Thread: So… Tinkers

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Yes, your totally real brother who is now at a boot camp to pay for his crimes just like my totally real girlfriend who goes to another school in Canada...
    Yes! That's the one. My parents miss the poor guy, and so do I. But he needed help.

Feel bad for your GF though, living in demolition man land

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    After all that debate and discussion on the forum, it never happened. Given how WoW tends to not release classes very often, have people given up hope of ever seeing the Tinker class in game yet?
    Tinker remains the strongest concept for a future WoW class, so there will always be a good chance of the class appearing in the future. With that said, we're looking at 4-5 years before we should even be considering another class, so this discussion is a bit premature.

Me personally I would love a Bard/Musical class. Dark Age of Camelot had 3! One for each faction. They were:
    Bard - healers with great CC and pulsing group buffs (could choose 1, like auras)
    Minstrel - think a musical rogue fighter. Could stealth and climb walls. Could crowd control and temporarily ‘charm’ high level mobs to fight with them.
    Skald - Warrior musician. Would fight toe to toe and offer combat support.

Some of these would be great for WoW. But I guess it will be years before we see another class after Evoker?
    Don't see that class fitting in the paradigm of WoW expansion classes which have all been based on major WoW heroes.

Death Knights: Arthas, Monks: Chen Stormstout, Demon Hunters: Illidan, Dracthyr Evokers: Alexstraza, Tinker: Gazlowe

There are no Bard/Minstrel/Skald characters in Warcraft that have that level of stature.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Tinker remains the strongest concept for a future WoW class, so there will always be a good chance of the class appearing in the future. With that said, we're looking at 4-5 years before we should even be considering another class, so this discussion is a bit premature.

Don't see that class fitting in the paradigm of WoW expansion classes which have all been based on major WoW heroes.

Death Knights: Arthas, Monks: Chen Stormstout, Demon Hunters: Illidan, Dracthyr Evokers: Alexstraza, Tinker: Gazlowe

There are no Bard/Minstrel/Skald characters in Warcraft that have that level of stature.
    I know you and my brother had a thing going on, but listen, go look at the new engineering changes for DF. It's over man... As dead as squidward's hopes and dreams.

Better to hope for 4 specs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    I know you and my brother had a thing going on, but listen, go look at the new engineering changes for DF. It's over man... As dead as squidward's hopes and dreams.

Better to hope for 4 specs
    I've seen them. Nowhere are the Tinker's abilities shown as Engineering items.

For example, we know that the Hunter class has absorbed the Dark Ranger concept because it gets exclusive Dark Ranger gear and items, and abilities such as Wailing Arrow. No such situation exists in Engineering or any existing class. When we start seeing things like XPlodium Charge or Robo Goblin in Engineering, then it'll be time to put the concept to bed.

Until then....

Don’t really disagree with you, but I do hold out hope for a Bard in the future. We have had more musical instruments as toys recently. The whole automa/resistance to domination lore was based around language and sounds, which does plant some seeds for possible future lore if they wished to expand on it.

I did goto the rogue class hall for the first time recently and there was an actual bard npc in the corner playing a lute!

Music and sound has always been very prominent in Warcraft. However you’re right that I can’t think of any hero class from WC3 or otherwise that relies on music.

I think if there were any musical classes it would have to fill a niche, and tying it in with Domination magic (or anti domination magic), would probably be the route I would go. Either charming/mind controlling or making allies resistant to it/other forms of CC. There is enough space for a healer and a dps ranged and/or melee spec.

I've seen them. Nowhere are the Tinker's abilities shown as Engineering items.

For example, we know that the Hunter class has absorbed the Dark Ranger concept because it gets exclusive Dark Ranger gear and items, and abilities such as Wailing Arrow. No such situation exists in Engineering or any existing class. When we start seeing things like XPlodium Charge or Robo Goblin in Engineering, then it'll be time to put the concept to bed.

Until then....
    I mean just because you don't have very specific spells from some Tinker characters in engineering doesn't mean that the way engineering is being set up is basically what the fantasy is.

Creating tech armor and then fitting them up with Tinker punch cards... You can't really get more Tinker than that.

Like that's it man. Anything else and you're reaching across space to grasp at cosmic straws.

What we need is engineering mount equipment that's lets us weaponize mech mounts in the open world.
    Last edited by Varx; 2022-08-11 at 08:09 PM.

I mean just because you don't have very specific spells from some Tinker characters in engineering doesn't mean that the way engineering is being set up is basically what the fantasy is.

Creating armor and then fitting them up with Tinker punch cards... You can't really get more Tinker than that.

Like that's it man. Anything else and you're reaching across space to grasp at cosmic straws.
    It could happen if Blizzard wanted it to happen though. Just like how Metamorphosis was a Warlock spell until DHs came along.

It could happen if Blizzard wanted it to happen though. Just like how Metamorphosis was a Warlock spell until DHs came along.

Yeah I guess... Just doesn't really seem likey with these profession updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephod View Post
    Nobody wanted lizzard ppl. Biggest L in Dragonflight is the dracthyr, and I would gladly swap them (and Evoker) for tinker. Or anything else that automatically would be better.
    Have to agree to an extent. The concept just seems really half-baked. I am glad some people enjoy it but just misses the mark in many places for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh it kind of does. The Tinker is an adventuring hero whose abilities are technology-based. It's not a warrior or Druid that dabbles in a removable profession from time to time. If it's not a class, it simply doesn't represent the fantasy.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if there were any musical classes it would have to fill a niche, and tying it in with Domination magic (or anti domination magic), would probably be the route I would go. Either charming/mind controlling or making allies resistant to it/other forms of CC. There is enough space for a healer and a dps ranged and/or melee spec.
    I find that Priests cover that niche quite well.

Uh it kind of does. The Tinker is an adventuring hero whose abilities are technology-based. It's not a warrior or Druid that dabbles in a removable profession from time to time. If it's not a class, it simply doesn't represent the fantasy.

- - - Updated - - -

I find that Priests cover that niche quite well.

Yes sure, it's half baked compared to what it could be as how you've shown in your concept.

I'm just saying, it doesn't seem like it with the direction blizz is taking engineering that it'll ever be a class.

Having "Tinker" punch cards and what not.

Believe me, I, I mean my deranged, brother really wanted tinkers too, but the future feels bleak in that department.
    Last edited by Varx; 2022-08-11 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know its Bait but fuck it.

No. Go away.

Go join the High Elves and the Dark Rangers with this bullshit.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    After all that debate and discussion on the forum, it never happened. Given how WoW tends to not release classes very often, have people given up hope of ever seeing the Tinker class in game yet?

Me personally I would love a Bard/Musical class. Dark Age of Camelot had 3! One for each faction. They were:
    Bard - healers with great CC and pulsing group buffs (could choose 1, like auras)
    Minstrel - think a musical rogue fighter. Could stealth and climb walls. Could crowd control and temporarily ‘charm’ high level mobs to fight with them.

Some of these would be great for WoW. But I guess it will be years before we see another class after Evoker?
    Still hoping for Tinker, as well as a 4th spec for the rest of the classes (3rd for Evoker and DH)

New class ideas:
    Entertainer: Juggler (Melee DPS (throwing weapons, dodging abilities, fire breath, etc)), Musician (Ranged DPS/Healing (Bard/Warcries/songs)), Storyteller (Ranged DPS/Tanking (Illusions, take on the form of a legendary hero in the role of a Ranged DPS or Melee Tank))

Tinker: Mechanic (Tank (Utilize Goblin/Gnomish/steam engineering in holding back the foes)), Pyrotechnician (or Goblin Engineering)(Comes with a Tinker kit for pyrotechnics)(Mid-ranged DPS (Use rockets, mines, flamethrower, and bombs)), Inventor (or Gnomish Engineering)(Comes with an exoskeleton backpack)(Ranged DPS (Use Beams, rays, turrets, gadgets to take down foes)), Alchemist (Comes with a back mounted vat of alchemical liquid)(Healing (Use vials, sprays, syringe guns, and more to keep the team alive))

New spec ideas:
    Death Knight: Necromancer (Healing (Heals with stealing health from friends or foes, using the health to convert to necrotic energies to heal, or create minions)), Edit: Unholy becomes a more melee oriented around dots and plagues.
    Paladin: Zealot (Ranged DPS/Healing (Focus the light upon your foes and gather for your friends)) Edit: Holy takes a seat as a direct healing spec.
    Warrior: Gladiator (DPS/Off-tank (1h/Shield DPS)).

Hunter: Tracker/Headhunter (Faction depending)(Ranged DPS/Melee, use of throwing weapons and melee attacks).
    Shaman: Warder/Earthcaller (Tanking (Earth spells mainly)).
    Evoker: Conservation (Tank)

Rogue: Mercenary (Tank (Use DW weapons/Deflects/Parry/dodges in tanking) Edit: outlaw becomes ranged dominant.
    Druid: None.
    Monk: WIP (Ranged DPS (Chi-ji themed).
    Demon Hunter: WIP (Ranged DPS (Glaive throwing/Dancing)).

Priest: Cleric (DPS/Off-healing (Use your new skills with close combat and light in your favor)).
    Mage: Chronomancer (Tank/DPS (WIP)).
    Warlock: Devourer (Tank (Consumes the powers of a chosen demon for a specific tank function like kiting, cleaving, soaking, etc)).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes sure, it's half baked compared to what it could be as how you've shown in your concept.

I'm just saying, it doesn't seem like it with the direction blizz is taking engineering that it'll be a class.

Having "Tinker" punch cards and what not.

Believe me, I, I mean my deranged, brother really wanted tinkers too, but the future feels bleak in that department.
    Yeah, I don't believe that engineering has anything to do with any possible technology class. Only a class can disrupt the chances of another class. For example, we're never going to get a Dragonsworn class because we got the Evoker. Dark Rangers got curtailed because of Hunters. Engineering isn't going to stop the appearance of a similarly themed class.

With that said, this is in the end a pointless discussion. This will be relevant in 2026 when we're speculating the theme of patch 12.0. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with the new dragon class.

Do we really need another Tinker thread? They're never happening. People need to move on. If you want Tinker, just pick up engineering

Nothing makes me happier than the fact that we didn't get any fucking Tinkerers, all the obnoxious threads about them and Blizzard just shut them all down

10+ Year Old Account
    Give people a Tmog set that requires DF Engineering 100 to use.

Problem Solved, now sit down.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account

I am confused. Do you want to talk about the "t-word" here, or is this a general "which class is next" question you're asking, considering you go talking about "wanting a bard" (which I do too)?

For example, we know that the Hunter class has absorbed the Dark Ranger concept because it gets exclusive Dark Ranger gear and items, and abilities such as Wailing Arrow.
    Those examples are debunked by the demon hunter class. Rogues would get "demon hunter items" such as the warglaives and Illidan's blindfold, while warlocks later on would get a tier set based off Illidan and get the most recognizable of the WC3 demon hunter's abilities: metamorphosis and self-immolation.

And we still got demon hunters as a playable class. So your arguments against the dark ranger class because "they have DR abilities you can use for a single expansion and only if you have a specific item, plus DR trasmog" don't really hold much water.

There wasn't one for the monk, either, so Blizzard took a non-monk character and retconned him into being a monk.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Anyone who says "nobody wanted this" or "nobody asked for this" is simply projecting their own opinion onto other people and should therefore be fully ignored.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

3+ Year Old Account
    DF isn't even out and we're back on Tinker discussion, whee.

DF definitely knocked a decent degree of viability for the tinker discussion in the near future, between having a new class, and having said class be a Mail-wearing one, which was one of the Tinkerers main justifications for existing. While a fourth Mail class wouldn't necessarily completely throw the armor class balance out of whack, it does make it a bit of an uphill battle.

HOWEVER, Tinkers, as a class, do have enough potential to properly differentiate from anything else, Evokers included, if Blizz were to really lean into making a summon-centric class. Closest equivalent that currently exists is Demo lock, but even then, there's room for distinction. But this is ultimately a thought experiment for something that is all but guaranteed to not happen for at least a few more years, if ever.