Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you get yourself out of a "slump"?

Just gonna be honest; having kind of a rough time right now. Feels like the past couple weeks it's been boiling over, and I'm just frustrated, by everything, all the time. WoW's always been kind of an "escape" for me, but now it's become its own source of frustration, because I've been *trying* to play a Hunter with my friends, but I'm apparently just freaking terrible at the game now. So on top of everything else I feel like I'm failing at, I can't even play video-games right anymore.

You guys have any advice for getting yourself out of a"slump"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhhh, play something that doesn't frustrate you?

Don't really know what kind of answer you are expecting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Sleep...it gets better later.

Quit world of warcraft and try other games seriously it may seem hard but once you are free of that shackle you will see there are so many great options out there for you. Aside from that get into a routine, exercise it will give your mind something to focus / try to achieve on other than your worries.

By the sounds of it it has little to do with playing another game. I'd suggest taking a break from the computer. I have been in that situation and kinda is now, don't really find playing games enjoyable etc etc. Started taking walks and listen to some true crime documentary on youtube that's usually 1-2h long. Watch movies, but not at your computer because that still enforces the habit of sitting there. Try and Excercise no matter how little. Maybe look a your apartment and maybe fix the thing you always wanted to fix?
    try and meet family and friends.

Doing these things can make playing a game feel like a reward rather than just a habit you do. Maybe i'm reading into it too much, but talking to someone could be an option if you feel it's serious.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Pretty much the above from kumorii

I'd add in eat healthily, get your five to ten a day, this really helps and also read,

If I get stuck not wanting to do anything, I write a list of jobs for every day for the rest of the week and I HAVE to do them, usually getting everything rolling is the hardest and longest part

Hope you get over this soon

5+ Year Old Account
    Take ice cold showers. It makes you happy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The good news is that half the battle is recognizing it, so that's a plus that you have. But as others said it's usually a sign it's time to shake things up in your life. Maybe take a break from wow and try some other games for a bit, then come back when you're ready. Or try a new completely new hobby for a bit.

Step back and look at what specifically is frustrating you, truly self reflect on what's on your mind and keeping you from enjoying your previously enjoyable hobby.

If WoW is no longer "an escape" it probably means you're still trapped by whatever you're using WoW as an escape from. Once you identify that, deal with THAT. Without knowing what THAT is, it's difficult to give much more meaningful advice. But identifying what it is, is half the battle. Hope things get better soon, it's happened to me and it's a miserable place to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have your mom schedule an appointment with the doctor.
    Government Affiliated Snark

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    You guys have any advice for getting yourself out of a"slump"?
    Maybe the first thing you should do is to figure out whether your slump is mainly caused by something physiological or psychological. If your issue is mainly physiological then you probably need to start eating healthier, exercising more, and making sure that you're sleeping properly(getting plenty of Oxygen and REM sleep). If your issue is mainly psychological then it could be that your mindset, philosophy, cultural values, or motivations are wrong and they're leading you to frustrating emotions.

In any case there is always a solution or at least a way to improve, as long as you're not just declining or losing sharpness due to old age, which is unavoidable at some point.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-08-11 at 07:45 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Leave computer games for a while. Consider applying to some classes or doing some hobbies. This will replace negative thoughts with some acquired knowledge. Do some sports or travel somewhere nice. Meet some meaningful people and get rid of the toxic ones; that includes their friends and the friends of their friends. Eat only healthy stuff, take vitamins, and sleep a lot. You can also watch some fun movies. Haha!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yoga, it's hard for me, ASMR meditating, anything that has to do with unplugging from any kind of media, YOUTUBING 80's 90's memories such as Music, and Movies.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Try other games that are more relaxing and fun.
    2. Legal recreational drugs.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    OP your threads have been getting worse and worse… but now it makes sense, given the topic of this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Work out. Gymnastics (even for a big guy, it is good (talking about me)). Audiobooks (go for walks, to the gym, etc while). Cooking, either for yourself, or invite people - or donate what you cook (if it is in a safe condition to cook). Enjoy a game, if one has lost some love, find another, and maybe look for simplicity so that you do not need to put that much thought into it (I do that sometimes, and I always just pick Minecraft, a universal tool).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Play other games. World of Warcraft is nothing. You convinced yourself through the time put in that it was a meaningful endeavor.

If what you do for fun is not fun, stop doing it. Life is a buffet.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd take a break from games for a while. This happened to me in WoD. Went from Mythic raiding in MoP and suddenly I couldn't do a basic rotation in WoD because I was just done with the game and didn't care. At the time I couldn't understand why I was flubbing and frustrating myself/team. Then I realized, later on, I just hated playing the game at the time and how my class felt. Killed all motivation and effort. It was as simple as needing a break. When I came back in Legion, everything was fine and I also started playing more classes so I could switch between what play style felt best.

I used to be a class loyalist, but WoD really made me value having class alts. Sometimes the meta spec for your class is something you hate, sometimes the spec you love gets murdered, and sometimes you're just bored of the same thing. Now I like healing.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Gym/exercise is the golden answer imo. Massive difference for me when not doing it in my pretty much every regard.

Learn to embrace who you are. I could not defeat my depression so I surrounded myself with it, every day a carbon copy of the day before. No kids, no lady, no real hobbies that take me outside, not even any pets. Its a lonely life, but it is who I am. I have accepted this, that I fought hard through my 20s to escape the monotony of life and learn to enjoy something and failed had bothered me for a while, but everything in life is perspective. I surely don't have it that bad because not everybody lives to 30, in fact many people who loved and appreciated the gift of life much more than me have died in accidents at half the age I made it to.

I will eventually die, and I take relief that nobody will miss me. I will not create grief in my passing, which is an all-consuming darkness that serves to repeat the cycle.

Don't get out of the slump, just put a little roof over the slump and call it home.