind of wonder though, whether that was truly the best choice. During the Cold War, China gave North Korea and Pakistan nuclear technology, and now both of them are able to keep South Korea and India at bay indefinitely.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39252502

This recent poll shows how most Chinese people regard other countries: the USA, India, Japan, Vietnam and South Korea were regarded with the most hostility, while North Korea, Pakistan and Russia were regarded among the most favorably.

https://thediplomat.com/2022/05/chin...on-of-ukraine/
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-08-17 at 05:26 AM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Nah they would simply disapprove of the CCP until the CCP gives its citizens all the modern human rights and liberties of a liberal democracy. Even mainland Chinese people will eventually demand their human rights and basic freedoms at some point, regardless of what happens with Taiwan.
    And most of us are aware you've likely claimed such crap earlier.

The status quo will probably continue in perpetuity. Or at least we'll be long dead if anything gets realized.

I don't think people should intervene i almost anything foreign... isolation is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    I don't think people should intervene i almost anything foreign... isolation is the way forward.
    Yea...that works so well...in your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And most of us are aware you've likely claimed such crap earlier.

The status quo will probably continue in perpetuity. Or at least we'll be long dead if anything gets realized.
    I would assume that at some point the growth of the middle and upper middle class will come to a struggle against the Party. But nationalism is far more deeply ingrained and that part will not change even if the political structure changes.

Nah we'll find more ways to prevent genocide and authoritarian brainwashing. Civilization is improving over history and is not doomed to repeat it forever.
    The only people I see doing the genocide and brainwashing, are conservatives.

absolutely. /s ... Remember last time USA went isolation mode until Japan riled the sleeping Eagle?

Also, Netherlands assisting in WW3? Do they even have an army still?

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    The only people I see doing the genocide and brainwashing, are conservatives.
    Yeah ideological blinders will do that. Paired with a massive dose of world ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    So all the people saying yes are OK if Russia intervenes to help protect Texas and Florida from the U.S right?

They could make their own NATO right?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    So all the people saying yes are OK if Russia intervenes to help protect Texas and Florida from the U.S right?

They could make their own NATO right?
    If you're ignorant of such things like, for a random example, capitalism and communism, then you could see it that way.

Yeah ideological blinders will do that. Paired with a massive dose of world ignorance.
    Nope, I was right. And you are nothing more than delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Nope, I was right. And you are nothing more than delusional.
    Sure why not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    If you're ignorant of such things like, for a random example, capitalism and communism, then you could see it that way.
    Good thing I know exactly what I’m always talking about and my example perfectly fits the narrative.

If people are ok interfering in other countries they have no right to complain the other way around.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    And China controlling Taiwan would allow its navy to project its power all over the Indo-Pacific region and the South China Sea.

That being said...it does seem somewhat rash for Pelosi to have visited there while Ukrainians are still dying every day at the hands of Russia. I'm not sure even the US and NATO could win a war against both China and Russia together (let alone North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, and all their allies).
    About ukraine, west stance there is ukraine's territorial integrity, buuuut one china policy, even though whole world incl. eu n usa say beijing inherits taiwan, west also say fuck territorial integrity when it comes to one-china!

Meanwhile never stops pestering china to support ukraine for the reasons west shrugs when it comes to taiwan...

Hypocritical much?

The US, actually the world, will have no choice but to intervene in the event of an attack by China.

Taiwan is the source of 90% of the world's advanced technology chips; two-third of global mature nodes chips - CMOS image sensors, display driver ICs, flash memory controllers, microcontrollers (MCUs), power MOSFETs, and power management ICs (PMICs); and 50% of the world's supply of DRAM chips. A war between China and Taiwan will cripple the world's economy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    absolutely. /s ... Remember last time USA went isolation mode until Japan riled the sleeping Eagle?

Also, Netherlands assisting in WW3? Do they even have an army still?
    Helping Japan's enemies, give Japan oil problems, is the opposite of being uninvolved in world's affairs, usa can hardly be called isolationist n latin america certainly wouldn't see it as such..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The US, actually the world, will have no choice but to intervene in the event of an attack by China.

Taiwan is the source of 90% of the world's advanced technology chips; two-third of global mature nodes chips - CMOS image sensors, display driver ICs, flash memory controllers, microcontrollers (MCUs), power MOSFETs, and power management ICs (PMICs); and 50% of the world's supply of DRAM chips. A war between China and Taiwan will cripple the world's economy.
    Oh, world war three will do wonders for the world economy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Helping Japan's enemies, give Japan oil problems, is the opposite of being uninvolved in world's affairs, usa can hardly be called isolationist n latin america certainly wouldn't see it as such..

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, world war three will do wonders for the world economy!
    That's a possibility. Wars were fought over scarce resources.

Taiwan's semiconductors are about as exclusive as they get. There are no other avenues to source them. The products are used in everything from washing machines, refrigerators, cars, airplanes, etc. Armed forces throughout the globe depend on those for their equipment.

I do believe that the rest of the world will risk WW3 for Taiwan. I can't stress this enough. The world runs on Taiwanese semiconductors.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-08-19 at 04:38 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    That's a possibility. Wars were fought over scarce resources.

Taiwan's semiconductors are about as exclusive as they get. There are no other avenues to source them. The products are used in everything from washing machines, refrigerators, cars, airplanes, etc. Armed forces throughout the globe depend on those for their equipment.

I do believe that the rest of the world will risk WW3 for Taiwan. I can't stress this enough. The world runs on Taiwanese semiconductors.
    If you think Europeans will go around the planet to pick a fight with the giant dragon right on its doorstep, then I am afraid you will have to wait a veryyy long time. Yanks are on their own n I think they will get cold feet...

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    If you think Europeans will go around the planet to pick a fight with the giant dragon right on its doorstep, then I am afraid you will have to wait a veryyy long time. Yanks are on their own n I think they will get cold feet...
    Well, according to Pew Research Center, most Europeans as of Spring 2022 have a VERY negative view of the PRC, Sweden dislikes China more than even Americans do, and that is all the more significant in that they are much more progressive and anti-interventionist than most Americans. The only truly pro-China countries seem to be Malaysia and Singapore, and that might be partly because they have massive Chinese communities.
    https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...-human-rights/

China is also viewed incidentally by most Americans in 2022 as their greatest threat, for some reason before even Russia:
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/390494/...p-threats.aspx

Perhaps most Europeans would not support active military intervention, but I think they would strongly consider economic boycotts and sanctions like with Ukraine in the event of another Taiwan war.
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-08-21 at 06:27 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"