Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Lore ideas and headcanons about the cities and capitals

In this discussion thread you can talk about your ideas and possible headcanons about the history, future, architecture, geography, culture, demography and other random things about the various capital cities and other towns in Azeroth, Outland, Draenor and other planets of Warcraft.

You can expose your ideas on how to develop and better these cities and their lore, how it must be to live in these cities, and how they are viewed by people from other races and kingdoms, whenever they are allies, enemies or neutral.

I would like to see Stormwind a little more realistic should it ever be updated. Needs a residential area and something perhaps explore the affluence gap among people there.

I'd like to see northern Kalimdor (Darkshore, Ashenvale, Felwood, Mount Hyjal) completely in control of the Night Elves. All Horde presence is removed and a new beautiful capital city is constructed somewhere in Ashenvale or Hyjal. Doubt it'll happen soon but one can hope.

I have some ideas and headcanons for Ironforge and Shadowforge:
    -While living in cities above lava have some advantages, it also have many problems such as heat that is not very bearable for non-dwarven visitors, and the smells and toxic gases produced by volcanic activity which caused lots of intoxications for the inhabitants of early Ironforge. To solve these problems the sorcerers of the Dark Iron clan created magical runes that absorb most of the heat and the toxic gas and fumes produced by lava, which made the city much healthier for dwarves and made life in the city bearable for humans, elves and other races. These runes were replicated in Shadowforge and
    Blackrock Spire during their foundation after the War of the Three Hammers.

- There are several secret gates and passages that allow to enter and leave Ironforge without being seen and having to pass by the gates. Currently only Magni and his brothers know about all of them, and Muradin was planning to use one of them to enter Ironforge and liberate it of Moira and the Dark Irons' rule but Varian intervened before he could act on it.

- Dwarven cities have glass gardens and mushroom farms, powered by the heat produced by lava and gnomish tech to help them feed their population and produce food even during harsh winters. This is another great asset during sieges.

- Golems are now a frequent sight in Ironforge, with the reunification of the clans and addition of Dark Iron tech and magic to Ironforge military. They are mostly seen guarding strategic locations such as the gates, the airport, the military HQ and the Council quarters.

- There is a current project to build new Deeprun Trams that would connect Ironforge and Stormwind to Aerie Peak and Shadowforge City, as well as Gnomeregan.

5+ Year Old Account
    It’s weird, but I wish to see the history of Oribos. I'm also interested in the history of the Shadowlands, especially Zereth Mortis. There is no archeology there, which I found strange, and supposedly ancient secrets of the Shadowlands don’t get lost in time, so it’s quite interesting to explore. I’m also curious about Dalaran, Ulduar, and the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    I'd like to see northern Kalimdor (Darkshore, Ashenvale, Felwood, Mount Hyjal) completely in control of the Night Elves. All Horde presence is removed and a new beautiful capital city is constructed somewhere in Ashenvale or Hyjal. Doubt it'll happen soon but one can hope.
    How would you imagine this new capital ? What differences would there be with Darnassus ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    How would you imagine this new capital ? What differences would there be with Darnassus ?
    Probably similar to Darnassus but grander (and updated of course). A temple dedicated to Elune where the priestesses reside, a part dedicated to the druids (with a shrine for Malfurion) another part where the highborne can study and practice their magic.

Maybe like Suramar but with way more nature intertwined.

I think that the Draenei should have started to build a true capital city on Azuremyst Island, near or around the Exodar, with buildings, streets, magic constructs, fountains and rivers similar to the ones back on Draenor.

This Draenei capital would have at least a light temple, a giant library/museum with tons of books, holograms and memory crystals, an observatory, a market where there would also be Night Elves and Furbolg merchants, a military HQ with the Vindicators and Lightforged Draenei and their Army of the Lighr vigilantes and vehicules, a mage school, residences and fields and farms for Elekks and Talbuks.
    Last edited by Terrorthatflapsinthenight; 2022-08-14 at 09:43 AM.

My old headcanon back in the day was that there are no Elven ruins in the Eastern Kingdoms (apart from maybe Seradane) because in some places the early humans used their stones to build up their own kingdoms, eventually mirroring the architecture of the Elves with their towers and domed structures. To me Lordaeron always looked more similar to the old Kaldorei ruins when compared to Silvermoon or the more "blocky" human cities like Stromgarde or Stormwind.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Honestly, I'd just like to.see Silvermoon restored. It's been a.long time coming.

Additionally, with the reclamation of Undercity questline happening, I would like to see Calia and the Forsaken, together with the Cenarion Circle, cleanse the blight from the Ghostlands and heal the Dead Scar.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Echo isles have been rebuilt as a proper troll city instead of 6 huts

Thunder Bluff has expanded to the mountains' base, to accomodate larger numbers

Silvermoon has been completely rebuilt
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

In this discussion thread you can talk about your ideas and possible headcanons about the history, future, architecture, geography, culture, demography and other random things about the various capital cities and other towns in Azeroth, Outland, Draenor and other planets of Warcraft.

You can expose your ideas on how to develop and better these cities and their lore, how it must be to live in these cities, and how they are viewed by people from other races and kingdoms, whenever they are allies, enemies or neutral.
    I like this thread idea, but despite usually bustling with such ideas i am presently dry.
    I shall return when that changes.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I'd like to see the Mag'har build a train between Orgrimmar and Thunder Bluff, the airship is hilariously slow compared to the Deeprun tram, preferably on a bridge going over the Barrens in respect of the Tauren beliefs

Hopefully the Desolate Council will redesign the Undercity to be more open, and have the elevators be easier to find, and have something going on in the ruins above it to give us a reason to be up there and it's not a ton of empty space

Silvermoon getting an update alongside the Draenei getting to found New Eredath, preferably with updates to the starter zones around them to acknowledge the passage of time since TBC, maybe with some cosmetic awards to entice players to actually play those zones instead of Exile's Reach over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    I'd like to see the Mag'har build a train between Orgrimmar and Thunder Bluff, the airship is hilariously slow compared to the Deeprun tram, preferably on a bridge going over the Barrens in respect of the Tauren beliefs

Hopefully the Desolate Council will redesign the Undercity to be more open, and have the elevators be easier to find, and have something going on in the ruins above it to give us a reason to be up there and it's not a ton of empty space

Silvermoon getting an update alongside the Draenei getting to found New Eredath, preferably with updates to the starter zones around them to acknowledge the passage of time since TBC, maybe with some cosmetic awards to entice players to actually play those zones instead of Exile's Reach over and over again
    To be honnest the Goblins could do it or have done it instead of the Mag'har, it's their tech and specialty after all.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that there should be a giant statue of Anduin Lothar and a memorial for the victims of the First War in Stormwind, given all the casualties and how important and traumatic of an event it was for Stormwind.

Lothar is one of if not the most important character in Stormwind history, who led Stormwind armies during the First War, Stormwindian survivors and the Alliance of Lordaeron armies during the Second War but didn't get the chance to see his beloved homeland retaken and rebuilt.

His statue should be either in the Valley of Heroes or near Stormwind Keep.

I'd love to see Stormwind expanding up the slopes of the mountains, and making more use of the space there. Also, headcanon that in Stormwind - the sewers of Stormwind pre-first war destruction were used as escape routes by surviviors, and that there are still passages under the streets even today that are blocked off.

Would be really cool to see an underground sewer/tunnel system connected to the stockades.

After Turalyon took the throne as Regent, the Vindicaar moved to Stormwind to protect it from any possible attack, it now serves as the city's main aerial defense. I imagine that the Lightforged troops have also moved into Stormwind and patrol the streets constantly. I must say, if I were a citizen of Stormwind, I'd feel so protected to know that the city watch is comprised of badass immortal warriors who fought literal Space Satan for millennia. The citizens of Stormwind can rest easy knowing that their taxes are well spent. You can't say the same for the citizens of the Horde, but I digress.

After Alleria Windrunner took over the leadership of Turalyon's council, I imagine that the Ren'dorei flocked into Stormwind as well, and will no longer have to hide in shady corners. I doubt your Average Joe would want to mess with the Queen's followers, aka the Ren'dorei.

I know none of this is reflected in-game, but come on... there should now be as many Lightforged guards as there are Human guards in Stormwind, reminder that Turalyon is also the High Exarch of the Army of the Light. If Stormwind will ever be updated in the future, we will definitely see a lot more Light and Void influence in it.

In a novel preceding the War of Thorns, Saurfang once said that taking Stormwind would be impossible, unbelievable. Well, now it would be even more impossible, since the Army of the Light protects the capital under Turalyon.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-08-14 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ennalorsilvertongue View Post
    I'd love to see Stormwind expanding up the slopes of the mountains, and making more use of the space there. Also, headcanon that in Stormwind - the sewers of Stormwind pre-first war destruction were used as escape routes by surviviors, and that there are still passages under the streets even today that are blocked off.

Would be really cool to see an underground sewer/tunnel system connected to the stockades.
    That's something I fully agree with, the sewers were most certainely used by survivors to hide and escape from the Horde during and after the fall of the city, and must have stayed relatively unchanged since they were most likely the only part of the city that wasn't destroyed when the city was taken back by the Alliance.

I guess there must also lots of shady business inside and people using them to hide or run from the authorities or gangs.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Stormwind should have streets that are less good-looking, more isolated and more prone to shady stuff, with an important black market and lots of mercenaries, merchants of dubious honnesty and criminals that can either be hunted down or hired for business.

There should also be lots of bakers, taverns, merchants that are not visible in the game, as well as churches and chapels that are smaller than the cathedral, and the city would hold tourneys, fairs and various contests to rythme its cultural life.

To be honnest the Goblins could do it or have done it instead of the Mag'har, it's their tech and specialty after all.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that there should be a giant statue of Anduin Lothar and a memorial for the victims of the First War in Stormwind, given all the casualties and how important and traumatic of an event it was for Stormwind.

Lothar is one of if not the most important character in Stormwind history, who led Stormwind armies during the First War, Stormwindian survivors and the Alliance of Lordaeron armies during the Second War but didn't get the chance to see his beloved homeland retaken and rebuilt.

His statue should be either in the Valley of Heroes or near Stormwind Keep.
    Ok I understand your point but, counterpoint, we could use more examples of the Mag'har contributing to the Horde, also the Iron Horde's tech just has a stronger aesthetic going with Orgrimmar, sure the Deeprun Tram doesn't match the overall aesthetic of Stormwind or Ironforge, but it does connect to the part of Ironforge with strong Gnomish presence, and Orgrimmar and Thunder Bluff just don't have Goblin presence anywhere

also, I think the Mag'har would have a better chance of getting the Tauren's permission to actually build the thing since they would understand the Tauren's concerns about the elements better than the average Goblin

For Gnomeregan:
    - Gnomeregan will be more open to the outside and will have an airport once it's truly restored, able of welcoming all kind of flying vehicules from simple gyrocopters to the largest gunships.

- During their quest to reclaim their city, gnomes discovered mushrooms inside Gnomeregan that not only survive the radiations but even feed on them (similar to real-life mushrooms). With this knowledge gnome chemists, biologists and alchemists started to work on mushrooms and created special mushrooms able of feeding and neutralizing radiations on a large scale to help them finally cleanse their city and repopulate it.

- Gnomes also developped air conducts and air filters systems could detect and filter radiations, toxic gases and other nocive substances to prevent any new Thermaplugg scenario and to foil any potential chemical or biological attacks inside their capital.

- They also have seismic detectors to foresee and localise any potential new invasion by Troggs or any other subterrean attacks.

- Gnomeregan has its own Deeprun Tram network that is connected to Stormwind-Ironforge one, to allow gnomes and visitors to go to these cities.

- Gnomeregan is powered by a nuclear fusion-like reactor which gives it a nearly-endless amount of power. It also has some emergency reactors in case the main reactor is sabotaged or destroyed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also gnomes frequently organize contests and races with their vehicules and robots inside or outside Gnomeregan. Magical contests are also quite frequent. They also have what is probably the weirdest and most entertaining food contest in all of Azeroth

Robots already existed before the Third War but they have become essential to the run and defense of the city and everyday life of Gnomes with the reconquest and restoration of Gnomeregan, thanks to their immunity to radiations and poisons that made them especially useful to install special mushrooms and decontamination devices in irridiated zones, and of the Gnomes' fewer numbers.

Like dwarves gnomes have underground glass gardens and mushroom farms to help them feed themselves and withstand winter and sieges better. They also have invented fridges and food cans that allow them to store and preserve food far longer than most other races.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykho View Post
    Laying tracks directly on the ground is worlds less disruptive than a bridge would be. To support a train, the bridge supports would require massive excavation to sink pillars deep enough. Besides, since when has the Horde cared about the Tauren other than as fodder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/