Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Sure. Or the quality has gone to shit and instead of Robert downy Jr, Chris Evans, scarlett johansson putting in some decent acting and carrying material you are now left with lame cultural references and a middling legal series that makes the show suits look emmy worthy because quantity not quality right
    How would you know? You already admitted to not watching the show.

Sure. Or the quality has gone to shit and instead of Robert downy Jr, Chris Evans, scarlett johansson putting in some decent acting and carrying material you are now left with lame cultural references and a middling legal series that makes the show suits look emmy worthy because quantity not quality right
    You're comparing movies to a show. You're also comparing drama to comedy.

This isn't a "legal show". It's a comedy that happens to have some legal backdrop. It's like calling Iron Man a film about engineering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Full disclosure I haven't watch the show.
    How would you have any idea about any of this, again?

Makes you wonder where you're getting your talking points and why you feel the need to push that agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Just to be clear: most legal shows - ESPECIALLY legal comedies - get the basics of court wrong ALL. THE. TIME. Conversing with the jury, meandering around the bench as they please, asking outrageously inappropriate questions of witnesses in outrageously inappropriate ways... all that and more.

This isn't special.
    I went to law school because of Law & Order only to find out how fucking ridiculous Law & Order actually is, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I went to law school because of Law & Order only to find out how fucking ridiculous Law & Order actually is, lol.
    Well, at least it wasn't Boston Legal

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    The basics of court are pretty irrelevant. I don’t think there’s a courtroom movie or TV series that couldn’t be absolutely shredded to pieces by an actual lawyer. Even a top tier classic like A Few Good Men is FILLED with inaccuracies and nonsensical stuff from a legal perspective but no one gives a shit because it’s about the drama (or in the case of She-Hulk, the comedy) not the courtroom basics. This is a silly standard to hold the show to.
    A Few Good Men is one of the worst offenders. No way would Tom Cruise's line of questioning be allowed in court. Prosecution should have shut him down like 5 separate times, and the judge woulda held him in contempt if he kept pushing. You're not allowed to just go on fishing expeditions like that against any witness, let alone a decorated general like Jack Nicholson's character in a military tribunal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    How would you know? You already admitted to not watching the show.
    Quit acting like you caught me on a burner account. I openly admitted that for the sake of open discussion and in typical Internet fashion you detectives act like thats some big gotcha moment

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    How would you have any idea about any of this, again?

Makes you wonder where you're getting your talking points and why you feel the need to push that agenda.
    Quoted for same shit as just said Mr detective

Quit acting like you caught me on a burner account. I openly admitted that for the sake of open discussion and in typical Internet fashion you detectives act like thats some big gotcha moment
    An open discussion would be you watching the show and then discussing it. Right now your just slinging mud for the sake of slinging mud.

It's really reached the point where people go "I've never eaten at this restaurant, but I HATE their food!" and think they're making legitimate contributions?

10+ Year Old Account
    I find the series to be quite fun.

It pleasantly kills 30 minutes of my time. And this week episode has done the same.

I really like Wong on this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Were you dissapointed with the lack of DUN-DUN when the case started?

I know I would be.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

ok, just to clarify. I understand that its going to be inaccurate and I understand the point of comedy. my problem is when comedy starts to supersede character development to the point of being jarring, unless the point is that the character is supposed to be incompetent.

for example, lets take Leverage. that series while bases itself on actual real life inspirations, its WILDLY exaggerated in terms of what characters actualy do. there are always vents for Parker to climb through and lasers to gymnastic her way through, Hardison engages in ridiculously wide variety of arts and crafts and his hacking is NOT on a level of "Hackers" in its ridiculousness, but its not exactly 100% realistic either, Eliot gets to beat up some mooks and for whatever reason its always hand to hand, and always very showy, Sofie cons her way through some very implausible situations sometimes.... and yet.... I never fell thrown out of the story, because both original and the reunion shows take pains to not just tell me that characters are competent - but also shows me.

with Jen... I don't get that. I feel like we are being told that she is competent... but we are not shown that. what we ARE shown is that she gets lucky. yes. even though there are typically circumstances that make things harder for her - she STILL gets lucky with things. she doesn't seem to win through competence. and that bothers me unless showing that she is not actualy competent despite her assurances otherwise - is the whole point. maybe it is, the show is barely half way through.

I still find a lot of the bits funny and overall, I'm enjoying it, but there ARE things about the way its written that bother me, because to me they feel like the narrative is just a tad disjointed where too many things feel like a series of comedy skits set within the same universe, using the same characters, but they are still separate skits rather then a cohesive story, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post

Were you dissapointed with the lack of DUN-DUN when the case started?

I know I would be.
    I was more disappointed in the abject inability of competent investigation by NYPD. But it was good for me, since I didn't go into prosecution but public defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    The basics of court are pretty irrelevant. I don’t think there’s a courtroom movie or TV series that couldn’t be absolutely shredded to pieces by an actual lawyer. Even a top tier classic like A Few Good Men is FILLED with inaccuracies and nonsensical stuff from a legal perspective but no one gives a shit because it’s about the drama (or in the case of She-Hulk, the comedy) not the courtroom basics. This is a silly standard to hold the show to.
    It's the standard case of when you run out of things that are good about a show/movie, every bad detail comes to the forefront. If something is enjoyable or entertaining, minor imperfections can be glossed over. If something is trash tier, everything bad gets amplified. The reason for this is that you're actually trying to find something to grasp onto, which in the case of good content is usually something entertaining or interesting. If there's nothing to grasp onto, either people call the content out for what it is or try to rationalize how it's not that bad and they aren't wasting their time. It also doesn't help that the media puff pieces put out by Marvel are trying to highlight aspects of the show as good but are actually bad... can only blame them for telling viewers to focus on these aspects.

The problem with She-Hulk is that it's not a legal show, nor is it a comedy show. Well, it TRIES to be comedy but it's comes off as pandering to a demographic that is extremely niche and not really representative of the average person that would consider watching the show. The messaging in the show is all over the place and commonly contradicts what it has already established. Scenarios and writing is just awful, coming off as completely disjointed from the MCU overall and the show itself, as well as people not acting like real people or reacting as someone would to the situations (and this isn't just for 'comedy' scenes). From the news articles and interviews of the creators, it's not really a surprise when they admit their own incompetence and describe scenes/events in their show in a light that no rational person would given how the show portrays them.

For example, there was an article about this episode where the writers talk about how we should legitimately feel heartbroken at the end of episode 4 when things don't end well with that dating app hookup... why? How is it rational to think that basically hooking up for what is basically a quicky under misleading pretenses is going to end well, especially when Walters knows it's the wrong thing to do the entire time to the point of literally 4th wall breaking about it? Even more, are we supposed to think that a one-night hookup will necessarily go well when it's based upon such superficiality show in the show? Even the guy was said to be 'perfect' by the writers, but it was so unrealistic yet not intended to be a gag while also having some underlying messaging that the writers probably didn't intend when analyzing the scenarios and actions that took place. If anything, I think it's perfectly clear the writers are insanely out of touch with the real world many people live in to where their writing and comedy is completely out of touch with most people who would even watch this show.

I'll give episode 4 props for finally giving me a slight smirk when the magician showed the magic trick of summoning a bird only to give the middle finger, but only because I imagined it as a meta joke of him giving the show the middle finger. Only reason I've stuck with it this long is because I have friends that ask me about these shows to see if they're good or bad, and I got stuck with She-Hulk while others got the better end of the deal with shows like HotD. Also the episodes are sub-30min if you cut out the credits, so the pain is short lived. Can't say I'm not giving the show a chance to recover, but I'm fairly certain the show isn't going to get any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    with Jen... I don't get that. I feel like we are being told that she is competent... but we are not shown that. what we ARE shown is that she gets lucky. yes. even though there are typically circumstances that make things harder for her - she STILL gets lucky with things. she doesn't seem to win through competence. and that bothers me unless showing that she is not actualy competent despite her assurances otherwise - is the whole point. maybe it is, the show is barely half way through.
    Unfortunately, this is the standard of character writing for the MCU right now (also Rings of Power if we're going beyond the MCU). It's not just She-Hulk, it's been most of the current phase of the MCU: we constantly get told things about characters, but it's never shown or demonstrated through the actual character's words and/or actions. It feels like every character suffers from needing to be validated by a third party in these shows/movies, because that's how the writers communicate traits about characters. What's worse is that what we're told tends to conflict with the actual words/actions of the characters themselves. We get told how wonderful, amazing, and competent a character is in a show/movie, only to have the plot and actions show them as an unlikable moron who doesn't embody any of the traits were told.

Simply put, it's bad writing. If a writer can't construct a story where the viewers can infer or deduce what we should know about the characters through their words and actions, that's usually bad writing. To cover it up, bad writers just have the character themselves or a third party just deliver on-the-nose exposition to tell the audience exactly who they are, what they're feeling, and so forth. If there is a disconnect between how the viewer perceives the actions/thoughts/motivations of a character and what the writer blatantly tells us via forced exposition are the attributes of said character, that's usually a good sign that the writing is awful.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't get bonus points for admitting your ignorance. You're not even the first person in this thread to just regurgitate some random youtubers opinion about a show that you have not watched.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit posting =/= "open discussion"

You made it clear your opinion held no value and now people are ignoring it, big surprise.
    /s

The fourth episode is a mess. I don't like to make judgements of an entire show without watching all of it, that's why i usually prefer to go episode by episode (and why i'll watch the remaining episodes too). But so far bad writing is the best way to describe the entire thing. In my opinion it doesn't work as any of the things that it's meant to be... it doesn't work as a lawyers sitcom (they didn't even try), it doesn't work as a comedy and it doesn't work as a super hero show.

This is essentially a women show dressed up as part of the MCU, there is nothing wrong with that and i knew from the first episode that i was not the target audience, but i hoped that being part of the MCU they at least tried to appeal to a more general public because in the end the MCU as a brand is targeted to a wide audience. Something similar happened with Ms Marvel, but unlike she-hulk, i felt that it was made in a way that it could be enjoyed by everyone interested in the MCU even if some parts of the show where built to appeal to different demographics.

And let's be honest, being part of the MCU is the only reason why this show has so much interest and debate around it. Is not the first time a lawyers sitcom with a female protagonist has been made and the twist of her having superpowers would be irrelevant if the show was about Ally McBeal turning green with superstrength instead of She-hulk from Marvel.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Quoted for same shit as just said Mr detective
    you didn't answer their question though

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    The fourth episode is a mess. I don't like to make judgements of an entire show without watching all of it, that's why i usually prefer to go episode by episode (and why i'll watch the remaining episodes too).
    You're more tolerant than I am. If I think a new show is promising I'll give it a go for the first three episodes to win me over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    The fourth episode is a mess. I don't like to make judgements of an entire show without watching all of it, that's why i usually prefer to go episode by episode (and why i'll watch the remaining episodes too). But so far bad writing is the best way to describe the entire thing. In my opinion it doesn't work as any of the things that it's meant to be... it doesn't work as a lawyers sitcom (they didn't even try), it doesn't work as a comedy and it doesn't work as a super hero show.
    This is also my take. It started awkward and is not improving thus far: the comedy is cringe-inducing, the 4th wall breaking doesn't fit the character or the vibe and feels defensive, the legal cases are ridiculous or uninteresting (we're supposed to care if Blonsky can get parole or not?!), none of the character relationships have any depth, and there are no stakes. I don't think this is just because it's not my kind of TV; any lawyer show I've seen has interesting cases with actual stakes and complexity, as well as office politics among the regulars, all of which this show seems to forgo. Maybe its the short episode length, but the whole thing feels very shallow. I really feel sorry for the vfx people who had to work so hard on making a digital protagonist for this sub-par product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    there are no stakes
    [...]
    any lawyer show I've seen has interesting cases with actual stakes and complexity
    I think their problem is largely that they didn't quite make clear to people what this was.

This is a sitcom. There are no stakes because "boss is coming to dinner" is about as high as it gets for sitcom stakes - that's just the genre. And it's not a lawyer show either, the legal stuff is just backdrop and window dressing.

It's a sitcom about a woman who's got a green problem in her life, and the hijinks that ensue. It's not a drama. It doesn't need or want stakes.

The problem is, a lot of people thought this was going to be a lot more like previous MCU shows. Not necessarily super serious, but serious enough to slot into that lineup. And it's just not that, and never tried to be. They may have just not done a good enough job explaining that to people.