Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Yet somehow an antisocial dimwit like myself can somehow stir up enough empathy in myself to believe women when they say they don’t like being catcalled. There are vast amounts of bad things that I’ve never experienced yet somehow I can see why other people did not like them.
    Yeah, it's really not that complicated. One doesn't need to have been subjected to the exact same situation to sympathize with another person in that situation. At a basic level, being "catcalled" is a situation where the person is being made to feel uncomfortable, perhaps even threatened, by the actions of people around them.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Shows like this remind me of a very apt phrase that always springs to mind when I see people defending media that isn't very good purely because of a political or socialogical bent.

The bigotry of low expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Shows like this remind me of a very apt phrase that always springs to mind when I see people defending media that isn't very good purely because of a political or socialogical bent.

The bigotry of low expectations.
    Posts like this remind me of a very apt word that always springs to mind when I see people attacking media that’s pretty good because of political or sociological bent.

Bigotry. (No need for a phrase, one word suffices).

You’re not the noble philosopher you think you are and quality is in the eye of the beholder.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Nevermind the fact that in the context of the comment i've replied to, you have to keep in mind that we're talking about a show, whose purpose is primarily to entertain.
    Listening to people complain about the sex that they're part of, is something i would generally file under "not entertaining".
    Man this is such a shit way to view media, if you don’t want to watch shows where people deal with real issues or don’t act like every thing is great all the time you should Stick to happy fun kid shows.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Posts like this remind me of a very apt word that always springs to mind when I see people attacking media that’s pretty good because of political or sociological bent.

Bigotry. (No need for a phrase, one word suffices).

You’re not the noble philosopher you think you are and quality is in the eye of the beholder.
    The eloquent retort of "nu uh you are"

How very insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I guess you just don't know what mansplaining means, then?

It's not just about the fact that sometimes people are condescending assholes who think they know everything and you know nothing - that is indeed something that can and does happen to everyone at some point.

It's about the fact that people ASSUME you know nothing BECAUSE you are a woman, i.e. it's a situation that would NOT happen to a man at that kind of frequency and with that kind of intensity (although to be fair, "womansplaining" does exist it's just a lot more context-specific and a lot rarer).

It's precisely the fact that this happens so much more to women that makes it a problem. If you ignore that and just focus on the act itself, of course it would seem like a universal problem. But that's missing the point of the term entirely.

(And yes I am aware of the self-referrential irony of me explaining this to you).
    That was some nice mansplaining you did there.

I think it's hilarious because as a man, I've had tons of men 'mansplain' stuff to me. Lots of times very condescending, lots of time in fields where I have expertise and they don't. So I think it's hilarious that women think they are unique in this situation, that men ONLY condescend to them and ONLY because they are women.

So if the only reason men condescend to women is because women are women, then why do you suppose men condescend to men (all the time)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    the fact that you don't see the difference between asking for a name date and a GROUP OF GUYS FOLLOWING A SINGLE WOMAN AT NIGHT EVEN AFTER SHE EXPRESSED NOT WANTING TO ENGAGE WITH THEM, NOT TAKING HER NO FOR AN ANSWER? makes me very worried for women you may encounter in daily life.

and to elaborate? what they were doing was signaling potential rape.
    I didn't see them follow her. I saw them leave the bar. When they left, they saw her and approached her. She was obviously not into them and they didn't get the hint, and I can understand why that would be irritating, and I can understand why that would warrant some harsh words spoken to them. I can't see that as a reason to hulk out and probably killed one of them.

If they had been drinking (which is what folks tend to do in a bar) I can completely understand why they didn't get the hint. So maybe if we outlaw drinking, or only allow drinking in gender segregated isolation, it will fix this problem. My sober friends never have these problems, so maybe we need to bring back prohibition?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    She was in control in that moment, and never did anything remotely harmful to any of those guys. Bruce tackled her first. Way to demonstrate you didn't even watch the show you're complaining about.

Jen "hulking" isn't a loss of control. At all. In any respect whatsoever. That's not how She-Hulk works.
    She obviously hulked out a few times in that episode as a direct response to her rage, so you don't have to mansplain it to me, tell the show writers, 'cause they don't seem to get it.

And you are right, I had to re-watch it just now. When I watched it originally it looks like she blasted one of the dudes, but on rewatch I can see a blur came in at the last second and stopped her. So she can thank Bruce from saving her from killing a catcaller due to her uncontrollable rage.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

The eloquent retort of "nu uh you are"

How very insightful.
    And yet it has the exact same amount of merit your post had.

Seriously you said nothing a bunch of other asshats haven’t already said in this thread and dozens of others. The only question is which (insertfavouritesocialmediahere) culture warrior you pulled that quote from.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    1) Gal Gadot is already doing something else. And the whole point of She-Hulk is the contrast between her Human and Hulk form.
    2) No, she doesn't. She doesn't in the Comics and she doesn't here.
    3) Jokes were actually funny. She didn't do anything to the 3 creeps because Hulk tackled her and brought her to his Island.

There is little to no difference between Bruce donating blood and the blood getting into her on accident.
    Yeah..1 drop or 1 liter...not a huge difference....I am actually speechless seeing such a dumb comment....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    She obviously hulked out a few times in that episode as a direct response to her rage, so you don't have to mansplain it to me, tell the show writers, 'cause they don't seem to get it.
    Keep using "mansplain" incorrectly, really shows your bias.

She was angry that second time with the three guys. But not out of control at all. And she was completely in control in every other time she went green. This is explicitly stated, so there's no room for confusion. You're confusing "feeling anger" with being out of control.

And you are right, I had to re-watch it just now. When I watched it originally it looks like she blasted one of the dudes, but on rewatch I can see a blur came in at the last second and stopped her. So she can thank Bruce from saving her from killing a catcaller due to her uncontrollable rage.
    Literally wasn't ever gonna happen, and the show made that clear nearly immediately. But you're ignoring that, because you've got an agenda, and you'll misrepresent whatever you need to make the facts fit that agenda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cateran100 View Post
    Yeah..1 drop or 1 liter...not a huge difference....I am actually speechless seeing such a dumb comment....
    Given that the gamma shift for Hulk conjures up hundreds of pounds of mass out of literally nowhere, this seems like a silly distinction to try and draw. The gamma properties don't operate by real-world physics concepts like "conservation of mass" or "the laws of thermodynamics". It's superhero world physics.

And yet it has the exact same amount of merit your post had.

Seriously you said nothing a bunch of other asshats haven’t already said in this thread and dozens of others. The only question is which (insertfavouritesocialmediahere) culture warrior you pulled that quote from.
    I believe the first time I heard it was on Bill Maher's show.

Notice how you felt the need insult people posting? Notice how angry you sound? You may want to seek some help.

- - - Updated - - -

But you're ignoring that, because you've got an agenda, and you'll misrepresent whatever you need to make the facts fit that agenda.
    The irony..... woo boy

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's your problem. Maher's always been an enormous bigot and he's kind of a shithead in general. He'd be a card-carrying Republican except he likes weed too much.

The irony..... woo boy
    My "agenda" is I want to discuss the She-Hulk show without agenda-pushing woman-haters lying about the show to talk about how much they hate feminism and women in general.

But here we are.

I think it's hilarious because as a man, I've had tons of men 'mansplain' stuff to me.
    No, you haven't. You're just demonstrating that despite my explanation, you still don't understand what the term is about. It's NOT about the fact that some man explained something to you condescendingly; it's about the fact that this happens to women disproportionately more often and with even more condescension.

So if the only reason men condescend to women is because women are women, then why do you suppose men condescend to men (all the time)?
    In your case, I'd wager it's related to the fact that you just got a detailed explanation yet ignored it completely just because you had to get your answer in the way you planned it. So maybe it's, you know, no coincidence that people in your life feel they need to explain things to you real slow-like.

I'm just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by cateran100 View Post
    Hulk blood is very potent. 1 drop of hulk blood would have been a lethal dose for pretty much anyone else. And Jen got considerably more than 1 drop... i would say that she got at least a splash...perhaps even a glug.

- - - Updated - - -

She was angry that second time with the three guys. But not out of control at all. And she was completely in control in every other time she went green. This is explicitly stated, so there's no room for confusion. You're confusing "feeling anger" with being out of control.
    And, even if we were to concede that she was "out of control" (which, to be clear, is not something I think we need to concede) she had a pretty bad day before that and she had no idea she was now a Hulk... a momentary lapse of self-control in that situation would be pretty understandable.

- - - Updated - - -

Notice how you felt the need insult people posting? Notice how angry you sound? You may want to seek some help.
    Gee, it sounds like you are saying that some people are better able to control their anger then others....
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-08-24 at 01:44 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Shocker. Could’ve been worse. You could be hanging on Ethan van Sciver’s nuts.

I replied to you. You didn’t have to come into the thread and start waving your flag. I come into this thread to see if someone raised an interesting point about the show I might’ve missed. You came here to do a low rent Bill Maher impression. Seriously do you see me going into threads about shows I don’t care about and shitting all over them?

The biggest problem with She-Hulk is that the Hulk is still under Universal’s thumb. She’s a contrast to a character that doesn’t have enough character development because Disney doesn’t control his film rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    In your case, I'd wager it's related to the fact that you just got a detailed explanation yet ignored it completely just because you had to get your answer in the way you planned it. So maybe it's, you know, no coincidence that people in your life feel they need to explain things to you real slow-like.

I'm just sayin'.
    The hilarity is that you don't realize this applies to literally anyone who complains about being "mansplained" to. If someone is explaining something to you, they are mansplaining, because you are smart and they are dumb, but if you are explaining something to someone else, it's not mansplaining, because they are dumb and you are smart.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Just to change the subject a little. Jen is maybe 2/3rd's the size of Bruce and her She-Hulk is nothing anywhere close to that of Bruce's when you compare the two So why not just go with her exposure was way less and thus not as bad as his. Further she knew a lot of what was going to happen to her on at least an intellectual level, Bruce didn't at the time he was exposed. Huge difference.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2022-08-24 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Just to change the subject a little. Jen is maybe 2/3rd's the size of Bruce and her She-Hulk is nothing anywhere close to that of Bruce's when yoy comparie the two So why not just go with her exposure was way less and thus not as bad as his. Further she knew a lot of what was going to happen to her on at least an intellectual level, Bruce didn't at the time he was exposed. Huge difference.
    The difference is Jen doesn't have Disassociative Identity Disorder. There is no "Other guy" in her head. So when she Hulks out...she's still the one driving the car. It's the exact same situation with Emil Blonsky... he was a "Smart Hulk" right off the bat too. Every Hulk that isn't Bruce Banner defaults to a "Smart Hulk" state.

I see the woke echo chamber is still in full effect here. Keep it up!

Men are bad and anyone who doesn't like the show is a bigot, no matter the actual reason

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Hulk blood is very potent. 1 drop of hulk blood would have been a lethal dose for pretty much anyone else. And Jen got considerably more than 1 drop... i would say that she got at least a splash...perhaps even a glug.
    The thing with the blood is fine, in the good hulk movie, the Leader as created by a few drops of bloods entering the wounds on his head, so this checks out with other movies, plus, explain why she don't change that much when turn, not much blood = not much radiation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Just to change the subject a little. Jen is maybe 2/3rd's the size of Bruce and her She-Hulk is nothing anywhere close to that of Bruce's when yoy comparie the two So why not just go with her exposure was way less and thus not as bad as his. Further she knew a lot of what was going to happen to her on at least an intellectual level, Bruce didn't at the time he was exposed. Huge difference.
    But that is the thing, her exposition was not as huge as the hulk, and she does not have multiple personalities inside her head, that is the only reason she can stay in control. Im pretty sure in one of the Immortal Hulk arcs, when she was with the avengers, she was bigger and more monstrous than now, and was losing control there, but i don't remember if it was the start of another personality

Im pretty sure Banner is much better at controlling rage than her, showing how he can control when to transform and "cancel" the transformation(most of times) he learned that in his movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    The difference is Jen doesn't have Disassociative Identity Disorder. There is no "Other guy" in her head. So when she Hulks out...she's still the one driving the car. It's the exact same situation with Emil Blonsky... he was a "Smart Hulk" right off the bat too. Every Hulk that isn't Bruce Banner defaults to a "Smart Hulk" state.
    Red-hulk too, even Sasquatch later got his mind back, but that is not assuming the whole beastlands thing

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    I see the woke echo chamber is still in full effect here. Keep it up!

Men are bad and anyone who doesn't like the show is a bigot, no matter the actual reason
    I don't know if you've even read the posts, I know you definitely haven't watched the show, but pretty sure people who are blatantly making shit up are the ones mostly being called out here. Quite literally drawing conclusions based on things that weren't even said, just their own (or in some cases others) wrong memories of what was said