1. #241
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    The character in this she hulk show isn't a mary sue, she's just a crappily written sub in for the authors of this show to make their own lives feel less empty.
    Nope. And you're not even making an argument.

    She's exactly like she was in the Dan Slott run of She-Hulk. You're just demonstrating a complete lack of familiarity with the character, really.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    It's ok, I never expect you to understand much. Go back to calling people names.
    I haven't "called people names" at any point in this discussion.


  2. #242
    I think


    Says it best, and overall says what the problem with Phase 4 is.

    It isnt about "hating Strong Independant woman"
    Its about having writers Write them the correct way. People like seeing the heroes Journey seeing them Struggle, to climb that mountian, before finally getting to the top
    But phase 4 isnt doing that they are making these characters perfect we dont see the Journey we just see the ending right away.

    Also as stated in the video, Jen is telling Bruce that she is BETTER at him at controling her anger because Shes a woman. Never mind the man Once had his girlfriends Dad use the entire Us Miltary Hunt him down, The loss of someone I cared deeply for, The loss of half the population. Dealing with so many World invasions, Personal Trauma and demons, The lsit goes on But She is better because she has to deal with being cat Called, And such?

    Again Im not against strong Female Leads. I just want them to be written better which clearly, Marvel are struggling to do.

  3. #243
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    Also as stated in the video, Jen is telling Bruce that she is BETTER at him at controling her anger because Shes a woman
    This literally does not happen in the show. It's being invented wholesale.

    There's a scene where Bruce tries to explain to her how to control her anger, and she points out that women are socially expected to control their anger so she's already well familiar with the process. That's not the same as her claiming she's "better" because she's a woman. It's akin to Bruce trying to explain to her how to put on lipstick; it's not that she's better at it because she's a woman, she's just been practicing most of her life and already knows how. That's not the same thing as arguing that women are just better at wearing lipstick than men are, and it's weird as fuck that you folks try and interpret it that way.


  4. #244
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    It isnt about "hating Strong Independant woman"
    Its about having writers Write them the correct way. People like seeing the heroes Journey seeing them Struggle, to climb that mountian, before finally getting to the top
    If your expecting a hero's journey around she hulk's transformation you have got the wrong character. From her very first appearance in the 1980's she has had full control unlike the hulk.

    the closest she has ever got to a hulk esc transformation Journey was the recent story lines where she was bigger and the people like your youtuber acted as if her actually getting a story arc like that was the worse thing to ever happen to the character.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I certainly did not make it into a competition. The show did, by pointing to Jennifers "hardship" as the reason why she is better at being a Hulk in 3 days then the guy that is a Hulk for 15 years.
    That's not at all what the show did. The reason she doesn't have a rage-mode is because she doesn't have a personality disorder like Bruce Banner. And her explaining her anger management is just her explanation to Bruce.

    And yes, looking at the Hulk movies she does control her anger better than he does when they first became Hulk.
    Also, putting hardship between quotes as if what she is saying doesn't matter. Yikes.

    You're putting out some strong misogynist vibes buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

  6. #246
    The funny thing is She-Hulk said if she speaks her mind out, she usually gets criticized.

    Guess what happened? hahahah

  7. #247
    Legendary! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    6,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    I think


    Says it best, and overall says what the problem with Phase 4 is.

    It isnt about "hating Strong Independant woman"
    Its about having writers Write them the correct way. People like seeing the heroes Journey seeing them Struggle, to climb that mountian, before finally getting to the top
    But phase 4 isnt doing that they are making these characters perfect we dont see the Journey we just see the ending right away.

    Also as stated in the video, Jen is telling Bruce that she is BETTER at him at controling her anger because Shes a woman. Never mind the man Once had his girlfriends Dad use the entire Us Miltary Hunt him down, The loss of someone I cared deeply for, The loss of half the population. Dealing with so many World invasions, Personal Trauma and demons, The lsit goes on But She is better because she has to deal with being cat Called, And such?

    Again Im not against strong Female Leads. I just want them to be written better which clearly, Marvel are struggling to do.
    So the problem with the MCU is people are voicing opinions without actually watching any of the shows?

    And Jen never says "As a woman, I am better." In fact, she did not even imply it was because she was a woman, but rather because she in her life had experience controlling her anger. She never compares anger or anything like that. It does not happen. She never says her anger is harder, more justified, or anything. Just she has more experience controlling it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  8. #248
    Gods, you know when people run out of arguments when they basically run back to the point they have all along by using the stupid line "M-SHE-U".

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Great numbers on this one. The lead actress really is carrying this show. She's probably gonna get a big re-up and start leading films if the minutes and engagement continue to be high.
    I haven't even watched the show yet (my disney+ subscription ended and I'm waiting a few weeks to get it back up because I'd rather pay for a month and watch the first 6 episodes then watch the last 3 as they come out) but I really do hope that the lead actress does well in the MCU. She's a fantastic actor. I've been a huge fan since orphan black

  10. #250
    Scarab Lord Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Ugh lost me in the first episode, why do in phase 4 feel the need to tear down the OG Avengers? Like do you really need that joke about Captain being a virgin? Like come on
    1. He was busy fighting the nazi's
    2. He might have (doubtful) had sex with any of the cheerleaders he toured with before he went into the war
    3. He was frozen and before he could adjust to a new world was involved in many fights with all kinds of enemies.

    Between this and the shade they throw at Iron man (who twice was willing to give his life to save others, and did so the 2nd time), just pisses me off too much. Maybe if this hadn't just came after Thor: bad and worse jokes I might have been able to push on, but meh.
    The joke about Captain America isn't a diss on him though? at least not if u watch the after-credits.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I really do hope that the lead actress does well in the MCU. She's a fantastic actor. I've been a huge fan since orphan black
    Me too. Maslany was mindblowingly fantastic in Orphan Black, it wasn't just "new wig new character" she actually brought different people to life including one clone pretending to be another and as a long time viewer you actually saw the layers. Amazing actress.

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Nobody else has blood where a single drop can kill you or turn you in to a demigod. And unless they retcon the leader then the rare gene that keeps you from dying isn't really rare as people think. But If the people cleaning up are all dying from single drops of hulk blood of course criminals would be using it for assassinations since they would have no reason to believe it could make you a hulk.
    Sterns didn't get pure Hulk Blood...he got some of the treated blood. And we still haven't seen him since.

    And the only people that are immediately dying from Hulk blood are the ones that are actually ingesting it or getting it mixed in with their open wounds. And these are only from the rare occassions where someone has actually made Hulk bleed. It's not like there's going to be any huge stockpiles of it. It's hard to make Hulk bleed in the first place and he heals quickly. A single ounce of Hulk blood would be priceless. You show me people that are using that to kill regular ass people and I'll show you some fucking morons.

    You're basically creating a problem that does not exist.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-08-21 at 09:42 PM.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  13. #253
    I watched the first episode and it was alright.
    Like, it was servicable but nothing ground breaking.

    Still, it is impossible to deny that Marvel has gotten way more... preachy.
    Like, you have Jen cry to Bruce about cat-calling. Bruce Banner.

    I'm not saying that this might not be an issue for IRL people but the MCU is not IRL.

    In a world where cosmos ending threats come every other year (or even less) the least interesting thing you could come up with as a struggle is some real-life nothing like "cat-calling".

    In End-game we had the whole post-Blip therapy group and the massive tablets with names and all that shit.
    If Disney wants to make a movie about some drama then they should use their in-universe tragedies as a basis, not irl inconveniences.
    It just doesn't make sense, this clearly shows to me that they care more about pandering then what actually makes sense in their universe.

    Also the world in general should be way more... sad (?) in these TV shows.
    Like Clint had some PTSD or whatever in Hawkeye but like that as it. Everyone talks about the Blip like it was a joke.

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    The joke about Captain America isn't a diss on him though? at least not if u watch the after-credits.
    I didn't make it to the end, lost me after she-hulk splains how she deals with infinitely more rage line. If I want to be a contrarian I would say the whatever happens after the credits is a way for them to have an out about poking at his virginity, and not because they weren't being serious. Either way show isn't for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  15. #255
    The Insane Chickat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    19,143
    Looks boring to me imo. And its not because its a female super hero. A wonderwoman show would be great. Ive just always found the hulk boring, and I'm sure she existed in the comics before this, but I had never heard of her before this show. Still, I haven't watched it so maybe I'm wrong.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymorilix View Post
    I watched the first episode and it was alright.
    Like, it was servicable but nothing ground breaking.

    Still, it is impossible to deny that Marvel has gotten way more... preachy.
    Like, you have Jen cry to Bruce about cat-calling. Bruce Banner.

    I'm not saying that this might not be an issue for IRL people but the MCU is not IRL.

    In a world where cosmos ending threats come every other year (or even less) the least interesting thing you could come up with as a struggle is some real-life nothing like "cat-calling".
    There's been exactly 1 "Cosmos ending threat" in the MCU. There's been a couple of world-ending threats...but most people wouldn't have even been aware of those things until after the fact...if at all.

    The vast majority of people in the MCU live lives that are about as regular and average as anyone IRL. Before getting Hulked up...Jen was one of those people. Her experiences up until this point of her life will be likely comparable to any average women IRL. So yeah, that would include catcalling, sexual harassment, etc. Sorry if those things aren't "interesting" enough for you.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I didn't make it to the end, lost me after she-hulk splains how she deals with infinitely more rage line. If I want to be a contrarian I would say the whatever happens after the credits is a way for them to have an out about poking at his virginity, and not because they weren't being serious. Either way show isn't for me.
    People are interested in famous people fucking. Like I knew a dude who had a bit part in a Virginia Madsen movie and there was a fair bit of talk of how hot she was in real life. And this was a low tier celebrity.

    If my cousin knew a hawt extremely famous person there would be talking about fucking. Lots of it. Because human beings are filthy creatures with impure thoughts.

    You might be right about the show being not for you. Sit-coms are definitely not for people without a sense of humor.

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    People are interested in famous people fucking. Like I knew a dude who had a bit part in a Virginia Madsen movie and there was a fair bit of talk of how hot she was in real life. And this was a low tier celebrity.

    If my cousin knew a hawt extremely famous person there would be talking about fucking. Lots of it. Because human beings are filthy creatures with impure thoughts.

    You might be right about the show being not for you. Sit-coms are definitely not for people without a sense of humor.
    What the fuck are you on about? I have never heard or talked about someone I don't knows (like have talked to/am familiar with) virginity (and find those conversations fucking awkward and weird to even think about), talking about virginity is MUCH MUCH MUCH different than talking about wanting to have sex with an individual.

    I enjoy good sit-coms, this is not one of them. To each their own, if YOU are offended I don't like the show you might need help buddy. Never said people couldn't like it.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-08-21 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

  19. #259
    On trying to rate Maslany on attractiveness, I think the entire discussion is a bit off base. The comparison shouldn't be Hemsworth or Evans.

    Maslany should be compared to RDJ. She's got that kind of presence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Great numbers on this one. The lead actress really is carrying this show. She's probably gonna get a big re-up and start leading films if the minutes and engagement continue to be high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Me too. Maslany was mindblowingly fantastic in Orphan Black, it wasn't just "new wig new character" she actually brought different people to life including one clone pretending to be another and as a long time viewer you actually saw the layers. Amazing actress.
    Yeah, she did so much in that show. I was regularly surprised when I saw the cast list because it was so short, before I remembered that duh, Maslany plays over half the characters.

    The clones impersonating clones scenes were always a delight, how you could see the layers where it's one character pretending to be another character even though both of them actually look identical.

  20. #260
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    73,881
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I didn't make it to the end, lost me after she-hulk splains how she deals with infinitely more rage line.
    Literally not something that was said.

    When you folks have to just straight-up lie about the show, it's clear your issues aren't with the show itself.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •