Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    So an expansion focused on Tyr and we aren't going to get any Lore about humans?

    Now I know most players are probably going to scoff at this but hear me out.

    Tyr was the saviour of humans and lead them to the eastern kingdoms to save them before he disappeared. Outside of that we know very little as to why he did it or what happen in that period.

    There are number of things that would be nice to know why we are exploring Tyrs past.

    Why did he save the humans?
    Why the eastern kingdoms?
    Did he teach them about the light?
    Did he save them for a particular reason like the dragon flights?
    did he also save dwarves/Gnomes?
    Was their a connection between him and the humans?

    Now I know night elves need to get a satisfying conclusion to their stupidly written arc. However I don't think they should be settling in the Dragon isle as they have an ancestral home in Kalimdor and it feels cheap that they would plant I world tree on the Dragon Isle and not their own lands that need the rejuvenation. Plus the Night elves giving up their ancient home to move some where else feels like them giving up and letting the Horde win.
    Last edited by angrywithmygod; 2022-08-12 at 04:02 AM.

  2. #2
    While on one hand humans get an annoying amount of screen time, on the other, it'd be kind of nice to get some lore that isnt them being woefully generic.

    Not to mention ancient human lore is also technically Gilnean and Forsaken lore.

  3. #3
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,761
    Given that the focus on Dragonflight is specifically the dragons, the Aspects, and their enemies I doubt much light will be shed on Tyr's exploits in the Eastern Kingdoms or with humanity. The expansion isn't really focused on Tyr exclusively, either; though he does loom large in the backstory.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  4. #4
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    23,195
    Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    Now I know most players are probably going to scoff at this but hear me out.

    Tyr was the saviour of humans and lead them to the eastern kingdoms to save them before he disappeared. Outside of that we know very little as to why he did it or what happen in that period.

    There are number of things that would be nice to know why we are exploring Tyrs past.

    Why did he save the humans?
    Why the eastern kingdoms?
    Did he teach them about the light?
    Did he save them for a particular reason like the dragon flights?
    did he also save dwarves/Gnomes?
    Was their a connection between him and the humans?

    Now I know night elves need to get a satisfying conclusion to their stupidly written arc. However I don't think they should be settling in the Dragon isle as they have an ancestral home in Kalimdor and it feels cheap that they would plant I world tree on the Dragon Isle and not their own lands that need the rejuvenation. Plus the Night elves giving up their ancient home to move some where else feels like them giving up and letting the Horde win.
    Calm your self. We have no idea about what's going to happen in further patches. Besides, some of the stuff you wish to know, like the Light and his relations to dragnos and humans were answered in Legion and Chronicles.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  5. #5
    I thought humans were descended from Vyrkul and were secreted away by sympathetic parents.

  6. #6
    God fucking knows we don't need more focus on humans but I see your point, provided that emphasis is on the Light and his connection to primeval humans/vrykul.

    There's a case to be made that tying humans to the Titans in the first place was a mistake precisely for this reason because by emphasizing it and dwarves' ties to the Titans as being identical it nullified the dwarven genealogy that was such a major part of the Explorer's League. Gnomes too, but they've the whole mechanization, return to robot thing going, whereas for humans it's a more elaborate and interesting version of the dwarven background since the vrykul, their society and the curse of flesh are a lot more fleshed out and interesting than anything we got on dwarves. Sadly, that ship sailed a decade and a half ago, so c'est la vie.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2022-08-13 at 07:54 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

    Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

  7. #7
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,450
    I don't recall the name of the expansion being World of Warcraft: Tyr, let me check... nope, it's World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, which is why the Dragonflights are getting the focus right now. maybe Tyr gets some attention in a patch, who knows... but right now it's pretty silly to be upset that Tyr (and humans) aren't getting lore advancements in an expansion which is called Dragonflight

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    Now I know most players are probably going to scoff at this but hear me out.

    Tyr was the saviour of humans and lead them to the eastern kingdoms to save them before he disappeared. Outside of that we know very little as to why he did it or what happen in that period.

    There are number of things that would be nice to know why we are exploring Tyrs past.

    Why did he save the humans?
    Why the eastern kingdoms?
    Did he teach them about the light?
    Did he save them for a particular reason like the dragon flights?
    did he also save dwarves/Gnomes?
    Was their a connection between him and the humans?

    Now I know night elves need to get a satisfying conclusion to their stupidly written arc. However I don't think they should be settling in the Dragon isle as they have an ancestral home in Kalimdor and it feels cheap that they would plant I world tree on the Dragon Isle and not their own lands that need the rejuvenation. Plus the Night elves giving up their ancient home to move some where else feels like them giving up and letting the Horde win.
    Tyr didn't do any of the aforementioned things.

    Tyr died to a C'Thraxxi general before the Dragonflayer migration occurred. The Dragonflayer exiles traveled to Tirisfal because, as the name says, it was Tyr's resting place: Where he died. The Dragonflayer who still believed in the Titans believed Tirisfal was sacred ground. Tyr's "guidance of early humanity" is in-universe mythology.

    Tyr did not teach them about the Light. We know how the humans gained knowledge of the light. It's from Mereldar's (Lordain's sister) compiled doctrines after she and other healers gained visions of the Naaru and the ability to conjure the Light.

    All the questions you've asked are answered in the Chronicle books.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    Now I know most players are probably going to scoff at this but hear me out.

    Tyr was the saviour of humans and lead them to the eastern kingdoms to save them before he disappeared. Outside of that we know very little as to why he did it or what happen in that period.

    There are number of things that would be nice to know why we are exploring Tyrs past.

    Why did he save the humans?
    Why the eastern kingdoms?
    Did he teach them about the light?
    Did he save them for a particular reason like the dragon flights?
    did he also save dwarves/Gnomes?
    Was their a connection between him and the humans?

    Now I know night elves need to get a satisfying conclusion to their stupidly written arc. However I don't think they should be settling in the Dragon isle as they have an ancestral home in Kalimdor and it feels cheap that they would plant I world tree on the Dragon Isle and not their own lands that need the rejuvenation. Plus the Night elves giving up their ancient home to move some where else feels like them giving up and letting the Horde win.
    I am pretty sure they have forgotten about Tyr and if not, he will be retconned soon.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    While on one hand humans get an annoying amount of screen time, on the other, it'd be kind of nice to get some lore that isnt them being woefully generic.

    Not to mention ancient human lore is also technically Gilnean and Forsaken lore.
    The forsaken was made in this generation. Its hardly ancient. Its not even old.

  11. #11
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,054
    Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    Now I know most players are probably going to scoff at this but hear me out.

    Tyr was the saviour of humans and lead them to the eastern kingdoms to save them before he disappeared. Outside of that we know very little as to why he did it or what happen in that period.

    There are number of things that would be nice to know why we are exploring Tyrs past.

    Why did he save the humans?
    Why the eastern kingdoms?
    Did he teach them about the light?
    Did he save them for a particular reason like the dragon flights?
    did he also save dwarves/Gnomes?
    Was their a connection between him and the humans?

    Now I know night elves need to get a satisfying conclusion to their stupidly written arc. However I don't think they should be settling in the Dragon isle as they have an ancestral home in Kalimdor and it feels cheap that they would plant I world tree on the Dragon Isle and not their own lands that need the rejuvenation. Plus the Night elves giving up their ancient home to move some where else feels like them giving up and letting the Horde win.
    But the expansion is not focused on Tyr?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    Now I know most players are probably going to scoff at this but hear me out.

    Tyr was the saviour of humans and lead them to the eastern kingdoms to save them before he disappeared. Outside of that we know very little as to why he did it or what happen in that period.

    There are number of things that would be nice to know why we are exploring Tyrs past.

    Why did he save the humans?
    Why the eastern kingdoms?
    Did he teach them about the light?
    Did he save them for a particular reason like the dragon flights?
    did he also save dwarves/Gnomes?
    Was their a connection between him and the humans?

    Now I know night elves need to get a satisfying conclusion to their stupidly written arc. However I don't think they should be settling in the Dragon isle as they have an ancestral home in Kalimdor and it feels cheap that they would plant I world tree on the Dragon Isle and not their own lands that need the rejuvenation. Plus the Night elves giving up their ancient home to move some where else feels like them giving up and letting the Horde win.
    I agree on the night elven part, and i feel the need to point out that drac'thyr have their visages modelled after humans in part. This may imply a perhaps sinister purpose for Tyr's saving of the humans: He might have needed a supply of test subjects, as i assume Neltharion continued titanic research, in line with what we've seen in Uldir.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  13. #13
    I am Murloc! KOUNTERPARTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
    Posts
    5,030
    It's not called 'Humanflight' after all... nor is it called 'Titanforgedlfight' or 'Tyrflight' so I don't get your faux outrage is stemming from.

  14. #14
    Tyr and some focus on the titan stuff sure it could all happen in quests/side quests and maybe evenon a broader scale in an x patch.

    It doesn't need to be called wow: Tyr for us getting some background , cmon guys. They already told us the expansion is building up like mop did, so it's not out of the ordinary. I would love to see some flashbacks and showing Tyr alive, doing what ever would help understand him little bit better.

    I am watching some god of war shit right now and it would also be fun to find out, tyr actually retreated in some shape or form and we have to find him.

    OP, I rather see the focus on Vrykul tho, dragonriders, Tyr old followers, it makes sense as well. Do we know if Vrkul wil appear? as we know they are linked to titans and protodrakes aswell.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2022-08-14 at 11:14 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    God fucking knows we don't need more focus on humans but I see your point, provided that emphasis is on the Light and his connection to primeval humans/vrykul.

    There's a case to be made that tying humans to the Titans in the first place was a mistake precisely for this reason because by emphasizing it and dwarves' ties to the Titans as being identical it nullified the dwarven genealogy that was such a major part of the Explorer's League. Gnomes too, but they've the whole mechanization, return to robot thing going, whereas for humans it's a more elaborate and interesting version of the dwarven background since the vrykul, their society and the curse of flesh are a lot more fleshed out and interesting than anything we got on dwarves. Sadly, that ship sailed a decade and a half ago, so c'est la vie.
    The reason they tied humans to Titans was that everything about humans had been ripped to flesh out the space goats in BC. You know, "they're the ORIGINAL paladins!", cranking the Light and church iconography up to eleven (almost to the point of parody), and so on. Robbing Peter to pay Paul continued with ripping Titan heritage from the Dwarves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    It's not called 'Humanflight' after all... nor is it called 'Titanforgedlfight' or 'Tyrflight' so I don't get your faux outrage is stemming from.
    Well that doesnt really matter,its not like we never had an expanions content deviate from its main themes,unless im remembering wrong,cataclysm was the only expansion that pretty much kept on theme for its entire span

    either way i also dont get op's outrage,anything is posible to happen in the expansions lifecycle,i mean look at bfa,who ever expected we get nazjatar,black empire,faction war,gnome lore,titan facility all in one expansion

  17. #17
    I don' get why people think im outraged,, nor am I looking for the primary focus of the story to shift. However I do think getting some side quests in a zone explaining more about the titan forged and their heritage might be good. Certainly not looking for generic human guards/Garrisons everywhere just fleshing out a bit more about the past of the humans and the other titan forged

  18. #18
    We are literally only seeing the beginning quests…..how do you know we aren’t getting this in the next patches when we reassemble and bring back Tyr? (We all know he is coming back before the expansion ends)

    It’s also not really an expansion about Tyr. It’s about his activation of the Dragon Flights and the opposition to those flights with Galakronds supporters trying to stop them. Yes Tyr created them and the city but it’s doesn’t mean this is an expansion “focused on Tyr”

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    I don' get why people think im outraged,, nor am I looking for the primary focus of the story to shift. However I do think getting some side quests in a zone explaining more about the titan forged and their heritage might be good. Certainly not looking for generic human guards/Garrisons everywhere just fleshing out a bit more about the past of the humans and the other titan forged
    Also the reason that Tyr did what he did was pretty self explanatory. Have a read of the page about him and the War on Loken

    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Tyr

    He took his army which consisted of the Vrykul already afflicted with the curse of flesh which later de/evolved into humans….it was literally running away to regroup and find refuge from Loken to analyse the Discs of Norgannon to see the extent of Lokens betrayal and to plan a new attack. They were followed to Tirifal/EK by Lokens old god minions and that’s where Tyr died….what more do you really want? It’s all pretty much spelled out there why he took them and for what purpose etc

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    While on one hand humans get an annoying amount of screen time, on the other, it'd be kind of nice to get some lore that isnt them being woefully generic.

    Not to mention ancient human lore is also technically Gilnean and Forsaken lore.
    on one hand, tyr has some lore we could explain. on the other stump (hehe), they could just explore tyr fighting alongside the dragons against galakrond and the events following that and flesh out some detail.

    and yes, i made this reply just to make the stump joke...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    I thought humans were descended from Vyrkul and were secreted away by sympathetic parents.
    long story short, titans made rock and metal "golems". yogg boi gave them a curse of flesh, the vrykul were the first spawn of the humanoid model. after generations, the vrykul started having weak and puny kids and they exiled them (humans as we know in warcraft). then a bunch of human stuff happened and tyr fought aside the humans against some old god minions and ended up dying. specifically, tyr died in tirisfal glades which was named after tyr to be tyr's fall but then time passed and people forgot.

  20. #20
    That's a bit like saying "TBC is an expansion focused on the naaru". Yes they come up, yes there's a big one in the main city, but nothing is focused on them any more than it is on Tyr in DF (from what we know so far, anyway). In fact there's probably more naaru stuff in TBC than there is Tyr stuff in DF, and it STILL isn't even close to "focused on the naaru".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •